Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,824 members, 7,810,167 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 10:20 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 - Travel (286) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 (677713 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) ... (402) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LCHR: 4:14am On Jul 15, 2016
My visa was approved Thursday, 6:30 a.m appointment. I was interviewed at Window5, and the interview lasted between 2-3 minutes. It was so quick that people with short attention span wouldn't notice what transpired between the VO and me. The VO at this Window didn't ask his interviewees the generic questions like that. " What is the program requirements, and tell me about the program", were his next statements after greeting you. I noticed other VOs were asking almost the same questions, so I concluded that they had met to come up with this alien questions. The VO denied the guy he interviewed immediately before me because he didn't know the program requirements and couldnt say any a salient thing about the program. He bothered the VO a bit in his repeated attempts to drive home a point. Struggling to redeem his losing battle, the guy incoherence and inconsistencies ironically grew worse, and frustration was all over him. Worse still he was not concealing his disappointment (actions and interjections were too obvious). May God save us from calamities. After he was overwhelmed, he resorted to begging and delaying tactics of asking to repeat a clear and loud question. The VO beckoned to me to step forward after he ultimately told him to reapply for visa whenever he knows his program well. I tarried for a bosses, waiting for the guy to please himself.

VO: GOOD MORNING (encouraging countenance, he just came back from a battle)
ME: GOOD MORNING,SIR
VO: HOW DID YOU ABOUT THE SCHOOL?
ME: internet, I searched for top 100 universities for my program. Another question cut me short.
VO: WHAT'S THE PROGRAM ALL ABOUT?
ME: I will do course work, research work and there is an international exchange program to either China or Switzerland.
VO: WHO IS YOUR SPONSOR?
ME: My father
VO: WHAT DOES HE DO?
ME: He is a structural engineer, has a construction company where he builds caponies for gas and petrol stations( my fairy tale was interrupted)
VO: TAKE THIS........( I don't know the rest because I was inattentive now)

Gratitude to God? Definitely YES.
Gratitude to Nairalanders? YES. The weak and powerful ones, no veterans, novices, wannabes and scammers.

5 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by jatsay001: 4:22am On Jul 15, 2016
US Port of Entry Process, Requirements for F1 Visa Students

http://redbus2us.com/us-port-of-entry-process-requirements-for-f1-visa-students/

One of the biggest myths international students, who are entering US for the first time, have is that if they get F1 visa stamped in their home country, they are all set to enter to USA and study…unfortunately, that is not true…recent instance of deportation of F1 students, who failed to convince the CBP officer at Port of Entry (PoE) is just an example. Our goal in this article is to give a very high level overview on the process, what to expect at PoE and list Port of Entry questions that are very common for F1 visa students entering US to pursue higher education.

Before we get started, let’s familiarize ourselves with some basics.

Does Having a Visa Guarantee Admission to USA ?

Not always. In fact, US Visa will only let you travel to port of entry and then seek permission of CBP officer to allow you to enter US. What US Visa will indicate is that a consular officer at US embassy or consulate in other country has determined that you are eligible for entry, that’s it. The final decision vests with CBP officer. Read What is US Visa from US Dept of State website

What is Port of Entry in USA ?

Port of Entry ( PoE) is nothing but the international airport, seaport or the border check point where you would enter America from international border. Sometimes students flying to smaller cities, arrive at a major city airport and then take a domestic flight. In this case, the first major city airport that you land is called the Port of Entry. If you drive from nearby countries like Mexico or Canada, the border check point would be the port of entry…

Who is CBP Officer ? What is their role ?

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer is the officer at port of entry, who will check your documents, ask you some questions and ensure that you are properly authorized to enter in US. Their role is to ensure physical and economic security of United States. They have a guiding manual on what to do for the best interests of United States. For students, they would typically check your I-20, school info, etc and make sure you are having all correct documents.

What is Primary Inspection Booth ? What to expect here ?

It is the place, where CBP officer will check and interview anyone arriving to enter US. You usually would queue up in a line and there are a bunch of open booths in front of the line, where you will be directed to enter one of the open booths for interview. The CBP Officer would check your documents like I-20, US Visa, Passport, etc and ask you questions like below ( detail questions will be in posted in other article)

What is your purpose of entering USA
What school you are planning to study
How do you support your education

If the CBP officer is convinced with your answers and your documents seem ok for them, they will stamp your passport indicating your US visa status at entry. Usually this last for anywhere from under 5 minutes to 10 minutes at the maximum. If CBP officer is not convicned or not able to verify something, they will send you for secondary inspection.

What is secondary inspection by CBP officer ? What to expect ?

Secondary inspection is something where student is taken for additional screening. It could be for reasons like they are not able to verify your documents, the CBP officer believes that there is some fraud in documents, they may believe that your intention to arrive in US is different, etc. It is more detailed, where you may be asked questions for an hour or even longer depending on the situation. The whole idea is to verify your details without causing interruption to other passengers who are behind you. There is nothing to worry, if you are taken for secondary inspection, if you are genuine and your intentions are correct.

The CBP officer would check your status in SEVIS. If there are some issues or need more info on program or school, they may check with your School’s Designated School officer (DSO). That’s why it is recommended that you carry the Name, Phone number and emergency phone number of your school’s DSO handy. If for some reason, it is just that your documents cannot be verified, SEVI Fee was not paid or reflecting, etc. the CBP officer may deny you entry or at their discretion issue Form I-515A Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor, which allows you to enter US temporarily for 30 days and you need to report to DSO and get your issues sorted out quickly. Read –FAQs on Form I-515A

What documents to carry as F1 student to make your entry smooth at PoE ?

While below is not a comprehensive list, it gives you general set of documents that you must carry. Make sure you do not put them as part of the check-in luggage. It has to be part of your carry on. No excuses allowed at port of entry that my documents are inside luggage, etc. You will only be allowed to pick up your check-in bags after the interview with CBP officer.

Documents Check list at Port of Entry for F1 Students

Valid Passport with enough validity for study in US
For I-20 Signed by DSO
Admission/ Acceptance letters from school.
I-901 SEVIS Fee Payment receipt
Documents proof for your financial support to cover your education.
Originals of Your Undergrad and other Education Certificates
Copy of your past transcripts that were sent to school.
Name and Contact info of DSO at your school
Address of where you will stay in US
Contact info of seniors or anyone, whom you interacted ( Optional)
Any other documents like GRE, TOEFL score reports ( Optional )

That’s about it folks. It is very important as an international student to be aware of the entry procedure at Port of Entry in US to avoid issues. You do NOT have to be in panic, if you are taken for secondary inspection, just stay calm and always tell the truth. It is your job to be fully aware of your school, your program, and other details of your education in US. Be prepared. We will cover the questions in other article for everyone to be prepared.

15 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LCHR: 4:26am On Jul 15, 2016
Addendum:
Know your program requirements now if you were helped by an agent before you face the embassy.
Appologies for some strange words in my sentences, enemies planted them there, so you don't fray your nerves when you encounter the eyesore.
I wont be surprised if this post also suffers the same sickness as the earlier one.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by mevisbleek: 4:30am On Jul 15, 2016
sly96:

Thank you so much for your response, also wanted to find out my chances of securing a scholarship full or partial from any USA university ,and would my age(20)be an issue during d interview.

My brother, I must confess that I have little knowledge about scholarship as I have been out of school for a minute.

Please, contact: Ms. Lagosismyhome. She's pretty patient and would be happy to assist you further. Good luck.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by orobs93(m): 4:53am On Jul 15, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by aadeyi: 5:15am On Jul 15, 2016
@ gunther06 I guess that post has answered your question
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by dickoflife(m): 6:00am On Jul 15, 2016
I once referred darefadi now presently lagosismyhome to this issue that as a student you ought to carry proof of funds in the form of a bank statement just in case. Abeg people carry valid bank statement, the witches in my village dem head valid well I no go leave fate to them. Even if its not asked for their is no harm in being over prepared.
orobs93:
Bross good day pls can you help me with a site where I can get detailed information about USA universities

quote author=jatsay001 post=47552422]US Port of Entry Process, Requirements for F1 Visa Students

http://redbus2us.com/us-port-of-entry-process-requirements-for-f1-visa-students/

One of the biggest myths international students, who are entering US for the first time, have is that if they get F1 visa stamped in their home country, they are all set to enter to USA and study…unfortunately, that is not true…recent instance of deportation of F1 students, who failed to convince the CBP officer at Port of Entry (PoE) is just an example. Our goal in this article is to give a very high level overview on the process, what to expect at PoE and list Port of Entry questions that are very common for F1 visa students entering US to pursue higher education.

Before we get started, let’s familiarize ourselves with some basics.

Does Having a Visa Guarantee Admission to USA ?

Not always. In fact, US Visa will only let you travel to port of entry and then seek permission of CBP officer to allow you to enter US. What US Visa will indicate is that a consular officer at US embassy or consulate in other country has determined that you are eligible for entry, that’s it. The final decision vests with CBP officer. Read What is US Visa from US Dept of State website

What is Port of Entry in USA ?

Port of Entry ( PoE) is nothing but the international airport, seaport or the border check point where you would enter America from international border. Sometimes students flying to smaller cities, arrive at a major city airport and then take a domestic flight. In this case, the first major city airport that you land is called the Port of Entry. If you drive from nearby countries like Mexico or Canada, the border check point would be the port of entry…

Who is CBP Officer ? What is their role ?

Customs and Border Protection (CBP) Officer is the officer at port of entry, who will check your documents, ask you some questions and ensure that you are properly authorized to enter in US. Their role is to ensure physical and economic security of United States. They have a guiding manual on what to do for the best interests of United States. For students, they would typically check your I-20, school info, etc and make sure you are having all correct documents.

What is Primary Inspection Booth ? What to expect here ?

It is the place, where CBP officer will check and interview anyone arriving to enter US. You usually would queue up in a line and there are a bunch of open booths in front of the line, where you will be directed to enter one of the open booths for interview. The CBP Officer would check your documents like I-20, US Visa, Passport, etc and ask you questions like below ( detail questions will be in posted in other article)

What is your purpose of entering USA
What school you are planning to study
How do you support your education

If the CBP officer is convinced with your answers and your documents seem ok for them, they will stamp your passport indicating your US visa status at entry. Usually this last for anywhere from under 5 minutes to 10 minutes at the maximum. If CBP officer is not convicned or not able to verify something, they will send you for secondary inspection.

What is secondary inspection by CBP officer ? What to expect ?

Secondary inspection is something where student is taken for additional screening. It could be for reasons like they are not able to verify your documents, the CBP officer believes that there is some fraud in documents, they may believe that your intention to arrive in US is different, etc. It is more detailed, where you may be asked questions for an hour or even longer depending on the situation. The whole idea is to verify your details without causing interruption to other passengers who are behind you. There is nothing to worry, if you are taken for secondary inspection, if you are genuine and your intentions are correct.

The CBP officer would check your status in SEVIS. If there are some issues or need more info on program or school, they may check with your School’s Designated School officer (DSO). That’s why it is recommended that you carry the Name, Phone number and emergency phone number of your school’s DSO handy. If for some reason, it is just that your documents cannot be verified, SEVI Fee was not paid or reflecting, etc. the CBP officer may deny you entry or at their discretion issue Form I-515A Notice to Student or Exchange Visitor, which allows you to enter US temporarily for 30 days and you need to report to DSO and get your issues sorted out quickly. Read –FAQs on Form I-515A

What documents to carry as F1 student to make your entry smooth at PoE ?

While below is not a comprehensive list, it gives you general set of documents that you must carry. Make sure you do not put them as part of the check-in luggage. It has to be part of your carry on. No excuses allowed at port of entry that my documents are inside luggage, etc. You will only be allowed to pick up your check-in bags after the interview with CBP officer.

Documents Check list at Port of Entry for F1 Students

Valid Passport with enough validity for study in US
For I-20 Signed by DSO
Admission/ Acceptance letters from school.
I-901 SEVIS Fee Payment receipt
Documents proof for your financial support to cover your education.
Originals of Your Undergrad and other Education Certificates
Copy of your past transcripts that were sent to school.
Name and Contact info of DSO at your school
Address of where you will stay in US
Contact info of seniors or anyone, whom you interacted ( Optional)
Any other documents like GRE, TOEFL score reports ( Optional )

That’s about it folks. It is very important as an international student to be aware of the entry procedure at Port of Entry in US to avoid issues. You do NOT have to be in panic, if you are taken for secondary inspection, just stay calm and always tell the truth. It is your job to be fully aware of your school, your program, and other details of your education in US. Be prepared. We will cover the questions in other article for everyone to be prepared.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by ratchy: 6:34am On Jul 15, 2016
Ekofisk:

Thanks. Was this communicated via Email?
yes sir
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by rejoice120(f): 7:32am On Jul 15, 2016
Good morning, am new in this group please I want to know the right visa to enter USA to reside, a friend advice me on B1 visa but I taught f1 visa will be the right one.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 7:34am On Jul 15, 2016
anikemoses:
yea a lot of Indian students were deported that I'm aware of when we resumed last spring ..

Sorry Indians for sterotyping but i am going to do it anyway....... Indians can fake things for Africa (from certificate to document remaining air to breath ) so i am sure over the years there have been built up evidence of fraud with them case file waiting to explode on day. If u think say our people sabi forgery , we are learning babies and them be the master on a quiet side . ..... so me personally think their is as a result of them cup don full dey wait them

That been said as a student who has gone through interview there are certain basic questions to know and if u dont that when the bells start ringing for 2nd inspection and additional information checking . The norm is POE stay should be very short , 1 or 2 questions Basic questions asked if any with little incident and i pray so sha it be for all .

what school you attending , what course , what research, name professor how much is your tuition, who paying. , your accomodation details....your continuing ticket to school city. those are basic questions ..

and all your school documents put them together and haveit ready and handy. Cash and school document should never be in checked bags but in your hand luggage and with u at all times. So no story about not finding it because it developed LEGS.

i agree to be cautious you take the documents listed but It usually not a stressful process at all you are in and out quickly . Except if red flag rings on you( for whatever reason ) ..

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Mma800: 8:25am On Jul 15, 2016
This is the POE info I was given after the interview. I'm just gonna type it the way it is written

Congratulations on being approved for a student visa to United States

A few reminders before you depart:

1. When you arrive in the United States, you will need to show your original I-20 with your international passport at the port of entry, so make sure you have it on your person.

2. You cannot arrive more than 30 days before the program Start Date listed on your I-20
3. You must be in the United States no later than the Program Start Date on your I-20.

Thank you and wish you all the best with your studies.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by BrosBola: 8:37am On Jul 15, 2016
Mma800:
This is the POE info I was given after the interview. I'm just gonna type it the way it is written

Congratulations on being approved for a student visa to United States

A few reminders before you depart:

1. When you arrive in the United States, you will need to show your original I-20 with your international passport at the port of entry, so make sure you have it on your person.

You cannot arrive more than 30 days before the program Start Date listed on your I-20

3. You must be in the United States no later than the Program Start Date on your I-20.

Thank you and wish you all the best with your studies.

No 2 but there is Angelapinketoes who entered way more than 30days so how true is no 2
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by OluDare01(m): 8:40am On Jul 15, 2016
BrosBola:

No 2 but there is Angelapinketoes who entered way more than 30days so how true is no 2

She has a visiting visa grin
You guys should free pinkytoes abeg

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 8:45am On Jul 15, 2016
BrosBola:

Hehehe grin grin u want to discover the HARSH meaning of NL is faceless and anybody can put up anything here. No go waste your ticket and be turned back at POE. Quoting NL no go free u ooo. .....

A word is enough for the wise, please stick to the rules

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by lonelyhrt(f): 8:52am On Jul 15, 2016
How easy will it be to ace through the visa processing for statement of account through a close friend from the same state that lives and works in the States.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by jatsay001: 8:53am On Jul 15, 2016
[quote author=orobs93 post=47552584]Bross good day pls can you help me with a site where I can get detailed information about USA universities

http://university.graduateshotline.com/ubystate.html#.V4iUjxIw_Mw

https://wikis.utexas.edu/display/universities/U.S.+Universities+by+State

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Daodudavid(m): 9:03am On Jul 15, 2016
lonelyhrt:
How easy will it be to ace through the visa processing for statement of account through a close friend from the same state that lives and works in the States.
looking it from the point of view of the VO, you might not get a chance being that your relationship with that person is not very tight compared to a family member, like a brother, sister or father.. so choose wisely..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Nobody: 9:08am On Jul 15, 2016
good day all

someone recently asked about requirements concerning family members accompanying intending students. I'm quite interested in knowing that too.
I intend having my family accompany me to the US for my MS in Mechanical Engineering,but I've not seen a single transcript here with family based interviews.
Does it mean chances of obtaining multiple F1 and F2 visas are slim? or intending married students find it easier to apply alone?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by endowedlee: 9:09am On Jul 15, 2016
gunther6:
I have been reading about all this Indians deported at the POE especially LA and Chicago it got my blood up!!! I'm expecting gurus to come here and give us pointers please.

cc imperiouxx aadeyi warriboy21

Are you talking about last year December deportation ? Or any recent one..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by endowedlee: 9:16am On Jul 15, 2016
anikemoses:
yea a lot of Indian students were deported that I'm aware of when we resumed last spring because most of them gets here with good and reputable institutions but decides to transfer to schools in remote areas that aren't accredited especially a particular school in Cali,I have a couple of my classmates that did such after they couldn't afford their second semester tuition but their greatest undoing was traveling back to India for the Christmas holiday,they were refused entry at the POE..about 180 of them,the ones in my school that succeeded to return back to the states had to make an sos call to the school,as such they were issued a kind of cover letter by the school authority,even at that,the POE officials still asked to see their tuition availability for the new semester before they gained entrance..This was narrated by a classmate of mine when he was asked by an Indian prof during one of our class session..

Chai...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by Daodudavid(m): 9:16am On Jul 15, 2016
OluDare01:

Run for your life.
You can register for this exam with PayPal.
Thanks Mr Oludare, Please can you guide me, by helping me with its link or helping with the site to register...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by peter1994(m): 9:18am On Jul 15, 2016
Good Morning lovely ppl.
I need your advice concerning this.
I intend to write the standardized tests n apply to schools during my NYSC.

I really don't mind going for a Ph.D moreover I'll still be under 29yrs then.

My question now is post graduation: Is it common for Ph.D holders to work in good Industries in the US?
Course: Chem. Engr
My expected GPA 3.6/4
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by endowedlee: 9:21am On Jul 15, 2016
OjaP:

Wow, this is so interesting. What school in California do they all transfer to. I am eager to know.

northwestern polytechnic university

I will send d second one later ..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by endowedlee: 9:24am On Jul 15, 2016
Ekofisk:
It's not mandatory for you to pick up your passport on the third day. DHL holds it for a certain length of time ( a couple of weeks at least...I can't remember the exact duration) before returning the uncollected ones to the consulate.

30days I guess.. He shld check d white paper given to him by d embassy is dia
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:25am On Jul 15, 2016
peter1994:

My question now is post graduation: Is it common for Ph.D holders to work in good Industries in the US? i knw of a guy with Ph.D Chem. Engr from Arkansas who works @ Royal Dutch Shell Louisiana or so, I just want to know if it's a very common thing in the US.

Common with the Top schools or Universities that have research collaboration with companies
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by endowedlee: 9:25am On Jul 15, 2016
Fortissimo:

Congrats mma. Abeg share this PoE info.

Hey bro, how is it going ? Any luck about your PTA?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by peter1994(m): 9:36am On Jul 15, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Common with the Top schools or Universities that have research collaboration with companies
Alright ma, Thanks.

that means I'll have to make enquiries about the schools with such a connection
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 by LagosismyHome(f): 9:41am On Jul 15, 2016
For those who care to read about Indian spotlight.

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/hyderabad/1000-Students-Face-Deportation-from-US/2016/04/08/article3369323.ece
Indian students who joined the University of Northern New Jersey (UNNJ), which was a sting institution set up by US federal authorities to bust the student visa racket, are being deported post haste without being given the chance to join another college, sources in student circles in the US told Express........

See this quote from this link
http://www.happyschools.com/indian-students-deported-blacklisted-universities-usa/
Based on what I have seen, looks like the students were not prepared to come to the USA . They weren’t able to answer the questions asked by CBP Officers about the University .

http://www.newindianexpress.com/cities/hyderabad/More-US-bound-Indian-Students-Deported/2015/12/25/article3195009.ece

1 Like 1 Share

(1) (2) (3) ... (283) (284) (285) (286) (287) (288) (289) ... (402)

Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy. / Giving Birth In Canada / Canadian Student Visa Thread Part 19

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.