Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,726 members, 7,831,302 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 04:47 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (115) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (683150 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Rheenah: 7:46am On Jun 11, 2016
dannybrown19:

You need a bank statement because Berea college only offer tuition scholarship but you ve got room and board and also health insurance to pay for
So bro, you need a bank statement.
You can request a new i-20 for correction of your name.

Not really. Everything is funded. Everything. Its all on the i20 and the school contacted me too. Its only a $2200 deposit that intl students need to make incase of emergency back home nd you will do that before ur i20 is sent. Nd its sis not bro lol. Im a girl. Tnx anyways

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Rheenah: 7:48am On Jun 11, 2016
Walspring:

You can pay Sevis fee if you have your sevis number and school code written on your I20 before filling ds160..

The coupon payment will be generated for you after submitting your sevis fee payment form and the coupon code is what will be use to help you pay Sevis fee via western union or money order payment method
Please please elaborate. I still dont get it
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Rheenah: 7:50am On Jun 11, 2016
Fortissimo:

Wow congrats. Great school. They give all students full tuition waiver. What about living expenses though? Yeah, get them to correct the name. They will, its no big deal just that it's probably peak period for the people that issue I-20s.

Room board nd health insurance is covered. They also give you a meal plan. You are practically getting everything for free. But you gats have a few dollar of ur own though

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by dannybrown19: 7:54am On Jun 11, 2016
Rheenah:

Not really. Everything is funded. Everything. Its all on the i20 and the school contacted me too. Its only a $2200 deposit that intl students need to make incase of emergency back home nd you will do that before ur i20 is sent. Nd its sis not bro lol. Im a girl. Tnx anyways
Wow, that's good. On the aspect of room and board, they probably started it. I remember some time when you have to pay 5k plus for room and board for a year
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by shumoh: 7:58am On Jun 11, 2016
Hi naira landers. My name is Anunwa Alexander. Iam searching for a university to study for phd information technology in America on full scholarship. Please can anyone help me
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Olabimpesparkle: 8:04am On Jun 11, 2016
[quote author=worry359 post=46467741]

Have you ever considered telling the TRUTH![size=10pt][/size]

Why is your first thought or reaction to make up a story and lie to the visa officer?
You have an explanation in writing from your school, present that!
You stand more chance of a rejection by lying than by telling the truth. Visa officers are trained to look out for liars.[/quote

Why are you quick to judge that I intend to lie to the VO? I do not intend to lie to the VO and that is why am here asking questions.
Thank you for responding.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Rheenah: 8:04am On Jun 11, 2016
dannybrown19:

Wow, that's good. On the aspect of room and board, they probably started it. I remember some time when you have to pay 5k plus for room and board for a year

Wow. When was that? Even with the work program u still pay $5k ...
I wanna knoe, if a new i20 is sent to me will the sevis id be the same? Bc i want to pay my sevis fee and all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 8:19am On Jun 11, 2016
worry359:

Why is your first thought or reaction to make up a story and lie to the visa officer?
You stand more chance of a rejection by lying than by telling the truth. Visa officers are trained to look out for liars.

Seconded. Olabimpesparkle, you have already given the explanation in your writeup. VOs are not devils. There's no correct answer or master key answer. Just present your situation as you did here, truthfully and accurately. They know how things work and are usually very good at their jobs.

Modified: worry359 we kinda jumped the gun here though, she actually didn't say she wanted to lie or was looking for a lie to tell. She only wanted advice on how to present her case.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 8:19am On Jun 11, 2016
shumoh:
Hi naira landers. My name is Anunwa Alexander. Iam searching for a university to study for phd information technology in America on full scholarship. Please can anyone help me
Start from 1) www.google.com 2) www.thegradcafe.com 3) www.msinus.com 4) www.gradschool.com 5) www.edulix.com 6) www.usnews.com. then come back for any specific question. cheers

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 8:26am On Jun 11, 2016
shumoh:

In addition to the advice given by femi, tell us your profile (educational, research, work background). That will guide your school search. There are over 500 decent universities in the US so it is a daunting search.

Depending on your profile, goals and aspirations, you can usually narrow your search down to about 100 schools.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by plauses: 8:58am On Jun 11, 2016
So I had my Visa Approved this morning,

Here's the transcript

Appointment time 7:30am Abuja Embassy.
I arrived the Embassy by 6am Expecting to have a very long queue. But the crowd wasn't so much.
At 7 am they called us in to do verification and then wait for the VO to arrive.
They arrived at 7:50, and the woman at window 8 had denied everyone she interviewed. I was praying not to go there.
Then I was called and alas Window 8.

Plauses: Good morning ma
VO: Good morning, how do you do?
Plauses: I'm doing good thank you and you? How do you do too?
VO: I'm well. So give me your I-20 and passport
(I handed them over)
VO:so I see you were denied a student Visa about 11 years ago, did you go on to continue your studies?
Plauses: yes I did
VO: so I see you're going to do a Doctorate, what's your highest level of education?
Plauses:I have a bachelors degree
VO: I see you have a graduate assistantship, can you explain how that works?
Plauses: I get a full Tuition Waiver and and annual stipend in exchange for working in Research or As. graduate Assistant.
VO: so who is paying for the balance of your fees?
Plauses: I have savings from working, and my mum is co-sponsoring.
VO: do you know what kind of research you'd be doing?
Plauses: yes I'll be involved in Cancer research, my dad died from a liver cancer a couple of years back and that experience fueled my interest in cancer research.
VO: I see you work, where do you work?
Plauses: I told her my workplace
VO: what do you do:
Plauses: starts explaining (VO interrupts)
VO: Your visa has been approved, you will collect it from this destination in 3 days. Good luck.
Plauses: thank you

18 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 9:02am On Jun 11, 2016
worry359:

You stand more chance of a rejection by lying than by telling the truth. Visa officers are trained to look out for liars.

If it isn't our resident troll, I can recognise your simple one dimensional answers to honestly asked questions from space... What you are doing here I don't even understand sef @olabimpesparkle Don't rock the boat your school has given you quality explanation, The duration written on your I-20 is cannon, go with that... Even if the duration of your program is 200 months you will be issued a 2 yr Visa and be stamped in D/S (Duration of your F1 status) at the POE

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by plauses: 9:09am On Jun 11, 2016
so that's how mine went, have faith in God. Pray about it and just go. He will see you through.

4 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by lionlee216(m): 9:13am On Jun 11, 2016
plauses:
so that's how mine went, have faith in God. Pray about it and just go. He will see you through.

Congrats bro!

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by plauses: 9:33am On Jun 11, 2016
lionlee216:

Congrats bro!

Thanks bro

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by petarrhh(m): 9:39am On Jun 11, 2016
sirRiddy:
Not sure about that. Others can answer that.
Good day sirRiddy, I sent you a email message. I need to chat with you privately. Thanks
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Priceless200(f): 9:41am On Jun 11, 2016
Congrats plauses.... Enjoy your stay and achieve all your aim in Obamaland.. Cheers!!!!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by petarrhh(m): 9:42am On Jun 11, 2016
dickoflife:
Wetin dey worry u sef? Must u show that ife agbero mentality? U con open mouth like person wey dey toilet no see shit comot. Shebi me and u don talk as e go be na?.. Je ki ori wa kpe o, ka mo oun ta nse o.
Good day dickoflife, I need to chat with you privately sir. I already sent you an email message. Thanks in advance sir!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 9:48am On Jun 11, 2016
petarrhh:

Good day dickoflife, I need to chat with you privately sir. I already sent you an email message. Thanks in advance sir!

dickoflife is sir? grin grin grin just when you thought you've heard it all oga look dicko is dicko and no sir is needed, he is just a regular nonsense boy joor

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DareFadi(f): 9:53am On Jun 11, 2016
Olabimpesparkle:
Good day everyone, please I just got admission an MBA to St Clouds state university and I got my I20 but on my I20, the program length says 36 months but on the school website MBA should be completed in 16 months. When I mailed the graduate cordinator she said they normally put 36 months for MBA in case I'd like to differ some courses or Incase I decide not to take some courses at a point in time. All in all she said the program length on the I20 is giving me enough time to finish my MBA course in case of unforeseen circumstances, even though I intend to finish the program in 16months.
My problem now is how do I explain to the VO that I'll be doing MBA for 3years? It's usually 2 years or less and I don't know if I am to put 16 months or 36 months on my DS 160.
Can someone please advice me . Your response would be appreciated.

This is common so i am sure the VO is not seeing this for the first time. If u are very worried have d graduate coordinator send you something in writing (an explanation ) and u print it off and take it to the interview. ... however some schools have 36 months even though the program is 24months. I am very sure its not a problem on ur end . U are not the one who put the 36 on the i20 so why is it ur job to explain it. Ur own is to explain why u picked that school and your long term goals after it.

On your ds 160 put date to correspond with your i20 . ....it wont even matter much because master visa is 2 years anyway so the visa stamp wont be 3 years or 36 months anyways .

If your course work not completed before the F1 2 years visa end date, you can still continue attending school and continue course work. You don’t need visa renewal or visa stamping as long as you maintain Full time student status at the university.

If you still worried then call the embassy .
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Simon21(m): 10:03am On Jun 11, 2016
Donprada:
hello great people, my school said I should register with eshipglobal so that they can pickup my i20 for me but when I inquired about the fee, I saw that eshipglobal charge about $106 which is too much (mehn gbese with dollar naira rise). Please whats the possible cheapest and efficient way to get my i20? Can I just work to fedex/dhl office here in lagos and schedule a pickup? Does it work that way? Please its urgent
If eshipglobal is d only option they offered u, I suggest u go with it, uhv did same to me, they offered me 2 options, eshipglobal or they mail to me which will take 5 to 7 weeks to arrive. I paid $109 for mine, thanks to my elder brother who has been covering all the cost for me. I know $106 is much but it's a worthy sacrifice. You could still search for other options though
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by phillips19: 10:07am On Jun 11, 2016
gunther6:

Philip pls mail away
OK thanks. What is your email address?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Simon21(m): 10:30am On Jun 11, 2016
plauses:

Here's the transcript

I arrived the Embassy by 6am Expecting to have a very long queue. But the crowd wasn't so much.
At 7 am they called us in to do verification and then wait for the VO to arrive.
They arrived at 7:50, and the woman at window 8 had denied everyone she interviewed. I was praying not to go there.

(I handed them over)
VO:so I see you were denied a student Visa about 11 years ago, did you go on to continue your studies?
VO: so I see you're going to do a Doctorate, what's your highest level of education?
Plauses: I get a full Tuition Waiver and and annual stipend in exchange for working in Research or As. graduate Assistant.
Plauses: yes I'll be involved in Cancer research, my dad died from a liver cancer a couple of years back and that experience fueled my interest in cancer research.
VO: Your visa has been approved, you will collect it from this destination in 3 days. Good luck.
Congrats bro, one of the rare Abuja embassy transcripts I've seen on this thread
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by daaz001: 10:40am On Jun 11, 2016
plauses:

Here's the transcript

(I handed them over)

Congrats bro and welcome to Obamaland. I pray my testimony will also come this very month...IJN.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Rheenah: 10:50am On Jun 11, 2016
Pls people i need answers sad
1) do i pay sevis fee before completing the ds-160 form or should it be vice versa?
2) i am requesting a new i20. There was a misspelling of name in my old one. Will the sevis id change)
3) if the sevis id wont change, can i pay sevis fee now then wait for the new i20 to arrive before booking an interview. Thank you!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by gunther6(m): 11:14am On Jun 11, 2016
phillips19:
OK thanks. What is your email address?

Send a PM
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Olabimpesparkle: 11:14am On Jun 11, 2016
DareFadi:

This is common so i am sure the VO is not seeing this for the first time. If u are very worried have d graduate coordinator send you something in writing (an explanation ) and u print it off and take it to the interview. ... however some schools have 36 months even though the program is 24months. I am very sure its not a problem on ur end . U are not the one who put the 36 on the i20 so why is it ur job to explain it. Ur own is to explain why u picked that school and your long term goals after it.

On your ds 160 put date to correspond with your i20 . ....it wont even matter much because master visa is 2 years anyway so the visa stamp wont be 3 years or 36 months anyways .

If your course work not completed before the F1 2 years visa end date, you can still continue attending school and continue course work. You don’t need visa renewal or visa stamping as long as you maintain Full time student status at the university.

If you still worried then call the embassy .[/[quote author=DareFadi post=46471418]

Thank you very much for this.Much appreciated
If you still worried then call the embassy .
quote]
Thank you very much for this. Much appreciated.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Olabimpesparkle: 11:15am On Jun 11, 2016
gunther6:

If it isn't our resident troll, I can recognise your simple one dimensional answers to honestly asked questions from space... What you are doing here I don't even understand sef @olabimpesparkle Don't rock the boat your school has given you quality explanation, The duration written on your I-20 is cannon, go with that... Even if the duration of your program is 200 months you will be issued a 2 yr Visa and be stamped in D/S (Duration of your F1 status) at the POE
Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by shumoh: 11:17am On Jun 11, 2016
femi321:
Start from 1) www.google.com 2) www.thegradcafe.com 3) www.msinus.com 4) www.gradschool.com 5) www.edulix.com 6) www.usnews.com. then come back for any specific question. cheers
Thanks alot
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 11:17am On Jun 11, 2016
Rheenah:
Pls people i need answers sad
1) do i pay sevis fee before completing the ds-160 form or should it be vice versa?
2) i am requesting a new i20. There was a misspelling of name in my old one. Will the sevis id change)
3) if the sevis id wont change, can i pay sevis fee now then wait for the new i20 to arrive before booking an interview. Thank you!
I answered your questions yesternight.

1) No particular order, just make sure you pay your sevis as soon as possible. Normally, if u pay tru western union,it takes 2 business days befr the embassy can confirm your payment.
2) Your sevis id won't change..
3)pay sevis now, then wait for your new i-20 befr you book your visa appointment.
Try put a call across to your school concerning your i-20.
Wish you all the best
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 11:21am On Jun 11, 2016
gunther6:

Mostly No unless the school ticks weekend delivery as an option
Thanks baba
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 11:27am On Jun 11, 2016
plauses:

Congratulations.
That means people are trooping to Lagos

(1) (2) (3) ... (112) (113) (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) ... (402)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / General USA Student Visa Enquiries-part 17

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.