Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,130 members, 7,814,952 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 01:32 AM

The Best Business Schools In The World - Education (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best Business Schools In The World (23861 Views)

Mba Essays For Tuck, Chicago Booth, Stern And Havard Business Schools. / How To Get Into The Top Universities/ Business Schools In The World / Business Schools In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 12:13pm On Dec 08, 2009
TexMex:

C'mon, you guys should cut the guy some slack. Been admitted is a function of quality of other candidates. I once interviewed with a top software company and they later told me they 're moving on with other candidates. That doesn't mean I wasn't prepared but that some other candidates were better than me. In this economy, there are so many folks with stellar CVs looking for openings be it admission or job placement. And it's not even a once-in-a-lifetime thing. The institutions will give you another opportunity down the road, you only have to make sure you 've bolstered your CV with improved materials (experience, qualifications, etc) by then.

My guy, na him talk am with him mouth say he no dey ready na the reason wey we all dey surprised.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by rookie(m): 4:46pm On Jan 04, 2010
davidif:

rookie,
First of all congratulations on being interviewed by Yale, but on a more serious note, you mean Yale called you for an interview and YOU WERE NOT WELL PREPARED??          Unbelievable.

It wasn't that I didn't prepare. In fact i thought i was well prepared. but with hindsight, I'm now convinced that i was not [b]adequately [/b]prepared for the type of interview. Bear in mind, this was my first non-technical interview as the case of b-sch interviews are non-technical. During the interview i was unnecessarily nervous and anxious. The thought that this was perhaps one of the most crucial moments of my life did not help.

The truth is, if i had gotten in, maybe i would have evaluated my interview performance to have been stronger than how i currently feel abt it. I like to think that it was my interview that was bad, since they liked my application on paper.

I will keep you guys posted on my B-Sch 2010 applications status - not that anybody cares but just in case someone is curious to know how the story ends smiley.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Bowlue: 10:59am On Jan 05, 2010
aw much is a full time MBA programme @ lagos biz school?
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 6:04am On Jan 06, 2010
It wasn't that I didn't prepare. In fact i thought i was well prepared. but with hindsight, I'm now convinced that i was not adequately prepared for the type of interview. Bear in mind, this was my first non-technical interview as the case of b-sch interviews are non-technical. During the interview i was unnecessarily nervous and anxious. The thought that this was perhaps one of the most crucial moments of my life did not help.

The truth is, if i had gotten in, maybe i would have evaluated my interview performance to have been stronger than how i currently feel abt it. I like to think that it was my interview that was bad, since they liked my application on paper.

I will keep you guys posted on my B-Sch 2010 applications status - not that anybody cares but just in case someone is curious to know how the story ends

Goodluck mate. i actually got what you meant. A b-school interview would be very much different from that of a typical job interview and you would clueless about what they might ask apart from the obvious- why do you want to go here?

What questions were you asked last time?
Also do all B-schools have interviews, I really haven't heard of this b4
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by rookie(m): 6:44pm On Jan 06, 2010
You are right about their interviews - they are very different from most job interviews. They ask question varying from -
generics: "Why this school; why an MBA?; why now?; why did u choose your undergrad or job etc?" As you can see these questions are straight forward. Nonetheless some students perform poorly, as in my case, by giving nuanced answers. My advice to anyone: simply answer the question simple and short!
Some question that could throw u off balance: "tell us about an ethical dilemma that you experienced?; what can you uniquely contribute to our program that no one else can etc?"

A particular one that caught me off guard was: "you had a campus tour this morning, what was the name of your tour guide?"
I could not remember his name as i spent most of my tour thinking about my interview, which was scheduled to be right after my tour. Instead of simply admitting that I could not remember I worsened my case by making a foolish excuse to justify why i couldn't remember.

I've heard that the interviews can't really "make you" but they can "break you" if your performance was significantly below expectation.

SEFAGO:

Also do all B-schools have interviews, I really haven't heard of this b4 
These days almost all of them do, at least the top ones. I believe they started using interview as it became more competitive. The idea is, most top schools would offer interviews to only about 40% (sometimes less) per application round. They then accept about 35% - 50% of those interviewed. That why most end up with 15% - 20% acceptance rate. These vary relatively depending on the school.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 7:07pm On Jan 06, 2010
rookie:

You are right about their interviews are different from most job interviews. They ask question varying from
generics: "Why this school; why an MBA?; why now?; why did u choose your undergrad or job etc?" As you can see these questions are straight forward. Nonetheless some students perform poorly, as in my case, by giving nuanced answers. My advice to anyone: simply answer the question simple and short!
Some question that could throw u off balance: "tell us about an ethical dilemma that you experienced?; what can you uniquely contribute to our program that no one else can etc?"

A particular one that caught me off guard was: "you had a campus tour this morning, what was the name of your tour guide?"
I could not remember his name as i spent most of my tour thinking about my interview, which was scheduled to be right after my tour. Instead of simply admitting that I could not remember I worsened my case by making a foolish excuse to justify why i couldn't remember.

I've heard that the interviews can't really "make you" but they can "break you" if your performance was significantly below expectation.
This days almost all of them do, atleast the top ones. I beleive they started using interview as it became more competitive. The idea is, most top schools would offer interviews to only about 40% (sometimes less) per application round. They then accept about 35% - 50% of those interviewed. That why most end up with 15% - 20% acceptance rate. These vary relatively depending on the school.

Seems like pretty straight forward questions to me.

"You had a campus tour this morning, what was the name of your tour guide?"

I would be so nonchalant when I respond:

"I can't recall."
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by rookie(m): 7:27pm On Jan 06, 2010
Sagamite:

Seems like pretty straight forward questions to me.

"You had a campus tour this morning, what was the name of your tour guide?"

I would be so nonchalant when I respond:

"I can't recall."
Indeed the question was straight forward as I admitted that my response was foolish. I only mentioned that I was caught off guard.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 7:56pm On Jan 06, 2010
rookie:

Indeed the question was straight forward as I admitted that my response was foolish. I only mentioned that I was caught off guard.

No problem, bruv. Shite happens sometimes even to the best of us. wink
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 8:44pm On Jan 06, 2010
aw much is a full time MBA programme @ lagos biz school?

The programme currently costs N1,100,000 per session. Fees cover tuition and course materials and can be paid in three installments at the beginning of each semester.

There are few scholarships available, and awarded to students on the basis of financial need and merit. Candidates can apply for a scholarship once they have been offered a place on the programme.

The School does not provide accommodation, but we can assist you with information on how to find suitable housing around the School. Students typically share flats with other students at a rate of N120,000 - N150,000 per person p.a. Monthly expenses after paying the rent could be about N30,000.

These days almost all of them do, at least the top ones. I believe they started using interview as it became more competitive. The idea is, most top schools would offer interviews to only about 40% (sometimes less) per application round. They then accept about 35% - 50% of those interviewed. That why most end up with 15% - 20% acceptance rate. These vary relatively depending on the school.

Hilarious, this reminds me of the medical school application process. So what do they do for applicants living in Nigeria? Just curious, would they just get a naija alumni to interview you or a phone interview?

Nonetheless some students perform poorly, as in my case, by giving nuanced answers. My advice to anyone: simply answer the question simple and short!

These questions are quite common across the board. I think the problem would be answering them satisfactorily. I have always considered the ethic question one of the dumbest/hardest application questions for any role (I have encountered it so many times). The problem is that they don't want a saintly answer, neither do they want that of a devil but a balance between rational action and emotion. The question is dumb because it is possible that you have never encountered an ethical dilemma- many haven't and people could just make up a scenario. The unique question is my favorite, because it gives me the chance to sing my praises cheesy
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by rookie(m): 9:54pm On Jan 06, 2010
SEFAGO:

Hilarious, this reminds me of the medical school application process. So what do they do for applicants living in Nigeria? Just curious,  would they just get a naija alumni to interview you or a phone interview?
Correct, most schools use alumni if candidates cant make it to campus. They often have hub city interviews in select metropolises e.g. london, paris, tokyo, banglore etc.

SEFAGO:

These questions are quite common across the board. I think the problem would be answering them satisfactorily. I have always considered the ethic question one of the dumbest/hardest application questions for any role (I have encountered it so many times). The problem is that they don't want a saintly answer,  neither do they want that of a devil but a balance between rational action and emotion. The question is dumb because it is possible that you have never encountered an ethical dilemma- many haven't and people could just make up a scenario. The unique question is my favorite, because it gives me the chance to sing my praises  cheesy

Like you rightfully pointed out, i think balance is key. You don't want to sound mediocre nor bombastic.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 10:55pm On Jan 06, 2010
Ok, last question grin

Are you an international, permanent resident, US citizen student? Also do u know fellow Nigerians at top B-schools- I am basically trying to gauge any minority boosts in business school applicants if any. I dont trust statistics, I prefer experience.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by rookie(m): 5:48am On Jan 07, 2010
i'm a PR.

During my visits to YSOM, HBS, Columbia, MIT I met Nigerians at each school except HBS. I visited HBS in summer when most students were on break. I think the population of Nigerian enrolled at top MBA programs is a little decent considering we and Ghanians represent a higher percentage of African student. I know for a fact that the number of African Americans enrolled have increased over the years due to combined efforts made by minority participation programs such as The Consortium, ML4T etc.

I have a few friends that are alum of some of top programs as well.

BTW - are you considering an MBA? though i know you mentioned that you are enrolled in a quant related Masters program. These days its never too late, you find Docs, Phd bagging MBAs, so.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 7:32am On Jan 07, 2010
i'm a PR.

Your own don better  grin grin grin, and it also the rules might be a bit different for you I think.

During my visits to YSOM, HBS, Columbia, MIT I met Nigerians at each school except HBS. I visited HBS in summer when most students were on break. I think the population of Nigerian enrolled at top MBA programs is a little decent considering we and Ghanians represent a higher percentage of African student. I know for a fact that the number of African Americans enrolled have increased over the years due to combined efforts made by minority participation programs such as The Consortium, ML4T etc.

Hmm ok, i guessed so. I was just curious, I heard business school is one of the whitest professional schools grin

BTW - are you considering an MBA? though i know you mentioned that you are enrolled in a quant related Masters program. These days its never too late, you find Docs, Phd bagging MBAs, so.

No not doing quant, you are probably mixing me up with a previous poster. I am technically an undergrad- I finished my major last year, but I am completing an additional double minor and taking PhD-level classes in my major. I just feel like staying in undergrad forever grin

As for if I want an MBA, that was the major reason why i asked you your status. I dont think I have 150,000+ at the moment to shell on any program, and you know your options for funding professional school is greatly improved by your status in US.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by rookie(m): 9:04pm On Jan 07, 2010
SEFAGO:

As for if I want an MBA, that was the major reason why i asked you your status. I dont think I have 150,000+ at the moment to shell on any program, and you know your options for funding professional school is greatly improved by your status in US.

Specific banks and (some MBA schools as well) offer loans to international students applying to top MBA program. I guess they feel more comfortable that such benefactors would be in position to repay upon earning big cheddar, lol
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Bowlue: 6:28pm On Jan 08, 2010
@sefago; thanks
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 12:29pm On Jan 27, 2010
rookie:

Specific banks and (some MBA schools as well) offer loans to international students applying to top MBA program. I guess they feel more comfortable that such benefactors would be in position to repay upon earning big cheddar, lol

Yeah I know, and I already know the schools who do so both in and out of the US. I think in the future i might consider an MBA.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 1:41am On Apr 28, 2010
One of my really good friends who got an MBA from my school spoke to his relative who went to Wayne State University and he found out that truly not all MBA's are equal when that guy told him of his experience. I must admit that i was stunned.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 7:30am On Apr 28, 2010
would you mind to share?
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 4:20am On Apr 29, 2010
homeboy said they didn't learn enough and that what people were doing with excel in other MBA programs, they were using calculators for. He also said that he barely even knows how to do basic financial projects.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by richceo: 4:22am On Apr 29, 2010
just apply for a local computer training school and you get the answers

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 5:12am On Apr 29, 2010
davidif:

homeboy said they didn't learn enough and that what people were doing with excel in other MBA programs, they were using calculators for. He also said that he barely even knows how to do basic financial projects.

LOL, they still dey use excel for MBA too? For the 200K they charge you, I would expect them to be using some super-program.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by richceo: 5:28am On Apr 29, 2010
we hope in the nearest 10 years from now, Nigeria will have the best business school in the whole world

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 3:15am On Apr 30, 2010
richceo:

we hope in the nearest 10 years from now, Nigeria will have the best business school in the whole world

This is just like saying because i am now in yanki, i should be using a flying car to get around from place to place because afterall its yanki.
Everybody uses Excel. In fact, its a major requirement for working in any Wall Street firm or any major corporations. The more prolific you are on it, the better.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 3:54am On Apr 30, 2010
LOL, I am master of excel sheets, no need to learn how to use them for 200K
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by DisGuy: 1:47pm On Apr 30, 2010
richceo:

dey there dey dream, Indian Business School that was set up in 2001 is one of the best bschool in the world
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 12:27am On May 01, 2010
Dis Guy:

dey there dey dream, Indian Business School that was set up in 2001 is one of the best bschool in the world

They are really getting there but the Indian institute of management is much better.

LOL, I am master of excel sheets, no need to learn how to use them for 200K

Good for you.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by bebure(m): 12:47am On May 15, 2010
Wow! I never knew soo many Nigerians were interested in getting an MBA. But is there really any need to denigrate aspiring petroleum engineers? I'm starting an MS in Petroleum Engineering this year but I want to do an MBA after getting four to six years experience in the oil service industry so I can set up a firm that is truly competitive on a global scale. If I don't get into the likes of Harvard, Wharton, Sloan, Kellog et al I wont even bother wasting my money. I've compromised my education too much already because of cost e.g. passing up on UCL for a less expensive university.
SEFAGO you seem to be on any and every board regarding higher education LOL. I'm pretty sure I read some comments - a lot of comments - you made on collegeconfidential a while ago about the superiority of US universities over those in the UK (btw I agree with you- US beats the UK hands down).
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 12:49am On May 21, 2010
bebure:

Wow! I never knew soo many Nigerians were interested in getting an MBA. [b]But is there really any need to denigrate aspiring petroleum engineers? [/b]I'm starting an MS in Petroleum Engineering this year but I want to do an MBA after getting four to six years experience in the oil service industry so I can set up a firm that is truly competitive on a global scale. If I don't get into the likes of Harvard, Wharton, Sloan, Kellog et al I wont even bother wasting my money. I've compromised my education too much already because of cost e.g. passing up on UCL for a less expensive university.
SEFAGO you seem to be on any and every board regarding higher education LOL. I'm pretty sure I read some comments - a lot of comments - you made on collegeconfidential a while ago about the superiority of US universities over those in the UK (btw I agree with you- US beats the UK hands down).

Well there are too many of you guys- everyone in Nigeria wants to work in the oil industry lol even me subconsciously. Or if that does not work out a bank.

Yeah I am all over the place. Its good you passed UCL though, the American embassy has it on their watchlist- jokes hehe
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 8:02pm On Jul 16, 2010
bebure:

Wow! I never knew soo many Nigerians were interested in getting an MBA. But is there really any need to denigrate aspiring petroleum engineers? I'm starting an MS in Petroleum Engineering this year but I want to do an MBA after getting four to six years experience in the oil service industry so I can set up a firm that is truly competitive on a global scale. If I don't get into the likes of Harvard, Wharton, Sloan, Kellog et al I wont even bother wasting my money. I've compromised my education too much already because of cost e.g. passing up on UCL for a less expensive university.

There is nothing wrong with oil my guy. Its just that its not an infinite resource so we should look beyond oil. If Nigeria is going to develop it certainly has to do that by diversifying. Besides, when i read science journals, i don't see any Nigerians shaking the world of science and technology, even the so called 'smart' kids who went to Nigeria's most exclusive private schools in Lagos and Abuja.
Also, you don't have to go to sloan, wharton and co. there are also many good schools that might be cheaper as seen on this ranking.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/rankings
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 6:20pm On Jul 22, 2010
davidif:

There is nothing wrong with oil my guy. Its just that its not an infinite resource so we should look beyond oil. If Nigeria is going to develop it certainly has to do that by diversifying. Besides, when i read science journals, i don't see any Nigerians shaking the world of science and technology, even the so called 'smart' kids who went to Nigeria's most exclusive private schools in Lagos and Abuja.
Also, you don't have to go to sloan, wharton and co. there are also many good schools that might be cheaper as seen on this ranking.
http://grad-schools.usnews.rankingsandreviews.com/best-graduate-schools/top-business-schools/rankings

Spending money on an MBA is useless for his purpose. No shaking we are rocking the world of parties man. Nevertheless private schools in Nigeria are useless. You are better put using the money to buy suya
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 6:42am On Jul 23, 2010
SEFAGO:

Spending money on an MBA is useless for his purpose. No shaking we are rocking the world of parties man. Nevertheless private schools in Nigeria are useless. You are better put using the money to buy suya

I beg to differ, i think an MBA is good if he wants to start a world class company. But yes our private school 'geniuses' are rocking the party world from London to New York, i dey see all of them for facebook lol. Private secondary schools are awesome in naija because the public school system is just awful. I read on nairaland some time ago on the travel section about a couple that was moving to naija and they were complaining that the best private schools which were insanely expensive were not even as good as the public schools they were leaving in England.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 5:20pm On Jul 27, 2010
Speaking of Abuja- the most brilliant students I have ever encountered anywhere I go to have been students from LJC. They were all top quality students. Infact the majority of Nigerians in the top schools in the US [i]on scholarships [/i]are from this school from what I have observed. I have not seen any school in Nigeria so well represented. So many of them are at Ivies, Top privates and top Publics and Top LACs. 

I beg to differ, i think an MBA is good if he wants to start a world class company.

U knw how many Italian leather couches that MBA money can buy to make a world class firm? Anyhoo he can get scholarships no need to contribute to the purse of some of the richest institutions in the world. There are some top business schools that would give scholarships to well qualified minority applicants especially from Africa.

i don't see any Nigerians shaking the world of science and technology, even the so called 'smart' kids who went to Nigeria's most exclusive private schools in Lagos and Abuja.

In time it will happen lol. Lots of smart naija people. Its just that brilliant students do not have the finances to attend top schools at the undergraduate level. And those who school in Nigeria and are brilliant just run and search for oil jobs.

Read Up: http://usami.princeton.edu/news/032007a.shtml

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

My project supervisor wants to take credit for my research work / IPPIS: Ten Reasons Why Lecturers Did Not Register On The IPPIS Platform / Oluwatoni Sanni On The List Of 1st Class Graduands At University Of Bristol

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 100
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.