Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,855 members, 7,956,220 topics. Date: Monday, 23 September 2024 at 08:01 AM

Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology - Family (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Family / Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology (5610 Views)

Man Batters Wife For Not Swearing To Juju Over Infidelity (Photos) / Man Batters His Wife Of 10 Years In Port-Harcourt. PICS / Man Batters Wife Over Sex For More Children (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by PresVA: 10:43am On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY:

The responses on this thread! grin grin

Now this is exactly the sort of scenario I had in mind regarding stay at home mothers in Naija, 100% reliant on the man who go cap in hand begging for handouts while waiting meekly (and patiently) for him as he reluctantly counts the pennies / kobos for her to buy her sanitary pads.

Cc: Edwife. Kimoni. Byvan03. Mindfulness.

Your views pls.
Lol, funny.... how you get treated as a housewife isn't dependent on where you live... depends on the kinda husband you have....
Also depends on the value the woman places on herself, that you're a housewife doesn't mean you shouldn't have plans for your life...
People become (temporary) 'housewives' for many reasons. .

Anyone can be ill-treated irrespective of location. ..

2 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Kimoni: 10:49am On May 28, 2016
quivah:
This cute hector is just too dumb for my liking, and even worse he tries to act smart and that makes him more dumb!
Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by edwife(f): 11:01am On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY:

There aren't any generalizations within my post Eds. I've categorically stated (in the previous thread you're referring to), that I see how it can and can't work from both ends of the spectrum. (i.e stay at home vs working mums, within or outside Naija, with either a supporting/understanding husband or a with a man with contrary views). This example completely fits in with the classical example of a stay at home mum in Naija with a man who is non-supportive.

Then what are we doing here? How many women in Nigeria are married to men that are non-supportive? undecided I wasn't talking about those, was I? When i talk about marriage,housewife i talk about a normal couple,not a problematic one.

The 1st and 2nd points you make are contradictory to your follow on text. You start of by saying not many women in Nigeria are stay at home mothers by choice, yet you go on to mention that not everyone is cut out for a white collar job? If a woman isn't a stay at home mum by choice, it means that she wants to work, yes? And wouldn't stop searching till she gets what she wants, irrespective of the type of job she lands herself with, as long as it pays, abi? So why make the distinction between white collar jobs and non-white collar jobs? Of what relevance is that to a stay at home mum wanting to get back into employment?

Yes not many women are stay at home by choice, lack of jobs is the major factor in most cases.
I didn't say not everyone is cut out for white collar job, most of the excuses people give is that after staying home for long who is going to employ you? And majority of graduates in Nigeria think that the only job they can do is office job because of the certificate they hold.That is why i said, it doesn't have to be a white collar job, anything is acceptable.Please read my discussions with byvan .

Really?

But you also said this:

So how do you know it wasn't a joint decision initially made and agreed upon, by both of them, for her to stay at home and tend to the kids? Additionally, how can you be sure that just because the oldest is 13 years (don't know where you got that from), that the younger ones aren't of primary school age? Or that her last child might even be a toddler? Just because she's been married for 14 years doesn't automatically imply that they started having kids immediately they tied the knot. For all we know, the couple could have been late starters with very young kids in tow right now - and if that's the case, then going by your earlier assertion, there's nothing wrong with her wanting to be at home looking after the little ones till they are of secondary school age, yes? So why call her a dummy then? undecided undecided

This is where i got this from; i read very well before commenting.
from one quarrel to the other until a week ago he abused her physically to the point that her left eye was shut and watery. stripped her Unclad in the compound in front of her 13yr old son.

So if the couple were late starters with young kids, how do you know if she wasn't working before that? What was she a housewife for? And nope, i didn't say a woman should stay home till the kids are of secondary school age, stop putting words in my mouth, i said of school age and when i said of school age, it means nursery.Go back to my conversation with byvan again.

Well, this lady obviously does and has been doing so for the last 14 years.

How do you know? Do you know if she has been saving? undecided Did she tell you that? The fact that she's putting up with friends or wanting to come back to her lunatic husband doesn't mean that she doesn't have anything to her name, after all the banker that just died, wasn't she working? undecided

Really? Never heard of these "housewife levels".
Then hear it now, housewife gets levels. A woman married to a millionaire is different to a woman married to a 18k salary guy. A woman who receive 50k to 200k allowance is very different to the one who receives 10k. This is the level.

And for every Adaeze Yobo, how many thousands of destitute housewives are out there, forced into a life of destitution by the choice to park their education and brains aside?

You started generalising and i gave you an example.Who forced them? And how their decision to remain in destitution the problem of housewives in general? In my post, i said as long as it is their decisions or joint decision not forced.

Don't personalize it. Stick to the topic pls. This isn't about you, your friends, or the choices you made, neither is anyone on here judging your decision. I asked for your opinion of this story and nothing else.

I had to personalised because you generalised.You asked for my opinion on this story based on my previous post which you brought your sanitary towels theory otherwise byvan wouldn't have post this:
byvan03:

Edwife is right oo, I didn't beg, not when am the accountant general. I think she is married to a stingy man and failed to use her brain. I also don't believe she knows anything about the course she studied, maybe she didn't even graduate. Some beg cap in hand but many run that department so no need to beg.
Some women never worked in their life but do much to show for not working, why many work but could barely buy a decent pair of shoes. It truly depends on the dynamics of the marriage. This woman is married to a mad man, she should know better.

How so?

You're only saying this now after 14 years of an unhappy marriage with nothing to show for. Would you still have held the same opinion if this lady was in her first 5 years of marriage?

Yes i would have, didn't you say unhappy marriage? Will we have been here if she was in a happy marriage?

I'm lost.

Did I miss something in the story that alludes to this lady not working because she wasn't able to think about anything else other then securing a white collar job? What's your fixation with women in "white collar jobs"?

Don't be lost, I was only giving a scenario here which is more common among graduates, who believe they can't do any other thing except work for what they have studied or in a specific field, just like you alluded she must have been begging her husband for sanitary towel for 14 years. undecided

Now you're going directly against what you've been preaching:

Why're you judging this woman now?

You called me to give my opinion, i didn't go straight to her and say why are you staying at home for 14 years? I didn't judge her for being a housewife but for what she wants to do by bringing the little girl in order for her to save her marriage.

And you think after 14 years she still doesn't know whom she married? grin grin

Then she is enjoying it and i wasn't referring to her 14 years old marriage but the fact that she was a housewife to a stingy man who according to you was forced to beg for sanitary towel.In my previous post to you i stated this:

When a woman is married to a man who is selfish and unbothered,i don't see why a woman like this will even consider staying at home,honestly.It is all about contentment. You don't even have to beg for sanitary towel if you are in a fulfilled marriage.

Tut, tut.

Now you diss the Nigerian educational system. A bit generalistic, no?

And let me get a little bit personal here. I'm a Nigerian graduate and I know how to write a job application letter, plus I believe I know quite a lot about what I studied back there.

Well i said this because many were emphasising about her being a graduate and in Nigeria, not all graduates are really graduates and for the record i said some, i didn't generalised unlike you who generalised that all housewives in Nigeria beg for sanitary towels.

3 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by EfemenaXY: 11:02am On May 28, 2016
PresVA:
Lol, funny.... how you get treated as a housewife isn't dependent on where you live... depends on the kinda husband you have....
Also depends on the value the woman places on herself, that you're a housewife doesn't mean you shouldn't have plans for your life...

Agreed.

And that's why a plan B should always be in place. A safety net. There's no harm in a woman looking out for herself and her kids, should the unimaginable happen.

People change. Life happens.

2 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by edwife(f): 11:09am On May 28, 2016
PresVA:

Thank you!

4 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by PresVA: 11:16am On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Agreed.

And that's why a plan B should always be in place. A safety net. There's no harm in a woman looking out for herself and her kids, should the unimaginable happen.

Yeah. . A plan B is very much advisable. ..
Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Kimoni: 11:39am On May 28, 2016
Efemenaxy, why are you pushing edwife's buttons naa angry lol

Back to the story, I think the problem has to do more with this woman's character and less of the fact that she is a stay at home mum although being a SAHM may have contributed to her inherent weakness. Like the husband rightly said, she was the type that never talked back, or took any decisions in the home, so why is she starting now? Hence, he would rather nip things in the bud than allow matters to get out of hand. And I am sure there are several working women out there who also run their marriage like this. They have no input on how the home is run. The husband dictates everything in the home, including how her income is spent; her income does nothing to empower her, it empowers the husband more instead. It's a slave-master type of relationship.

So my advice to women is not to start what they can't finish. Don't be a dummy wife in the beginning and hope to be independent later. It will most likely not work. I know a lot of SAHMs whose husbands will not sleep at home for months if they dare to impregnate the maid. For the OP's friend, the husband has already sent her packing, so she might as well dust her certificate and horn her skills. It's never too late to take back control of one's life. But if she wants to continue being the dummy wife, she should apologize and bring home a more beautiful maid for the husband. I guess the old maid has run her course in the house.

Lastly, like mindfulness said, it's always better that a woman works and earns her own money, at least on the long term. Or have some sort of fall-back plan such as savings, insurance etc The question we should all ask ourselves as women is - if anything happens to my husband's income today, can I single-handedly maintain the living standards we are presently enjoying for a period of time or do I resort to begging almost immediately? Women should always think about tomorrow when making some of these decisions/sacrifices in the home.

5 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by EfemenaXY: 11:46am On May 28, 2016
edwife:

Then what are we doing here? How many women in Nigeria are married to man with non-supportive view? undecided

Let's answer your question with a question:

How many threads do we have opened here about women in happy marriages with supportive husbands, versus women in unhappy marriages with unsupportive husbands?

edwife:
Yes not many women are stay at home by choice, lack of jobs is the major factor in most cases.
I didn't say not everyone is cut out for white collar job, most of the excuses people give is that after staying home for long who is going to employ you? And majority of graduate in Nigeria think that the only job they can do is office job because of the certificate they hold. That is why i said, it doesn't have to be a white collar job, anything is acceptable.Go back to my discussions with byvan.

No, I won't go back to your discussions with Byvan03. I don't have to. A lot of threads opened by women looking for work aren't based on "white collar jobs" only. Come to think of it, I've never seen anyone male or female for that matter saying, "I graduated from xyz with ABC qualifications and will only do ABC type of work." Since you strongly believe that such people think along these lines, can you provide me with a few links to such threads on NL? Additionally, there's hardly any thread that hasn't got people advising those looking for employment to take up anything including the famous, "set up a shop" or "run your small business from home". So I ask again where you get your assumptions from?

edwife:
So if the couple were late starters with young kids, how do you know if she wasn't working before that? What was she a housewife for? And nope, i didn't say a woman should stay home till the kids are of secondary school age, stop putting words on my mouth, i said of school age and when i said of school age, it means nursery.Go back to my conversations with byvan again.

The story is about her life post marriage, not pre-marriage. Assuming she was working prior to getting married, her circumstances were obviously different - but what's your point though? What's her pre-married life got to do with her situation post marriage? lipsrsealed

edwife:
How do you know? Do you know if she has been saving? undecided Did she tell you that? The fact that she's putting up with friends or wanting to come back to her lunatic husband doesn't mean that she doesn't have anything to her name, after all the banker that just died, wasn't she working? undecided

And what makes you think she's saved a kobo to her name? Okay, let's assume she's got some savings. Why then would she want to go back there after being beaten up with a damaged eye to show for? Hasn't what she's saved enough to sustain her and her four kids, get herself some sort of accommodation, with some leftover to start up a business / search for work?

edwife:
Then hear it now, housewife gets levels. A woman married to a millionaire is different to a woman married to a 18k salary guy. A woman who receive 100 to 200k allowance is very different to the one who receives 10k. This is the level.

And what's the ratio of millionaire housewives receiving 100 - 200k allowance to those married to 18k men receiving 10k allowance? Is the ratio disproportionate or grossly disproportionate in a country like Nigeria, on the edge of a recession? Tell me. grin grin

edwife:
You started generalising and i gave you an example.Who forced them? And how their decision to remain in destitution the problem of housewife in general? In my post, i said as long as it is their decision or joint decision not forced.

Just because you think I generalized doesn't mean that's true. I argued for both sides and I've said countless times I've seen the pros and cons. This is just one of the scenarios and yes, I believe this woman has got absolutely nothing to her name after 14 years of marriage with nothing (apart from her kids) to show for. You know it too, hence your calling her "dummy, senseless, etc". Abi?

edwife:
I had to personalised because you generalised.You asked for my opinion on this story based on my previous post which you brought your sanitary towels theory otherwise byvan wouldn't have post this:

Why does the sanitary towels bit seem to get to you so much? Would it have made any difference if I said such women go cap in hand, begging for soup money and pocket money? Does it matter which specific item they ask for? The underlying principle is the same, which is, since they don't earn, they are 100% reliant on the man for EVERYTHING. Begging for weaveon money doesn't make it anymore dignifying than begging for money to purchase sanitary towels. Begging is begging, irrespective of what is begged for.

edwife:
Yes i would have, didn't you say unhappy marriage? Will we have been here if she was in a happy marriage?

Do you by any chance, think her not working could be one of the causes of her being unhappy in that marriage?

edwife:
Don't be lost, I was only giving a scenario here which is more common among graduates, who believe they can't do any other thing except work for what they have studied, just like you alluded she must have been begging her husband for sanitary towel for 14 years. undecided

Redundant points, both of which have already been addressed. Reiterating what's been said doesn't add weight to the argument.

edwife:
You called me to give my opinion, i didn't go straight to her and say why are you staying at home for 14 years? I din't judge her for being a housewife, for what she wants to do by bringing the little girl in order for her to save her marriage.

No? Then why call her unprintable names like "senseless", "dummy", cast asperations on her educational background / qualifications?

And more importantly, why d'you think she's going to such desperate measures to save her marriage? Especially if she's got a safety net / nest egg?

edwife:
Then she is enjoying it and i wasn't referring to her 14 years old marriage but the fact that she was a housewife to a stingy man who according to you was forced to beg for sanitary towel.

She's forced to beg for everything! She's got zero income and fully reliant on the man. She can't even raise her voice.

edwife:
Well i said this because many were emphasising about her being a graduate, and in Nigeria, not all graduate are really graduate and for the record i said some, i didn't generalised unlike you who generalised that all housewives in Nigeria beg for sanitary towels.

Really?

Prove it.

2 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Nobody: 11:48am On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY:

1000+ Likes!

You couldn't have said it any better. kiss kiss kiss

smiley kiss smiley kiss

1 Like

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Nobody: 11:49am On May 28, 2016
Kimoni:

Back to the story, I think the problem has to do more with this woman's character and less of the fact that she is a stay at home mum although being a SAHM may have contributed to her inherent weakness. Like the husband rightly said, she was the type that never talked back, or took any decisions in the home, so why is she starting now? Hence, he would rather nip things in the bud than allow matters to get out of hand. And I am sure there are several working women out there who also run their marriage like this. They have no input on how the home is run. The husband dictates everything in the home, including how her income is spent; her income does nothing to empower her, it empowers the husband more instead. It's a slave-master type of relationship.

So my advice to women is not to start what they can't finish. Don't be a dummy wife in the beginning and hope to be independent later. It will most likely not work. I know a lot of SAHMs whose husbands will not sleep at home for months if they dare to impregnate the maid. For the OP's friend, the husband has already sent her packing, so she might as well dust her certificate and horn her skills. It's never too late to take back control of one's life. But if she wants to continue being the dummy wife, she should apologize and bring home a more beautiful maid for the husband. I guess the old maid has run her course in the house.

Lastly, like mindfulness said, it's always better that a woman works and earns her own money, at least on the long term. Or have some sort of fall-back plan such as savings, insurance etc The question we should all ask ourselves as women is - if anything happens to my husband's income today, can I single-handedly maintain the living standards we are presently enjoying for a period of time or do I resort to begging almost immediately? Women should always think about tomorrow when making some of these decisions/sacrifices in the home.

You have perfectly explained my position. Thanks.

1 Like

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by TheArchangel(f): 11:50am On May 28, 2016
The thesis writers are here.

How do you people manage to write all this long epistles?

Damn.

10 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by EfemenaXY: 11:52am On May 28, 2016
Kimoni:

Again, several Likes for this.

You totally get my angle.

Infact, I agree with your post.

And yes, I intend to push Ed's buttons today. It's been a looooooong while coming. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue

2 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Kimoni: 12:02pm On May 28, 2016
https://www.nairaland.com/3131757/corpse-roseline-sougie-killed-husband

Efemenaxy, have you seen this story on front page?

She was the breadwinner o yet she allowed herself to be subjected to abuse over and over again till she met her death cry A a lot women don't have that mental strength to get up and act.

1 Like

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by EfemenaXY: 12:10pm On May 28, 2016
Kimoni:

She was the breadwinner o yet she allowed herself to be subjected to abuse over and over again till she met her death cry A a lot women don't have that mental strength to get up and act.

Yes, I've just read it.

And the story also says she was dissuaded by family members from divorcing him 2 years ago. So yes, another "righteous" but dead Mrs.

1 Like

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Nobody: 12:13pm On May 28, 2016
Kimoni:

Thanks to statements such as:

'God hates divorce.'

'Nobody will want you anymore.'

'Your children will suffer if you divorce their father.'

'A woman without a husband cannot be fulfilled and will cry herself to sleep at night.'

Nonsense!

4 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Kimoni: 12:13pm On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY:

And yes, I intend to push Ed's buttons today. It's been a looooooong while coming. lipsrsealed lipsrsealed tongue

grin grin Your love for Edwife no be today naa, I know that already

@edwife, lucky you. I wish I had someone who loves me this much
Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by cococandy(f): 12:13pm On May 28, 2016
Cutehector:
not in my dictionary.. the innocent has ta be freed from the criminal!
freed by more abuse?

I'm honestly not getting the logic behind it.
But it's alright. Let's agree to disagree.
Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by cococandy(f): 12:25pm On May 28, 2016
Is it that bad? embarassed I guess I was just pissed at her.

EfemenaXY:

cheesy

4 kids, 1 eye, prayer key....LMAO!!!

cheesy cheesy

Chei! cheesy cheesy cheesy

1 Like

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by EfemenaXY: 12:25pm On May 28, 2016
Mindfulness:

'God hates divorce.'

Mtcheew!

Mindfulness:

Mtcheew!! Mtcheew!!

Mindfulness:

Mtcheew!!! Mtcheew!!! Mtcheew!!!

Like they aren't suffering now she's six feet under?

Mindfulness:
'A woman without a husband cannot be fulfilled and will cry herself to sleep at night.'

Nonsense!

grin grin grin

I would personally give him transportation money and a one-way ticket to take his sorry @rse far, far, away.

Like seriously? cheesy cheesy

2 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by EfemenaXY: 12:26pm On May 28, 2016
Kimoni:

cheesy cheesy cool
Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Nobody: 12:28pm On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY:

I believe that Edwife is right when she says that stay at home mothers need to be shown more respect. In fact, it is annoying that women have to justify their decisions all the time, whether they stay at home or decide to pursue their careers BUT what we shouldn't encourage is for women to bring children into this world without knowing how to take care of them in the case that anything doesn't go as planned. Now Edwife is located in a country that has established a support system for people in need. This is non-existent in Nigeria and yet women decide to have plenty children, of which many suffer because their own parents are not able to take care of them.

Edwife, if anything had gone wrong in your family (God forbid), you would have at least be granted minimal support that would ensure your survival and that of your children. It is a different story for women in Nigeria. For the sake of all unborn and born children, let us not encourage people to have children before they have established a safety net that they can fall back on if problems show up.

Poverty is at the heart of this society's problems. Even in the West a middle-class family father is not able to ensure a good living standard for a family with four children so most mothers resume work as soon as possible. Either have fewer kids or make more money. Most people are not part of the upper class and cannot afford it to have only person making money.

There is nothing idealistic about it, it is all about calculus and pragmatism.

3 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Kimoni: 12:29pm On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Yes, I've just read it.

And the story also says she was dissuaded by family members from divorcing him 2 years ago. So yes, another "righteous" but dead Mrs.

Mindfulness:

'God hates divorce.'

Nonsense!

Lol...but God hates divorce naa, His wish is for us all to have a happy union but...

External parties need to stop forcing couples to stay in relationships because we didn't force them together. If a woman says she needs to leave because of what she has endured in the marriage, then let her leave and if she says she isn't tired of the marriage cuz she still loves the man and believes he will change, then by all means, stay.

Nobody should be forced to stay beyond their breaking point. The story says she didn't even scream when the violence was going on, she had probably lost it and was just waiting for the man to do his worst. And he did just that. Sad!
Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Nobody: 12:34pm On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Mtcheew!

Mtcheew!! Mtcheew!!

Mtcheew!!! Mtcheew!!! Mtcheew!!!

Like they aren't suffering now she's six feet under?

Nonsense!

grin grin grin

I would personally give him transportation money and a one-way ticket to take his sorry @rse far, far, away.

Like seriously? cheesy cheesy

I would never allow that my children grow up in a environment that resembles a war zone. What's the value in it? This is so sick!
Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by marbee(f): 12:34pm On May 28, 2016
There should always be a plan B, life is unpredictable, if you can work,have a business, handwork and so on ....do it,provided it generate money.

I can't wait for my husband to provide all my need,I will feel better if I can provide some by myself smiley

2 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by marbee(f): 12:40pm On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Agreed.

This is the best way to put it. smiley
Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by Nobody: 12:44pm On May 28, 2016
Kimoni:

Lol...but God hates divorce naa, His wish is for us all to have a happy union but...

This is what the Bible tells you. I don't share this belief. How can God hate anything? And how can God hate divorce so much that he would tell his beloved children to remain in a harmful marriage? Would you tell your child to endure severe abuse and risk his or her life in the name of marriage? Why would God who is like a loving father? Can a marriage be more important than the life and well-being of your child?

I am not a Christian so there is no need for us to discuss the image that the Bible paints of God, which in my view is not only illogical but bogus. I don't believe in a God of hatred. But this is a topic for the religion section.

External parties need to stop forcing couples to stay in relationships because we didn't force them together. If a woman says she needs to leave because of what she has endured in the marriage, then let her leave and if she says she isn't tired of the marriage cuz she still loves the man and believes he will change, then by all means, stay.

I agree but I would take it a step further. Every human being should understand that nothing is more important than their happiness. And this is the only way for people to have happy marriages. Unhappy people can't have happy families. It is mutually exclusive.

Nobody should be forced to stay beyond their breaking point. The story says she didn't even scream when the violence was going on, she had probably lost it and was just waiting for the man to do his worst. And he did just that. Sad!

It perfectly supports the message that I have been trying to pass across on this forum and elsewhere. If it doesn't feel good, it isn't good.
For a family to be happy, all people involved must be happy. If anyone suffers, the whole family suffers. This is why I will ALWAYS put more emphasis on each individual than on the collective because the collective consists of individuals. If one party is sick, the collective is infected with a virus that will infect the rest.

2 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by edwife(f): 12:56pm On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY
Let's answer your question with a question:
How many threads do we have opened here about women in happy marriages with supportive husbands, versus women in unhappy marriages with unsupportive husbands?

Bad news sells better, besides efe serioulsly, you are comparing Nairaland to the millions of Nigerians out there? cheesy

No, I won't go back to your discussions with Byvan03. I don't have to. A lot of threads opened by women looking for work aren't based on "white collar jobs" only. Come to think of it, I've never seen anyone male or female for that matter saying, "I graduated from xyz with ABC qualifications and will only do ABC type of work." Since you strongly believe that such people think along these lines, can you provide me with a few links to such threads on NL? Additionally, there's hardly any thread that hasn't got people advising those looking for employment to take up anything including the famous, "set up a shop" or "run your small business from home". So I ask again where you get your assumptions from?

I get my assumptions from real people outside nairaland and few threads on career section and yes even on family section where women came to open threads complaining that their husbands didn't want to do hand work or join them in their businesses because the say business doesn't fit their status. Again you are saying things i never said.I really don't know where you are getting all these informations from. undecided First of all I said some yet you keep generalising.

The story is about her life post marriage, not pre-marriage. Assuming she was working prior to getting married, her circumstances were obviously different - but what's your point though? What's her pre-married life got to do with her situation post marriage? lipsrsealed

You wrote this:
Just because she's been married for 14 years doesn't automatically imply that they started having kids immediately they tied the knot. For all we know, the couple could have been late starters with very young kids in tow right now

If she started having kids late, she must have been doing something with her life all this while?no? If her circumstances were obviously different so what the point of asking me about what does it have to do with her pre-marriage life? Neither of us were there or know anything, we are all assuming things.

And what makes you think she's saved a kobo to her name? Okay, let's assume she's got some savings. Why then would she want to go back there after being beaten up with a damaged eye to show for? Hasn't what she's saved enough to sustain her and her four kids, get herself some sort of accommodation, with some leftover to start up a business / search for work?

And what makes you think she haven't? Why do Ronke, and all the abused women go back to their husbands? Why do working class women still stay with their abusive husbands? Question for the gods and those women,not me! Seriously?

And what's the ratio millionaire housewives receiving 100 - 200k allowance to those married to 18k men receiving 10k allowance? Is the ratio disproportionate or grossly disproportionate in a country like Nigeria, on the edge of a recession? Tell me. grin grin

And why do we categorise poor,middle class and rich? You asked for levels and i gave you an example of level, the ratio has nothing to do with what i am saying. Is there a level of housewives yes, even if there are 15.

Just because you think I generalized doesn't mean that's true. I argued for both sides and I've countless times I've seen the pros and cons. This is just one of the scenarios and yes, I believe this woman has got absolutely nothing to her name after 14 years of marriage with nothing (apart from her kids) to show for. You know it too, hence your calling her "dummy, senseless, etc". Abi?

Nope I called her dummy because after 14 years of marriage, she should not beg her husband because of such shameful excuse.Just like most of us will never understand why a woman earning will remain in an abusive marriage. Her level of dependency on her husband is stupid and not what she might have.It can be not wanting to be called a divorcee or religious beliefs....

Why does the sanitary towels bit seem to get to you so much? Would it have made any difference if I said such women go cap in hand, begging for soup money and pocket money? Does it matter which specific item they ask for? The underlying principle is the same, which is, since they don't earn, they are 100% reliant on the man for EVERYTHING. Begging for weaveon money doesn't make it anymore dignifying than begging for money to purchase sanitary towels. Begging is begging, irrespective of what is begged for.

It doesn't get me, i just find it ridiculous to even think every housewife begs for everything from her spouse. grin Being 100% reliant on a man doesn't make you a beggar,not everyone is married to a cun.t.

Do you by any chance, think her not working could be one of the causes of her being unhappy in that marriage?
Nope!

Redundant points, both of which have already been addressed. Reiterating what's been said doesn't add weight to the argument.

My sentiments too.

No? Then why call her unprintable names like "senseless", "dummy", cast asperations on her educational background / qualifications?

And more importantly, why d'you think she's going to such desperate measures to save her marriage? Especially if she's got a safety net / nest egg?

She alone can answer this, people go to any length to preserve and keep what is dear to them, some even kill spouse who cheats on them instead of walking away.

She's forced to beg for everything! She's got zero income and fully reliant on the man. She can't even raise her voice.
According to you and it's not a fact! You don't know her.

Really?

Prove it.

Why? You know your way to romance/career section and even here on family section, how many posts from graduates people have complained about ?

2 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by edwife(f): 12:59pm On May 28, 2016
EfemenaXY:

Nah you are not pushing any buttons, a long while coming? wow I am impressed. grin
Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by 5minsmadness: 1:03pm On May 28, 2016
TheArchangel:
The thesis writers are here.

How do you people manage to write all this long epistles?

Damn.
As in.
I'm flummoxed undecided
Them dey try Abeg.

1 Like

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by edwife(f): 1:20pm On May 28, 2016
Mindfulness:

I believe that Edwife is right when she says that stay at home mothers need to be shown more respect. In fact, it is annoying that women have to justify their decisions all the time, whether they stay at home or decide to pursue their careers BUT what we shouldn't encourage is for women to bring children into this world without knowing how to take care of them in the case that anything doesn't go as planned. Now Edwife is located in a country that has established a support system for people in need. This is non-existent in Nigeria and yet women decide to have plenty children, of which many suffer because their own parents are not able to take care of them.

Thank you for getting what i was saying from my previous post.Anybody that wants to stay at home need to be taken care of and such woman will never have to beg for anything.

Edwife, if anything had gone wrong in your family (God forbid), you would have at least be granted minimal support that would ensure your survival and that of your children. It is a different story for women in Nigeria. For the sake of all unborn and born children, let us not encourage people to have children before they have established a safety net that they can fall back on if problems show up.

If anything would have gone wrong, i would have been in Nigeria because it was in Nigeria that i was a housewife and yes I would have had all the support i could because I had things in place for me and the kids. Do you know that there are some women who work but as soon as they lose their spouse, they can't cope with the expenses? Their salaries can't support them. It is all about good planning and the man you are married to and I agree with you, people should stop making babies they can't support.

Poverty is at the heart of this society's problems. Even in the West a middle-class family father is not able to ensure a good living standard for a family with four children so most mothers resume work as soon as possible. Either have fewer kids or make more money. Most people are not part of the upper class and cannot afford it to have only person making money.
There is nothing idealistic about it, it is all about calculus and pragmatism.

Exactly what I said in my previous posts, in Nigeria- you will hardly find a man who makes the minimum wage asking his wife to stay home. Who are the women hawking pure water,bananas on the streets? Even sending their kids to hustle not to talk of their wives? There are many jumoke in Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by edwife(f): 1:27pm On May 28, 2016
Kimoni:

hmmm..... cheesy
Re: Man Batters His Wife And Demands For An Apology by EfemenaXY: 1:31pm On May 28, 2016
Edwife, you're going round in circles. Let's agree to disagree on this.

As far as I'm concerned, woman who is 100% reliant on a man for EVERYTHING, despite her educational qualifications is no different to a begger.

What's the point of going to school in the first place if her sole aim is to be a "kept" woman? We've all got brains. Use it or lose it. It's that simple.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (Reply)

How Do You Cope With An Unmarried Sibling. / What Is The Ideal Duration Of Ormugor (baby Tendering) / Common Crossroads In Marriage - Surehome Marriage Seminar

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 151
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.