Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,860 members, 7,810,287 topics. Date: Saturday, 27 April 2024 at 05:41 AM

Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says - Politics - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says (24051 Views)

Power Failure: Fashola Gets 30-day Ultimatum To Revive Power Sector Or Resign / Sango, The god Of Lightening, Can't Produce 1KW Of Electricity - Fashola Says / Fashola: I Said Power Assets Were LEGALLY, Not ILLEGALLY, Sold (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by ijustdey: 6:53am On Jun 01, 2016
The Federal Government and labour agreed yesterday that the power sector was illegally privatised but they differed on how to redress the “illegality.”

Labour leaders are demanding for the cancellation of the sale and reversal of 45 percent increase in tariff effected in February.

However, the government said though it agreed the deal was fraudulent there were legal issues that might make it impossible to reverse the sale.

Speaking at a Senate public hearing on the electricity tariff yesterday, Minister of Power, Works and Housing, Babatunde Fashola, said government’s interests were illegitimately sold to some private businesses.

“As a minister, I inherited a power sector where government’s interests have been illegally sold and, therefore, I don’t control how power is distributed.”
On the electricity tariff increase, the minister said that the tariff could not be reversed.

“The DISCOS made it very clear to us that if we did not give them the market reflective tariff it means that government would have to carry the continuing cost that accumulated in the region of about a trillion naira.
“The tariff was increased in 2015 and then reversed because of the electoral significance. But the debts that they created were not reversed and they continued to accrue into this administration.

“We are not insensitive to Nigerians, owing to their challenges. We were looking for the best way to solve what has become an over 60-year problem, since 1950, when TCN was first created. I guess tariffs may initially look excessive but when we count and measure the down times and how much time is lost when there is no sustainable electricity and measure them against the expectation of sustained electricity overtime, perhaps it would seem cheaper.”

Fashola, who admitted that power supply in the country had not significantly improved, said confidence had been restored in the sector.

“Yes, service hasn’t improved but confidence has come into the system. Like you have the Nigerian Communication Commission (NCC) in the telecommunication industry, NERC is for us in the power sector.” In his remarks, Anthony Akah, the acting chairman of NERC, said it was not possible to reverse the tariff.

“The review of the tariff is possible but its reversal is not,” he said.

“The tariff was essential and meant to trigger the necessary investment in the sector. The hike in the tariff was not different from what is happening in other sectors of the economy,” he added.

In his submission, the General Secretary of the National Union of Electricity Employees (NUEE), Comrade Joe Ajaero, said that the privatisation of the power sector was not properly done and must, therefore be reversed.

Also speaking, the representatives of the Trade Union Congress (TUC), Chris Okonkwo, said that the power sector was better off before its privatisation.
He said that the investors in the power sector lacked the technical expertise and finance to turn around the sector.

He said: “Consumers are bearing the brunt of the inefficiencies of the investors. We, at the TUC, are of the opinion that tariff increase was not the solution to the problems of the power sector.”

Former Vice President AtikuAbubakar had in April last year advised then president-elect Muhammad Buhari (Rtd) to reverse the privatisation exercise of the power sector.

Atiku spoke at the 36th Kaduna International Trade Fair’s Seminar organised by the Kaduna Chamber of Commerce, Mines and Agriculture (KADCCIMA). He said the Obasanjo-led administration sunk billions of dollars into the sector, but failed to address the problem of the power sector.

The Senate had in February asked NERC to halt the 45 percent increment, following the outcry that trailed it.
The Senate Leader, Ali Ndume (APC-Borno South), recently called for the revisiting of the privatisation process and its possible revocation.

Speaking with reporters in Abuja Ndume said the Nigeria Electricity Regulatory Commission had no reason to increase the tariff.

The senator said the companies bought the nation’s electricity infrastructure for almost nothing and rather than investing in them, were calling for hike in tariff.
He said: “These people took over these companies for peanuts and they have not invested. I have not seen how they will just come and be charging people indiscriminately like that.

“This is not a competitive market where you say the market forces determine the price. They just want to take advantage of Nigerians. I am against that completely. In fact, I am against the privatisation completely.”

http://www.dailytrust.com.ng/news/general/power-sector-illegally-sold-fashola-says/149249.html

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by Feranchek(m): 6:55am On Jun 01, 2016
Hmmm
Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by klassykute(m): 6:59am On Jun 01, 2016
quaekay

1 Like

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by Burger01(m): 6:59am On Jun 01, 2016
PDP and Jonathan... Una see your life undecided

40 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by Abeymills(m): 7:00am On Jun 01, 2016
Hehen c dis minister of darkness don begin his own lies n style of dodging is incompetency d past minister under gudluck never gave all dis execuses yet Nigeria generated enough power until u n ur dullard clueless president of darkness bubuhari came in2 power jst remember there will always b a day of reckoning yeye govt of lies n propaganda

109 Likes 15 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by Burger01(m): 7:01am On Jun 01, 2016
[s]
Abeymills:
Hehen c dis minister of darkness don begin his own lies n style of dodging is incompetency d past minister under gudluck never gave all dis execuses yet Nigeria generated enough power until u n ur dullard clueless president of darkness bubuhari came in2 power jst remember there will always b a day of reckoning yeye govt of lies n propaganda
[/s] Total rubbish undecided

107 Likes 6 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by coldsummer: 7:03am On Jun 01, 2016
fashola should just shut up and bury his head in shame for making Nigerians pay exorbitant prices for a service they don't get.

not had light in my area in like two weeks. very low voltage that can't carry anything.

ugly on the outside, ugly on the inside

109 Likes 12 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by MisterGrace: 7:04am On Jun 01, 2016
That's true. Else, how can one explain the concept sinking tens of billion into the sector that was sold for chicken change?

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by luvinhubby(m): 7:09am On Jun 01, 2016
And Tinubu bought part of it ?

43 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by nzeobi(m): 7:09am On Jun 01, 2016
We want to hear when power will to a reasonable extent be stable.
You should not be bordered because nothing is done legally in Nigeria. cry

1 Like

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by otukpo(f): 7:10am On Jun 01, 2016
Fashola continues with his excuses for failure.

This power was better before you came in.

If the sector has become rocket science for you, just resign honourably and allow someone that has the expertise to handle it.

70 Likes 4 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by LessNoise: 7:22am On Jun 01, 2016
All I want is light after all these grammar...... I take God beg una Abi is it too much to ask

9 Likes

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by LessNoise: 7:23am On Jun 01, 2016
All I want is light after all these grammar...... I take God beg una Abi is it too much to ask cry

1 Like

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by Jesusloveyou: 7:26am On Jun 01, 2016
luvinhubby:
ur ineffectual buffoon finish us, his wickedness is highly saTANic, sold us to his cronies

16 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by otokx(m): 7:33am On Jun 01, 2016
coldsummer:
fashola should just shut up and bury his head in shame for making Nigerians pay exorbitant prices for a service they don't get.

not had light in my area in like two weeks. very low voltage that can't carry anything.

ugly on the outside, ugly on the inside

The low current is in some parts of Aluu but it appears it is transformer related.
Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by Jesusloveyou: 7:44am On Jun 01, 2016
otukpo:
Fashola continues with his excuses for failure. This power was better before you came in.
If the sector has become rocket science for you, just resign honourably and allow someone that has the expertise to handle it.
is that d reason ur ineffectual buffoon wickedly sold us to his cronies? he sold bedc to pej, so tell me why pmb should not reverse d sales of bedc, and tell me why i should not stone ur ineffectual buffoon

11 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by moshmusth(m): 8:26am On Jun 01, 2016
Nothing from the previous administration was legal and lawful except for the election.

4 Likes

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by onitaja(m): 8:47am On Jun 01, 2016
luvinhubby:
I wonder about peoples reasoning at times. Exactly which part of Nepa did Tinubu buy during a PDP government sale.

18 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by sanandreas(m): 8:48am On Jun 01, 2016
Perform and not blame. Nigerians need light and not whom it was sold for.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by jazinogold(m): 9:03am On Jun 01, 2016
grin

one year after the blame game continues..... lipsrsealed

19 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by kingphilip(m): 9:04am On Jun 01, 2016
Fashola, who admitted that power supply in the country had not significantly improved, said confidence
had been restored in the sector.

Thanks for accepting that your over six months in office was a waste..

Please get to work we know that there's enough rot in the system and that's why you were trusted with the responsibility of fixing it

So Mister honorable minister what are you plans on fixing this mess

10 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by FolabiCash: 9:04am On Jun 01, 2016
shocked
Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by ZoggingMaster: 9:04am On Jun 01, 2016
Oga pls do something and stop the blame game you started when you were in Lagos. Now you are among the Federal Executives... Pls WORK

11 Likes 1 Share

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by grin88(m): 9:04am On Jun 01, 2016
When u try to chew more than what u can bite #elenu

1 Like

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by Nobody: 9:05am On Jun 01, 2016
i dunno what to say tho.
they've bin treating us well Dis side

#sipsHypo
Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by fingard02k(m): 9:05am On Jun 01, 2016
ok
Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by MrCow(m): 9:05am On Jun 01, 2016
what do You expect?

he is an APC member na, he'll always have his way around issues
Fashola!!!
Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by MadCow1: 9:05am On Jun 01, 2016
We all know this..

The Privatization exercises in Nigeria have all been a scam.

The owners of these assets after privatization are the same people that mismanged and ran them into the ground.

4 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by olaolulazio(m): 9:05am On Jun 01, 2016
Influential BABOON!

1 Like 1 Share

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by mccoy47(m): 9:05am On Jun 01, 2016
Stories stories stories! Give us results naaa!
It's 1 year gone already! !!! angry

3 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Power Sector Illegally Sold, Fashola Says by yomalex(m): 9:05am On Jun 01, 2016
That's the crux

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

UN Suspends Operations In Nigeria After Boko Haram Surprise Attack / Dino Melaye Reacts To Onochie's Rejection (Video) / NNPC Withheld N824.7 Billion Oil Revenue In 6 Months Of Buhari’s Govt

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 28
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.