Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,609 members, 7,820,169 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 10:50 AM

Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship - Education (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship (20800 Views)

'Bee Beard’: Professor Covered In Bees At Washington State University (Graphic) / Top 15 Most Selected Courses By Students In JAMB UTME 2017 / My Sister's Image Was Selected For Coventry's London Campus Advert. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by NeuroBoss(m): 10:22pm On May 08, 2016
shosilva:
This is active brain drain in action. 80% of this young guys and gals will end up living and helping to further develop the USA.

Nigeria, meanwhile, would have lost some of its best young brains.

Who gains - USA and the immediate family of these young fellowship winners. Who loses - Nigeria!

Don't blame the Awardees. They'll be fools not to take the opportunity especially when their Country has none to offer. Good luck to you guys as you embark on this life-changing journey.

The most important part of the program is their coming back. The investment on them is to come back and use it for the development of Africa. The aim of YALI is to raise the next generation of African Leaders who will save us from the doldrums we currently are in. Not Africans who want to flee. These are young men who are already doing great things by themselves with little or no support. Google and read about them
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by NeuroBoss(m): 10:28pm On May 08, 2016
Ariani:
"Nah let me simplify it for you cause I know how comprehension is your problem.

Your government as I mentioned earlier approve the list before it gets to the receiving government. Since APC is filed with North and yorubas, knowing how much the North aren't all up in the western education this eliminate their hands on the approval. Since the president is busy flying left and right all over the world, that eliminates his hand in the list approval. So that's left to the APC lick ass who comes when north doesn't want the bone aka yoruba. In that APC group, the main yoruba heads are theVP, Tinubu and Fashola.

Do you get it now, or do I have to find an infant to simplify it some more?"

See this guy pontificating in ignorance! I was part of a similar program by YALI. The government knows nothing about it. If it was about political, social and financial connections, almost all the people on that list wouldn't have been there. Stop saying what is beyond you as is you know. YALI is meritocratic and Yoruba has always been on the highside since inception in 2014 and even in the newly created YALI RLC WEST AFRICA!
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by NeuroBoss(m): 10:32pm On May 08, 2016
Ariani:
The only thing this politicized list proves is that Yorubas are really influential in this Buhari government, and that their support for Buhari is marginally paying off.

Nothing more and nothing less.

JAMB, WAEC and unity school, stats are non politicized stats and give a better picture of the real state of things. cool

Ariani, you are ignorant on this topic. Even a fool is thought wise when he kept quiet. YALI is so strict that they don't consult with even themselves. YALI Nigeria runs its own show independent of YALI Ghana. Many of us have been there. We've benefitted from the program and don't know where your Conspiracy Theory is springing from!
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by NeuroBoss(m): 10:36pm On May 08, 2016
Roseey0:
I know a friend that got to the last stage...Unfortunately, he graduated from a Nigerian university so they dropped him.

Sister, everyone on that list schooled in Nigeria. The YALI/MWF is a very competitive program. Your friend lost out at the interview stage to fiercer applicants. Not because he attended a Nigerian University. The University in front of their names is where they will be trained for the 6-week stay in the US
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by omonnakoda: 10:52pm On May 08, 2016
NeuroBoss:

Ariani, you are ignorant on this topic. Even a fool is thought wise when he kept quiet. YALI is so strict that they don't consult with even themselves. YALI Nigeria runs its own show independent of YALI Ghana. Many of us have been there. We've benefitted from the program and don't know where your Conspiracy Theory is springing from!
Oh it is the usual "If Ibos are not on top then there must be a conspiracy and typically truth is just an inconvenience so they manufacture their own version of truth shamelessly. Imagine all the nonsense he wrote up there about FG approving a list. The question is where did he get it

A. Google

B. CNN

C. Radio Biafra

D. Al Jazeera

E . He just made it up on the spot.

Yea E he just made it up and that is typical . Just tell lies that should make a 5 year old ashamed and do so with no remorse,no contrition. It is the same mindset that drives teachers to write Common Entrance Exams and so on for children at Miracle Centres. Well the Americans do not like miracles apparently and the chickens have come home to roost.

The same mindset that tell us Onitsha market is the largest in the Milky Way and tthe US marines come there to buy boots while the US Navy buys drones, I am not joking . The mindset that said Orji UZor Kalu is so rich Banks in Nigeria including the CBN could not cope and begged him to take his Money to the World Bank which could only accept half while the other half went to the IMF for safe keeping.
You hear this nonsense from an "adult" who says it without blinking and you wonder what is going on. Does he believe this BS? That is the funny thing. The moment he says it it becomes reality.

1 Like

Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by osicom: 9:44am On May 09, 2016
omonnakoda:
There is no war they are our second in command in Nigeria but you know a junior bloda always wants to be stubborn

Bother,dont you think it will be arrogant for you to call them your second in command or junior brother? How did you determine who is the first and who is not.This attitude of seeing the other tribe as second in command or junior brother did not and will not take Nigeria anywhere.There is no second in command or junior brother here.
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by omonnakoda: 6:57pm On May 20, 2016
ariesbull:

I won't argue with but but
The biggest ICT market is computer village and we know it's Igbo
The biggest indigenous ICT firm quoted on NSE is zinox it's still Igbo
Now the biggest one store for accessories and phone is slot and jumia ( foreign owned)
Now let's take it to online ..the biggest online site that generates traffic ....we all know is Linda ikeji
The biggest travel site ..wakanow is still Igbo
And I haven't called yudala that is owned by Mr. Eke zinox son
I have not called the biggest collosus in e learning which is sidmach....do you also know who runs that ....well I leave you to guess

As I said with you I will not argue with you ...I don't wanna talk about software vendors and solution providers

Well let's agree that Yoruba owned that ...but ignorant is bliss
Just the way they said Yoruba was the most educated tribe but when stats starts coming in both home and abroad ...we knew that wise men always come from East

Once again ignorance is bliss....we aggree with your Yoruba euphoria ..no argument

But what I know that Yoruba dominate is agbero sector...in shirt the word agbero is a Yoruba invention

That's a fact also
Also stomach infrastructure thats another Yoruba coinage

When the stats start coming in from miracle centres our brothers from the east have no rivals. They are experts in JAMB WAEC and common Entrance

but what happened here
https://www.nairaland.com/3092048/nigerians-selected-2016-mandela-washington/3

What happened in the Goodluck Jonathan scholarship scheme

Why did your folk studiously avoid this illuminating thread
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by omonnakoda: 6:58pm On May 20, 2016
Ariani:
The only thing this politicized list proves is that Yorubas are really influential in this Buhari government, and that their support for Buhari is marginally paying off.

Nothing more and nothing less.

JAMB, WAEC and unity school, stats are non politicized stats and give a better picture of the real state of things. cool
Why not apologize honourably?
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by Ariani: 7:14pm On May 20, 2016
omonnakoda:
Why not apologize honourably?

What exactly are you talking about?
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by omonnakoda: 7:18pm On May 20, 2016
Ariani:

What exactly are you talking about?
Your absurd claim that people were selected by politicians in APC when it has been demonstrated it was on merit and competitive.Have you no shame?
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by Ariani: 7:25pm On May 20, 2016
omonnakoda:

When the stats start coming in from miracle centres our brothers from the east have no rivals. They are experts in JAMB WAEC and common Entrance

but what happened here

What happened in the Goodluck Jonathan scholarship scheme

Why did your folk studiously avoid this illuminating thread

How many Igbos and how many Yorubas applied for this Mandela Washington stuff, maybe that's where to start from. Never knew of this Mandela ish, until I saw it here. On the other hand, Jamb, WAEC,NECO, Etc that Igbos top, are all encompassing, everyone takes them.

On the PRESSID, Yorubas topped the first edition because of several factors, the main being that you have to score first class to qualify for PRESSID, with so many private universities scattered all over Yoruba land, dishing out first class like Akara, the most being covenant university, I can guess that Yorubas had more candidates sitting for that PRESSID than everyone else. In that case, the best way to measure their performance would have been to take averages.

Nevertheless, the Igbos quickly closed the gap in the last PRESSID and toppped Yorubas.

With the current proliferation of private universities all over Igboland, who would no doubt share first class certs to gather more customers, I had no doubt that the Igbo would have gone on to continue topping the list on consistent basis, if the scheme continued.

The bottom line is that both PRESSID and this Mandela stuff are not all encompassing, to make any sense of the data, we would need to know how many Igbos and how many Yorubas applied for them.
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by omonnakoda: 7:31pm On May 20, 2016
Ariani:

How many Igbos and how many Yorubas applied for this Mandela Washington stuff, maybe that's where to start from. Never knew of this Mandela ish, until I saw it here. On the other hand, Jamb, WAEC,NECO, Etc that Igbos top, are all encompassing, everyone takes them.

On the PRESSID, Yorubas topped the first edition because of several factors, the main being that you have to score first class to qualify for PRESSID, with so many private universities scattered all over Yoruba land, dishing out first class like Akara, the most being covenant university, I can guess that Yorubas had more candidates sitting for that PRESSID than everyone else. In that case, the best way to measure their performance would have been to take averages.

Nevertheless, the Igbos quickly closed the gap in the last PRESSID and toppped Yorubas.

With the current proliferation of private universities all over Igboland, who would no doubt share first class certs to gather more customers, I had no doubt that the Igbo would have gone on to continue topping the list on consistent basis, if the scheme continued.

The bottom line is that both PRESSID and this Mandela stuff are not all encompassing, to make any sense of the data, we would need to know how many Igbos and how many Yorubas applied for them.
How come you did not know ? Eboes are the most widely travelled ,most knowledgeable Nigerians?

Pressid went on for at least 4 years

Is it then your argument that Eboes are not represented because they did not know about it?
That's a what I call Ibonalysis

omonnakoda:
Ibo ; a state of being Ibo
Iboland Ibo Territory
Iboman an adult Ibo male
Iboboy a young Ibo person(male) Ibogirl Ayoung Ibo person (female)
Iboville A small part of Iboland like Awoamama e.g,
Iboness General Ibo condition
Iboist an Ibo Advocate or champion e,g Achebe Iboism Ibo advocacy
Ibotic Distinctly Ibo Iboistic =Ibotic
Iboing To make Ibo Iboed Now fully Ibo
Ibo-made crafted by Ibos
Ibonize Transform to Iboness usually of a place or people Ibonization See Ibonize Ibonizational see Ibonize
Iborific scarily Ibo
Ibofy To make Ibo Ibofied Ibofying Ibofier Ibofication see Ibofy
Ibothetic Ibo kind (of logic)
Iboology The study of Ibos and Ibo Things
Ibologue one versed or knowledgeable in Ibo affairs,history,culture etc
Iboologist=An Ibo expert
Ibohood State of being Ibo also place where Ibos are found in large numbers or hang out
Ibolly In an Ibo way
Iboward moving in the direction of an Ibo or approaching Iboness
Ibolitics Ibo kind of politics
Ibolution In the process of becoming Ibofied
Ibodom an old Ibo kingdom
Ibometer Ibometric Measure of Iboness
Ibotechnic An Ibo institute of learning
Ibocentric Focussed only on Ibos and Ibo matters
Iboteria Place where Ibo snacks are sold see Akputeria
Ibomart Ibo market or mall
Ibonalysis = Applied or advanced Ibo logic
Ibonet = Ibo websites Ibo Blogs etc
Ibowood= Ibo movies and actors generallly
Ibonomics = Ibo economic activity
Ibophile Ibo lover or lover of Ibo Things Ibophilia The condition of an Ibophile Ibophilic
Ibophobe Ibo hater Ibophobia Ibophobic Ibophrenia(offensive see specialized texts)
Iborize to destroy by Ibo methods Iborization
Ibomatic having an Ibo flavour
Ibolify To Imbue with Iboness Ibolifying
Ibolyse To alter chemically through Ibo technology Ibolysing Ibolyzation.etc
Ibozine an Ibo Tabloid or magazine
Iborama a display of a wide range of Ibo artefacts,culture etc also Iboramic
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by Ariani: 7:51pm On May 20, 2016
omonnakoda:
How come you did not know ? Eboes are the most widely travelled ,most knowledgeable Nigerians?

Pressid went on for at least 4 years

Is it then your argument that Eboes are not represented because they did not know about it?
That's a what I call Ibonalysis

PRESSID was only open to first class graduates, private. Unis that share first class started proliferating recently in the East.
With more private unis in SE, Igbos steadily got more candidates qualifying for the PRESSID and that started reflecting on the over all performance of Igbos in the scheme, as we saw in the last PRESSID list.

Unless you provide the list of qualified first class graduates that applied for the first three editions of PRESSID and their ethnicities, as to take the average performance, you stats is at best useless. Same applies to the Mandela stuff, it's useless without the list of all Nigerian candidates that applied to take the average performance of each group.

Below is an example of the law of averages I was talking about:https://www.nairaland.com/2613463/igbos-most-brilliant-black-african/1

Only 15 Igbos applied for that exam, whereas 90 yorubas did. If we are to take just the numbers, it would appear that Yorubas did better, but a take of the averages painted a picture of Igbo dominance once again.

p://www.lambeth.gov.uk/rsu/sites/lambeth.gov.uk.rsu/files/Raising_the_Achievement_of_Black_African_Pupils-Good_Practice_in_Schools_2013.pdf
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by omonnakoda: 7:55pm On May 20, 2016
Ariani:

PRESSID was only open to first class graduates, private. Unis that share first class started proliferating recently in the East.

Unless you provide the list of qualified first class graduates that applied for the first three editions of PRESSID and their ethnicities, as to take the average performance, you stats is at best useless. Same applies to the Mandela stuff, it's useless without the list of all Nigerian candidates that applied to take the average performance of each group.

Below is an example of the law of averages I was talking about:https://www.nairaland.com/2613463/igbos-most-brilliant-black-african/1

Only 15 Igbos applied for that exam, whereas 90 yorubas did. If we are to take just the numbers, it would appear that Yorubas did better, but a take of the averages painted a picture of Igbo dominance once again.

Ibonalysis. According to your logic Yoruba do not do well in JAMB because they apply more to private universities?

Where is the list of people that apply for Common Entrance. Ibologic is understood only by Ibos
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by Ariani: 8:10pm On May 20, 2016
omonnakoda:
Ibonalysis. According to your logic Yoruba do not do well in JAMB because they apply more to private universities?

Where is the list of people that apply for Common Entrance. Ibologic is understood only by Ibos

Cut off marks for unity school entrance are done using law of averages. The average performance of each state determines its cut off marks. States with high percentage of high performers have high cut off marks and vice versa, this is not a rocket science, average performance is gotten by taking the average scores.

My logic is that since the organizers didn't tell us the average performance of each Nigerian region, we can only get that by seeing the total number of Yorubas that applied and their average performance. Without that info, there is really nothing we can make out of this your thread.
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by omonnakoda: 8:23pm On May 20, 2016
Ariani:

Cut off marks for unity school entrance are done using law of averages. The average performance of each state determines its cut off marks. States with high percentage of high performers have high cut off marks and vice versa, this is not a rocket science, average performance is gotten by taking the average scores.

My logic is that since the organizers didn't tell us the average performance of each Nigerian region, we can only get that by seeing the total number of Yorubas that applied and their average performance. Without that info, there is really nothing we can make out of this your thread.
Very Ibo kind of logic,intelligible to.................Ibos
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by omonnakoda: 9:17pm On May 24, 2016
Eboes are silent or silenced?
Re: Nigerians Selected For 2016 Mandela Washington Fellowship by Oluwasegun21: 6:37pm On Sep 28, 2016
Nigerian youth brains can be termed as dead. This should be an informative thread and not 4 insult btw some ibo and yoruba mumu. Instead on preparing ur self 4 d nxt scholarship in 2017, u are heare abusing each oda. I dnt blame pple dat says nigerian youth are nt employable. They smtym have no vision and find a way of criticizing everything weda gwd or bad.

1 Like

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

WAEC Threatens To Withhold 19 States Results Over Debts / Upper View From OAU Matriculation At Amphi Theatre. Acting VC absent / Ghanaian School Competition Uses Nigeria As A Reference For Fraud. See Reactions

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.