Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,305 members, 7,836,330 topics. Date: Wednesday, 22 May 2024 at 05:06 AM

The Best Business Schools In The World - Education (11) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best Business Schools In The World (23968 Views)

Mba Essays For Tuck, Chicago Booth, Stern And Havard Business Schools. / How To Get Into The Top Universities/ Business Schools In The World / Business Schools In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Thomaths(m): 11:05am On Sep 24, 2009
Does anyone know BSN ( Business school Netherland)??
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 1:37pm On Sep 24, 2009
Germany is the largest economy in europe.

yeah i knw that

Their economy is mainly driven by the manufacturing sector and her main indexes (DAX) is closely related to (DJIA)

This was what i was looking for. I am still trying to fathom who they are manufacturing for in this economy grin

Disclaimer: I am totally ignorant and mediocre so no one should insult me, I am not worth it-everyone on nairaland knows more than i do. i am just stating what i think
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 10:17pm On Sep 24, 2009
Heard about this naija girl, she got an offer at Well fargo, and she got it repealed (in their information technology department). Poor girl, considering the fact she is an international student. She managed the impossible and got a job in America, got it repealed, b4 she even did the struggle for work visa.

To make matters worse, the US Senate, planned to make provisions (i dont know if they ever did)    - wanted to make sure investment banks receiving bailout funds  could never hire foreigners, because "it doesn't make sense to hire foreigners, when the banks can hire Americans, the one who are financing the bailout" Immediately I heard that one, I knew all was over

I feel sorry for the girl, nowadays getting a job in yanki is incredibly tough especially if you are not a science (read: engineering) major. I wish i had studied engineering at times, i could probably have been working in the oil industry in Texas by now  grin grin.

By the way, the resolution passed long ago, companies who take TARP funds cannot hire H1-B's. So sad.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 11:05pm On Sep 24, 2009
So do oil companies discriminate in hiring foreigners? Like I-banks (what i have seen) only take the best of the best internationals( very elitist and from certain targets, they also need internship experience) but oil companies I heard (I really want to find out since it seems you are in the south/Midwest and that is were they are situated, adn i dont know anything about how they hire) and that they prefer people from state schools or schools closer to them.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 12:04am On Sep 25, 2009
Finance is out, Gangster business is in.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by jaybee3(m): 7:44am On Sep 25, 2009
SEFAGO:

This was what i was looking for. I am still trying to fathom who they are manufacturing for in this economy grin

Have a close look at the components of the DAX index so as to see the correlation between USA's consumer data and the volatility/ripple effect it drives on DAX once released.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by TexMex: 9:07am On Sep 25, 2009
@SEFAGO and Davidif

Good that you guys finally got the point I was canvassing all along. It is instructive that even at the height of the recession when companies like Microsoft gave pink slips to some of their MBA holders, they were still recruiting engineers.

It's not too late to get the requisite skills to work in egalitarian fields like Engineering. Companies in engineering/IT field do not discriminate in employing native Americans or foreigners. The few ones that discriminate are those like Raytheon, Lockheed Martin, etc that have binding obligations with the U.S. Department of Defense (DoD). Essentially therefore, the discrimination is security-related. I remember when I was to visit Bell Helicopters sometimes back, I had to obtain security clearance ahead of the visit.

Recruiters from companies like Microsoft, Google, Texas Instruments, CONOCO, CHEVRON, VERIZON etc regularly visit schools during career fairs to recruit interns, and offer CPT, OPT and full-time job positions. Also, the National Society of Black Engineers conduct job fairs of her own to give minorities and foreigners a chance to meet recruiters.

In all, I will advise you to pursue your dreams. You might just land the perfect job you desire. A man's gift maketh room for him.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 7:02pm On Sep 25, 2009
Good that you guys finally got the point I was canvassing all along. It is instructive that even at the height of the recession when companies like Microsoft gave pink slips to some of their MBA holders, they were still recruiting engineers.

Yeah, I know that the demand for engineers wouldn't slow down as opposed to the people who engage in  less innovative but sought after professions. I think, we are chasing the money, more than the job. Engineers do get recruited a lot but also there salaries peak and opportunities for them to penetrate upperlevel management needs a masters degree (at least) but most usually an MBA. This is what I have seen from talking to people, What is your opinion texmex?

I really want to know because this is a question I have always had- do engineers just peak at a certain salary, assuming they don't start a company? What opportunities do they have to join the higher management? I noticed that a lot of CEOs/executives in major engineering companies have business degrees as opposed to engineering?

Recruiters from companies like Microsoft, Google, Texas Instruments, CONOCO, CHEVRON, VERIZON etc regularly visit schools during career fairs to recruit interns, and offer CPT, OPT and full-time job positions. Also, the National Society of Black Engineers conduct job fairs of her own to give minorities and foreigners a chance to meet recruiters.

There are few things, i regret but one of them is not going to do engineering as an undergrad. All the international students, I know,  all go into finance or consulting. A lot got jobs at google but i think it was also consulting.  Engineering firms dont recruit a lot in my area, since we don't even have many of them. I also don't want to go anywhere near the south  grin grin grin a.k.a Texas, as a preference.

So Texmex, are you an Electrical/Mechanical engineer?
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by TexMex: 5:52am On Sep 26, 2009
^^^
That was close but not quite. Actually, I 'm in the Computer Software Engineering field with core competency in synthesis and optimization of high performance systems.

Pay scales for engineers are more like step costs with experience and qualifications playing key roles. Yeah, we may not command the $250,000 annual pay of MBA holders, but the pay's okay to live on, and as your experience increases you can tap into available opportunities. I have colleagues that have gone on to pursue a Ph.D and are today Chief Technology Officers, Lead Information Security Engineers at places like HP and EBay.

Microsoft and Google demand a Masters degree, and intensive knowledge of Operating systems. They offer one of the best working conditions in the world as at today. Why I 'm so keen on engineering/IT is the wide range of opportunities it offers and it been knowledge-based. With it, you can be self-employed and can also work for organizations. There are some guys whose only job is to hack systems and expose security vulnerabilities. They command top dollar in pay (they subtly ask to be well-paid so that they won't be tempted to sell critical information to the Russians!)

Hope you will cross the field to Engineering and not health-care.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by candylips(m): 9:04am On Sep 26, 2009
Nothing beats having an Engineering/Finance combo.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 4:03pm On Sep 26, 2009

Mate you do know whats up  grin. yeah, the best combo (From what i hear, i dont know) is an undergrad degree in engineering then work for three years, then an MBA in finance or proceed immediately into an MS in Operations research/FE/ Finance after graduation.

There are some guys whose only job is to hack systems and expose security vulnerabilities. They command top dollar in pay (they subtly ask to be well-paid so that they won't be tempted to sell critical information to the Russians!)

Haha, I think this would however pose significant problem to the US in the future. American policy makers (from what I have heard and see), are really certain that china/india would overtake their economy in 50+ years (the sheer size of these countries makes it difficult for development to trickle down to the less-developed areas. Like Mumbai, though being the silicon valley of india, has a significant number of slums). This would be further accelerated by the fact that a lot of PhD programs (contributors to the technological advancements in the US) are from these countries. I think we would see more covert transfer of technology as America loses its position as the sole world power. I am not sure, I might be wrong, I am reading it as it seems.

I have colleagues that have gone on to pursue a Ph.D and are today Chief Technology Officers, Lead Information Security Engineers at places like HP and EBay.

wow

Hope you will cross the field to Engineering and not health-care.

Well still making decisions, but I have always been an engineer at heart- and a scientist by choice. Thanks, I rarely get the chance to converse with people in the IT/engineering field.

So what do you think about social media entrepreneurship- i dont know if this is part of IT- especially in Nigeria? Like Nairaland, has been a huge success grin. i found it in 2005, when I finished secondary school and had to sit in naija for a year doing nothing. The membership has evolved greatly- when I first started, there were very few people, but 3 years later it has exploded. I think Nairaland, could be a good case study, for the opportunities available for social media.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by kavita: 6:45pm On Sep 26, 2009
I will like to introduce you to business opportunities at www.greenbubbles.biz - Green Bubbles holds free Wealth Creation Seminars, offering great business ideas to young people while also letting them know how they can live a good life, making money at their on convenient, you can register at www.greenbubbles.biz for the next wealth creation seminar. Being there and love it!
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by DisGuy: 7:10pm On Sep 26, 2009
candylips:

Yup!! Tidjane Thiam- First Black CEO of a FTSE 100

In 1984 Thiam received an Engineering degree from the École Polytechnique in Paris and in 1986 a degree in Civil Engineering from the École Nationale Supérieure des Mines de Paris where he was top of his class. In 1988 he received an MBA from INSEAD.

Guardian

1 Like

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 8:40pm On Sep 26, 2009
he was top of his class

I think this quote made me happy.

But that is good news
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Nobody: 9:15pm On Sep 26, 2009
Nice & informative thread!I'll b rounding up my programme very soon;i'm studying Chemical Engineering in one of d federal unis of tech 4 naija,working towards obtaining a foreign scholarship to study for my postgraduate studies in d U.S. & subsequently work there.I'll want u 2 enlighten me on how 2 get in2 any of d universities in d south,probably Texa or nearby.which is beta MBA or M.eng?
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 10:26pm On Sep 26, 2009
If you are thinking of working in the US, I would say get ready for a bumpy road, however as an engineer, you have first pick, and with a graduate degree, your options are significantly higher- I would say consider schools in texas, louisiana, georgia (especially georgia tech if you are phenomenal). I am clueless about the south- I only know about the northeast  grin.

I once went to the south and it was full of trees, and farmlands and cows, I thot i was in naija  grin grin grin. I am kidding ooo.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 1:55am On Sep 29, 2009
There are few things, i regret but one of them is not going to do engineering as an undergrad. All the international students, I know,  all go into finance or consulting. A lot got jobs at google but i think it was also consulting.

Ehn shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked, omo na USC, or some ivy league school you dey?  because google no dey even smell our side at all, na so so oil and gas companies dey reach our place.

So do oil companies discriminate in hiring foreigners?
Not all, some of them take only permanent residents (green card holders) or US citizens but majority of oil companies would take anybody, it just differs from state to state or from major to major, if you go to Texas, i have lotttts of friends working for oil company. I was at my school's career fair the other day and only 4 out of the 84 companies that came only hire H1-B's. If to say i be Engineering student for Caltech or Carnegie Mellon, no company for talk that kind nonsense

In all, I will advise you to pursue your dreams. You might just land the perfect job you desire. A man's gift maketh room for him.

omo, my dream is to start my own consulting company but before that, i want to work on wall street and gain a lot of experience in finance.
In the long run, my desire is to be a public policy maker for naija in education. I would also love to be a principal or an administrator of some primary school in some rural area in naija where education is desperately needed like Ebonyi or Yobe so i can give poor kids a free world class education so that they end up at Dartmouth, Brown or Cornell. But like most people in that article posted earlier, i wanted to go make tons of money first in the private sector so i can take care of my family then when i am set i can go become a public servant. I am still young sha, so i still lots of time.

Disguy,
Thank you o jare, now you see why i am always advocating an ivy league background. If this guy had not gone INSEAD or Ecole Polytechnique, Ecole National supiere (some of the best engineering schools in Europe), and INSEAD (one of the best business schools in the world), THERE IS NO WAY HE WOULD HAVE WORKED FOR MCKINSEY.
I told my finance teacher who goes to wall street every year and has lots of friends over there that i wanted to work at wall street and she told me that those companies are heavily biased towards target schools (read: ivy league) and for someone like me who wants to own his hedge fund and doesn't want to be like the average naija guy who works for an oil company, that was bad news.

1 Like

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by NobiGod: 2:22am On Sep 29, 2009
davidif:

Disguy,
Thank you o jare, now you see why i am always advocating an ivy league background. If this guy had not gone INSEAD or Ecole Polytechnique, Ecole National supiere (some of the best engineering schools in Europe), and INSEAD (one of the best business schools in the world), THERE IS NO WAY HE WOULD HAVE WORKED FOR MCKINSEY.
I told my finance teacher who goes to wall street every year and has lots of friends over there that i wanted to work at wall street and she told me that those companies are heavily biased towards target schools (read: i[b]vy league) and for someone like me who wants to own his hedge fund and doesn't want to be like the average naija guy who works for an oil company, that was bad news. [/b]

As you know they still remain the best places to work in Nigeria.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 2:22am On Sep 29, 2009
 because google no dey even smell our side at all, na so so oil and gas companies dey reach our place.

yeah, I go to a substandard school, i don't even know why they come. They miss road  grin. we get no oil companies, because we don't do engineering.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 2:24am On Sep 29, 2009
As you know they still remain the best places to work in Nigeria.

yes man engineering companies all the way, those paper making companies are rubbish, no value to society except ahem multiplier, trading imaginary stuff, stock index, without actually producing anythin, grin grin grin
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by teana: 9:00pm On Oct 01, 2009
Goldmann:

Was astonished to see how long this thread has gone,  Interesting!

Basically, Ive said it b4 (refer to my lengthy page 1 post) and I will say it again: The MBA cannot be for everybody. One thing I can assure anyone though is that an MBA is an extremely worthy investment when combined with your innate intelligence, leadership skills, determination, drive and ambition. While an MBA is not a guarantee of success, It will significantly open a lot more doors and if you're intelligent, ambitious and driven, the sky may just be your starting point.

All the same, we cannot rule out the backward mentality so many Nigerians have, Ive got Managers and Assistant Managers in my office who say stuff like:
"What are you looking for abroad"
"Harvard is a waste of money"
"People in the U.K and U.S are suffering, they cannot compare the quality of their life to ours in Nigeria"
"If you travel abroad as a Nigerian, you are destined to be a cab driver or a morgue employee".

Hilarious as these statements may seem, they are actually true! Such narrow ways of thinking, In the mind of my Branch Manager, the only thing necessary (regardless of your career goals) after a first degree is ICAN! In his words, ICAN and not a Harvard or Stanford MBA will take you anywhere!

It is sickening being surrounded by such people; Yes I schooled in Nigeria, University of Ibadan to be precise but I would rather be a suicide bomber in Iraq than go back to U.I, UNILAG, IFE or even Lagos Business School to do my MBA! Hell no! You see, I am not one of those people who feel you have to go abroad to make it, No Im not, but no Nigerian MBA can remotely aid me in achieving my ambitions, This is why I am considering getting an MBA precisely in Stanford.

Basically, it is all about ambitions and goals, You cannot impose ambition on people, It has to come from within, All together, I believe there are four broad groups of people.

1. People who legitimately do not need an MBA by virtue of the career advancement and managerial experience they have already gathered and who are convinced the value of an MBA to them would be limited.

2. Shallow backward people who are constantly in denial and say things like : "I can never send my child abroad, she will become a prostitute" or "It is too cold there and people on the streets do not say hello to each other" and finally "We are the ones that have money, the average American or Briton is poor, they actually envy us", No amount of convincing can change these people, They are local champions where they are and cannot see beyond their noses, As a Relationship Manager in a top bank in Nigeria, I am surrounded by such people, To such people an MBA is a waste of money, to them career success is kissing ass to meet 200 Million Naira targets and getting promoted while everyone applauds you at Monthly Performance Reviews. I will never waste my time trying to make such people see reason for an MBA,

3. People who consider an MBA as something that has to be done on a 'to-do-list', They probably have no clue what they want to achieve in life, they just move with the flow, They just look up a school that is in State where they have family and one that is relatively easy to get into. They believe top schools like H/S/W are not for them, They say: "Abeg, I am not ready to go and become an efiko i yankee, Harvard is for bookworms, I am not a bookworm" These people are cursed with mediocrity, stay far away from them,

(Probably my greatest motivation for cosidering STANFORD is that statistically it is the most difficult MBA to get into; Quote me anywhere, the acceptance rate is less than 10%, This is what attracts me, I would never ever follow the path of less resistance!!!)

4. and FINALLY The rest of us who have CLEAR goals and are very very ambitious! We have considered our goals deeply and have come to the realization that an MBA will be a viable stepping stone; We do not select a school to apply to fro the middle or bottom of the rankings, We go right to the top where LBS, Harvard, Stanford, Wharton and Columbia vie for supremacy. We have identified role models and wish to even surpass them in the near future, We are aware that a top MBA will be the perfect complement our inner strengths, abilities and achievements, We know the MBA is not going to make us, it will complement us, We do not consider ourselves inferior to other applicants to these top programmes even if we are from U.I, Lag or Ife and they are from Caltech, MIT or Princeton, We do not consider the MBA as an end in itself, it is only the means to an end! If you are anything like what I have described above, you will not think twice about paying a 100Grand to go to Harvard cos u know it will pay off in the end!

In case you haven't guessed it yet, I am unashamedly in the last category of people, I may not have the stellar background or education of some other top B-School Applicants but I know I can match and probably surpass their drive and determination to fulfill my AMBITIONS, I am not rich, neither am I from a wealthy home but the beauty of life is that the FIRST and MOST IMPORTANT rung on the ladder of success is AMBITION and it is absolutely FREE!

Given my ambitions, its an MBA for me anyday, I'll take a loan if I have 2, Most top schools offer no-cosigner loans to International students that cover the entire cost of attendance,  Im leaving my bank next month to take up an offer at KPMG, I'll want to pick up a year or two of solid work experience there in addition to that which I already have, I already made  a '740' on the GMAT when I took it in 2008 and luckily its valid for 5years,
I gained admission into the brand new London Business School Masters in Management (MiM) which started on September 1st 2009 and even won a total of 11,000GBP in scholarships , but I decided to reconsider, get some more work experience and apply for an MBA in the very near future. (This seems crazy to most people but It all fits into the BIG PICTURE I have for my life!!!)

Fellow ambitious members of Nairaland, I wish you well in all your endeavours, As the popular saying goes "Control your destiny or someone else will" All the best!!!

GOLDMANN what is KPMG paying you for if u have all this time to waste on nairaland writing 10pages of ur personal opinion,,,,,NO WONDER YOU HAVE NOT YET PASSED YOUR ICAN.OTONDO
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by NobiGod: 2:21pm On Oct 02, 2009
teana:

GOLDMANN what is KPMG paying you for if u have all this time to waste on nairaland writing 10pages of your personal opinion,,,,,NO WONDER YOU HAVE NOT YET PASSED YOUR ICAN.OTONDO

Do u have to follow him down here from your Zenith bank arguement?
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 11:47pm On Oct 08, 2009
teana:

GOLDMANN what is KPMG paying you for if u have all this time to waste on nairaland writing 10pages of your personal opinion,,,,,NO WONDER YOU HAVE NOT YET PASSED YOUR ICAN.OTONDO

Don't you bring stupid insults to this thread, it is for people who have important things to say.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by funkygirl: 11:25am On Oct 13, 2009
i really want to go to Harvard. i dream about it everyday. i'm presently studying for GMAT. guess u guys have seen alot. is there any requirements that Harvard seek so as to aid me in my preparations.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 2:49am On Oct 21, 2009
funkygirl:

i really want to go to Harvard. i dream about it everyday. i'm presently studying for GMAT. guess u guys have seen alot. is there any requirements that Harvard seek so as to aid me in my preparations.

Omo, my sister i am just like you.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by maxell(f): 3:02am On Oct 21, 2009
funkygirl:

leadership potential shown by previous work experience. i know you must have at least
five years of post baccalaureate work experience to be a competitive candidate. This is of course in addition
to your outstanding academic credentials.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 3:27am On Oct 21, 2009
leadership potential shown by previous work experience. i know you must have at least
five years of post baccalaureate work to be a competitive candidate. This is of course in addition
to your outstanding academic credentials.

I agree, you need good academic credentials (not as high as other professional schools)- but the most important thing is work experience. I think the standard in the US is usually 3 years. I know ppl personally who have gotten in straight after graduating  university though, but they are usually people who have significant work experience while in college/university.

I would say any other top business school would suffice though if you don't get into HBS. Considering the fact that the population of Africans is about less than a 1% (no surprise when we are having this type of silly debate), as long as you are slightly above average you might have a good chance.

I also think your main concern would be financing business school because they rarely give scholarships- however a lot of top schools have loan programs accessible to international students without cosigners- check on that.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Nobody: 3:30am On Oct 21, 2009
Earl Grave business school
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 7:38am On Oct 22, 2009
mubowa:

Earl Grave business school

YOU AND WHO WAN GO MORGAN STATE angry angry angry angry grin grin?!?!?!?

1 Like

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 10:42am On Oct 22, 2009
funkygirl:

Omo, the key is to study very very hard. If you get a crazy GMAT score then most likely you would get in. Also, when writing the GMAT don't forget to also send your score report to Stanford, Massachussetts Institute of Technology (MIT), Northwestern University, Yale, and the University of Virginia. These are other top schools so it won't hurt to apply to this schools.

By the way, YOU BETTER HAVE THE MONEY TO BE ABLE TO PONY UP FOR THOSE SCHOOLS SHOULD YOU GET ACCEPTED, DON'T THINK THAT YOU CAN AFFORD TO WORK OFF CAMPUS AND BE ABLE TO PAY YOUR TUITION OR YOU ARE JUST JOKING.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by layzie: 8:58pm On Oct 25, 2009
@david, teana and co
Pls how did u get the study materials, im also interested
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 10:45pm On Oct 25, 2009
layzie:

@david, teana and co
Pls how did u get the study materials, im also interested

Study materials for what??

(1) (2) (3) ... (8) (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (Reply)

Deji Akinwande To Receive Presidential Award In The U.S / UNIBADAN Sent Medical Students Out Of Their Hostels For Protesting (videos) / Which Of These Is Correct?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 94
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.