Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,841 members, 7,851,843 topics. Date: Thursday, 06 June 2024 at 09:05 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (117) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (818753 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:40pm On Oct 29, 2007
@ yodiyokun,
you have spoken wisely!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 8:58pm On Oct 29, 2007
yodiyokun:

@Iwerebor,

I am tempted - seriously tempted ! but naah I refuse to stoop so low to your level.

However, I will set the record straight.

I think the regulars on this thread will agree with me that it was noted here severally the WEMA IS RISKY BUSINESS.

It was dissected and mutilated several times over and everyone took their own stand.

For the most part, the folks here are not lazy bones angry - most people contribute intelligently one way or another, and I really do not think anyone here makes a buy decision on the price.

And no one here made predictions on WEMA price in the range of 20's - they wan steal am.

Finally, you do not have a right to talk to anyone here in such condescending manner, and are you telling us almighty @Iwerebor that you have not made one investment mistake in all your time on NSE.
angry

I implore you with the mercies of God, If you have no words of wisdom, keep your foolishness to yourself.

We did not ask for your opinion!!!!

@all have I spoken well?

Hello Yodiyokun,

YOU HAVE SPOKEN WELL .THANK GOD WE HAVE AN IRON LADY LIKE YOU ON NAIRALAND. GOD BLESS YOU.

tonyjon.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 8:59pm On Oct 29, 2007
Hey Yodi
Howdy?
I got to know about stocks in the middle of this year. I was at a crossroad then. I had a million Nigerian Naira in hand but zero idea on what to do with it in terms of growing it. I got really scared to see the influence of money on a man's behavior. It is as if there is a voice that screams one deaf to buy stuff. If you have such money, you won't be eating for instance because you are hungry, you would want to eat for pleasure, the taste. I hope you know the cost of that on your health.

This is the situation that led me to start asking people how money is made with money. Many people didn't know. I got so fed up searching and asking that NOSPECTO and co seemed like a sanctuary but I am a Christian. I didn't like the fact that many questions didn't have an answer as to the goings on in there. The place had too many shadows.

I will save you so much detail by fast forwarding to when I got in here.NAIRALAND. There is something about a name.
Hey, I can't finish this story tonight, so I will hit the nail dead on the head.
I have learnt some lessons: keep stuff simple. Never argue with sense. Never shout it down.
Don't gamble. Ever! don't play roulette, certainly not with money.
Every nation has a founding father.
Every building has a foundation.
Every market has it's fundamentals
Every company does.
If you seek to build wealth on a company without one
What will happen when the wind comes howling, or the storm rages?
Same thing that happens to a pack of cards.
Transcorp fell and fell and fell, Where it stopped or hit ground is it's fundamental.
That's really where the tower hould have sprouted from not in the fluffy clouds.
Sorry Yodi, don't mean any insensitivity
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 9:07pm On Oct 29, 2007
And no one here made predictions on WEMA price in the range of 20's - they wan steal am.

And I didn't say anyone did.
Price multiple is not the same as price. It's a ratio (PE). PE ratio of 20 at wema's trailing FY EPS of 25k. I am saying that's a generous offer to make cos that's what a buyer is doing when he offers to buy at N5.

Sorry Yodi, I can see you are reading this with tears in your eyes. Must be affecting the vision.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 9:22pm On Oct 29, 2007
@Yodiyokun

Great response, thank you!

No need for anymore responses to that dude.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:34pm On Oct 29, 2007
@Yodiyokun - Thank you for the response.

If investments are based only on trailing PE one will not do very well in any market.

The abiity to see a company that will move from trailing PE of 40 to 10 is the wisdom in investing.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:40pm On Oct 29, 2007
Iwerebor:

Hey Yodi
Howdy?
I got to know about stocks in the middle of this year. I was at a crossroad then. I had a million Nigerian Naira in hand but zero idea on what to do with it in terms of growing it. I got really scared to see the influence of money on a man's behavior. It is as if there is a voice that screams one deaf to buy stuff. If you have such money, you won't be eating for instance because you are hungry, you would want to eat for pleasure, the taste. I hope you know the cost of that on your health.

This is the situation that led me to start asking people how money is made with money. Many people didn't know. I got so fed up searching and asking that NOSPECTO and co seemed like a sanctuary but I am a Christian. I didn't like the fact that many questions didn't have an answer as to the goings on in there. The place had too many shadows.

I will save you so much detail by fast forwarding to when I got in here.NAIRALAND. There is something about a name.
Hey, I can't finish this story tonight, so I will hit the nail dead on the head.
I have learnt some lessons: keep stuff simple. Never argue with sense. Never shout it down.
Don't gamble. Ever! don't play roulette, certainly not with money.
Every nation has a founding father.
Every building has a foundation.
Every market has it's fundamentals
Every company does.
If you seek to build wealth on a company without one
What will happen when the wind comes howling, or the storm rages?
Same thing that happens to a pack of cards.
Transcorp fell and fell and fell, Where it stopped or hit ground is it's fundamental.
That's really where the tower hould have sprouted from not in the fluffy clouds.
Sorry Yodi, don't mean any insensitivity

I think I now have a better understanding if 1 million naira can influence your behaviour.

If the fact that you are a christian is the only thing that turned you away from NOSPECTO then you must be one smart investor.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 10:12pm On Oct 29, 2007
@ iwerebor ,

please leave insults out of your posts here.this space is for respectable people willing to share the knowledge and experience. the fact that some of us INVEST our time to read, learn , contribute and share ideas here should tell you this is not a space to trade insults. You mentioned that you got to know about stocks 6 MONTHS AGO . Well , i imagine you still have a lot to learn and i mean A LOT . Some guys here have been investing much longer and THEY ALL LIMIT AND LEARN FROM THEIR MISTAKES , you would do well to learn from their mistakes rather than characterizing generous people here as" lazy bones ". I will tell you i was a beginner like you some months ago ,but i have learned more in last months than 4 years at university. And the PRACTICAL KWOWLEDGE AND EXPERIENCE PEOPLE SHARE HERE IS INVALUABLE. Being an investor for 6 months dont confer you with the credentials to call nobody names. Having said that , you have made a mistake and you should learn from it. Happy investing.

@others

lets move on, stuff like this is going to happen when someone falls out of order. lets get on with more productive stuff.

@ yodiyokun

ma binu ! coolu temper !!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 10:18pm On Oct 29, 2007
pumping777:

@Yodiyokun - Thank you for the response.

If investments are based only on trailing PE one will not do very well in any market.

The abiity to see a company that will move from trailing PE of 40 to 10 is the wisdom in investing.

I take it you have seen the potential in Wema has been delayed and not denied (to paraphrase the preachers  grin). I've cancelled my sell order. Even though I'm over-exposed to Wema bank, March is only 5 months away. Let's see what they do from now. After all, I sold AP after the measly YE results. Doubled since,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nazzyon(m): 10:21pm On Oct 29, 2007
One Security I regret buying is WEMA
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 10:57pm On Oct 29, 2007
looks like i would ride with it,

thanks all for your comments,

even iwerebor, thank you

kudos to yodiyokun
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by krisbobo(m): 12:03am On Oct 30, 2007
@NBA, pumping777, barge, Tmoni and all other gurus

Thank God you guys said we should not respond to that iwereboe person if not I was going to ask who opened the gate and allowed the goat into the yard. But since you say we should not respond to him then I will not say anything.

E ku i se jare.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hispy99(m): 12:23am On Oct 30, 2007
Yep, I am riding this WEMA horse till I see either their interim result or FYE 2007.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:45am On Oct 30, 2007
Enough distraction by Wema. The journey continues jare,

I'm battling with another result released today,

---
TRANS NATIONWIDE EXPRESS PLC

UNAUDITED Q-1 RESULTS FOR THE PERIOD ENDED SEPTEMBER 30, 2007

PERIOD 2007 2006 ABSOLUTE CHANGE %CHANGE
TURNOVER (N'm) 287.16 209.08 78.08 37.3%
PBT (N'm) 53.73 34.79 18.95 54.5%
TAXATION (N'm) 9.50 6.50 3.00 46.2%
PAT (N'm) 44.23 28.29 15.95 56.4%
* Means Decrease & * Means Increase
Net Profit Margin 15.40% 13.53% 1.9%

Also looked for some history.

*TRANS-NATIONWIDE EXPRESS PLC:

Unaudited results for the third quarter ended 30th September 2006 show Turnover of N209.1 million, as against N119.63 million in the comparable period of 2005. Profit after tax stood at N28.3 million compared with N15.1 million in 2005.*
----

This is a very illiquid stock from my analysis. Does anyone know the outstanding shares in any case?

This company may be able to realize a FY PAT of 180 Million. The stock is trading at 78 Kobo.

I don't even want to print the numbers here,

The figure I have for outstanding shares is 132,546,509. Am I missing something here.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gidij(m): 2:06am On Oct 30, 2007
Oceanic, Oceanic, Who knows what is killing their shares? From =N= 34 last week to =N= 28 this week. Please help I have a nest full of eggs there.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Gidij(m): 2:10am On Oct 30, 2007
Pumpin,
Any news about Oceanic? calling from Michigan
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 2:33am On Oct 30, 2007
Gidij:

Oceanic, Oceanic, Who knows what is killing their shares? From =N= 34 last week to =N= 28 this week. Please help I have a nest full of eggs there.

Share certificates are being expected around this time for those that bought during the last PO for Oceanic. Due to the oversubscription which was absorbed this is a heavy dilution of shares and the anticipation could be bringing down the prices.

These investors have a nice profit margin even at current prices. In today's bear market this will be considered too good to pass by. Many will sell and this will pull the price downwards.

However note that Oceanic is expected to announce robust results for the last fiscal year which is rumoured to be well ahead of expectations. Which will have more weight? We have to wait to see. 

Though I stay on the side of the dilution having more weight, it does not make much sense to sell before the results are released except you have insider info. If you have, share with me jare grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bibiking1(m): 5:08am On Oct 30, 2007
pumping777:

---

Unaudited results for the third quarter ended 30th September 2006 show Turnover of N209.1 million, as against N119.63 million in the comparable period of 2005. Profit after tax stood at N28.3 million compared with N15.1 million in 2005.*
----

This is a very illiquid stock from my analysis. Does anyone know the outstanding shares in any case?

This company may be able to realize a FY PAT of 180 Million. The stock is trading at 78 Kobo.

The figure I have for outstanding shares is 132,546,509. Am I missing something here.

what do they deal on?
how do their fundamentals spell out?

will do some check up on them anyway

thanks Pumpin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ugodav(m): 5:49am On Oct 30, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians
« #3671 on: Yesterday at 07:41:32 AM »

Quote from: ugodav on Yesterday at 07:15:16 AM
hi to the Gurus
stocks investments is fast becoming time sensitive and information reliant. can anyone kindly recommend a very good and effective source of information or website that meets this challenge. A site that can provide correct and prompt market data, portfolio management tool, companies news and earnings report.
thanks

Nigeriansecurities.com

THANKS BIBIKING, ITS A FINE SITE, USEFUL.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:35am On Oct 30, 2007
Where do I start from? Let em start from WEMA.

Bought WEMA early this year @ 3.50. Knew the risk I was taking. Sold 15% of the holdings in April and another 30% in July @ average price of 9.00 to buy First Bank. That way, I locked in some profit. Recovered my capital and still position myself for better things.

October, sold some Oceanic @33.00 (need to lock profits. Bought at 6.60 some 15months ago), and bought WEMA @ 8.62 last week Monday. Well, within 4days, made over 20% which was a good exit point for me.

What am I trying to say, once you understand the risk, you can edge against it and still make a profit. It is suicidal not understanding and APPRECIATING the risk involved.

I've always seeing WEMA as a BUY (still do), but I also understand the risk. I knew that the possibility of this kind of report is high. I however also know that the FUTURE is good for WEMA.

For those that bought at a high price (especially with margin facility) get out NOW!!!!! You cannot afford to 'watch' your portfolio drop anyhow. Note however that it will be difficult to get a buyer!!!!! You've not made a 'loss' until you sell anyway!

For those that are in it for the LONG TERM, ride the storm. WEMA will come good. Worst case scenario, get out just before they go on Technical suspension.

With their gross earnings, remove the excess provisions to clean their books and you will be talking of an EPS of about 60k which with a PE of 20 makes 12.00 a fair value.

What most are reacting to now is HISTORY. Focus should be on the FUTURE. If there are no bad loans to write off again, no excess provisions, steady growth in earnigs, EPS of 90k at PE of 20, that means we are looking at a 18.00 stock in the next 12 months or threabout. So if the price falls to 6.00, buy MORE. Not because you wnat to average down, but because you are buying at a discount!!!!!!! While history is important, note that past performance (BAD) is not a guarantee for FUTURE (BAD) peformance.

People should take heart. But I can't help but thank WEMA for helping me thus far cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 7:44am On Oct 30, 2007
pumping777:

---

----

That to me is a stock to buy!!! Being shouting about it since. Placed order with my broker for ages, but no show. Even sent someone on Nairaland to strike a deal with one of the staff who own shares there still no luck! So what can I do?

They are set to do a RIGHTS and after that a PO. When you see things lines up like that, expect a windfall even if it is only for the short/medium term.

If you get to buy, just give me 10 units that will qualify me for the right. Will take it up from there.

Anyone watching the free fall of IBTC
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by KDK(m): 9:08am On Oct 30, 2007
As far as I am concerned, IBTC lack the fundamentals for their current market price. They are over valued and as such I am not surpriced. I project they will stabilize at abt N14 by the end of November /early December, 2007.

What made M benefit fall so much? the price has been relatively stable for the past 3 months thoough. Can someone please tell me the prospects of this stock rising in the next 3 months? How is the management and do they have any feasible project?

What's up with NAHCO,What caused the sudden fall in share price as between 15th May and 16 May, 2007? Pardon my asking, like i said earlier, i have been out of touch.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:57am On Oct 30, 2007
KDK:

As far as I am concerned, IBTC lack the fundamentals for their current market price. They are over valued and as such I am not surpriced. I project they will stabilize at about N14 by the end of November /early December, 2007.

What made M benefit fall so much? the price has been relatively stable for the past 3 months thoough. Can someone please tell me the prospects of this stock rising in the next 3 months? How is the management and do they have any feasible project?

What's up with NAHCO,What caused the sudden fall in share price as between 15th May and 16 May, 2007? Pardon my asking, like i said earlier, i have been out of touch.

NAHCO was marked down for dividend an a 3 for 2 bonus.

IBTC is overvalued. Much more that it appears clear that Peterside has cashed out!!! He basically sold the company to Standard Bank.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iwerebor(m): 10:11am On Oct 30, 2007
I am sorry folks. I really didn't mean to hurt your feelings.
"Lazy bones" is the wrong choice of words.
The bank in question (Wema) actually did a brave thing now and I know they will bounce bank in future.

Tmoni: I admire your spirit. Your ought to be offended the most because you are heavily involved with the company but you you were gracious enough to say thank you. May God help you is what I can say.

Folks, There is another accident waiting to happen and it's called Ecobank. It's current position has little justification.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:25am On Oct 30, 2007
bibiking1:

what do they deal on?
how do their fundamentals spell out?

will do some check up on them anyway

thanks Pumpin

They are into courier and cargo services.

The fundamentals are bam.

One other thing I found out about them.  Akintunde Asalu is on the board which to me is a good thing.

http://tranex-ng.com/abouttranex_managers.htm
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 10:28am On Oct 30, 2007
@iwerebor.

Thats better.Please guys accept his apology and lets move on.the discourse on WEMA is the most emotional and spontaneous av seen in a long time on this thread. Thanks for the insights.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by iceman75(m): 10:42am On Oct 30, 2007
Hello all,
concerning IBTC, i think at =N=20 they might be overvalued but merging with the south african bank (rumoured as one of africa's biggest), i'm not a guru, so pls 4give, i think there should be light at the end of the tunnel when things settle. What do u guys think?

Pls has anyone got news about soverign insurance? its really giving me head-ache.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:44am On Oct 30, 2007
wanaj0:

That to me is a stock to buy!!! Being shouting about it since. Placed order with my broker for ages, but no show. Even sent someone on Nairaland to strike a deal with one of the staff who own shares there still no luck! So what can I do?

They are set to do a RIGHTS and after that a PO. When you see things lines up like that, expect a windfall even if it is only for the short/medium term.

If you get to buy, just give me 10 units that will qualify me for the right. Will take it up from there.

Anyone watching the free fall of IBTC

Will 10 units be sufficient to qualify for substantial rights? I thought allocation will be proportional to holding or is this in anticipation of investors that don't take up their rights?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by krisbobo(m): 10:47am On Oct 30, 2007
@ All

Pls o I will like some Trans Express too o!!! Whoever can get pls point me in the direcdtion.

Also I will like an aswer to KDK's question on Mbenefits. isnt this the right time to enter, seeing that price has fallen? And what are the stocks prospect in the nearest future, say 6mnths?

Thanks all.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 11:02am On Oct 30, 2007
SEC to introduce market makers.Learnt they will be intermediaries btwn stockbrokers and investors and will ensure availability of stocks during gluts.

Whats the relevance and consequence of such an inroduction?

http://www.vanguardngr.com/index.php?option=com_content&task=view&id=1139&Itemid=49
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by HayWhzl(m): 11:16am On Oct 30, 2007
iceman75:

Hello all,
concerning IBTC, i think at =N=20 they might be overvalued but merging with the south african bank (rumoured as one of africa's biggest), i'm not a guru, so please 4give, i think there should be light at the end of the tunnel when things settle. What do u guys think?

Please has anyone got news about soverign insurance? its really giving me head-ache.

hi guys can some one sheer more light on the IBTC and peterside cashing out, more light please.
@iwerebor
whats up wit ECOBANK, lite it up please.
have been considering TRANSCORP but this issue with the Federal Government is giving me concern. can i still get on the train undecided, thanks in anticipation of a good answer grin cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by krisbobo(m): 11:36am On Oct 30, 2007
@ Gurus

Pls am still waiting for answer to my Mbenefits question. I want to place an order now so will truly appreciate a responce: will this price loss continue? is it a good buy now? what are future prospects say in 6mnths to 1 year?

I'm also ordering for some crusader too.

Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (114) (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 91
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.