Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,192 members, 7,845,917 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 07:35 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (15) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (817919 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 1:00am On Apr 10, 2007
@Omoba
My point exactly. Do you have any gist on afroil? undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by K2: 2:10am On Apr 10, 2007
@Cheexy. I think the term long term as per Transcorp is not a blank check (as far I am concerned anyway). There should be a definite time frame. My money might as well be sitting in a fixed deposit or working for me in Govt backed securities.
A smart investor should know the exit strategy before making a trade to reduce risk and maximize profit. I think the trade should make sense to me now i.e it should fit into my overall long term financial plan. What if you bought more and the stock keeps tanking until it's worthless? Many investors in the dotcom era in the late 90s (in the U.S) had entire nest eggs wiped off when stocks they bought at over $300 a share went down all the way to 50 cents. More than 90% of the companies went out of business. The few that remained languished for years never again to reach a quarter of their previous highs. They were hoping for a rebound that never happened. We shouldn't throw caution to the wind but realize that the market is a two edged sword; part of being a better investor also involves knowing when to cut your losses and move on. Sometimes the best trades are the ones we don't make. 75 million units waiting to be dumped might mean one is holding the supposedly bag of gold when it already turned to sh*t.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by fbajomo: 2:11pm On Apr 10, 2007
has anyone got any insdie knowledge of Tripple gee, I have been looking at this company in the past few months and they seem to be doing quite well

have a look at this http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=2024

please if anyone has any information please let me know as I am quite interested
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SLEEKCHIC2(f): 4:27pm On Apr 10, 2007
Alright, its too late to cry over spilt milk. I happened to be one of those that bought transcorp from the sec market. I got into the country a few days before their tech suspension would be lifted and since i like taking risks, i bought it. High risks, high returns or high losses. I have started adding them to my prayer points.

Its bad cos i advised someone to invest in it too and now, alarm wan blow. Personally, i won't invest more cos I'm managing my losses, but i won't sell either. I'm keeping my fingers crossed and hoping for the best.

Meanwhile, the stock market is presently experiencing a bullish trend, but my advice is this, "know everything you can about a company before you invest". As my friend says,"bulls and bears make money, sheep get slaughtered". Don't follow the crowd like a sheep.

Meanwhile, does anyone know anything about grommac?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by justyn3x(m): 9:24pm On Apr 10, 2007
More sad news for transcorp:

BT Terminates Agreement with Transcorp
http://www.thenigeriabusiness.com/invest31.html

lipsrsealed shocked

I think this is when we start dumping right? cry
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 9:48pm On Apr 10, 2007
@ Cheexy - Re: Afroil, still looking as well.

@ SLEEK_CHIC - Does this help?
http://www.cashcraft.com/stockinfo.asp?Sec=GROMMAC
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dolami(m): 4:20pm On Apr 11, 2007
when will first bank be out?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:03pm On Apr 11, 2007
Please see the foolowing sites
First Bank applies to raise N99.3bn from capital market
http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20070411023465

Transcorp explains relationship with BT
http://punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007041023394942
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:09pm On Apr 11, 2007
By averaging down you are assuming that the market will eventually revalue the Transcorp and price it handsomely relative to other srtocks. There are too many other good buys available now for anyone to throw away the opportunity for immediate capital gain all in the name of averaging down.
My advice - Keep your holding in Transcorp at the present level.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by drtonyo(m): 8:21pm On Apr 11, 2007
Listen: Ladies and Gentlemen, if you want to be mega-rich, just buy some shares in TRANSCORP now before it is too late!!! who knows OBJ may assume it's chairmanship post handover.
By the way, the price of transcorp has been adjusted back to #9.71. GOODLUCK
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 8:54pm On Apr 11, 2007
@fbajomo, Tripple G was ideal as at 2 months ago when it was about 2 naira. During that time, it was very scarce due to the contract approval by CBN. It would be a bit difficult to get now except if short term investors have started dumping their holdings. and i don't think its current price is the best you could get it at.(thats just my opinion anyway). First bank was placed on technical suspension at 40.40. Transcorp investors, whatever you do, don't dump your shares now. Better days are on the way. Chellarams is a good buy but it is scarce. shocked Can't get my stockbroker to buy even a very little quantity.  I am reading a book "Beating the Streets" by Peter Lynch. He was in charge of a lot of mutual funds and has very good concepts so far. I recommend it to anyone who wants to gain more insight as it is very good for stock pickingcheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SLEEKCHIC2(f): 12:02am On Apr 12, 2007
Thanks Cheexy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 12:41pm On Apr 12, 2007
to all the gurus in the house, what looks attractive to buy,

looks like cornerstone is not doing too badly,

has the GTBank full year result come out?
cant seem to get any info on it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 2:00pm On Apr 12, 2007
Will get back to you on that. If you are in Nigeria, you can grab a copy of stockwatch magazine. You can get information on any stock you re interested in.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by fbajomo: 2:46pm On Apr 12, 2007
Guys, it has now been confirmed Dangote has bought NASCON, but the problem is the shares are very difficult to come by, it is currently trading at zbout 13 Naira, but this looks like a surefire 40 bucks stock, but to get it is the problem, those of you that have it, I advise not to dump it for now,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by fbajomo: 2:50pm On Apr 12, 2007
Guys, it has now been confirmed Dangote has bought NASCON, but the problem is the shares are very difficult to come by, it is currently trading at zbout 13 Naira, but this looks like a surefire 40 bucks stock, but to get it is the problem, those of you that have it, I advise not to dump it for now,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 3:59pm On Apr 12, 2007
been searching for nascon for over three weeks,
looks like my broker is "dull"

@cheexy-- is stockwatch available on the internet?
thanks 4 d info
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 5:42pm On Apr 12, 2007
That it has been confirmed that Dangote has bought NASCON should not on its own drive the price through the roof. It is important to look at the fundaentals of the company. Its current earnings and the prospect in the industry it is operating in
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Chionyins(m): 6:07pm On Apr 12, 2007
@frankiriri
yes thats true but then looking at the dangote group and since NASCON is now among that group gives all the indication for 'price jumping thru the roof' Dangote is the drive on that. Salt is essential also!they have also be steady and doing well on their own.Thats the market meeeen me sef tire!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 8:26pm On Apr 12, 2007
Oga Frankiriri, I agree with your comments on the fundamentals.
But, you yourself would have to concede that the repuatation of the CEO goes a long way to making it a valuable stock.
Look at Steve Jobs (Apple) - the products are not necessarily the case - efficient marketing understanding the atmosphere, and good reputation goes a long way to have the market follow you like Mumu/mugu, See the iPhone debut, stock flew from $85 to $95 in a day, when other manufacturers also have a very competitive product.
If i can get my hands on Nascon as well, it would not be a bad idea - all stocks are really a gamble, you never know what can happen tomorrow. But, some are better calculated risk than the other, like comparing Dangote Sugar IPO to Transcorps,

Lanre
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 9:49pm On Apr 12, 2007
@ savvylanre

I beg to disagree.
NO matter the reputation of the Manager if the company is in a mediocre in an industry withot potential the stock price will not move thgat much.
Why did cadbury not fall as much as people expected , Most of the fundamentals were still right. They still control the market and their price did not take a bashing. I have not reserached NASCON but from the feelers I have it was not going anywhere before Dangote bought it suddenly it moves from under N1 to N13 and people still think the stock will deliver. The only reason it will perform under those conditions is because of what is called the greater fool's theory. People buy knowing that the price is high but expecting that someone else will be a 'greater foo' and buy from them thus feeding the vicious cycle.
My take once again is that research the stock before commiting money. It is not just enough to know that saly sells what is their share of the market. what are Dangote's plans for coy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 10:18pm On Apr 12, 2007
some words of advice,

bottom line, whats your take on the nascon stock mr frank,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 6:23am On Apr 13, 2007
NASCON is good because the earnings of the dangote group will affect it positively. I started looking for the stock the day it was listed for as low as 5-6 naira and till now, it has not been available. Your stockbroker is not slack. It is just not available and that is one of the things that would keep driving the price of any stock higher. Apart from the earnings, it has driven dangote sugar higher and will drive the other company he wants to purchase higher (i have forgotten the name). The deal is that you just have to stay ahead of the game and invest wisely. I rememeber when i first heard about the probability that tripple gee was going to be approved by CBN to start printing cheques. Then the stock was doing between 1-2 naira, i kept on posting messages and i couldn't get my hands on it now it is doing between 5-6 and it is still scarce. You see, it is all about staying ahead.
@Tmoni
Stockwatch is not on the internet but you can grab it from the newstands or listen to star fm every morning between 8-9. Remember always read the fundamentals before buying anything and make sure you are not entering too late.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 7:14am On Apr 13, 2007
@ cheexy, thanks a lot.
i am not in the country at the moment but i will always wait 4 advises from you , Mr frank, egoldman and the other gurus in the house.

i bought some conoil some years back and the stock has woefully under-performed, my broker says we shoud bail out of there but the stock has been hovering about N70 where i bought it,
please whats your take or is Adenuga sleeping,
should not be a bad year after all,

cheers

i wonder what monday trading will be like
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:31am On Apr 13, 2007
Dangote group earnings will not affect the value of the stock.
However with Dangote's good distribution network he may be able to acheiive some major savings in cost but whetherv that will justify the price going through the roof is what I can say.
My take on NASCON is that get the financial statements and make a decision based on the facts therein and their future prospects.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pamit(m): 7:42am On Apr 13, 2007
, and shedding some lights on the Transcorp stock.

"The stock has been placed on suspension today. Information from the floor maintained that The technical suspension on TRANSCORP PLC was lifted in error due to the over-zealousness of a member of staff. It was said that the two weeks practice of lifting suspension does not apply to Initial Public Offer for Subscription (IPOS) and the technical suspension will be lifted on the day of listing, after the REGISTRAR has submitted the range of analysis and basis of allotment has been approved by the BOARD and SEC.", source Meristem
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 8:02am On Apr 13, 2007
Thanks for the transcorp info. GTB end of year is February. Pls keep your eyes on Chellerams. It is looking good. Anybody that gets it should alert us. I want to be sure that my stockbroker is not the only one that can't get it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gists: 9:10am On Apr 13, 2007
@Frank,
I read somewhere where you said one can buy shares with different derivatives of your name in order to avoid not being alloted the full shares subscribed for. The question is if we take UBA or 1stbank as an example. Being an existing shareholder (with just one version of my name) and want to buy more from multiple brokers (using different derivatives of my name) in these hybrid offers, is that possible without having to lose the benefit of the right issue and how?

@all,
WAPCO or BCC which would you go for? pls advice (give reasons)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 2:58pm On Apr 13, 2007
@Frankiriri
How can i argue with one of the Guru :-)
I totally accept that the Fundamentals are needed - Primarily Financials as well as others like economic situation, political and even technology used - not neglecting Porter's five forces (Buyers, Suppliers, rivals/competition etc) for the potential success of the company. - This is why i say better "calculated risk." (And cited an example of Transcorp vs Dangote Sugar).

I was only citing that reputation of CEO also goes a long way to the success of the company - and Dangote holds a good reputation with better potentials than anyone else to turn the company around, as you already said yourself, one is leveraging on existing Supply Channel, and that alone is a big area to get into the market.

Once again all hail Guru FrankIriri ;-)

Regards,
Lanre
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 4:48pm On Apr 13, 2007
all hail the GURU
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 5:30pm On Apr 13, 2007
Ha ha, Mr Frank the guru. Pls o, is Chellerams available or not available? Any stock broker in the house? I want to know if it is time to start switching or dumping stock brokers cos i hate laxity.

Guys, i was woken up by a call from someone that wanted info on my laptops and while i was trying to settle back into my long deserved sleep, a thought crossed my mind. "Does the explaination, that the technical suspension on transcorp was lifted by an overzealous employee hold water?", "Doesn't the lifting of the technical suspension have to be approved by so many managers and superiors?", "Was that a lie to cover the sale of some shares at lower prices to some big guns". or "Am i sleeping too much and exposed to so much sun, that my mind has started writing its own version of conspiracy theory, starring Transcorp, the big guns and the public?" undecided

I need your positions
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oshkosh(m): 6:07pm On Apr 13, 2007
No one can say for sure why this has happend, however, Transcorp has much to gain from a higher valuation of the company at this time, so it's unlikely that this devaluation was done deliberately.

The proposed strategic partership (perhaps with Alheri or Mubadala) will be based on specific valuation of the company. If that declines rapidly before the deal is finalized, it could put the entire deal in jeopardy, or place Transcorp at a strategic disadvantage.

I hear the DG of TransCorp was livid when she got back from her trip and discovered how this whole thing had been mis-managed in her absence. Only time will tell where this leads,

In spite of these "setbacks", I remain very positive on the long term viability and prospects of TransCorp.

(1) (2) (3) ... (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 63
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.