Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,745 members, 7,817,056 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 01:47 AM

Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. - Politics (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. (8512 Views)

Tribunal Judgement: Wike Returns To A Rousing Reception In Port Harcourt / Female Trekker From Enugu To Abuja Gets Warm Reception From NOA (photos) / Gov Rochas Okorocha Receives Heroes Reception (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by emekagh(m): 10:07pm On Aug 12, 2009
Hillary Clinton was received at the airport (that I saw on TV). If not by Nigeria officials, then I wonder who it was then who received her. But I'm very sure it wasn't the MEND boys or Boko Haram thugs.

It is not compulsory that our President must personally welcome a Secretary of State at the airport. That is protocol.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by whobemumu(m): 10:12pm On Aug 12, 2009
a bunch of fools

u dont snub the US

for any reason
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by naliakar: 10:18pm On Aug 12, 2009
whobemumu:

a bunch of fools

u dont snub the US

for any reason

Simple. Someone forgot to bribe the Nigerian minster for foreign affairs. The minister could not just receive Hillary with un-greased hands.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by naijaway(m): 10:20pm On Aug 12, 2009
How can some people make a big deal about traditional rulers aka national unity hinderers aka election riggers aka lazy multitudes but still yet want to drive the best cars, fly in planes and never forget their pin numbers to all their accounts off head. Clinton was probably going to thrash them on their backward mentality and told them how much of a hinderer they are and also tell them about womens right and so on.
 I don't have much to say but the earlier our govt takes a firm line on abled men taking advantage of the populace from within the govt circle and these so called rulers the better we become. These so called rulers are abled men turned very lazy and very oppressive; so the earlier the govt leaves them out of decision making in every front, what every the populace knows is what they know; they shouldn't be able to decree anything outside their house to anyone not their direct family anywhere even in the walkway in front of their crib at anytime of the day; They shouldn't be given any cash from the FG or state or local govt. Nigeria is sickening because we would rather ignore reality than live up to it and give it the best shot.  
   Like someone said earlier, i don't think Hillary did personally want to stop in Nigeria if she had her way because aside from the happy faces and welcoming populace she would see there's no absolute mind blowing tourism she can wish to go see. Atleast, some nation have taj mahal, great wall, slave sites, world class museums, very matured and mind blowing beaches, breath taking hill tops and mountains, tallest buildings, great restaurants whereby along the road to the restaurants you can get a feel of the country a little bit by looking through the side window and not through the windshield like a driver because of some concerns due to very dangerous roads that can make anyone not pay attention to someone beside you talking economy when you are busy thinking life and health.
  Nigeria, we can keep thinking ego, believing in a very uncaring and greedy nation like china. Obama is in power now, and I bet u if yar adua talks to obama one on one like look my guy, we know u want oil and a few other resources but I also want you to convenience your engineers and scientist to do some of your searches here without hindering knowledge and don't make it a racial thing, I bet u obama will see sense in that and help out atleast they get resources and we get pay, training and education; even if a new govt comes in and try to limit knowledge flowing to naija it might be too late or feel entangled due to the importance of the resource. Unlike china that don't give a ish.
 May God bless Nigeria and the USA.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 10:24pm On Aug 12, 2009
emeka_gh:

Hillary Clinton was received at the airport (that I saw on TV). If not by Nigeria officials, then I wonder who it was then who received her. But I'm very sure it wasn't the MEND boys or Boko Haram thugs.

It is not compulsory that our President must personally welcome a Secretary of State at the airport. That is protocol.

Oh, so she was actually recieved at the airport? Then why all the noise here? Na wa o.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Gbawe: 10:24pm On Aug 12, 2009
emeka_gh:

Guys make una see through the hullabaloo !!!! Yar Adua's and his sycophants are just peeved that Hilary ,as opposed to what obtained before, is hellbent on meeting those who have been speaking against the Yar Adua Government  . The USA would be daft not to provide Nigeria with important details of Clintons visit like her date and time of arrival. She just did not want her detailed itenary known so that this dictatorial and intolerant FG cannot scupper her chances of meeting those she badly wants to meet. Let us not forget that this is a Government that has shown itself as decietful in how it will use priviledged information to abet corruption and criminality rather that arrest it !!!!

Who actually knows that she entertained the civil society today and provided ernest answers to questions from the likes of Femi Falana ?

Did any Russian, Chinese and Spanish leader show an interest in meeting with those outside Government in Nigeria ? Fashionable to hate the USA but abeg lets take it easy and not make ourselves our own worst enemies by defending the actions of an openly corrupt and decietful Government everyone is now deploying tact to deal with. If Yar Adua's Government is not repressive and intolerant of opposition Clinton would not have had to keep her planned meetings close to her chest. Regardless of how we viewed the USA in the past  we must , if we love our nation , welcome this new direction in its foreign policy towards Nigeria under Obama. Let us hope it is enduring and consistent.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 10:25pm On Aug 12, 2009
whobemumu:

a bunch of fools

u dont snub the US

for any reason

Because they are Gods?
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by nex(m): 10:43pm On Aug 12, 2009
@whobemumu

since Nigeria has snobbed the Gods' own country, USA, let's see the world end.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Nobody: 10:57pm On Aug 12, 2009
i personally don't like americans but even if your enemy comes knocking at your door, you have no other choice but to welcome him.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Nobody: 11:14pm On Aug 12, 2009
To be very frank with ya all, am not surprised about the way she was treated. Nigerian leaders dont like to be told the truth on how currupt they are and why they need to change for the better, They are the real reason why we are where we are today!!!
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by AjanleKoko: 11:16pm On Aug 12, 2009
I think she was actually received, not sure where that report came from.
Even if she wasn't, I sincerely doubt that it was due to some do-me-i-do-you angst.
Probably some cock-up by some lazy officials who didn't check her itinerary, or bother to organise a reception.
No be Naija we dey?
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by toideve(m): 12:21am On Aug 13, 2009
minister of foreign affairs was there to receive her? should the whole nation stand still because of her? abegi
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by vigasimple(m): 1:09am On Aug 13, 2009
The way 'our leader' run this country is a joke.

I watched on AIT (focus Nigeria),and it was shameful, Hilary clinton was being met by tarmac staff in their uniforms(about 5 of them), and from the Nigerian governemnt ( deputy Ambassador and another junior officer). That is serious matter in diplomatic circle.

Nigeria we pay for it, unfortunately it will only affect the ordinary people. our politicians and leaders are master scammer, fraudsters, and chronic corrupt who cannot run an ordinary nursery schols let alone run a whole country. They are whinning like school children who have been chastised for their ugly behaiour which is true.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by chyk91(m): 1:34am On Aug 13, 2009
na wa 4 our politicians o
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by whobemumu(m): 3:12am On Aug 13, 2009
@all who criticise my post

not becos they are gods but becos they are simply the most powerful nation on earth

even the uk trembles to america and much of nigerias probs can get some assistance from themm ,

training of manpower and aid , but those folls wont see it like that

instead they have signed awway naija gas to russia

why cant we sell it ourselves ?
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 3:25am On Aug 13, 2009
whobemumu:

@all who criticise my post

not becos they are gods but becos they are simply the most powerful nation on earth

even the uk trembles to america and much of nigerias probs can get some assistance from themm ,

training of manpower and aid , but those folls wont see it like that

instead they have signed awway naija gas to russia

why cant we sell it ourselves ?

The UK tremble at the USA? BULLS@#T!! So because they're powerful, we should kiss their ass? The then Bristish PM (Tony Blair) cossyness towards the US was the very reason he almost got kicked out of the job. It's the very reason Aznar of spain and Howard of Australia got kicked out of office. Also look at the world scene. It's now a multipolar (multipower) one with the rise of China. The US may still be a military power, but it definitely isn't an economic one as that power has shifted to the East. Besides, with two battle theatres, the US military is fully stretched.

By the way, we researve the right to trade with whoever we want, be it the US, Europe, Russia or China. Our market is not meant solely for the west. And our gas was NOT traded off to the Russians. Nigaz is a JOINT VENTURE between the NNPC and Gazprom. Maybe you should read about that.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 3:29am On Aug 13, 2009
vigasimple:

The way 'our leader' run this country is a joke.

I watched on AIT (focus Nigeria),and it was shameful, Hilary clinton was being met by tarmac staff in their uniforms(about 5 of them), and from the Nigerian governemnt ( deputy Ambassador and another junior officer). That is serious matter in diplomatic circle.

Nigeria we pay for it, unfortunately it will only affect the ordinary people. our politicians and leaders are master scammer, fraudsters, and chronic corrupt who cannot run an ordinary nursery schols let alone run a whole country. They are whinning like school children who have been chastised for their ugly behaiour which is true.

And what will they do? Place sanctions on us? Invade us? Abeg,
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 3:43am On Aug 13, 2009
Besides, the last time I checked, we had far more important economic & security issues to attend to. Running after the US Secretary of State, playing boiboi, and kissing the behind of the US isn't one of them. My country is not a vassal to the US.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by nex(m): 4:00am On Aug 13, 2009
@ocelot2006

wallahi, I dey feel you pass myself.

Nigerians don't know the times they're living in and they don't understand world politics.

Abeg leave all these perpetual Greencard applicants. Don't disturb them from their neverending praise and worship of the USA.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Kobojunkie: 4:07am On Aug 13, 2009
ocelot2006:

Besides, the last time I checked, we had far more important economic & security issues to attend to. Running after the US Secretary of State, playing boiboi, and kissing the behind of the US isn't one of them. My country is not a vassal to the US.

yess!!! Far more IMPORTANT economic and Security issues we have REFUSED to attend to All these years. Na the day Hillary show, we remember sef say we get security and economic issues wey dey important. I only hope these issues will not drop off by the time she leaves and we go back to IGNORING them in,  our usual way, by friday.  grin

Yes, let us pretend we are TOO BUSY for just two days so as to decieve the world, NOT!!! Roflmao!!! Like they have not been watching and figured out the kind of people we seem to be. WHo are we fooling rofllmao!!
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 5:08am On Aug 13, 2009
Hey, maybe you've not been following the news back in Nigeria, but we just had an uprising in 5 northern states by a terrorist groups (boko haram). Then there's the amnesty move in the Niger-delta region. Right now, the country's on a very high level security state. And then, there's the current recession. Do you think we have the bloody time to throw a fanfare for a mere secretary of State? If u're so eager to kiss her ass & that of the US, then pls feel free to head to the US consulate in abuja.

Jeez, heads of States have been to Nigeria & no one said jack. But a mere secretary of State comes, and everyone's whining like crazy. It's no wonder the americans look down on us.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Gbawe: 7:51am On Aug 13, 2009
ocelot2006:

Jeez, heads of States have been to Nigeria & no one said jack. But a mere secretary of State comes, and everyone's whining like crazy. It's no wonder the americans look down on us.

Perhaps. It still does not mean we threat her with barely concealed disdain.

The FG simply did not like how Hilary wanted to meet with everyone and not their sycophants and hirelings alone. This current FG is very worried about the intentions of America. A PDP bigwig openly alleged that president Obama and the USA are attempting to derail the Government of Yar Adua merely because Obama showed an interest in meeting with Nigerian opposition Politicians like Balarabe Musa and Bola Tinubu in Ghana.

Anyone who has been studying events of late between both Country will know that the USA simply does not trust our FG and its main representatives like Yar Adua, Aondoakaa, Waziri, etc . Indeed Clinton announced yesterday that the "EFCC has fallen off" !!!. The USA recently refused to share Halliburton info with Aondoakaa.

They have lost hope in Yar Adua and his Government. They see he is unrepentant and insincere. The USA , even as it will never admit it , is probably now ready to work with and support Nigerian opposition Politicians because it is obvious they have concluded , like many Nigerians , that Yar Adua's Government is not capable of driving Nigeria forward. this is why hilary harped on about electoral reforms yesterday. They know that Nigeria must get the chance to vote out a Government that is now clearly impeding her progress !!!!

Yar Adua may smile in public but he knows the USA has scant regard for him and his Govt because of actions ranging from how Obama snubbed him to America refusing to assist Nigeria with Halliburton info even as we have an MLAT (mutual legal assistance treaty) in place between both Countries!!!!

It is all those things our vindictive and vengeful President is reacting to by deliberately detailing lowly embassy Staff to recieve Clinton on arrival in Nigeria but if we all want to think otherwise and conclude that Hilary is a nonentity politician representing a "hypocritical" nation then fine.  please Take pride in your Governments action by stating that we are not the USA's "boiboi" but you should also note that you are not on the same wavelenght with a leader (Yar Adua) that pleaded for an audience with Obama only to be told  a blunt and humiliating NO by non other than Hilary Clinton.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Autoguy1(m): 9:02am On Aug 13, 2009
If you check the news, Yar-dua is out for medical check up again.  Apparently the guy must had been feeling ill for a while now, but no one will tell you that.  I will only advice the Nigerian Government to be careful in dealing with that nation, they have a long record for instigating, financing and participating in wars in other countries just to get at their resources (oil).  Its better to lick ass when you know you don't have the strength to fight the big boy.  Pride will only bring us ruin.

I'm sure it won't be surprising to find that Bin-Laden had relocated to Nigeria and the US army will move in to take him out, or a Niger delta Militant group will kidnap an American or even blow up an american ship, and this will urge them to want to move into the Niger delta to flush out militancy in the region. 

If there is no reason for a war, the US will create one.  They are good at it.

It is written " be as wise as a serpent but as as gentle as a dove"
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by nex(m): 9:36am On Aug 13, 2009
Let the USA bring war to Nigeria so that those Americano wannabes can see what the USA can do to human beings when they need Crude Oil.

The funny thing is that it is us in the Niger Delta that the USA army will come and annihilate. They will not disturb the Fulani much.

Anyway, the entire visit went just the way it should. They reaped what they'd sown.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by cassidy(f): 10:09am On Aug 13, 2009
We should all remember that Hilary Clinton is just a minister and u dont expect the President to go welcome her at the airport d best she deserve is for a minister to welcome her even at that it is only protocol and not binding, dat is why they have an ambassador here who is suppose to take care of their affairs like Robin did.

Remember the Abacha days when dey banned Nigeria Airways from flying in the British airspace he retaliated by banning British Airways from the Nigerian airspace and alas who had the worst hit, d british of course.

Maybe it is a good way to start - learning self respect then they will know we are a force to reckon with!!!!!!!!!!!
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Gbawe: 10:09am On Aug 13, 2009
nex:

Let the USA bring war to Nigeria so that those Americano wannabes can see what the USA can do to human beings when they need Crude Oil.

The funny thing is that it is us in the Niger Delta that the USA army will come and annihilate. They will not disturb the Fulani much.

Anyway, the entire visit went just the way it should. They reaped what they'd sown.

My guy , some of your intelligent arguement would have had more saliency and gravitas if you had , at the very least , acknowledged that Hilary's treatment may have more to do with the vengefulness of an insecure Government ,that feels it has been scorned and derided,  instead of the notion you are touting that our Government is now suddenly a moralistic champion teaching the USA a much needed lesson and fighting for the dignity of Africa when the same Government does not even respect the rights and dignity of its own people enough to let their vote count.

All what you argue are incidental , and not intrinsic , to our FG's reason for behaving the way it has. Clinton was not snubbed as a matter of Principle .  The entire World is aware that the current FG of Nigeria is highly vindictive, unprincipled, corrupt , hypocritical ,intolerant of criticism and hateful of opposition so it would be difficult to convince anyone that our FG's motivation is noble . If we feel that the USA is an evil bully why not , once and for all , Join the Ahmedinejads of the World in speaking our minds out loud? Why deploy petty acts of diplomatic mischief?
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Gbawe: 10:20am On Aug 13, 2009
cassidy:

We should all remember that Hilary Clinton is just a minister and u dont expect the President to go welcome her at the airport d best she deserve is for a minister to welcome her even at that it is only protocol and not binding, dat is why they have an ambassador here who is suppose to take care of their affairs like Robin did.

Remember the Abacha days when dey banned Nigeria Airways from flying in the British airspace he retaliated by banning British Airways from the Nigerian airspace and alas who had the worst hit, d british of course.

Maybe it is a good way to start - learning self respect then they will know we are a force to reckon with!!!!!!!!!!!

Sir, if it were a legitimate, effective and progressive Government justifiably aiming to 'teach' the USA a lesson I would applaud what you have said. When a vindictive, corrupt, illegitimate and tyrannical Government is acting vengefully over how it has been rightly ridiculed I don't think Nigerians , if we are politically mature , should confuse such actions as nationalistic .

By the way how are we a "force to reckon with" merely because we show childish petulence? Being a force to reckon with will mean strenght in areas such as education, GDP growth, infrastructural development, human development, disease control, industrial growth, healthcare delivery, ete, etc , etc .

We do not suddenly become a "force to reckon with" merely because we are acting like spoilt children while the fact remains that almost nothing work in our nation and our people remain some of the poorest and most oppressed in the entire World !!!!
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by cassidy(f): 10:42am On Aug 13, 2009
@gbawe

the issue at hand here is the cold reception Hilary got, Nigeria's failing State is a different issue totally
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Kobojunkie: 11:35am On Aug 13, 2009
ocelot2006:

Hey, maybe you've not been following the news back in Nigeria, but we just had an uprising in 5 northern states by a terrorist groups (boko haram). Then there's the amnesty move in the Niger-delta region. Right now, the country's on a very high level security state.
Nigerians and excuses ehn?? !!!! roflmao!!!! You mean the same Boko Haram wey your “men in black” don’t solve by shooting the defenseless “leader” and his father, and then claiming it was done in self defense? Niger Delta that has been an issue for some years now, during which your president has made sure to fly himself out for a vacation and check up? Na you dey carry the “High Alert” for head now for Nigeria? Roflmao!!!

ocelot2006:

And then, there's the current recession. Do you think we have the bloody time to throw a fanfare for a mere secretary of State? If u're so eager to kiss her ass & that of the US, then pls feel free to head to the US consulate in abuja.

Hhhmm. . . . recession wey no even bother acknowledge self? You no add food crisis put? The food crisis wey even your own government refuse to do much about. Roflmao!!!
Ogbeni, this is not about kissing anyone’s arse, this is simply about courtesy. She is in Nigeria REPRESENTING OBAMA. That is how it works. Even Kim jung ill knows that when he receives someone from America or Any other country representing the PRESIDENT, it is good for him to show respect, no matter how much he does not agree with em. Jeezzz!!!

ocelot2006:

Nigerians, heal thine own selves !!!
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by oshkosh(m): 11:56am On Aug 13, 2009

Most leaders come to Nigeria and turn a blind eye to gross mis-management and our incompetence. Perhaps if they'd spoken earlier, the ND issue would not have gotten this bad.

HC is bucking the trend and stating things are they really are. I guess it's an effect of Obama's policy direction. Our rulers don't listen to us. Maybe they'll pay a little ore attention to America, wether they want to or not.

BTW, forget the Chinese and Rusians and all their 'imperialist' objections. They are much worse and will dine with the devil anyday to close a deal.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Gbawe: 12:03pm On Aug 13, 2009
cassidy:

@gbawe

the issue at hand here is the cold reception Hilary got, Nigeria's failing State is a different issue totally

Is it not clear that I understand that distinction perfectly? My point , if you missed it , is that the cold reception Hilary recieved is due more to the vindictiveness of our current FG than any consideration that this blatantly immoral Government has now suddenly become ethical overnight in the defence of Nigeria and Africa's virtues . Laughable !!!! More laughable that some of us believe that this discredited Government can actually act out of nobility rather than the childish petulence and vindictiveness it is noted for. An AGF 'scoping out' the NIPPS Graduation venue to "make sure Ribadu is disgraced" (orders from above)  speaks volume about a government oblivious to its serious duties yet distractively focused on the mundane, petty and trivial in its vengeful pursuits.

We should tackle the truth America has said about us with actual action (as Ghana is doing) . Instead this inept Government keeps going from one embarrassing Gaff to another egged on by eggheads like Aondoakaa and Nigerians who don't realise that all our time should be best spent developing our nation and not waging a diplomatic war against others because they will not stop talking about the ills of our nation to include inept and illegitmate leadership symbolised by Yar Adua. Anyway make we kuku carry on . Na we sabi !!!
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by nex(m): 12:06pm On Aug 13, 2009
Abeg, Nigeria should stop holding talks with poor countries sef. We're looking for friends that have business and money to trade and boost our economy, not all these broke beggars that have taken amebo and backbiting as their hobbies.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

FG Uncovers Overpayment Of N430bn To Fuel Marketers / Why Tinubu Dumped Buhari For Tambuwal / Breaking News President Buhari Is Back In Nigeria (photo)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 85
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.