Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,211 members, 7,829,344 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 03:31 AM

Help Me With The Meaning - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Help Me With The Meaning (515 Views)

See The Meaning Of Long Distance Relationship (pics) / My Girlfriend Of 5yrs Said She Is An "EMERE" And I Dont Know The Meaning / Pls What Is The Meaning Of "Bae" And "Boo" (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply)

Help Me With The Meaning by Nobody: 4:40pm On May 10, 2016
I was listening to 102.3 FM between 12 - 2am which is Tuesday morning. The discussion was centered on married people having issues in their marriage or relationship. A certain lady called, let me call her Dupe she narrated the problem she's having with her husband who is more advanced in age compared to her.
The two male coaches of the radio station advised her on what to do having listened to what she said. My problem is I am not fluent with Yoruba language. Some of the advice was said in Yoruba dialect and English meaning given as well.
I got confused when they told her ( Dupe) if your husband comes back from work, kneel down on both knees and perform "oriki" on him till he is in another world. Also, tell him my husband I love you very much, I am grateful the way you have been providing for me and my child, but I crave so much for your attention,please carry me along in your future plan as I ( Dupe) want to be a lovely wife to you.

Please I need my Yoruba pals to tell me what "oriki" means in that context. I asked my colleagues at work ,they said eulogy but I do not agree in the context it was used. Which is why I am putting it up here,with the hope of getting a better answer.
Re: Help Me With The Meaning by Nobody: 4:46pm On May 10, 2016
Panegyrics is the closest meaning to that, I think
Re: Help Me With The Meaning by Hillzy(m): 5:58pm On May 10, 2016
Let me consult oduduwa n see......................... Bro d gods are silent

1 Like

(1) (Reply)

Reasons Why Your Parents Are Involved In Your Relationships / Can U Imagine / What Is Wrong With This Picture?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 8
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.