Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,315 members, 7,867,834 topics. Date: Saturday, 22 June 2024 at 04:12 AM

Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} - Religion (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} (21041 Views)

The Catholic Church May Be Right About Purgatory After All:near Death Experience / Is purgatory real? / Is Purgatory In The Bible? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 4:34pm On May 15, 2016
[quote author=analice107 post=45646426][/quote]
Okay it is now up to people to sit and decide what They want to believe and what they want to discard.

So you believe whatever suits you and dump the rest. This is no catholic vs protestant. This is me showing you why you think the way you do. Because that is what yhe protestant teaches. That you dare not believe whatever is not explicitly stated in the bible. Ignoring other traditions the apostles taught the early faithfuls.

This is me telling you why the catholic church remains the main authority, this is me educating you against solo scriptura and how the idea even first came about.

The bible you read now who verified that it should be scripture? How then do you accuse me of not caring about "legality" when the church is the one who actually determined what was legal. Till one fellow thought otherwise.
And stop bringing up all those conspiracy theories.. Very irrelevant here.

What you say you do is what Martin Luther did,he discarded the ones he didnt like. Simple! Since its now up to individuals to keep and discard.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 4:39pm On May 15, 2016
joey150:
why are you so fixated on maccabees..i agree. That your founder martin Luther removed it..ok i have showed you other evidences. Do you not see them?

On the revelation issue, it is crystal clear Ana..no need to even mince words there . read for yourself and understand.
Today is the feast of the pentecost..pray the holy spirit visits you like it did to the apsotles. And show you the truth.

As far as i am concerned all the excuses have come from you all saying its not in the bible when clearly it is.

My main ish is that you where once where the truth was, but in time of doubt you didn't ask or search had enough. And where the root of a tree is not strongly fixed to the earth,when the strong wind blows, it will always give way.
Cheers ana!

Joey, Heaven is waiting, there are souls to win, sitting down here arguing which book should or shdnt be in the Bible is totally inconsequential to me at this juncture. Let me try and read all these one first, understand them, practice them and pass them on. I think that's more important to me right now.
Goodluck.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Nobody: 5:06pm On May 15, 2016
joey150 post=45645859
:
the holy spirit continuously guides the church.
how sure are u
Do you think it was all a coincidence..catholic putting the bible together
there is no limit to what God can do..
Perter becoming the first pope
nothing like pope in the bible..
The Vatican housing most of the original manuscript of various writings? You think it all happened by chance. And hear you say it does not mean anything. How funny.
those writings are not inspired.

Jesus promised in matthew 16:18 that nothing shall prevail against his church,
not the roman catholic church.
so worry not about the devil..he has tried many times my friend..and he still tries to divide us.
Christ defeated Satan with the word of God.
But christ assures us that he will always protect his own
christ will always protect those who abide in the truth.shallom
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Nobody: 5:07pm On May 15, 2016
e]]the holy spirit continuously guides the church.[/quote]how sure are u
Do you think it was all a coincidence..catholic putting the bible together
there is no limit to what God can do..
Perter becoming the first pope
nothing like pope in the bible..
The Vatican housing most of the original manuscript of various writings? You think it all happened by chance. And hear you say it does not mean anything. How funny.
those writings are not inspired.

Jesus promised in matthew 16:18 that nothing shall prevail against his church,
not the roman catholic church.
so worry not about the devil..he has tried many times my friend..and he still tries to divide us.
Christ defeated Satan with the word of God.
But christ assures us that he will always protect his own[/quote]christ will always protect those who abide in the truth.shallom
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 5:19pm On May 15, 2016
[quote author=joey150 post=45646698]
Okay it is now up to people to sit and decide what They want to believe and what they want to discard.

So you believe whatever suits you and dump the rest. This is no catholic vs protestant. This is me showing you why you think the way you do. Because that is what yhe protestant teaches. That you dare not believe whatever is not explicitly stated in the bible. Ignoring other traditions the apostles taught the early faithfuls.

This is me telling you why the catholic church remains the main authority, this is me educating you against solo scriptura and how the idea even first came about.

The bible you read now who verified that it should be scripture? How then do you accuse me of not caring about "legality" when the church is the one who actually determined what was legal. Till one fellow thought otherwise.
And stop bringing up all those conspiracy theories.. Very irrelevant here.

What you say you do is what Martin Luther did,he discarded the ones he didnt like. Simple! Since its now up to individuals to keep and discard.
Martin Luther was a German Catholic Priest turn Christian. Am not German, am Nigeria. i never knew Luther, I grew up then i read about him, he read write the Bible neither did he write those other books.

You have a problem Joey. Pls answer this...
Why are they Two books of Daniel and Esther which Varices in everything but names?

If those books were given other names, they wont even be close to the church. And what about Tobit?
Lets see a little about Tobit.

In Tobit, a son of an old wealthy blind man sets to go to Media, (Maceedonia) where his father had his savings, to bring it back before he dies. While in Media, there was a young lady who had been married, seven times, and seven times her spirit husband, by name "ASMODEUS" killed them all. She was crying for death to kill her when the young man Tobiah met her, they both prayed and God sends a DISGUISED ANGEL, YES DISGUISED. Have you ever heard from the other scriptures that a prophet or whoever prayed a prayer but instead of God sending Gabriel with a Message or an answer, he sends A DISGUISED ANGEL to them?
Why is the Angel disguised?
Going on..., So, Raphael, the "disguised Angel" helps Tobiah, by delivering him from a large fish which attacked him as he was bathing, "Disguised Angel" Raphael said to Tobiah, "kill the Fish, take out the gall, heart, and liver, he did, he was later instructed by Angel Raphael to make a concoction which was used to pursue Asmodeus the Spirit husband.
So Tobiahs Marries Sarah and did not die. Tobiahs returns to Nineveh and used the concoction on his fathers eyes, and his father received his sight. The Angel went back to heaven, and everybody lived happily everafter.

pls where is the supernatural in this tale?
Is this story in consonance with other Biblical stories?
Who is the disguised Angel Raphael?
When did Raphael take the place of Gabriel?
Why couldnt the Angel deal with Asmodeus?
Concoction of Fish liver, heart, and gall?
Healing the sick with concoction rather than the supernatural?

Should i tell you Daniel's version?
Pulisssss. Believe what you want, i want to make heaven, fairy tales wont take me to heaven.
goodluck, how many times have i told you goodluck?
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 5:24pm On May 15, 2016
Syncan:

The Bible is everywhere, even online, it's not difficult even to search through commentaries if you don't understand. I have quoted scriptures, if you didn't find it lets know, if you found them and didn't agree, tell me.
You claim the Bible books of new testament referenced these books yet you want us to use google engine to check? I have the books, i have read the passages, but your readers may not have it , so am asking that you do it for them.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 6:13pm On May 15, 2016
solite3:
how sure are u
there is no limit to what God can do.. nothing like pope in the bible..those writings are not inspired.

not the roman catholic church.Christ defeated Satan with the word of God.
But christ assures us that he will always protect his ownchrist will always protect those who abide in the truth.shallom
peter was the first pope and you expect to see it in the bible? it is now a diary right?

so God in his infinite wisdom can do anything..including accidentally entrusting the church to compile his books?!

oh really!
if the writings are not inspired then the bible also isn't. because that was where it was gotten from and compiled by the church. the original manuscript where stored there.

enough said please!
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 6:24pm On May 15, 2016
analice107:

Joey, Heaven is waiting, there are souls to win, sitting down here arguing which book should or shdnt be in the Bible is totally inconsequential to me at this juncture. Let me try and read all these one first, understand them, practice them and pass them on. I think that's more important to me right now.
Goodluck.
what doing is worth doing well.

we are going to win souls for christ. buts whats the essence in a divided Christianity? one that has forgotten his roots?
how then can they take you serious.. when in 2 years time your church and half the members would probably split up again.

and the list goes and on. all am saying is keep in mind that these things are not made up.. so i rather you play ignorance on such matters than tell people we are misleading then.
when it is you who is in reality.

i have nothing against what you belive or how you choose to serve God. but I strongly wanna stress that some of your notions about the church be corrected.

because those to actually leave, are those that do more harm with all the lies or false accusations they start to spread around.

now you no what you didn't.. now you know better!

and if you dont believe in fairytales...but our bible is already a fairytale. because we actually compiled it both from ORAL TRADITION and EPISTLES and writings. out of the many thousands of books then..we carefully selected the gospel.
so if you will reject our teachings about a bible we compiled led under the wisdom of the holy spirit. you might as well reject the bible all together ana!

this is not me claiming arrogance and supremacy with regards to the church. this is me simply setting the records straight on some highly controversial issue.

as an ex catholic you basically knew little or nothing about the church, judging by your responses. which is very sad.

all the same, hopefully we all get to heaven safe and sound in the end. cheers!
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Syncan(m): 6:37pm On May 15, 2016
analice107:

You claim the Bible books of new testament referenced these books yet you want us to use google engine to check? I have the books, i have read the passages, but your readers may not have it , so am asking that you do it for them.

You are very persuasive. I hope it's sincere. Let me for now make some points clear, reference in the new testament isn't all that were considered in calling a book inspired, even the new testament itself passed through scrutiny. At the time of the collection there were old testament books not in the Palestinian Jewish canons, that were in the Alexandrian Jewish canons.

I will indulge you this once.

This is Heb 11.35. " Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life..."

Here St. Paul obviously was speaking about the heroic acts of the woman and her seven children in 2 Maccabees chapter 7, who preferred to lay down their lives than disobey the law of God. The woman had said in verse 29 of the book to her son: Don't be afraid of this butcher. Give up your life willingly and prove yourself worthy of your brothers, so that by God's mercy I may receive you back with them at the resurrection.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 6:40pm On May 15, 2016
joey150:
what doing is worth doing well.

we are going to win souls for christ. buts whats the essence in a divided Christianity? one that has forgotten his roots?
how then can they take you serious.. when in 2 years time your church and half the members would probably split up again.

and the list goes and on. all am saying is keep in mind that these things are not made up.. so i rather you play ignorance on such matters than tell people we are misleading then.
when it is you who is in reality.

i have nothing against what you belive or how you choose to serve God. but I strongly wanna stress that some of your notions about the church be corrected.

because those to actually leave, are those that do more harm with all the lies or false accusations they start to spread around.

now you no what you didn't.. now you know better!

and if you dont believe in fairytales...but our bible is already a fairytale. because we actually compiled it both from ORAL TRADITION and EPISTLES and writings. out of the many thousands of books then..we carefully selected the gospel.
so if you will reject our teachings about a bible we compiled led under the wisdom of the holy spirit. you might as well reject the bible all together ana!

this is not me claiming arrogance and supremacy with regards to the church. this is me simply setting the records straight on some highly controversial issue.

as an ex catholic you basically knew little or nothing about the church, judging by your responses. which is very sad.

all the same, hopefully we all get to heaven safe and sound in the end. cheers!
There's something you don't get, Catholicism is a distinct religion. Catholicism is not Christianity, No sir, it not. You go and win souls for the Pope, i will go and win for Christ.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Syncan(m): 6:48pm On May 15, 2016
analice107:

There's something you don't get, Catholicism is a distinct religion. Catholicism is not Christianity, No sir, it not. You go and win souls for the Pope, i will go and win for Christ.

Hahaha, for two thousand years, Catholics spread the good news, won souls for Christ, from atheists and Pagans of different nations including your fore fathers. They laid their lives for it, they were eating by wild beasts, crucified, drowned, burnt, yet they preached on Christ crucified. They Collected, selected and canonized a list of books into one book, to help them propagate this Christianity. Whoever you call your champion in whatever supposed Christianity you practice, learned about Christ from the Catholic Church.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by analice107: 6:54pm On May 15, 2016
Syncan:

You are very persuasive. I hope it's sincere. Let me for now make some points clear, reference in the new testament isn't all that were considered in calling a book inspired, even the new testament itself passed through scrutiny. At the time of the collection there were old testament books not in the Palestinian Jewish canons, that were in the Alexandrian Jewish canons.

I will indulge you this once.

This is Heb 11.35. " Women received back their dead by resurrection. Some were tortured, refusing to accept release, so that they might rise again to a better life..."

Here St. Paul obviously was speaking about the heroic acts of the woman and her seven children in 2 Maccabees chapter 7, who preferred to lay down their lives than disobey the law of God. The woman had said in verse 29 of the book to her son: Don't be afraid of this butcher. Give up your life willingly and prove yourself worthy of your brothers, so that by God's mercy I may receive you back with them at the resurrection.
You are indulging me? No sir, you are not. You posted the verses which you are yet to complete.
Talking about the correlation of those scriptures, that appears like desperation to me, that is like grabbing straws trying to keep afloat. Those Scriptures not related sir.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 7:10pm On May 15, 2016
analice107:

as much as you would like to say or think absurd things about the church.
it is my prayer that one day you retrace your steps and come back home.

have all your freedom,explore wherever you feel suits you. but in the end i hope you come back to the truth..just like the prodigal son in the bible.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Syncan(m): 7:58pm On May 15, 2016
analice107:

You are indulging me? No sir, you are not. You posted the verses which you are yet to complete.
Talking about the correlation of those scriptures, that appears like desperation to me, that is like grabbing straws trying to keep afloat. Those Scriptures not related sir.

Good thing you said to do it for those reading and not for you. i have posted it , if you didnt see then let it be, let those who see make use of it.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by DoctorAlien(m): 9:40pm On May 15, 2016
Joey150, is Jesus command in Matt. 5:48 impossible?

Did David go to purgatory?

Nothing unclean shall enter Heaven: is the blood of Jesus not enough to make one fit for Heaven?

If the only group that will be in Heaven are those who washed their robes in the blood of the Lamb, where is purgatory in the picture?
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Ubenedictus(m): 9:46pm On May 15, 2016
Syncan:

Hahaha, for two thousand years, Catholics spread the good news, won souls for Christ, from atheists and Pagans of different nations including your fore fathers. They laid their lives for it, they were eating by wild beasts, crucified, drowned, burnt, yet they preached on Christ crucified. They Collected, selected and canonized a list of books into one book, to help them propagate this Christianity. Whoever you call your champion in whatever supposed Christianity you practice, learned about Christ from the Catholic Church.
amen
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by DoctorAlien(m): 9:54pm On May 15, 2016
Syncan:

You mean for more than a millenium, the catholic church was busy persecuting the saints of GOD? Killing the Waldensians and the Albigenses who stood for Scriptural truth? Hunting down and killing and maiming anyone that dared oppose their abominable teachings? Killing untold millions by the fire of inquisiton and trying to remove the light of GOD's word from the people?

Nevertheless, the light of GOD's word can never be hidden.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Ubenedictus(m): 10:01pm On May 15, 2016
analice107:

Like i said, when you have made up your mind to disobey, you come up with excuses. My dear, go ahead, its your headache.
Listen, I have this Bible here to live by and obey what it says, and am trying to, falling and rising every now and then.
The one i have here, i have not been able to obey all, now you are fighting to bring in more books that have no spiritual relevance or Prophecies. If i can but live by Just the Sermon on the mount, i will be on my way to heaven. You, go ahead and gather those other books.
Maccabees, 1&2
Judith
Tobit
Wisdom
Sirach
Songs of Songs
Esther
Daniel
You go ahead and include these books, for me, i have read them and found them of no relevance, but from "Sirach" Which is more or less like Proverbs.
My hands are full already with the Bible.
Goodluck.
So u think it is ok for people to delete books from the bible simply because they dont like them and cant understand them? dat is what u have been defending.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 10:12pm On May 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

Nothing unclean shall enter Heaven: is the blood of Jesus not enough to make one fit for Heaven?

If the only group that will be in Heaven are those who washed their robes in the blood of the Lamb, where is purgatory in the picture?

the david part was just an example of God forgiving you but still punishes you in the end. which has been your watchword,that how can you be forgiven and still punished.

as for the perfect part...if it was impossible Jesus wouldnt have urged us to be perfect.

what did you think was hapenning here? just say what you think.

Matthew: 5. 25. Be at agreement with thy adversary betimes, whilst thou art in the way with him: lest perhaps the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. 26. Amen I say to thee, thou shalt not go out from thence till thou repay the last farthing. - keep in mind that is the sermon on the mount. where Jesus taught about heaven
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Syncan(m): 10:13pm On May 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I don't expect you to go back to already answered questions. I took care of this yesterday. Go back to it.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Ubenedictus(m): 10:15pm On May 15, 2016
analice107:

Goodluck.
So u dont care that somebody removed books from the bible? u are happy with a mutilated bible?

you have been shouting about bible to catholics since morning and yet u dont care that the bible you have is not the complete bible canonise in d 4th century.

i dont think u care about the truth all u care about is throwing jabs at catholics

1 Like

Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Syncan(m): 10:18pm On May 15, 2016
Ubenedictus:
So u dont care that somebody removed books from the bible? u are happy with a mutilated bible?

you have been shouting about bible to catholics since morning and yet u dont care that the bible you have is not the complete bible canonise in d 4th century.

i dont think u care about the truth all u care about is throwing jabs at catholics

I gave her the benefit of doubt, but she gave me the same impression as you have now.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by DoctorAlien(m): 10:23pm On May 15, 2016
Joey150, explain purgatory in the light of these verses:

"But this man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of GOD;" Heb. 10:12

"For by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." Heb. 10:14

"And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin." Heb. 10:17-18

"Christ also died for sins once and for all" 1 Pet. 3:18
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by DoctorAlien(m): 10:26pm On May 15, 2016
joey150:
Matthew: 5. 25. Be at agreement with thy adversary betimes, whilst thou art in the way with him: lest perhaps the adversary deliver thee to the judge, and the judge deliver thee to the officer, and thou be cast into prison. 26. Amen I say to thee, thou shalt not go out from thence till thou repay the last farthing. - keep in mind that is the sermon on the mount. where Jesus taught about heaven

In this passage, who is the adversary?
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Ubenedictus(m): 10:31pm On May 15, 2016
analice107:

Ube, when it was written is not in question. My query is that, why is there no reference? It didn't reference any book of the Bible, and no Bible Book referenced it. No prophecy, no revelation. Its all about Maccabeus's War exploits. I have it here.
Now that you Mention Daniel, Do you know that the Version of that book of Daniel is different from the one in the Bible?
e.g, The reason Daniel was thrown into the Lions Den, is a different reason all together there.
In the Bible Daniel stayed just a night in the Lions Den, in this your book, Daniel spent 5 days in the Den, and Jews coming all the way from Jerusalem at night to sneak food to him in the Den.
Do you know that their Esther is a totally different Esther from the Bible's Esther?
My dear, the books has no iota of revelations in them.
Between the compiler of the book and the people who deleted things from it who do u think have d correct version.
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 10:31pm On May 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

In this passage, who is the adversary?
in the context that he was teaching of heaven..who do you think?
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by DoctorAlien(m): 10:38pm On May 15, 2016
joey150:
in the context that he was teaching of heaven..who do you think?

I asked you the question: who is the adversary in the passage?
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by joey150(m): 10:49pm On May 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

I asked you the question: who is the adversary in the passage?

i was the one that put this verse to you.. how then can you now be the one asking the question??

scared to answer??
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by Ubenedictus(m): 10:52pm On May 15, 2016
DoctorAlien:

You mean for more than a millenium, the catholic church was busy persecuting the saints of GOD? Killing the Waldensians and the Albigenses who stood for Scriptural truth? Hunting down and killing and maiming anyone that dared oppose their abominable teachings? Killing untold millions by the fire of inquisiton and trying to remove the light of GOD's word from the people?

Nevertheless, the light of GOD's word can never be hidden.
So u agree with the albigensis that d old testament was written by d devil and dat he created ur body, Do u perform consolametum with them?

The next time u identify wit heretics try to read abt them
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by DoctorAlien(m): 10:54pm On May 15, 2016
joey150:
i was the one that put this verse to you.. how then can you now be the one asking the question??

scared to answer??

Okay. I don't know what's happening in the passage. I came to learn.

Can you now explain to me? Who is the adversary?
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by DoctorAlien(m): 10:56pm On May 15, 2016
Ubenedictus:
So u agree with the albigensis that d old testament was written by d devil and dat he created ur body, Do u perform consolametum with them?

The next time u identify wit heretics try to read abt them

Who gave the catholic church the right to perpetrate the abominable evil they did in the dark ages?
Re: Purgatory....Real Or Fairytale? {updated} by DoctorAlien(m): 10:59pm On May 15, 2016
Joey150, answer this:

DoctorAlien:
Joey150, explain purgatory in the light of these verses:

"But this man, after He had offered one sacrifice for sins for ever, sat down on the right hand of GOD;" Heb. 10:12

"For by one offering He hath perfected for ever them that are sanctified." Heb. 10:14

"And their sins and iniquities will I remember no more. Now where remission of these is, there is no more offering for sin." Heb. 10:17-18

"Christ also died for sins once and for all" 1 Pet. 3:18

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) ... (18) (Reply)

Electrifying Celebrations As Sisterhood-africa/global Prayer Conference Holds / Mountain Of Fire Celebrates 30th Anniversary Today / Pastor Mrs Veronica Going Viral is a Fake News: See the real Evidence Here

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 113
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.