Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,194,410 members, 7,954,626 topics. Date: Saturday, 21 September 2024 at 02:32 AM

The Best Business Schools In The World - Education (12) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Education / The Best Business Schools In The World (24494 Views)

Mba Essays For Tuck, Chicago Booth, Stern And Havard Business Schools. / How To Get Into The Top Universities/ Business Schools In The World / Business Schools In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by bawomolo(m): 6:01pm On Oct 27, 2009
Engineers do get recruited a lot but also there salaries peak and opportunities for them to penetrate upperlevel management needs a masters degree (at least) but most usually an MBA. This is what I have seen from talking to people,

that's true, most engineers move into management or else you want to be stuck making presentations or wearing hard hats for the rest of your life.

Engineering management degrees are a premium these days.

sefago - why did you have to stay in naija for one year
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 7:01pm On Oct 27, 2009
sefago - why did you have to stay in naija for one year

when did i say i stayed in naija for one year? lol, not being confrontational (my sentence sadly sounds like that), just curious especially after my experience with a nasty poster

that's true, most engineers move into management or else you want to be stuck making presentations or wearing hard hats for the rest of your life.

Engineering management degrees are a premium these day

yeah, i agree but money will always be a limit to many endeavors and engineering management costs money.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by bawomolo(m): 10:55pm On Oct 27, 2009
i found it in 2005, when I finished secondary school and had to sit in naija for a year doing nothing.

this is from a long post of yours.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 12:29am On Oct 28, 2009
haha good reply lol, yes, I have the bad habit of doing long posts. Never stop yapping my mouth- well do u mean stay a year in naija like after high school?
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 12:57am On Oct 28, 2009
funkygirl
I also forgot to tell you to apply to University of Pennsylvania for an MBA, ther program is the best in the world (yes, even better than Harvard).
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 1:10am On Oct 28, 2009
well, i decided to stay for many reasons, one, I did not feel like going to university, two) I applied to only british universities previously and my options were either imperial or kings but did not want to go to either because i hate the UK with a passion.

Why the questions?
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by bawomolo(m): 6:34pm On Oct 28, 2009
SEFAGO:

well, i decided to stay for many reasons, one, I did not feel like going to university, two) I applied to only british universities previously and my options were either imperial or kings but did not want to go to either because i hate the UK with a passion.

Why the questions?

just wondering why you chose to stay in naija for a year. chasing village girls? grin
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by mbulela: 11:35pm On Oct 28, 2009
or those who cannot or are not willing to go to the best, check this out for relatively very good quality and significantly cheaper top MBA.
http://www.gsb.uct.ac.za/newsletter/v2/Story.asp?intArticleID=891
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by mbulela: 11:46pm On Oct 28, 2009
Also, i have an incessant fear of the internet, I feel what i post here will one day come to haunt me, I dont know if thats true. So, I try to modify controversial posts. And in addition, I dont want people knowing too much about me, which i have indicated on my posts.

Sefago,
try and follow this advice and yield to the fear you expressed above.
It is very true and real.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 3:49am On Oct 29, 2009
just wondering why you chose to stay in naija for a year. chasing village girls? Grin

i wish, but i had multivaried reasons.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 3:51am On Oct 29, 2009
Sefago,
try and follow this advice and yield to the fear you expressed above.
It is very true and real.

Thats true but the problem is that i have figured that privacy on its own is difficult to keep online. Also, i have my ass well covered, don't worry (at least for the things that are important to me)
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 10:39am On Oct 29, 2009
bawomolo:

just wondering why you chose to stay in naija for a year. chasing village girls? grin

he he he he he grin . That's a good one. Come to think of it, there are a lot of village looking naija girls here he he he.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by bawomolo(m): 3:38pm On Oct 29, 2009
davidif:

he he he he he grin . That's a good one. Come to think of it, there are a lot of village looking naija girls here he he he.

no comment grin
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 6:20pm On Oct 29, 2009
I will comment wink

you mean in the US? or in naija?, well in the former, Man I haven't like met any straight up from naija girl- here like I mean straight from the African bush  grin. All the ones I have met are either the kids of ambassadors/politicians (part-time nigerians) who are very sophisticated I can say, but who dont want to associate with village boy like me with my thick accent and the fact that i still use the word "you know sha".

But as Dbanj says when the money starts rolling, they will follow you  grin

1 Like

Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 6:11pm On Oct 30, 2009
SEFAGO:

I will comment wink

you mean in the US? or in naija?, well in the former, Man I haven't like met any straight up from naija girl- here like I mean straight from the African bush grin. All the ones I have met are either the kids of ambassadors/politicians (part-time nigerians) who are very sophisticated I can say, but who dont want to associate with village boy like me with my thick accent and the fact that i still use the word "you know sha".

But as Dbanj says when the money starts rolling, they will follow you grin

I said village looking girls and not village girls as in a huge amount of them are not attractive at allllllllllllll.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 8:44pm On Oct 30, 2009
I said village looking girls and not village girls as in a huge amount of them are not attractive at allllllllllllll.

man there are some hot nigerians girls you just have to know the right ones. The ones who lived all their lives in VI/Ikoyi/London and who have grown beautiful on the stolen wealth of nigeria as a result of their pot-bellied politician fathers. Those are the ones you should be looking for
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 9:02pm On Oct 30, 2009
SEFAGO:

man there are some hot nigerians girls you just have to know the right ones. The ones who lived all their lives in VI/Ikoyi/London and who have grown beautiful on the stolen wealth of nigeria as a result of their pot-bellied politician fathers. Those are the ones you should be looking for

Me?? date the child of an aristocrat? abeg no o shocked. They are just as snubbish and condescending as there parents who feel that the world belongs to them. Some of them are just as mean as there big "yanshed" fat mothers.

Also, i don't know whether you are in the UK but the quality of naija girls here is sooooooo very poor, i guess its because they are all from a specific strata of society (the upper class).
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 10:06pm On Oct 30, 2009
Also, i don't know whether you are in the UK but the quality of naija girls here is sooooooo very poor, i guess its because they are all from a specific strata of society (the upper class).

i thot u were in the US? well the ones in the UK i dont know anything about- but i have met lot of nigerian girls who went to secondary school in the UK and came to school in the US. They are quality to quote olu maintain
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 8:47pm On Oct 31, 2009
SEFAGO:

i thot u were in the US? well the ones in the UK i dont know anything about- but i have met lot of nigerian girls who went to secondary school in the UK and came to school in the US. They are quality to quote olu maintain

I'm in the US and not the UK, i thought you were in the UK based on some of your comments i've read.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 9:20pm On Oct 31, 2009
lol, no man. That's funny though since i dont like the UK
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 11:10am On Nov 04, 2009
http://www.whartonafricaforum.com/

This was one of the conferences I was talking about
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by candylips(m): 11:17am On Nov 04, 2009
SEFAGO:

lol, no man. That's funny though since i dont like the UK

uk is a fucking expensive place men
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 3:34am On Nov 07, 2009
SEFAGO:

Why the questions?

I see! Do you?  grin grin grin grin grin

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Anyway,

http://www.cnbc.com/id/27767506
http://www.articlesbase.com/education-articles/is-mba-worth-the-money-spent-on-it-855331.html
http://www.everyjoe.com/articles/is_an_mba_worth/comment-page-1/

I have observed, over and over again, that some of these guys miss out a point in their calculations: Your school fees is in full but your salary is taxed.

So if you pay $50K for your MBA, that is $50K straight. If you make $50K extra (on top of your pre-MBA salary) it will be taxed at 40% by the government (depending on country). Hence only $30K can go towards your loan (that is acquiring interest by the way).

So I think the CNBC guy is a bit wrong about how many years it would take to repay the MBA. I would say add 2 or 3 more years to that 6.3 years.

On average, it would cost anything between $250K to $320K to do an MBA in a top school (i.e. tuition fees + Cost of living + Missed earnings for 2 years).

But I guess he missed out Bonus earnings on the job (this should be calculated at the extra made over what would have been made pre-MBA) and signing on bonus normally paid to majority (about 75%, 3 in 4) of MBA grads, on average lets generously say $20K (after taxed).

They also earn on average $8K per month on placements for 3 months per year, i.e. $48K (tax not yet factored in, probably would be circa $32K).

But the reports supports most of my previous arguments:

- MBA is becoming pure water even at the top schools as they increase class sizes to milk more from the willing (Harvard now robs over 900 of the grateful willing per year from less than 400 one decade ago, I guess they wouldn't be the glossy and hallowed Harvard if they did not spot an obvious money-making opportunity  undecided)
- The cost of a MBA has risen astronomically over the last decade (when it was, no doubt, a fantastic idea to get one) but salary offers increase on pre-MBA figures is marginal, hence eroding its worth
- Only the top high finance and consulting firms would really pay enough to reduce payback period but they would work you to the bone (this is after the 2 years of rigorous work getting the MBA itself and the silly series of interviews to go through to get a top job), for me, there are better ways to achieve in, and still enjoy, life
- Jump at it if you are not paying for it yourself or you need to change careers
- You can learn stuff by reading the books
- It depends on your stage and direction (S&grin) in life: if you are at the wrong S&grin then it may be worth it, if you are at the right S&grin don't bloody waste your time. Remember MBA is not only about the astronomical cost, it is also about the stupendous studying stress to get one (which if I was to monetise, would come to another one years salary) excluding doing the GMAT, Essays (4 is required when applying to Harvard, 11 for IMD  cheesy), Acceptance Interview, requesting top recommendations from you higly placed acquintances (you apparently need to be recommended, in this scheme, to get ripped off), so think carefully if you need one as alot of talented people achieve as much without one and the $300K cost
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 8:48am On Nov 07, 2009
Bad time to be leaving MBA at the moment with as much as 2 in 10 not getting a job within 3 months (that is zero income and accummulating interest on debt) and on average 30% getting no sign-on bonus.

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/content/oct2009/bs20091029_862211.htm
http://images.businessweek.com/ss/09/10/1029_best_and_worst_mba_job_placement/index.htm

But bargain MBA though:

http://www.businessweek.com/bschools/rankings/full_time_mba_profiles/byu.html
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by davidif: 6:43am On Nov 23, 2009
sagamite, iwo ati tani lo ma lo BYU?? Do you know that utah is in the middle of nowhere and that the girls are just as good looking as british girls grin
Abeg o, no be me and you dey go Brigham Young, its not as if its in salt lake city itself, instead its in some town like Provo, that's enough to scare me away. Once i leave the midwest, i am going to the east coast or west coast. The only place in the midwest i can stay is probably Chicago but that's about it. As boring as the state i am in is, i can't even begin to fathom going to a UTAH OF ALL PLACES shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.
Now having said all that, Utah is a probably a great place for married people and its also a great place to raise a family. Also, another factor i can't imagine going to BYU is that it is a private school and private schools are usually very expensive. Some of the best universities in America are VERY CHEAP like UC Berkeley, Georgia Tech, and the University of Virginia. There MBA programs (especially that of berkeley and Virginia) easily stack up well with Wharton's, the Northwestern's and the Stanfords. In fact in some rankings UVA is supposed to be the second best MBA program in the country.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by SEFAGO(m): 2:24pm On Nov 23, 2009
UC Berkeley, Georgia Tech, and the University of Virginia. There MBA programs (especially that of berkeley and Virginia) easily stack up well with Wharton's, the Northwestern's and the Stanfords

These school actually charge fees quite similar to those of private schools for their professional programs and definitely for business. I know UVA and Berkeley do- did u hear of the tuition hike in California embarassed, that state is dead
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 3:04pm On Nov 25, 2009
davidif:

sagamite, iwo ati tani lo ma lo BYU?? Do you know that utah is in the middle of nowhere and that the girls are just as good looking as british girls grin
Abeg o, no be me and you dey go Brigham Young, its not as if its in salt lake city itself, instead its in some town like Provo, that's enough to scare me away. Once i leave the midwest, i am going to the east coast or west coast. The only place in the midwest i can stay is probably Chicago but that's about it. As boring as the state i am in is, i can't even begin to fathom going to a UTAH OF ALL PLACES shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked shocked.
Now having said all that, Utah is a probably a great place for married people and its also a great place to raise a family. Also, another factor i can't imagine going to BYU is that it is a private school and private schools are usually very expensive. Some of the best universities in America are VERY CHEAP like UC Berkeley, Georgia Tech, and the University of Virginia. There MBA programs (especially that of berkeley and Virginia) easily stack up well with Wharton's, the Northwestern's and the Stanfords. In fact in some rankings UVA is supposed to be the second best MBA program in the country.

You dey slack o!

You are going to pass on the only place in the US that still respects the man's right and the good-ol'-days of having multiple women? grin

That said, you will be more able to focus in that wilderness as well.

Which city/state are you currently in?
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by funkygirl: 7:59pm On Nov 28, 2009
davidif
funkygirl
I also forgot to tell you to apply to University of Pennsylvania for an MBA, ther program is the best in the world (yes, even better than Harvard).
[quote][/quote]
thanks davidif,i think i will just relax and concentrate on my job for now so as to score a high score in my GMAT
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by TexMex: 11:25pm On Nov 28, 2009
funkygirl:

davidif
funkygirl

thanks davidif,i think i will just relax and concentrate on my job for now so as to score a high score in my GMAT

How will concentrating on your job enable you to do well in GMAT? For promotion, Yes. But for GMAT, the correlation is slim (except if your job is analytical in nature). Yeah, concentrate on your job but don't depend on it as your only weapon. GMAT takes ardent preparation. Once made the mistake of underrating GMAT. I was gunning for a dual-degree. Did excellently well in GRE which made me think I was too good. Sat for GMAT a few weeks later and made a score of 580. I had to do it again before I achieved the score I needed, but by then it was too late. The schools I applied to had to make their decision and on the strength of the GMAT result they had with them, I was denied admission to the business school.
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by Sagamite(m): 11:55pm On Nov 28, 2009
TexMex:

How will concentrating on your job enable you to do well in GMAT? For promotion, Yes. But for GMAT, the correlation is slim (except if your job is analytical in nature). Yeah, concentrate on your job but don't depend on it as your only weapon. GMAT takes ardent preparation. Once made the mistake of underrating GMAT. I was gunning for a dual-degree. Did excellently well in GRE which made me think I was too good. Sat for GMAT a few weeks later and made a score of 580. I had to do it again before I achieved the score I needed, but by then it was too late. The schools I applied to had to make their decision and on the strength of the GMAT result they had with them, I was denied admission to the business school.

Is one judged by the number of attempts at the GMAT by the top business schools?
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by TexMex: 12:11am On Nov 29, 2009
Sagamite:

Is one judged by the number of attempts at the GMAT by the top business schools?

Some schools frown at multiple attempts of the GMAT. In my case, I got the result same day I did the exam. And since the score wasn't flattering, I wanted to register to re-do it the following week. I was told that I 'd to wait for up to a month before attempting it again. While waiting to re-write the exam, the business school deliberated on applicants and turned me down. Though they didn't say precisely the reason I was refused, I knew within me that my GMAT was key. With a score of 580 when other candidates were averaging 700, not even GEORGE 'dubya' BUSH could help me (not as if I asked him. But that's the pun).
Re: The Best Business Schools In The World by funkygirl: 6:33pm On Nov 29, 2009
well,right now there is nothing i can do, i'm thinking of writing another GMAT next year cos i didnt get the score i wanted.maybe i will even try to do without the GMAT to secure an admission. but for now i dont know

(1) (2) (3) ... (9) (10) (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (Reply)

Our Issues Not Fully Addressed: ASUU Suspends 8-month Old Strike / Why You Will Have A LOW CGPA In First Year / Olumide Akinyemi Bags First Class From Finnish University, Graduates As The Best

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.