Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,163,852 members, 7,855,522 topics. Date: Monday, 10 June 2024 at 12:46 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (14) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (819288 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 7:43pm On Apr 03, 2007
Good luck with Transcorp

I avoided it like the plague, the way the company was set up didnt sit right with me
I wont be surprised if a can of worms situation is revealed soon

Even Dunlop seemed like a better buy

Remember the warning "the value of your stocks can go down as well as up"
Well, the company may even collapse like Enron

I suspect many people bought transcorp as a gamble

Hope it pays off
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by drtonyo(m): 9:13pm On Apr 03, 2007
Hi Guys,

Good news for those that bought transcorp. Mubadala , Alheri and others are trying to acquire M-TEL.

My advise is hold on to your shares for now ,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by sholahskwi: 1:50am On Apr 04, 2007
You guys are really thumbing it up over here.There is a stockbroking firm i do know of and trhey are very reliable Mutual Alliance Investment and Securities,try checking it up and tell me how it goes.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Dumsky(m): 3:36am On Apr 04, 2007
Stanchuks,
Here's the info you wanted. You copied it from the CSCS website page.

Dial-to any of these numbers:

01-2667498
01-2640083
01-2643939
01-2640085
01-4705113
01-4710441
If the connection is made, the phone will ring for about three (3) times after which you get a welcome message and instruction on how to proceed.

You will be asked to enter '1' (one) (through your handset) for individual account information

You will be asked to enter your account number and an asterisks (*) at the end

Next is your personal identification number (PIN)

If you are validated you will be asked to pick an option out of the following:
Specific equity balance -------- 1

All equities balances -------- 2

Change your PIN number -------- 9

Analysis of the three options
Specific Equity Balance

This affords you means of saving your valuable time by providing avenue to inquire on a specified symbol/security at a time.

After validation of your account and PIN numbers by the system enter 1 (one).

Enter the Identification Number of the symbol/security you desire (see list below)

Note that you can only inquire on a symbol/security within a telephone enquiry session.

All Equities Balances

After validation of your account and PIN numbers by the system;

Enter 2 (two)

The system responds by telling you balances in all symbol/securities you have inventories

Change your PIN Number

After validation of your account and the PIN number, you want changed;

Enter 9 (nine)

The system asks for new PIN number. Enter your new PIN number

The system asks for confirmation of your new PIN number. Re-confirm by entering the new PIN number the second time.

The system replies "PIN number successfully changed".

Note that the new PIN number must be used for the next access to the system.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Obamedo: 9:22am On Apr 04, 2007
How do you register for the CSCS service?

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dolami(m): 1:26pm On Apr 04, 2007
I have some few share, I will like to register
with CSCS. How do I go about it please
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 7:39pm On Apr 05, 2007
Gurus - what is the gist on DEAP IPO?
Briefly browsed through the prospectus - does anyone know why they had a huge loss in 2005?
Their projections look good - but can they deliver?
Whatabout affiliations with this other companies like DVCF - how does that add to the picture?

Cheers
Lanre
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 7:54pm On Apr 05, 2007
DEAP
They are a firm with stockbroking, securities and fund management as their core business
They also have interests in Oil & Gas, property, savings & loans.
They aim to raise about N800 million through an IPO of N2 per share

The onus is on DEAP to explain why they made a loss of N11 million in 2005 and how they recovered from their losses. Its not mentioned in their prospectus

If they can't explain that  loss how can they explain a projection of N193, 295 and 422 million in profit for 2007,8 and 9? rather ambitious i would say unless they are intending to put their newly acquired funds to hard work

More can be found in their prospectus, this is defintely one to be scrutinised closely.
N2 seems fair looking at the books but do't expect a quick profit just yet. 2007 is a crucial year for them

http://www.deapcapital.com/prospectus.doc
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kay9(m): 7:56pm On Apr 05, 2007
Abeg, i'm a fledgling investor - a green-horn infact. Please, PLEASE, can anyone tell me how to go about acquiring shares, buying stocks, and all that, u know, the whole works. my e-mail is kc_infiniti@yahoo.com. Halla back!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 7:59pm On Apr 05, 2007
Transcorps technical suspension was lifted today, surprise surprise the price immediately went down again.
Some people are obviously in a hurry to get out

remember to get out if you are not comfortable with the share price ( stop loss) and hold if you are brave and willing to wait
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 9:56am On Apr 06, 2007
How do you register for the CSCS service?

if u have bought some shares from during POs , then you would have to contact some stock broker and give them you shares certificates and they would register your account with cscs and those shares of urs would be credited to your cscs account ,you would be then be provided a cscs account number and also clearing house number .
after this you may be bale to call the automated numbers provided earlier on this thread abd be able to check you stocks , your account number would also be your pin number though u may have the option to change it during the automated call .
also when u got to the cscs http://www.cscsnigeria.com/index.php you would see that there is logging section there ,now you could register and be able to check same details of your account now online , but it would cos you about 2,500 niara and they don't yet accept online payment , you would have to go to cscsc office in lagos and pay the money then you online account would be activated and you would be able to see all your stocks online .
this is as much as i know about getting an account with cscs ,maybe the gurus would add more input .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 3:18am On Apr 08, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 10:08pm On Apr 08, 2007
Transcorp was not oversubscribed as initially reported. It can be deduced from info readily available. Consider that if the opposite was true, It would be all over the news. It would be news worthy.

On a much more gloomier note, as of the 5th of April, Trancorp was today lifted off technical suspension. The market was swamped with excessive supply volumes which sent its prices crashing to a maximum of 4.91%.

Currently, there is an excessive supply of approximately 75 millions units queued on the system waiting to be dumped at the next trading day.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Seun(m): 1:38am On Apr 09, 2007
I'm not surprised that Dangote shares are doing well. It's a company with real substance, real value.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Chionyins(m): 4:04am On Apr 09, 2007
HI ALL,
New to the thread , a new investor to niaja stocks too.
Keep it up all, I got invaluable tips n infor cheers

@NiajaFresh
How now? i am looking to gte the DEAP shares, read their props. Yah ? re their 2005 but it all seems good from my little knowledge for the long term, eh? Did you buy tthe shares.

@All i would like to know if anyone got the oceanic offer?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 4:24am On Apr 09, 2007
transcorp may not be a bad buy afteral ,those who are buying as the price crashes now may later have the last laugh,stock business is always like this .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 4:27am On Apr 09, 2007
Any gist about afroil? Earnings info and all. I t is currently doing 1.66 and i am considering it. Thanks smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nosbash: 5:11am On Apr 09, 2007
hmmmm! first of all, equity prices tend to exhibit a random walk trait, this means that it goes up and down, sometimes wit explanation sometimes without any.
Abt transcorp?it was ruined from the onset by its association with the Govt., as they thot that it was an advantage to do so, well that was their undoing. After realising their mistake, they tried to hoodwink the public they arent having any govt. support which was another lie, making things worse,
All over the world, trading in bluechips is enhanced by its seeming transparency, which obviously was absent in Transcorp.
Advice for Transcorp?they should go into production, and not a sitting duck with just 5 personnel feeding FAT out of the perks of its shareholders deposits.
Otherwise transcorp will continue to experience dips till its pegged so low for an easy take over.
[size=7pt]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LondonCool(m): 7:48am On Apr 09, 2007
egoldman:

transcorp may not be a bad buy afteral ,those who are buying as the price crashes now may later have the last laugh,stock business is always like this .

Whats the basis for this trickle of optimism ? Do you have any Company Fundamentals to guide your projections ? Or is is just a wishful speculation ?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 8:54am On Apr 09, 2007
It is a 2 way thing, if you are long term, you can wait for the price to crash further and buy an equal or higher number of units than what you bought earlier for transcorp that way, you reduce your losses. I still believe in it though
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 8:56am On Apr 09, 2007
Pls i still need gist on afroil. I think it is hot for short term. Any info on earnings and EPS?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 10:35am On Apr 09, 2007
LondonCool , I think Cheexy have answered your questions .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by LondonCool(m): 10:53am On Apr 09, 2007
egoldman:

LondonCool , I think Cheexy have answered your questions .

I don't think so
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 11:43am On Apr 09, 2007
I would have emphasized on the same view like cheexy that it could go either way ,but as u dont go with that ,i guess i dont have more answer for ya
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 3:17pm On Apr 09, 2007
Londoncool, there is no point just thinking about the losses. The problem with transcorp is that there are too many shares in circulation and the only way for someone to maximize profit is to buy more if the price crashes further. That way, the resultant price you bought it at will be lower. After the company mops up the excess shares from the market, you can recover quickly. It is a gamble but i would prefer that to selling off at a loss than biting my fingers if the situation improves. Real investors make money when others are losing. Green horns can download the free ebook on www.stockmarketnigeria.com. That should give you the basic gist.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 5:56pm On Apr 09, 2007
Chionyins:

HI ALL,
New to the thread , a new investor to niaja stocks too.
Keep it up all, I got invaluable tips n infor cheers

@NiajaFresh
How now? i am looking to gte the DEAP shares, read their props. Yah ? re their 2005 but it all seems good from my little knowledge for the long term, eh? Did you buy tthe shares.

@All i would like to know if anyone got the oceanic offer?

@Everyone -- Happy Easter!

@Chionyins
I have thought about buying DEAP but decided against. I am trying to build up my 'blue chip' portfolio first so i'm not yet ready to start gambling.
DEAP looks interesting but i have pointed out earlier they havent explained why they made a loss of N11 million naira in 2005 and then bounced back the next year. With all the false accounting scandals going on i am a bit wary

I also think their profit forecasts for the next 3 years are optimistic
I will however not be surprised if i am proved wrong and they do end up having strong growth figures but thats what speculation is all about. Win some lose some

My advice is to build up your portfolio first with soild stocks then you can start to gamble.
If you lose money early in your first forage into the stock market it can be very discouraging
Another point is, don't rush to buy every stock released onto the market, you may run out of money and miss a really good opportunity later if you do

Good Luck
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 9:30pm On Apr 09, 2007
DEAP Capital declares 800% return on investment

(companies very easily provide us with polished and made-to-look-good-for-investors, improved earnings and profit margins)

Does this take into account their 2005 loss? For those good at analysing financial data, if you can, I wouldn't be surprised that 800% turns out to be 80% return on investment. It makes me wonder exactly what level of profit was really made and against what data was this comparison/measurement arrived at?.

Are you encouraged to invest with DEAP? Does any of the info they have put out encourage you? Why? Please share.

The Punch
Deap Capital declares 800 per cent return on investment
By Atser Godwin
Published: Monday, 9 Apr 2007

Deap Capital Management and Trust Plc, one of Nigeria’s fund-management companies, has declared 800 per cent return on investment for shareholders in four years.

The Managing Director, Deap, Mr. Emmanuel Ugboh, made the claims at the company’s yearly investors/brokers forum in Lagos on Thursday.

He said that the company’s operations had consistently resulted in profits in the past three years and that during its first six months it broke even.

“The company has paid dividends to shareholders twice in four years. It has also issued bonus shares twice in four years,” he said in a statement on Friday.

The company’s Chairman, Chief Sylvanus Ezendu, said Deap Capital’s excellent performance was due to the commitment demonstrated by its management team, especially in their effort at ensuring that they derived the best and highest yield for investors.

http://www.punchontheweb.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art2007040822232215
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 9:51pm On Apr 09, 2007
@ Cheexy - I learnt from good authority that if you allow shares you bought to fall from 10% to 75% of its cost price, with the intention that it averages out your loss, you are very wrong!

All this means is that in order to recuperate your initial capital the stock will need to more than double, if not quadruple i.e

Initial cost: N20

Price drop: N15

This stock would need to first of all treble, just to get back your initial input. You will now compound issues by buying more.

At least this is what I think. What's your take?

Previous post:

Transcorp was not oversubscribed as initially reported. It can be deduced from info readily available. Consider that if the opposite was true, It would be all over the news. It would be news worthy.

On a much more gloomier note, as of the 5th of April, Trancorp was today lifted off technical suspension. The market was swamped with excessive supply volumes which sent its prices crashing to a maximum of 4.91%.

Currently, there is an excessive supply of approximately 75 millions units queued on the system waiting to be dumped at the next trading day.

-
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 10:12pm On Apr 09, 2007
Get a StockBroker .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 10:28pm On Apr 09, 2007
@Omoba,
From the beginning,we all knew that transcorp was not short term but long term so anybody would have been foolish to expect an exponential growth in a short while. If you know that you bought 10,000 units of a stock at 1 naira and the price falls to 50kobo and you buy 10,000 units more. You would have succeeded in buying 20,000 units at 0.75 thereby spending 15,000 naira. When the stock recovers (bearing in mind that you knew that it was long term from the beginning) and gets up to 1 naira, you would have made a profit of 0.25 on 20,000 units which amounts to 5,000 whereas if you had stuck to your 10000 units, you would have just broken even and if you had sold at 0.5, you would have made a loss of 5000 naira. This of course depends on how much money you can afford to keep lying fallow cos it can go both ways. Thats just my opinion

Ps i still need info on Afroil. Any leads?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 11:08pm On Apr 09, 2007
Xechem plan N2.5billion IPO. They already enjoy good patronage from foreign investors which puts them in good company.

This was culled from BusinessDay, published today.

Xechem Plans N2.5billion IPO
BusinessDay
Badejo Ademuyiwa, Abuja

Xechem Pharmaceuticals Nigeria Limited is heading to the capital market to raise N2.54 billion through an Initial Public Offer to buoy its working capital.

The IPO is being perfected by Chapel Hill, and will hopefully be in the market by September, this year.

Xechem in agreement with the Ministry of Health and the National Institute for Pharmaceutical Research and Development (NIPRD) is to develop, produce, sell and market NICOSAN.

NICOSAN, a non-toxic drug from extracts from tropical plants, was developed by NIPRD scientists to manage sickle cell disease.

Iretiolu Oniyide, managing director, Xechem Nigeria, disclosed this during a facility tour of the plant at Sheda, Abuja and noted that the offer will complement other facilities under way to improve the working capital of the drug firm.

Bullet points:

$8 million has been invested to date.

A N350 million NEXIM loan to be sealed next week.

Direct investment of $12 million from the USA.

$9.2 million facility guarantee from U.S Exim/

Local guarantee from Diamond bank and Bank PHB.

NISCON is currently available from 1,500 pharmaceutical shops across the country.

Target of four and eight million capsules per day to meet Nigerian demand and that of the continent.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 11:20pm On Apr 09, 2007
@ Cheexy - I see your logic. From the example you've given I would say even if the goal is long term it would only make sense for the investment to be quite minimal. It would be better financially if one was to invest larger sums into a stock or stocks that would generate better income returns in the time frame that would take a stock like Transcorp to generate good or substantial returns I assume?

But I would still agree to go ahead and buy Transcorp after the dust has settled and it starts to show signs of recovery. This requires being vigilant and "eagle eyed".

(1) (2) (3) ... (11) (12) (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 70
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.