Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,429 members, 7,812,270 topics. Date: Monday, 29 April 2024 at 10:58 AM

Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks (24493 Views)

"Do Not Revenge Herdsmen Attacks" - Buhari Appeals To Victims Of Attacks / Power Outage: Residents Take To The Street To Protest With Generators On Heads / This Is What Uzouwani Looks Like Now After #Fulani/Govt. Invasion (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by comos: 1:05pm On May 23, 2016
Blessing Joseph lies on a sofa, her eyes fixed on the butt of a rifle that she says she won’t hesitate to use if Fulani herdsmen come back to her remote village in central Nigeria.

The 19-year-old student isn’t the only one. Teenagers and even young boys carry machetes and daggers in villages in the Agatu area of Benue state.

“My father told me not to go out without holding a cutlass with which I can defend myself if attacked,” David Inalegwu, a nine-year-old primary school pupil, told AFP.

As Blessing watches, youths pass around a jerrycan of local gin, discussing a spate of attacks in February blamed on heavily armed Fulani herdsmen from neighbouring Nasarawa state.

Community leader James Ochoche Edoh said more than 20 Agatu villages were affected near the river Benue that forms the border with Nasarawa.

“Approximately 500 people or more could have been killed,” he claimed, in an unverified figure repeated by the former leader of Nigeria’s Senate, David Mark, who represents the district.

“The recent attacks took us by surprise,” said Edoh in the main Agatu town of Obagaji. “Families have been separated or killed.”

– ‘No just cause’ –

Violence blamed on Fulani herdsmen has given Nigeria’s government another security headache in addition to Boko Haram Islamists in the northeast and militants in the oil-producing south.

The worst affected villages in February’s attacks were Okokolo, Adagbo, Akwu, Aila and Odugbeho. Residents told AFP nearly 50 people were killed and more than 1,000 properties ransacked or razed.

“The Fulanis killed our kinsmen, burnt or destroyed 327 of our houses in this village and for no just cause,” said Christopher Onah, the chief of Okokolo.

Onah picked up spent cartridges from the ground and showed the damage to his rice and yam barns, a motorcycle and generator. His home was ransacked, as were the churches, mosque and schools.

“There’s nothing left for us again after the the attack,” said Anyebe Peter, a farmer in Adagbo, where seven people were killed and 250 houses were burnt down.

In Akwu, 30 people died and more than 600 houses were destroyed as well as a medical clinic.

Peter, whose 27-year-old son was shot and is still in hospital, said locals face food shortages.

Despite the presence of troops, residents said they were still afraid.

“Soldiers told us to leave our homes and gather in one place for better protection. So, now we sleep in the Catholic church,” said Onah.

– Revenge attack –

According to the Global Terrorism Index 2015, “Fulani militants” killed 1,229 people in 2014, up from 63 the previous year, making them “the fourth most deadly terrorist group” in the world.

Boko Haram, whose insurgency has left at least 20,000 people dead since 2009, heads the list, followed by the Islamic State group and the Taliban.

But attacks blamed on Fulani, driven more by a need for increasingly scarce resources such as land and water rather than radical ideology, are not a new phenomenon.

There have been frequent clashes between the semi-nomadic people and sedentary farmers because cattle have strayed onto land planted with crops.

A total of 847 deaths were recorded in five states, including Benue, in the religiously mixed “Middle Belt”, where Nigeria’s mainly Muslim north meets the largely Christian south.

With Fulani Muslim and farmers mostly Christian, religion adds an extra dimension to longstanding ethnic tensions and mutual suspicion.

Edoh said February’s attacks appeared to be in revenge for the death of a Fulani leader and the theft of his cattle, which was blamed on the mainly Christian Agatu.

– Grazing reserves –

Police in Benue say Agatu has now returned to “relative calm”, while President Muhammadu Buhari, himself an ethnic Fulani, has belatedly ordered a crackdown on raiders.

“The government will not allow these attacks to continue,” Buhari said in late April, ordering security forces to “secure all communities under attack by herdsmen”.

Agriculture Minister Audu Ogbeh said “the ultimate solution to the Fulani farmers frequent clashes will be to establish grazing reserves for the herdsmen”.

But the main umbrella body of Fulani herdsmen’s groups has accused Benue state of opposing the proposal.

The national secretary of the Gan Allah Fulani Development Association, Saleh Bayeri, did not deny the Agatu killings were to avenge the 2013 deaths of some leaders and their families.

“Fulanis do not forgive such killings. The problem we have now is that the Fulani are being vilified, provoked, attacked and killed and when they retaliate they are accused of terrorism,” he said.

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2016/05/643644/
Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by menstrualpad: 1:15pm On May 23, 2016
Great development.

44 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Ezemust: 2:00pm On May 23, 2016
shoot any flank on sight

43 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by ckmayoca: 2:13pm On May 23, 2016
Keep waiting for police and army to defend u. We dey end time Nigeria oh.

57 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Abeymills(m): 2:15pm On May 23, 2016
Pls kill Dem all those basterd

30 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by MizMyColi(f): 3:31pm On May 23, 2016
Good.
I like this.

Since those who are meant to protect them now seek permission from the presidency before carrying out their oath to protect lives and property.

This is what you get when you shove people to the wall and they're pinned there with no where to turn.
Now it is kill or be killed.

45 Likes 5 Shares

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by MakeWeTalk: 3:31pm On May 23, 2016
[size=14pt]Amen, finally we will start stand up to the Mobile Version of Boko Haram the fulani Herdsmen.

Well let the fulani herdsmen & Buhari know that[/size]

33 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Integrityfarms(m): 3:31pm On May 23, 2016
Agatu youths and Benue in general really seem so docile o!

2 Likes

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Jamiubond009(m): 3:32pm On May 23, 2016
BUHARI'S MAY 29TH SPEECH LEAKED!!!! Your seselency, Aisha Bureau De Change, the pest lady, oh! Sorry the wife of the fresident of the pedral lipublik of Naijeria,. Your seselency, fropessuar Yemi Osibande, the pice fresident of the pedral lipublik of Naijeria. Your seselencies, the Senate fresident and the sfeeker of the house of refresensesiv. Your seselency, John Oyegun, the national chairman of our great farty, the All Frogressive Confidence. (A Fee Cee). You seselency, the chairman of Independent Naijeria Electoral Cuomisun. Not porgeting our sfecial guest of honor, fresident Michele of West Germany. Members of the fress. Pellow Naijerians. Walahi talahi if I must conpess, it is not easy to gubern a kuontri like Naijeria because our fifu are criminals and berry kwarupt, no wunder my preind, the frime minister of UK said we are pantasticaly kwarupt. And I totally agree with him though I don't agree with UK Daily Mail newsfafer that said the pormer gubernor of Livers State who is now my minister por transfort is pantasticaly kwarupt. The money Amaechi injected into my camfein was gotten prom his savings. Waka shege damburuba to Tyrano Tsunami and his gang por Pesvook and Twitter that are saying that I am not paiting kwaruption. If I catch them eh, sorry would be their middle name. Boko Haram terrorists are still bombing though, but they have been depeated tekinicaly because we have granted them amnesty. Any Boko Haram you see still bombing today are not Nijerians but Chadians. If you are prom the North and you have any bruder that looks like a Boko Haram member, just bring him and we will grant him amnesty. Flease you fifu should stop accusing Pulani herdsmen of killings because those fifu are not Pulani fifu but Libyans. Pulani fifu are feacepul fifu. Chibok Girls! Yoowaa, this is my highest achievement por the fast one year in oppice. We have rescued two of the Chibok girls that were kidnapped in their hotels. Though there is confroversy surrounding their rescue because the pest girl has so many conplicting names and cannot speak English. And madam Oby Ezekwesili of BBOG has said that the second girl's name is not pound on the oliginal list. I don't know if she is saying that because I repused to give her pedral appointment. But whether they are Chibok girls or not, the most imfortant thing is that there was a rescue. Shikena! Lung live the pedral guberment of Naijeria

72 Likes 17 Shares

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by teaseryoh: 3:32pm On May 23, 2016
Shoot dem all

9 Likes

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by soleexx(m): 3:32pm On May 23, 2016
Make naija legalize weapon like our bros America

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Nairadays: 3:32pm On May 23, 2016
Way to go.

The poster above me spoke about legalising gun ownership like the US, in this context that's the only foreseeable solution.

Government forces cannot be at every nook and cranny of this country every time.

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Pavore9: 3:32pm On May 23, 2016
No one has a monopoly of violence.

17 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by AceRoyal: 3:33pm On May 23, 2016
SO THEY HAVE FINALLY WOKEN UP!
PEOPLE OF AGATU GOOD MORNING! tongue

South-south,South-east,North-east,North-central and parts of South-west all on a collision course with Violence.

AN SO IT HAS BEGAN..............

15 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by 15Projects: 3:33pm On May 23, 2016
good

1 Like

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by csamii: 3:33pm On May 23, 2016
In Denzel Washington's voice "Ma Niggas"

11 Likes

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by oduastates: 3:34pm On May 23, 2016
Just common sense.
If the state refuses to protect your lives and properties, you have to do it yourself.

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by AngelAhnie(f): 3:34pm On May 23, 2016
Good one

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Daslim180(m): 3:34pm On May 23, 2016
Strike Back!!!

2 Likes

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by DANILSA(m): 3:34pm On May 23, 2016
Agatu pics up arms, Abia resuscitates Bakassi, Ekiti promises reprisal, Avengers attack. Etc. I hope we will not all get drowned one day.

5 Likes

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Goahead(m): 3:34pm On May 23, 2016
Long overdue

9 Likes

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by deebrain(m): 3:34pm On May 23, 2016
Pending when this govt decides to be responsible and actually value human life (im even suprised im adding that a supposed govt made up of human beings, should value human life), this development is hundred and fifty percent encouraged.

6 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Nobody: 3:35pm On May 23, 2016
A Nation on the brink of self determination. So help us God

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Akinz0126(m): 3:35pm On May 23, 2016
The battle line has been drawn.

NO MONEY

NO FOOD
NO JOB
NO Electricity
Yet we kept MUM and Now They've started killing Us and
They still expect Us to Keep MUM

Its now the case of Kill or get killed in Nigeria

From dawn to dusk

How did we end up in this miserable state?Everything has now becomes unbearable

In Dagrin Voice"Is this Democracy or Crazy-Demo". We now became strangers in our own Land.

Did they still expect us to keep MUM?Sha na lyk dis we go dey dey?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Nawa4nl: 3:35pm On May 23, 2016
soleexx:
Make naija legalize weapon like our bros America

It appears to be legal only for the fulani hardsmen.

Remember that when Anambra farmers fought back that the Army arrested the farmers defending themselves
and left the fulani herdmen to continue their jihad.

Yes only fulani herdsmen are permitted to carry guns. angry angry angry

14 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by UncleDeeee(m): 3:35pm On May 23, 2016
It is quite unfortunate citizens have to result to self help simply because the authorities are more interested in politics than performing their duties. What can I say? God help us all

5 Likes

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by eyeview: 3:35pm On May 23, 2016
Fulanis fear direct confrontation. They are cowards. Their strength is in attacking innocent people in their sleep at night.
I urge the agatu people and every other place whom these holigans have attacked(while the president 'works silently') to shoot any fulani that attacks them again.
...And if Fulani Buhari stands in their way while shooting,they should shoot him too

15 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by nwaimoroseyaho: 3:36pm On May 23, 2016
dats rite. Use everything at your disposal to fight the enemy.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Patrickker(m): 3:37pm On May 23, 2016
Trust Buhari, he will unleash the Nigerian Military against Agutu people now.

7 Likes

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by saintfaculty(m): 3:38pm On May 23, 2016
grin
Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by enny09: 3:39pm On May 23, 2016
the governor of the state should just follow governor fayose of ekiti state footstep and the rest will be history, for God sake we are not living in 20BC where you can just move cattle anywhere you like, in a sane society cattle should be placed in ranches.

8 Likes 1 Share

Re: Agatu Residents Take Up Arms After Fulani Herdsmen Attacks by Originality007: 3:39pm On May 23, 2016
b

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

SSANU: FG Betrayed Our Trust On IPPIS / Ovie Omo-Agege Declares Intention To Run For Governor Of Delta State / EFCC Boss Magu Blasts Lawyers Defending Looters

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.