Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,886 members, 7,814,004 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 12:12 AM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (147) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (679456 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by onyembu2013: 10:55pm On Jun 16, 2016
oluphy:
Hello guys..... am a daily "reader" but hardly comment.... Got my visa approved on Monday... Thanks to monsier2016 and jenivah64 for the mock interviews... and also sirRiddy, fizzle and th other guys from the GRE thread... The beauty of this thread is it helps u streamline ur answers right from the application to the interview proper. Great job guys
TRANSCRIPT
VO went straight to business, was her first applicant.
VO: How did u hear about texas a & M University, kingsville
Me: it was initially referred to me by a colleague whr I currently intern. I contacted the grad cord Dr Ali and inquired, also researched further on the faculty members and was impressed with thr high industrial experience
VO: How many schs did u apply to
Me: 3
VO: namely
Me: tamuk. LSU and purdue uni
VO: hw many admits
Me: 2, LSU and Tamuk
VO: so why did you choose TAMUK over LSU
Me: Had some1 that graduated from TAMUK, his referral made it easy
VO: took an test
Me: yes, GRE
VO: your score
Me: 307, 147v 160Q
VO: what was your UG?
Me: Chemical Engr
VO: Your masters will b in?
Me: Chemical Engineerins also
VO: when did you graduate?
Me: Feb 2015
VO: who's your sponsor?
Me: My uncle
VO: what does he do?
Me: He's a realtor, deal in the construction and selling of housing units and office complexes
VO: your visa ha been approved.
Was just numb, No expression, was d first to get approval on Monday, Be smart when answering and prepare well, give good short answers, Dont lie, cos the memory wldnt be thr, u will Bleep up. Rather build the real answers smartly. By the way, I wasn't this fluent, but I have ds belief " so far she no fit flog me, I go talk my own".... Thanks... Any other person heading to TAMUK?

Congrats oluphy. I saw you on Monday. You were wearing white shirt and blue trouser.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mayflowa(m): 11:30pm On Jun 16, 2016
mevisbleek:

FYI: My woman has been accepted to Univ... of Denver, heading out in Aug. Colorado seems to be an expensive state. If I had known better maybe we would have gone for cheaper places like Texas. Please, research cost of living before selecting a state to school at.

Colorado is such a nice place to live. Checkmate best place to live in US. Colorado is number 1
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by fizzile(m): 11:49pm On Jun 16, 2016
oluphy:
Hello guys..... am a daily "reader" but hardly comment.... Got my visa approved on Monday... Thanks to monsier2016 and jenivah64 for the mock interviews... and also sirRiddy, fizzle and th other guys from the GRE thread... The beauty of this thread is it helps u streamline ur answers right from the application to the interview proper. Great job guys
TRANSCRIPT
Me: it was initially referred to me by a colleague whr I currently intern. I contacted the grad cord Dr Ali and inquired, also researched further on the faculty members and was impressed with thr high industrial experience
Me: He's a realtor, deal in the construction and selling of housing units and office complexes
Was just numb, No expression, was d first to get approval on Monday, Be smart when answering and prepare well, give good short answers, Dont lie, cos the memory wldnt be thr, u will Bleep up. Rather build the real answers smartly. By the way, I wasn't this fluent, but I have ds belief " so far she no fit flog me, I go talk my own".... Thanks... Any other person heading to TAMUK?
Congrats. So happy for you.

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by fizzile(m): 11:57pm On Jun 16, 2016
Justwise and admin,please permit me to post this. It will help someone. To qualify for 2016/2017 NAE Post Graduate Scholarship Award scheme, applicants MUST: 1. Possess a minimum of Second Class Upper division in any of the relevant disciplines from a recognised Nigerian university. 2. Have secured admission into a Nigerian or Overseas university for a one year Master’s Degree programme in any of the disciplines listed below. 3. Not be above 28 years of age by December 31st, 2016. 4. Have completed the one year National Youth Service Corps (NYSC) programme. Course of Study Only candidates with offer of admission and BSc degrees in disciplines related to the following areas should apply; • Geosciences • Engineering (Petroleum, Mechanical, Civil, Subsea, Electrical/Electronics, Marine, Chemical) • Petroleum Economics • Law (Oil and Gas/Petroleum) Please note: 1. ONLY Shortlisted candidates will be contacted for the aptitude test. 2. Shortlisted candidates will be contacted with details of the qualifying test via SMS and Email (Ensure to provide valid email and phone contacts). 3. Employees of NAE and other affiliate companies and their dependents are not eligible. 4. Current and past beneficiaries of similar awards from NAE, other companies and agencies are not eligible. 5. Please ensure you understand the Instructions carefully before you start this application to avoid errors and disqualification. 6. Strict compliance with above guidelines is required. 7. Application closes midnight, 26th June, 2016. The Computer Based Test for shortlisted candidates shall be conducted on 9th July, 2016 Apply through here: http://scholastica.ng/schemes/ naescholarships
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by femoalaofin: 12:07am On Jun 17, 2016
oluphy:
TRANSCRIPT

sorry o, did finish from lautech?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 12:28am On Jun 17, 2016
ayosco2008:

Thanks for the suggestion. I really appreciate
Let's give the thanks to God

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Walspring: 12:35am On Jun 17, 2016
OluDare01:

Let's give the thanks to God

gringringringringringringringringringrin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 12:38am On Jun 17, 2016
Walspring:

Na your lyrics I dey copy o grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by happney65: 12:41am On Jun 17, 2016
Mod's Can you please vet those selling Foreign currency here?I mean those that call themselves E-Aboki..It wont be fine if any body comes up with stories of being scammed or duped..Hope you get my drift?I think we should be careful..Am not saying otherwise,but we should still be careful though..

Na my own Tori be that.. Walspring and Profojah2 wetin i talk?

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by biikeys(m): 3:12am On Jun 17, 2016
Mayflowa:

Colorado is such a nice place to live. Checkmate best place to live in US. Colorado is number 1

Have you lived there? The question you should ask is, best in what sense..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by PURE69: 3:19am On Jun 17, 2016
Mayflowa:

Is it because weed is legalized in that state? grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 6:44am On Jun 17, 2016
Udiboy it will be hard for total strangers to
transact with you especially given this huge 'gender'
inconsistency. This is not saying that you are fake
or a scammer, but you will better off doing business
with those who trust you already or clarifying the inconsistency.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by justwise(m): 6:46am On Jun 17, 2016
happney65:
Mod's Can you please vet those selling Foreign currency here?I mean those that call themselves E-Aboki..It wont be fine if any body comes up with stories of being scammed or duped..Hope you get my drift?I think we should be careful..Am not saying otherwise,but we should still be careful though..

Na my own Tori be that.. Walspring and Profojah2 wetin i talk?

Noted.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 6:49am On Jun 17, 2016
Bros why was my post hidden?
Did I flout any rule?
justwise:

Noted.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 6:51am On Jun 17, 2016
grin grin grin grin
Walspring come and see this haemaphrodite o
grin
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by justwise(m): 6:57am On Jun 17, 2016
sirRiddy:
Bros why was my post hidden?
Did I flout any rule?

No rule broken, I was only removing certain post unfortunately you quoted it.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by AgreatMan: 7:02am On Jun 17, 2016
oluphy:
TRANSCRIPT

Congrata. Cc dicapino

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Pasadena009: 7:44am On Jun 17, 2016
I have been wanting to share my experience; never shared it publicly, perhaps this will be a great avenue to do so. Got my visa in 2007 at the US Lagos Consulate office. All ten people that went before me were denied. Back then when they had speaker microphone...every hears what the conversation was. Lol. One guy threw tantrums after his 3rd denial in anger. They called the security on him; I bet that would be his last US visa adventurism. Lol! I'll do my best to paraphrase the exact VO response.

I arrived at approximately 8am, my interview was at 9am. I was barely 18 yrs old...a month shy

Interview
VO: Good morning young man
Me: Good morning ma'am
VO: What's your full name?
ME: Answered...stammer on my first name like I usually do; took 8 seconds to get it out. I realized she was patiently looking at me as I blocked & stammered with the pain of a mother.
VO: Appears that you have a stammer
Me: Yes I do
VO: My son has it too. Take your time and I'll be patient with you
Me: Very appreciative ma'am.
VO: What's your date of birth.
Me: Told her xxxxxx
VO: What university are you going to?
Me: California Institute of Technology
VO: She paused, look at me and said...that's the best engineering school in the country and probably also in the world.
Me: I very much aware that
VO: You must be an ingenious since only the likes of Albert Einstein go there
Me: Smiled. I guess I must be as smart as Einstein.
VO: Grinned. What course are going to be studying?
Me: Mechanical engineering as major and minor in Aerospace engineering.
VO: Who is your sponsor?
Me: I have my Dad's bank statement however I'm under full scholarship for both undergraduate and graduate programs by CALTECH.
VO: Can I see your bank statement and proof of scholarship
Me: Sure
VO: Very unusual to have a student born with a silver spoon riding on a full academic college scholarship to a prestigious school.
Me: Smiled.
VO: Can I see your tests and scores
Me: Gave her my Waec, SAT and Toefl
VO: Looked at me again,
VO: Talked to her next officer, they both looked at me again.
Me: Now I'm wondering...hope all is well
VO: I see you have all distinctions, overall best in your class and also have the highest SAT score we have seen here.
Me: Thank you ma'am
VO: Why did you choose CALTECH?
Me: Actually I had applied and accepted on full scholarship to MIT, Georgia Tech and CALTECH.
VO: I see but you didn't answer my question
Me: Oh, I chose CALTECH simply because I wanted to be close to water/beach, cool weather as I don't like snow and high humidity with respect to Massachusetts and Georgia respectively.
VO: Smiled
VO: Congratulations, come back at noon to pick up your visa. Wish you all the best!
Me: Thank you ma'am

That was how I left the country! My advice is...be yourself. One thing I observed with every of my secondary school classmates that left for US was they were all going for engineering. The ones that were going for art, humanities or pure science majors, most were denied. Age is also a factor too...under 25 seem reasonable for undergraduate. Above 25, I would advise you go the graduate route.

Another big secret, apply to schools in small towns. This people have in-house algorithm that distributes international students evenly around the schools in US...otherwise you will have 20 people going to Los Angeles or Houston but none to Albuquerque or Provo. I swear if you apply to Albuquerque in the state of New Mexico...I swear, you must get visa. This is a powerful secret I'm giving out here. The reason is that this people want international students in those small towns since most people generally would prefer big cities with prospects. A former consulate officer told me this.

12 Likes 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Simon21(m): 7:46am On Jun 17, 2016
Please gurus I need u guys to help me with mock interviews.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by worry359(m): 7:51am On Jun 17, 2016
Simon21:
Please gurus I need u guys to help me with mock interviews.

Just tell the TRUTH then you will not have problems remembering stuff.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by sofadj(m): 8:04am On Jun 17, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 8:21am On Jun 17, 2016
Pasadena009:
grin
Do you live in Pasadena, California?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Simon21(m): 8:23am On Jun 17, 2016
worry359:

Just tell the TRUTH then you will not have problems remembering stuff.
Thanks, I am just trying to build my confidence and I believe answering questions regularly would help me on that and brush me up more.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 8:26am On Jun 17, 2016
sofadj:
Pls has anyone here filled the Form A?

Did your school make use of 'FlyWire' ?.
I have a couple of questions.

1. If one one makes a transfer in excess of Tuition will one have the opportunity of getting a refund when you get there
2. Are you to make the transfer into Admission Office or Student Account?
3. How long did the transfer take.

Thanks

P.S. I know the school is in the best position to answer most of the questions but I want to know incase anyone has faced similar issue

To the best of my knowledge.
1) The school would refund your money.
2) The school would give you the bank details, check with your Intl service or bursary
3) cc fizzle.
But I think all $$ transactions have been put on hold
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by DareFadi(f): 8:39am On Jun 17, 2016
sofadj:

1. If one one makes a transfer in excess of Tuition will one have the opportunity of getting a refund when you get there

Thanks

P.S. I know the school is in the best position to answer most of the questions but I want to know incase anyone has faced similar issue

In the past d money used to be returned to student in form of a check or cheque but nowaday for fraud and all any excess goes back to the way it was sent....so if it orginiated lets say a nigeria bank account , they send it right back there .

So yeah you would need to check with the school directly on their exact policy
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by fizzile(m): 8:46am On Jun 17, 2016
sofadj:

Thanks

Let me try to answer your questions:
1. First, you will have to confirm from your account department of your school if they will be able to grant a refund. Secondly, your bank might not allocate the full forex to you. I applied for 12068pounds but I was allocated just roughly 6500pounds. Probably cos of scarcity in forex. The best way is to split it into bits. Bear in mind that from next week,the rate will no longer be 197 for a dollar. If there is influx of forex,u could stand a chance of getting all your payments allocated.
2. Your school should be able to give u the account details. You will take it along with u to d bank,with a photocopy of your certificate,your admission letter,ur id card and ur BVN number.
3. As for the duration,it varies. As I write,am still expecting telex from the bank confirming payment to the school, but I have been debited long ago. U also need to keep in constant touch with ur bank to know the stage at which ur application is.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Udiboy(f): 8:47am On Jun 17, 2016
Oga justwise removed "ALL" my comments. That's ok. I will move back to my business session whenever I need to exchange.
I was only here to 'help' peeps here so you don't keep running upandan Incase you wanted small $.
I am not a businesswoman.
Good luck everyone.
And be careful with fx dealings.Too many unreal people are out there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Pasadena009: 8:57am On Jun 17, 2016
OluDare01:

Do you live in Pasadena, California?

Used to live there.

(1) (2) (3) ... (144) (145) (146) (147) (148) (149) (150) ... (402)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

Viewing this topic: 2 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.