Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,755 members, 7,817,088 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 04:24 AM

Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. (8514 Views)

Tribunal Judgement: Wike Returns To A Rousing Reception In Port Harcourt / Female Trekker From Enugu To Abuja Gets Warm Reception From NOA (photos) / Gov Rochas Okorocha Receives Heroes Reception (pictures) (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mccloud224(m): 7:28pm On Aug 12, 2009
@nex

you're the one saying all this. The North Americans have already cautioned their president to stop worshipping Arab kings because oil doesn't mean their nation should lose its pride.

First of all, Obama made it clear before he won the election that he would do his best to rekindle ties with the middle east,aid them in curbing the conflict and re-enact diplomatic relations with them that had broken down to an ebb.Let me take you back to yester years when Bush Snr. was president (during the 90's).The Snr. Bush was best Buddies with Saddam Hussein before the gulf war.The Bush family virtually made millions and millions of dollars due to their tight ties with the Arabs and back then, nobody said anything about Bush "bowing" down to the Arabs.All this fuss is generated by Republicans/Conservatives would will go to any length to paint Obama as a "lily-livered" president.If it was Bill Clinton who went to the middle east and bowed in greeting, no one would notice that.It would be considered "normal".Furthermore, Obama is BLACK and anything he does is scrutinized.Till today, there are people that still claim that he isn't a U.S citizen even though the proof is there.Furthermore, it was only during the last U.S presidential election i witnessed the relevance of a birth certificate.Nobody brought this up when Bush or Clinton were contesting.About 2 weeks ago, two police officers were suspended because they used federal security computers to access the national database to dig up information on Obama's birth certificate.Imagine that!!!The only time such measures are used is when a high profile criminal is being investigated.

Obama went to Ghana to insure a stake in their newly discovered Crude Oil and some children are here saying rubbish about what they know not.

Nex, you dey really disappoint me with these your posts (i dey feel you on other topics sha).First of all, what makes you think the U.S doesn't have their own oil?If McCain had won the election, i tell you, the U.S would quit buying crude from other countries by 70%.They have vast reserves in the oceans and in a lot of states.They REFUSE to tap into these resources due to environmental concerns.They care about their environment (you can research on this).Furthermore, Obama believes in safer energy methods (that got him a lot of votes by the way).There are a few African countries that have sustained true change/democracy over the years and Ghana tops the list (do your findings)
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Nobody: 7:36pm On Aug 12, 2009
The people who shunned her have their kids in American Colleges and facilities. Who is fooling who? Any need to have these men welcome you? She should have allowed opposition party members to but non-existent now. May be boys Scout should have. I need to get out of this cartoon before I see myself incorrigible
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by sjeezy8: 7:44pm On Aug 12, 2009
Neptunz:

America stands for an ideology which nigeria should nt succumb to, No matter how bad of a leadership we may have,we remain a sovereign nation, No ass-kissing to obama or ilari~Lfmao

Lol that sounds dumb Nigeria is fuckin up Big time to its own citizens, Nigeria needs adopt American ideology and respect its citizens, not loot and treat other countries like shit.

If Nigerian Government treated Nigerians well then the US and England would be kissing our asses for oil. NO DOUBT
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by BlackRevo: 7:44pm On Aug 12, 2009
wirinet:

If MRS Clinton wanted to address royal fathers, why did we not oblige her. You may never know what she wants to tell them. She might have intelligence report linking them to religious crisis in Nigeria. Also you cannot compare royal fathers in Nigeria to the king of Saudi Arabia, the Saudi king has executive powers, in Nigeria a Local Government chaiman is more powerful than an Oba or Emir

What kind of intelligence report? The one we don't know already? Or what do you think is all the killing of boko aram for and their alleged sponsors? If there is anything about religious crisis in Nigeria come on we know where the fire is and we don't need a foreigner to tell us that.

Yeah sure we cannot compare them based on executive power but based on royalty alone they are equal. It is because we have bastardized and disrespected our traditional institution that's why you are looking at it from that angle. How many local government chairman has messed up with an emir or oba in Nigeria? Mind you they all have classes.
mccloud224:

@Black_Revo

That was an interesting comment.Please can you define what royalty means?Can you please tell me the factors that make a "royal father" a better human being than yourself?Can you please tell me what the "royal people" of Nigeria have done to reflect on your life positively?

The Sarduana's/Emirs support hatred against Christians/southerners at the background.I mean, there are many royal fathers in the north and yet over a 1000 people died recently from "religious" or rather politically motivated violence.What influence do they have on their people other than being glorified celebrities who receive mouth watering sums from the govt coffers every month for their "fatherly roles".

The Oba of Benin "decreed" some months back that no market trader should sell palm fruit (during a particular season).What has that got to do with empowering the people?Is that the problem of Nigerians?Palm fruit?

Then you have the Oni's and the Obas.Na these ones i no just understand.These "fathers" are the ones that back the "leaders" we have today.These people are the ones that go to lick Obasanjo's toes just to gain favors or be in his good books.

You know, it always amazes me the way we complain about the country's situation and YET, you'll see the same people ready to lay down their lives for these same people.For example, if i post a topic titled "IBB IS A THIEF", you'll be surprised at the hundreds of posters that will defend IBB's "integrity".

Hmmm.I sorry for 9ja.

There is no need going that far to define royalty and i am not saying these royal fathers are better than us please. If the royal fathers has not done anything positively to my life them what has the government done? My brother you have to ask those who are in charge of the resources of Nigeria for accountability and not the royal fathers. Are they the one running the affairs of the country? Mind you yesterday they were the one but not today so leave them in that regard. Now they are just a heritage which we should be proud of and not let one yeye oyinbo come to mess with them again. Hope you remember what an ordinary soldier did to the oba of benin? Asking him to bow down at his feet.

Don't get me wrong and its not that i am saying these traditional rulers are saints or they don't have their own problems as well. Mind you if we were not colonized by the British do you think these people will lick obasanjos feet or don't you know they were the rulers of the government of that time in the past? Can yar-adua go to united kingdom and decide on his own that he wants to visit the IRA?  And you are talking about christians as we don't have our own problems as well?

Yeah i understand and those people have a reason for their support and don't you think as well that if i post a topic that Abiola was a bad man that so many people will come here to defend his integrity? Same goes for dangote, otedola. My brother the truth of the matter is that one mans meat is another mans poison. Another dimension to this is the wide spread illiteracy and mental emancipation that is lacking in Nigerian masses.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mccloud224(m): 7:45pm On Aug 12, 2009
The people who shunned her have their kids in American Colleges and facilities. Who is fooling who? Any need to have these men welcome you? She should have allowed opposition party members to but non-existent now. May be boys Scout should have. I need to get out of this cartoon before I see myself incorrigible

@Ferdii

Thinking about it, it doesn't take much for Hilary Clinton to earn the "respect" of these snobs.All she has to do is push some buttons and all their accounts spanning over the U.S,U.K,Canada,Asia and Europe would be frozen.Na the billions wey dem get for cayman islands and bahamas dey shaq dem.If she were to put forward a strong deterrent on looted funds from 3rd world countries, all those "royal fathers" would shine her shoes just to get back 10% of the "loot" (for example,set up a body that not only investigates "funny money" but freezes it as well).That way, the stolen money is there but they can't access it.

RUBBISH COUNTRY.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 8:06pm On Aug 12, 2009
Protocol hitches as Clinton visits Nigeria
From Martins Oloja and Oghogho Obayuwana (Abuja)

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/aug/12/17.html

NIGERIAN officials yesterday alleged being kept in the dark by the United States (U.S.) Embassy in Abuja in the preparations for the visit of American Secretary of State, Mrs. Hillary Clinton.

The officials also decried her purported condemnation of Nigeria in Kenya ahead of her visit last night. They accused the American embassy of keeping matters of protocol itinerary of the visit away from the host country's officials.

The Guardian confirmed last night that the actions of the embassy and security officials may have led to the Senate President David Mark and the Speaker of the House of Representatives Dimeji Bankole not being involved in the reception formalities.

Even the Sultan of Sokoto, Abubakar Sa'ad, who was billed to organise traditional rulers for a parley with Mrs. Clinton on the platform of Nigerian Inter-Religious Council (NIRC) was alleged to have cancelled the deal last night because of the poor treatment of even the Foreign Affairs Ministry officials, who were reportedly spurned by the embassy's Protocol Department.

The American Ambassador to Nigeria, Renee Sanders, was said to have earlier asked for a list of traditional rulers to meet with Clinton, but the Sultan believed to be the arrowhead of the arrangement allegedly declined.

A Presidency official, who lamented the shoddy treatment of even Nigeria's security community, said: "Nothing about this visit passed through any Nigerian official. We have not seen a thing like this before. It is even embarrassing to us that there is no security clearance or cover for anything and if there is any emergency, the Presidency would be blamed. But it should be noted that it is the American government and the embassy that have planned security for the whole itinerary.

"What is more, we even heard that instead of meeting our own security chiefs, the officials here invited our chiefs to their office for talks, which is not the due order. Of course, our security chiefs declined the demeaning invitation. They would not accept that in Washington if even our President were to visit.

"There were recent arrangements when even the Presidents of Finland, Russia and Premier of Spain came here. Specifically, when the Finland's leader came, there was a security arrangement whereby our operatives worked with the Finland's advance team. But for the Americans, nothing like inter-agency co-operation even for security arrangement," he said.

Clinton will hold discussions with President Umaru Yar'Adua, after meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, by 9.30 a.m. today.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday that the high point of Clinton's visit would be an interactive session styled after the American Town Hall meetings with a broad session of Nigerian civil society at the Musa Yar'Adua Centre.

But the list of civil society and other activists' groups has not been made known officially. The visit, according to diplomatic sources, is laced with non-governmental activity.

Diplomatic sources said yesterday that much of her movements and meetings were kept under wraps owing to the fact that "this time, the Secretary of State wants to listen more to the Nigerian people who are outside of government, "

Information Officer at the embassy, David Renz, told The Guardian that "specific details of Hillary Clinton's visit have not been released. This information will be released by State Department when available."

The Abuja visit is part of Clinton's seven-nation tour to South Africa, Angola, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia, and Cape Verde.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 8:11pm On Aug 12, 2009
ocelot2006:

Protocol hitches as Clinton visits Nigeria
From Martins Oloja and Oghogho Obayuwana (Abuja)

http://odili.net/news/source/2009/aug/12/17.html

NIGERIAN officials yesterday alleged being kept in the dark by the United States (U.S.) Embassy in Abuja in the preparations for the visit of American Secretary of State, Mrs. Hillary Clinton.

The officials also decried her purported condemnation of Nigeria in Kenya ahead of her visit last night. They accused the American embassy of keeping matters of protocol itinerary of the visit away from the host country's officials.

The Guardian confirmed last night that the actions of the embassy and security officials may have led to the Senate President David Mark and the Speaker of the House of Representatives Dimeji Bankole not being involved in the reception formalities.

Even the Sultan of Sokoto, Abubakar Sa'ad, who was billed to organise traditional rulers for a parley with Mrs. Clinton on the platform of Nigerian Inter-Religious Council (NIRC) was alleged to have cancelled the deal last night because of the poor treatment of even the Foreign Affairs Ministry officials, who were reportedly spurned by the embassy's Protocol Department.

The American Ambassador to Nigeria, Renee Sanders, was said to have earlier asked for a list of traditional rulers to meet with Clinton, but the Sultan believed to be the arrowhead of the arrangement allegedly declined.

A Presidency official, who lamented the shoddy treatment of even Nigeria's security community, said: "Nothing about this visit passed through any Nigerian official. We have not seen a thing like this before. It is even embarrassing to us that there is no security clearance or cover for anything and if there is any emergency, the Presidency would be blamed. But it should be noted that it is the American government and the embassy that have planned security for the whole itinerary.

"What is more, we even heard that instead of meeting our own security chiefs, the officials here invited our chiefs to their office for talks, which is not the due order. Of course, our security chiefs declined the demeaning invitation. They would not accept that in Washington if even our President were to visit.

"There were recent arrangements when even the Presidents of Finland, Russia and Premier of Spain came here. Specifically, when the Finland's leader came, there was a security arrangement whereby our operatives worked with the Finland's advance team. But for the Americans, nothing like inter-agency co-operation even for security arrangement," he said.

Clinton will hold discussions with President Umaru Yar'Adua, after meeting with Foreign Affairs Minister, Chief Ojo Maduekwe, by 9.30 a.m. today.

The Ministry of Foreign Affairs said yesterday that the high point of Clinton's visit would be an interactive session styled after the American Town Hall meetings with a broad session of Nigerian civil society at the Musa Yar'Adua Centre.

But the list of civil society and other activists' groups has not been made known officially. The visit, according to diplomatic sources, is laced with non-governmental activity.

Diplomatic sources said yesterday that much of her movements and meetings were kept under wraps owing to the fact that "this time, the Secretary of State wants to listen more to the Nigerian people who are outside of government, "

Information Officer at the embassy, David Renz, told The Guardian that "specific details of Hillary Clinton's visit have not been released. This information will be released by State Department when available."

The Abuja visit is part of Clinton's seven-nation tour to South Africa, Angola, the Democratic Republic of Congo, Liberia, and Cape Verde.

If the news article is true, then I'm sorry but the US Secretatry of State had it coming. With regards to the shoddy treatment of staffs of the Nigerian Ministry of Foreign Affairs and the the religious leaders she was meant to talk to, I can't say that I'm suprised. It's the very reason why I stopped visiting the US embassy.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 8:15pm On Aug 12, 2009
And if I may add, the US did exactly the same thing to our then Attorney General of the Federation/Minister of Justice (during Obasanjo's tenure) when he visited the US Justice Department in Washington DC. So why're we all complaining?
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mccloud224(m): 8:26pm On Aug 12, 2009
And if I may add, the US did exactly the same thing to our then Attorney General of the Federation/Minister of Justice (during Obasanjo's tenure) when he visited the US Justice Department in Washington DC. So why're we all complaining?

@ocelot2006

Nice comment.We could say that she assumed that everything would follow through considering the fact that LEFT is "RIGHT" in Nigeria and UP means "DOWN".lol.

On a serious note, i strongly believe that the actions of these leaders wasn't based on diplomacy at all.It was a way of getting back at the U.S for choosing Ghana as a hallmark of democracy in Africa and also, these "old men" consider women less important than cattle.To meet with her is "beneath them" thanks to their billionaire status from looted funds.Think about it, if it were Bill Clinton, would they have shunned him the way they did to his wife?Please think about and be honest with your reply.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 8:27pm On Aug 12, 2009
And to those talking about the USA being far better than Nigeria moral/corruption wise, maybe you should take a look at the lobby groups (or bribers as they're known in Nigeria) that have EVERY US govt. official in their pockets, and as a result control govt. policies. And how about undemocratic govt. like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and others that the US props and supports overtly with tonnes of funds?Oh, and let's not forget Iraq where close to a million people have been killed (with 2 million displaced) as a result of oil, sorry, I meant weapons of mass destruction (WMDs). Nigeria is definitely not better, but please stop portraying the US as a "holier than thou" country.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mamagee6(f): 8:28pm On Aug 12, 2009
Fhemmmy:

Is it Yar'Adua that is killing and Embarrassing Nigeria or the Nigerians?
We are the one that have allowed that sick dude to keep ruling despite the fact that we know he has nothing to offer.

It was Obasanjo that rigged the whole election, I wish EFCC would have some courage and throw that Old thief inside the jail house where he belongs. sad
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 8:32pm On Aug 12, 2009
mccloud224:

@ocelot2006

Nice comment.We could say that she assumed that everything would follow through considering the fact that LEFT is "RIGHT" in Nigeria and UP means "DOWN".lol.

On a serious note, i strongly believe that the actions of these leaders wasn't based on diplomacy at all.It was a way of getting back at the U.S for choosing Ghana as a hallmark of democracy in Africa and also, these "old men" consider women less important than cattle.To meet with her is "beneath them" thanks to their billionaire status from looted funds.Think about it, if it were Bill Clinton, would they have shunned him the way they did to his wife?Please think about and be honest with your reply.

If Ex-President Bill Clinton came under same capacity as secretary of state with the US embassy acting they way they did, then I'm afraid the same think may occur again. Besides, Bill Clinton has been to Nigeria for a lecture in Abuja (after his tenure as president ofcourse) and there were no fanfares or our Minister of Foreign Affairs running to the airport to pick him up.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mccloud224(m): 8:40pm On Aug 12, 2009
And to those talking about the USA being far better than Nigeria moral/corruption wise, maybe you should take a look at the lobby groups (or bribers as they're known in Nigeria) that have EVERY US govt. official in their pockets, and as a result control govt. policies. And how about undemocratic govt. like Saudi Arabia, Egypt, and others that the US props and supports overtly with tonnes of funds?Oh, and let's not forget Iraq where close to a million people have been killed (with 2 million displaced) as a result of oil, sorry, I meant weapons of mass destruction (WMDs). Nigeria is definitely not better, but please stop portraying the US as a "holier than thou" country.

YES, bribery/lobbying is in the[b] U.S AS WELL AS EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.[/b]I'm sure you've heard the term "politics is money".To win people over, you need to influence them with money.For goodness sake, supporters raised over $600 million dollars for the Obama campaign and you can bet your life that all those funds didn't go into propaganda alone.Some people had to be bought over.It's the norm everywhere (your point is baseless)

Secondly, THEY DON'T DIP THEIR HANDS public coffers and loot the treasury like it's their piggy bank.They have other means of compensating themselves e.g Bill Clinton commands a minimum of $1 million dollars to make a speech in public (do your findings).Talking about Iraq?Who is killing who?Is it the U.S soldiers setting bombs and wiping out families daily?

Hmmm.Speechless.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mccloud224(m): 8:45pm On Aug 12, 2009
If Ex-President Bill Clinton came under same capacity as secretary of state with the US embassy acting they way they did, then I'm afraid the same think may occur again. Besides, Bill Clinton has been to Nigeria for a lecture in Abuja (after his tenure as president ofcourse) and there were no fanfares or our Minister of Foreign Affairs running to the airport to pick him up.

Emmm, i think you're mixing fan fare and diplomatic relations in one cauldron.They are two different things (well, i do understand that fan fare is an "African thing".We seem to have this "slave mentality" imbibed deeply in our roots).That's by the way though.The "leaders" out rightly shunned her and nothing more.Trust me, they wouldn't have the guts to pull that stunt if it were Bush or Bill in those shoes.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 8:48pm On Aug 12, 2009
[b]Why is it that Nigerians base their opinions on ego massaging and sentiments, instead of the reality on the ground. In foreign policy issues, the Secretary of State is very important, if not more important than the president. A serious government should have taken advantage of Clintons, visit to ask for assistance, in the area of the aspects she has problems with; namely, the Niger Delta crisis, Electoral Reforms ( after all it was the US that gave the world the modern form of democracy practiced in the world today), Educational, Technical and Technological Assistance, even financial assistance.
We have to face reality, every country ( especially developing countries need the US), go ask the Israelis,( who seeks the support of the US in every thing the do),  the south Koreans, the Japanese. The difference between North Korea, and between the former East Germany and West Germany is US assistance. It was even the US that help Europe win the World War 2 and help the reconstruction of Europe after the war. So those of you saying to hell with the US must be a relative of Yaradua - Clueless. I am not particularly a fan of the US, but when the US sneezes, the world catches cold.[/b][color=#990000][/color]

About Saudi Arabia, I do not think the US can impose democracy into a nation that had been autocratic for hundreds of years if not thousands. The US can only help the citizens if they clamour  for democracy. Are the Saudi people clamouring for democracy?. Also if the Saudi's run into problems like they did under saddam, who do they run to? - The US of course.

Look at Libya, a more organized country than Nigeria, what happened after being a US antagonist for over 20 years, they retraced their steps and became an allay.

The funniest thing is that most of those abusing America today, would be ready to lick her foot ( Mrs Clinton) if she says come and collect a green card. Also most of or Government official's children hold's US Passport or Green Card, so if there are annoyed at Mrs Clinton, they should withdraw their children from US and burn their passport, so as to experience "the lies" being told by Mrs Clinton.

Ehm, the countries you mentioned in your second paragragh are basically client states/stooges of the USA. The last time I checked, Nigeria was a non-aligned nation. That means that we do not stoop down to the demands of any of the world powers (EAST or WEST). Therefore, we can afford to be friends with any country, provided we personally have nothing against them.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by nex(m): 8:49pm On Aug 12, 2009
Well, I just want you all to know that things worked out just the way they should. We got their message, we sent them a reply. Believe me or not, they got our message back and they'll act on it. Just sit and watch. The will change their behaviour towards Nigeria after what transpired.

@mccloud,

If Obama is such a conformist to the traditions of every place he visits, then I hope he checks up on the Oba of Lagos sometime soon.

Let's just leave it at that because I know the game these people are playing and in diplomacy, Hillary Clinton is below Ojo Madueke's league. I know because he's a Nigerian you people look down on him, but in the game he and Clinton just played, he won. Wait and see the results.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by cooljade(f): 8:52pm On Aug 12, 2009
It's a shame that Nigerian diplomatic dept can say that they were not aware of her coming when common nigerian like me knew 3 days before, even CNN hinted on it.

What else do you expect from a bunch of unprofessionals? political criminals only after their interest
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 8:54pm On Aug 12, 2009
mccloud224:

YES, bribery/lobbying is in the[b] U.S AS WELL AS EVERY COUNTRY IN THE WORLD.[/b]I'm sure you've heard the term "politics is money".To win people over, you need to influence them with money.For goodness sake, supporters raised over $600 million dollars for the Obama campaign and you can bet your life that all those funds didn't go into propaganda alone.Some people had to be bought over.It's the norm everywhere (your point is baseless)

Secondly, THEY DON'T DIP THEIR HANDS public coffers and loot the treasury like it's their piggy bank.They have other means of compensating themselves e.g Bill Clinton commands a minimum of $1 million dollars to make a speech in public (do your findings).Talking about Iraq?Who is killing who?Is it the U.S soldiers setting bombs and wiping out families daily?

Hmmm.Speechless.

Let's see, the payment of funds to government officials in return for political favour/future government contracts is what? That's right, CORRUPTION.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mccloud224(m): 8:54pm On Aug 12, 2009
Nigeria is definitely not better, but please stop portraying the US as a "holier than thou" country.

You know, i never really considered the U.S as holier than thou but now that you mentioned it, i feel they are without doubt, holier than us.Need pointers?

(1)They care about their citizens? We don't.
(2)They are concerned about advancing their nation.We are constantly ruining ours.
(3)They protect the interests of their citizens at home and abroad.Nigerians are looked upon as being less than dogs abroad e.g there are so many Nigerians serving prison terms abroad (some are guilty,some are innocent).Let take you back.A while ago, a young Nigerian was executed in Singapore for drug trafficking.If it were a Briton or American, would that happen.Please be honest with yourself at least.Two journalists were imprisoned with lengthy sentences.Bill showed up and they came home (they call the shots man, don't hate on them).
(4)You know, it's pointless for me to go on about what things you already know coz if i choose to continue, the list would amount to hundreds (but you catch my drift don't you?)
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by tiptess(f): 8:59pm On Aug 12, 2009
@ Eziachi:
How can you not see any problem there? you are a Nigerian, where the president is the begining and end of all thing governance. But the rest of the civilized world is a bit different from your typical Naija mindset.

why shld there be a problem most especially as the US government visiting our country choose not to inform us about her itinerary how then do we welcome her when we just dn't know her movement in our home. so bros, leave story and lets arrange our nation.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mccloud224(m): 9:00pm On Aug 12, 2009
Let's see, the payment of funds to government officials in return for political favour/future government contracts is what? That's right, CORRUPTION.

Pathetic.Please mention one country where back door arrangements aren't done.Simply Pathetic argument.

By the way, in the course of doing all that, they have their citizens interest at heart (is that the case here?).They lobby for contracts!!!So what?Hmm?So what??They get the job done and we never hear news of some contractor diverting all the money to an offshore account.We never hear of them looting public treasury.Obama's salary is less than $400,000 a year.An L.G.A chairman makes more than that in 3 months (his salary not included).What on earth is your argument based on man?It's utterly baseless and pathetic.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 9:01pm On Aug 12, 2009
ocelot2006:

And speaking of Iraq, what sparked the killing and secterian violence over there? That's right, the US invation and occupation of a sovereign country. And how about the illegal detention and torture of Iraqis (Abu-Ghraib)? Oh, and did I mention that the actions of the US lead to the further radicalization of the middle-east as whole, and action that have the deaths of thousands of people from Pakistan to Yemen? But no, the US, in your eyes, is without blemish. They can do no wrong. It's no wonder these guys continue to look down on us.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 9:05pm On Aug 12, 2009
mccloud224:

Emmm, i think you're mixing fan fare and diplomatic relations in one cauldron.They are two different things (well, i do understand that fan fare is an "African thing".We seem to have this "slave mentality" imbibed deeply in our roots).That's by the way though.The "leaders" out rightly shunned her and nothing more.Trust me, they wouldn't have the guts to pull that stunt if it were Bush or Bill in those shoes.

Did you watch the reception given to President George Walker Bush the very day he arrived Nigeria on his official visit? I suggest you do so, `cos you'll be suprised.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 9:13pm On Aug 12, 2009
cooljade:

It's a shame that Nigerian diplomatic dept can say that they were not aware of her coming when common nigerian like me knew 3 days before, even CNN hinted on it.

What else do you expect from a bunch of unprofessionals? political criminals only after their interest

The US embassy and the State Department chose not to inform us of her itinenary. That on its own is a dipomatic NO NO and an insult to the host country. I can't just come to your house without informing you on the time of my arrival and my plans (or at least a glimpse of it) . I won't lose any sleep over this event.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by oshkosh(m): 9:16pm On Aug 12, 2009
Truth is that Clintons behaviour has a lot to do with America's perception of our president today. Unfortunately, he  just doesn't command much respect. He's dull, un-intelligent, ineffective, unwell, compromised, complicent, coniving,   undecided

Fortunately, the American goverment (led by the charismatic Obama) is just too smart to be respecting symbols. For him, I'm sure, nothing short of constructive and progressive interactions will do.

he US embassy and the State Department chose not to inform us of her itinenary. That on its own is a dipomatic NO NO and an insult to the host country

Simply because they don't trust our goverment's ability to get anything right, including providing security. I bet if she had her way, she wouldn't have stopped over in Nigeria at all, but I guess that would have just been too obvious after visiting all other African countries.

I'm so so ashamed of our leaders, to be honest.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mccloud224(m): 9:20pm On Aug 12, 2009
And speaking of Iraq, what sparked the killing and secterian violence over there? That's right, the US invation and occupation of a sovereign country. And how about the illegal detention and torture of Iraqis (Abu-Ghraib)? Oh, and did I mention that the actions of the US lead to the further radicalization of the middle-east as whole, and action that have the deaths of thousands of people from Pakistan to Yemen? But no, the US, in your eyes, is without blemish. They can do no wrong. It's no wonder these guys continue to look down on us.

My dear friend, to understand the political terrain, you have to absorb the following words "THE WORLD IS NOT FAIR AND RESPECT IS ACCORDED TO THOSE WHO DESERVE IT"

What am i saying here?Thumping your chest and screaming injustice from the western world will get us no where.What you have to understand is, if you don't handle yourself well, strangers will shit on you.I believe you went through the high school and university system so you must know what i mean.This applies to countries.The Middle east has resources.They have a lot of good things but they are easily moved into instability due to religious causes (moslem communities worldwide have this problem.I don't know why.Sorry fellow moslems but it is true.Una too like blood shed in the name of Jihad).The U.S capitalized on that.If not for their sectarian violence, would the U.S have step foot in there?I think NOT.

Let me take you back 30-40 years ago shortly after World War 2.The Asians were looked upon as shit heads.They were sanctioned at will and anything they did to progress was frustrated using diplomatic channels.They couldn't trade with the outside world but nonetheless, they still built their economy from within and in the long run, the world had to accept them back starting with Japan.For a while, China had been looked down upon as being inferior to Japan but today, who is the biggest creditor to the U.S?CHINA. You cannot see a Chinese man struggling to get visa into the U.S coz the country has earned it's respect.What am i talking about?What I'm trying to let you understand is, unless we get ourselves on our feet and do right with ourselves, we will continue to be shit on and spit on by the whole world.It's that simple.It's pretty straight forward.For a matured mind, this is simple math.It doesn't need rocket science to add two and two together.

Nuff said.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by ocelot2006(m): 9:27pm On Aug 12, 2009
oshkosh:

Truth is that Clintons behaviour has a lot to do with America's perception of our president today. Unfortunately, he just doesn't command much respect. He's dull, un-intelligent, ineffective, unwell, compromised, complicent, coniving, undecided

Fortunately, the American goverment (led by the charismatic Obama) is just too smart to be respecting symbols. For him, I'm sure, nothing short of constructive and progressive interactions will do.

Simply because they don't trust our goverment's ability to get anything right, including providing security. I bet if she had her way, she wouldn't have stopped over in Nigeria at all, but I guess that would have just been too obvious after visiting all other African countries. [color=#990000][/color]

I'm so so ashamed of our leaders, to be honest.

We've hosted a number of presidents, prime-ministers, and monarchs, including 2 presidents of the US. I think we'll be fine security-wise.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by mccloud224(m): 9:30pm On Aug 12, 2009
@Richy Black

Removal of posts at "will" i see.Who cares.I'm logging out anyways.Feel free to gloat in your paradise.Like it matters

lol.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by MandingoII(m): 9:42pm On Aug 12, 2009
I was watching AIT this morning and was shocked to learn that Hilary Clinton was not received on her arrival by any Nigerian official, not even a foreign ministry official. Is that as a result of the observations she raised a few days earlier about Nigeria inability to refine her own petrol being 6th largest crude oil producer in the world?. If it is, then the yaradua government apart from being clueless,is very immature. To me it is a very embarrassing diplomatic blunder. Yaradua needs to be schooled in basic diplomacy. even when two countries have serious diplomatic conflicts, decorum demands warm reception in public.

Clinton is the third highest US official, and the most important in terms of US foreign policy. So how do you think the US will relate with Nigeria after this.
[/quote[b]]

She do not want to be SEEN hobnobbing with thieves, This was a strategic move on her part[/b]
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Becomrich: 9:45pm On Aug 12, 2009
Nex please don’t blame Hillary Clinton, like I said before it is the lack of understanding of Nigeria culture, history and others. The USA is different in the way power is.

In Nigeria the Yorubas are more loyal to the Oni of ife then to President Yar adua, in the North the Fulani/Hausas are more loyal to the sultan of Sokoto than to President Yar adua. It as something to do with our culture. What Hillary did not know, she must address the Oni of Ife or sultan of Sokoto like she would to the president of Nigeria and they are as powerful has the president.

The Oni of Ife or sultan of Sokoto can have the military remove the president of Nigeria. Military is based on ethnics loyalty. It is an issue of Ethnics loyalty, while over here in north America, there is no sure thing.

To show you how what I am saying about Nigeria politics is that the best way to avoid a civil war in Nigeria is to remove the yorubas, edo, delta and bayslsa state into republic of benin, a civil war would spread to other Africa country, to show the level of important while they need to remove the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa into Benin republic from seen the satellite pictures. I would take Kosovo for example.

To show you how powerful what I am saying is Nigeria can have in 7 days over 40 africa countries supporting kovoso if they want. It is like a repel effect. I mean in 7 days. This is why an issue of civil war in Nigeria is dangerous. And the need to remove the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa state into Benin Republic to make the north majority and have 70% of the oil.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Becomrich: 9:47pm On Aug 12, 2009
I think the first thing Hillary has to learn is that I am given an unbias view of Nigeria. When I said don’t go, I mean it. We are different, we have culture , history which make our story unique.

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-301082.0.html

The truth is we have no other choice at the moment than to remove the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa into benin republic. What hillary Clinton does not know is that there is power play in Nigeria based on ethnics loyality. After seen the satellite picture of Nigeria. In the mind of every Northerner the removing of the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa into benin republic is the only solution.

There would never be Biafra, never because of the politics of Nigeria. And because the so call people calling for Biafra are just less than 10% of the population of Nigeria.

While for this solution of removing the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa into benin republic majority of Nigeria would vote Yes to the solution. I would say about 80% of the population of Nigeria to avoid a civil war.

And a nation have to weight what is best for 80% of its population and not less than 10% of its population. Even among the less than 10% of the population, the educated igbos know Biafra is not possible.

Another reason is igboland have ecological problem of erosion, which can not be corrected if you look at satellite picture. You would need trillion of dollars to correct them. We don’t have it. So igbos have to immigrate by force.

And while 90% of igbos are traders. If a nation call Biafra exist, it means 90% of Igbos would be JOBLESS. The reason is since most igbos are traders, you must have people who would buy from you. And if every igbos man is a spear part dealer where are the buyers in the Biafra.

It is only uneducated igbos that would not see the advantage in igbos been part of the new Nigeria with the north. And while the removing of the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa into benin republic is the only solution.

There would never be Biafra. The igbos can not live in 29,000 sq km , they are traders, who are they going to sell thing to. 90% of igbos would loss their source of living.

This is the reason why they can never be Biafra.

Look what the USA and other do not understand is that there are two major powers in west Africa. Fulani/hausa and the Yorubas.

While the Fulani/hausa dominate the north in several countries. the yorubas dominate the south in several countries.

The Yorubas and Fulani/hausa together are spread in about 18 countries in Africa. This is why we have to redraw the map of Nigeria to avoid a civil war. The igbos have no military strength in the Nigeria army to oppose even the decision. They would be crush. I can even tell you this. Knowing Nigeria politics if the igbos stage a coup against it. In less than 6 hours they would be remove from power. And most likely the coup would fail.

Seen the satellite picture, we have to redraw the map of Nigeria to avoid a civil war. This is why it is important not to listen to the useless shout of Biafra. It is not possible and would NEVER happen. The force against it is too many. Even if the west support it. west Africa politics would block it. Biafra would be block in west Africa and Africa.

Removing the Yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa into Benin republic would pass in the west Africa parliament by a 90% vote. All countries in west Africa would support it and 90% of Africa countries would vote yes to the decision. It is the only solution to avoid a civil war.

Hillary has to get it. She have to join in the movement to remove the yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa into benin republic making the north have 70% of the oil. This is the only solution. And the USA have to Openly support the plan to remove the Yorubas, edo, delta and bayelsa state to Benin republic to make the north have majority , this is the only solution to avoid a civil war.
Re: Hilary Clinton Gets Cold Reception From The Federal Government. by Gbawe: 9:52pm On Aug 12, 2009
ocelot2006:

The US embassy and the State Department chose not to inform us of her itinenary. That on its own is a dipomatic NO NO and an insult to the host country. I can't just come to your house without informing you on the time of my arrival and my plans (or at least a glimpse of it) . I won't lose any sleep over this event.

The USA should have been a bit more circumspect but this is in line with Obama's promise that America's foreign policy would now include direct interaction with Government opposition and indeed representatives of the people rather than voices of the incumbent government alone.

Clinton did all she did because she did not want a stage-managed visit. She distinctly did not want sychopants and apologists of the Government teleguiding who she met and spoke with as they would ensure she only met those supportive of Yar Adua's grossly inept leadership of Nigeria . She wanted to speak to specific Nigerians who had been vociferous in their angst against the Yar Adua Government .

A bit extreme not to provide details of her itenary but dealing with an unrepentantly corrupt and criminal government may evoke such actions. When Aondoakaa , acting as the AGF of Nigeria and its Minister of justice , blatantly assisted Ibori escape justice in the UK it became clear to the World that a shameless, callous, corrupt and criminal regime is now in charge of Nigeria. Yar Adua's Government has gone on to do worse since then. Halliburton showed the World that , In Nigeria , the criminal often doubles as the Judge in his own trial !!! Ekiti hammered home the fact that our President can behave like an area-boy when the stakes are high . It also exposed Yar Adua's hypocritical and undemocratic stance over his touted 'electoral reforms'. Clinton should have stayed away entirely because the current Government is devoid of shame. you cannot make them reform.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

GEJ Mourns Police Officers Killed In Helicopter Crash In Jos / Garba Shehu: Buhari Deserves Credit For Tackling Insecurity / In A Fair Presidential Election, Obi Will Get 25% In Over 24 States — Group

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 133
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.