Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,287 members, 7,829,650 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 10:06 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (16) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815907 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Chionyins(m): 6:47pm On Apr 13, 2007
@savvyL,
I concur totally, dangotes' performance over the YEARS with all his concerns has been steady and improving!with all the crisis in nigeria over the years dangotes holdings no dey shake as he deals with esssentials. The fundamentals are also good enough dangote will just assure that it gets steady and then upwards movement. The market is all about confidence more or less!!!!

@Frank
I HAIL O!!!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:48pm On Apr 13, 2007
Its good that you all know the risks that you are takong and that you have 'done; your homework. Well my people say dem no dey tell small pikin make him no grow teeth as long as im get lip take cover am. So if you have got your asses covered no yawa. Take a dive into the transcorp wahala grin grin grin

@ cheexy
The Transcorp thing is pure conspiracy, nothing else.
Its all gimicks to shore up the price of the stock. Watch out the technical suspensioin wont be lifted until they have got some positive news to declare which they expect wil drive up the price.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:52pm On Apr 13, 2007
Chionyins:

@Frank
I HAIL O!!!!!

No shaking
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 9:53pm On Apr 13, 2007
2 camps

Camp 1: Transcorp Investors. Wistful and Optimistic

Camp 2: Non Transcorp Investors. Calculated, informed decision not to invest based on gut feeling, lack of credible information, lack of track record, lack of strong fundamentals and other relevant information considered the staple diet of savvy investors

Honourable Jury Members on Panel of Good vs Bad Investment decisions: Still undecided

Public: Watch this space
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 10:53pm On Apr 13, 2007
@naijafresh
and your point is, ? (no offense bro) undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by IykeD1(m): 11:55pm On Apr 13, 2007
I think a prayer is in order

Our Father, who art in Transcorp,

Amen!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SLEEKCHIC2(f): 1:05am On Apr 14, 2007
@ iyke D,thanks 4 d prayer for transcorp.i'm sweating here,but loving d game.

I'm banking on d fact dat naija would always b Naija.i agree wit cheexy dat there is a conspiracy and i hope they conspire very well.in my beloved country, anything can happen.pls dont think i have money 2 waste but life is a risk. I'm loving d game.(pls pay no attention 2 me.i can afford 2 blab now cos d price has been shifted up to N9.71 :-)

@ frank, i started following nascon since Jan wen it was N6.00 .fundamental analysis is good,but bros,nigeria is too much. I personally feel Dangote has d midas touch.any stock he touches turns into gold.so i watch d stock. D price goes up cos people believe in him.benue cement was a big lesson 4 me. In my country, anything can happen so i shine my eyes well well.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SLEEKCHIC2(f): 1:25am On Apr 14, 2007
Meanwhile, wat do you all think about vono.read this article about them buying machinery and planning 2 expand. watchatink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 2:50am On Apr 14, 2007
@cheexy
My post means exactly what it says on the tin smiley

@The house
My point is speculation and wild rumours about transcorp is giving everyone a high blood pressure, transcorp was never going to be a red hot stock like Dangote, some people saw through the hype others didn't, everyone is looking at Dangote and either rubbing their hands with glee or banging their head on the wall
We all learn from our mistakes

If you bought Transcorp shares put up or shut up.
You can sell if you are not happy or forget about the money for now afterall you must have heard the saying don't invest what you can't afford to lose

If you didn't buy Transcorp stop rubbing it in

, stop rumour mongering and spend your time and effort on your other stocks in your portfolio
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 9:36am On Apr 14, 2007
@naijafresh
O i get it,  Finally,

@everyone
Transcorp never told us anything about dividends. They said capital appreciation and i don't expect anybody to sell at a loss if you can help it. I remember when i first heard of the insurance consolidation. Aiico was doing 1.8, , i bought it then because i knew the price was going to shoot up. After a month, it didn't shake so i sold off my shares at 1.71 to have enough money to benefit from the oceanic bank bonus issue as that looked more appealing and look now, aiico is between 4-5 naira. If only i had waited. Even though i got the gains i wanted from oceanic. It can't be compared to about 300% gain. Look at CCNN, its fundamentals have nothing to do with the price but it has risen from about 15 when i started watching it to about 30 something because of activities in the sector. Transcorp remains the most traded equity in the conglomerate sector and before you know it, the excess shares will be mopped up and there will be a case of demand being higher than supply. Just exercise a little patience and if you know you don't have that much patience, start dumping. It is all the naija phenomenon. Nobody is spreading rumours, we are just trying to keep this board alive and my "conspiracy theory" is a theory. Pls note that the keyword here is "theory"
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pamit(m): 9:46am On Apr 14, 2007
@naijafresh

correct man!. There's no point trying to analyse without convincing facts.

On the Transcorp issue, time will definitely tell. For those who have invested already, God might be giving you another chance to SELL NOW or HOLD FOR THE FUTURE (remember you r back to the Status Quo, an "opportunity" that is seldom enjoyed by other stocks).

So decide now and believe in your judgement!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Obamedo: 10:02am On Apr 14, 2007
@cheexy

Many Nigerian companies are not as transparent and forthcoming with information as they should be compared to companies in other countries. We are a nascent economy and still learning the rules of the game hence it is difficult for investors to gather relevant information to make decisions.
Very few companies have this information freely available too, you have to look for it from financial magazines, newspapers, company bulletins, annual reports etc
Thats why forums like this exist

We are lucky that the Nigerian stockmarket has bullish tendencies as you would expect from a developing economy so most stocks you invest in you tend to make a good return even if you havent really done your homework you are more likely to make a profit if you invest 8 times out of 10. Just don't be greedy and have patience with your investments
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by boladonas(m): 11:14am On Apr 14, 2007
@ALL

Transcorp will move up once yar Adua wins d election!

Do y'all know that Transcorp MD Longe has been suspended!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by unleashit(m): 12:36pm On Apr 14, 2007
@cheexy
its one of those things, i bought cornerstone @ 1.10 and planned to sell by feb 2007.After the technical suspension the price droped to 0.90 but i did not mind because i could see the outcome of the consolidation that was coming to the insurance sector,later in feb it got to 2.81 and after it was publish in financial standard that it was over valued people started to dump and the price started sliding downward,when it got to 2.41 i gave a sale order to my brooker.On that same day i came across a newspaper publication on how a company bought into cornerstone and their intension of bringing in foreign investors,immediately i called my brooker to stop sale because i knew it was going to hit 3.0.Right now it is at 3.0. I have 200000 units of cornerstone,imagine how i would have felt had i sold @ 2.41. The other day i gave an order for my zenith to be sold because i needed money urgently to meet up with week 23 of treasureline,it was sold @ 39naira,that same day it went to 40naira and its presently @43 with prospect of going higher.The painful thing is that i couldn't meet up with week 23.I actually planned i was going to dump it in june, now i regret not waiting. Not to worry sha,all my securities have done above 100% and i just started investing in march of last year and i bought them in large volumes.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by unleashit(m): 12:43pm On Apr 14, 2007
As for transcorp, don't bother about their manipulation of suspending and not suspending,wat you should bother yourself with is if the manipulation would benefit your portfolio or not.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 5:55pm On Apr 14, 2007
Thanks unleash it, good point wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 6:11pm On Apr 14, 2007
i have a good feeling that Access bank and FCMB would at least hit N21 by the end of the year,

Mr Frank and Cheexy, are u with me on that.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by unleashit(m): 8:42pm On Apr 14, 2007
timoni, i agree with u. There is going to be a very bullish reaction in the capital market starting from monday.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 10:49pm On Apr 14, 2007
@Timoni,
I will get back to you on that. I never really considered them. Bottom line is that you should go for shares that are going to release their results in April and May cos that would push the stock up if you are short term. Check the E.P.S before you go into anything so that you can be sure of good dividends even without capital appreciation. Make sure you are not getting in too late.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 11:00pm On Apr 14, 2007
@cheexy, would you be generous enough to supply stock which u consider short term that have year ends in the immediate future

cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dele9000(m): 7:24am On Apr 15, 2007
.Thank's y'all i've been following all your discussions, i'm just a young investor and i'm learning really fast from you guys, can anybody help me get a cscs account, and for the transcorp shares do we start dumping it or what?, and frank i'm feelin u o!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by omooba72(m): 9:53am On Apr 15, 2007
@ un leash it , could you give me more info about treasureline , and if possible there contact details.?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 5:19pm On Apr 15, 2007
@Tmoni
First aluminium, zenith etc would be releasing their results soon. Chellerams is good because its E.P.S is 0.17 and its price is still ok at 1.87 but it is scarce (as my stockbroker said). Basically you have to do your homework before you can decide what you want to buy because in the end, it is your money on the line.
@dele9000
Choose a good and credible stockbroker, go to them and they will open a cscs acount for you.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oshkosh(m): 5:32pm On Apr 15, 2007
I believe very strongly that Zenith and First bank would hit N55 within the next 5 months (Zenith sooner). If your outlook is end of year (December), then I'll add UBA and Oceanic to that list.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by unleashit(m): 8:13pm On Apr 15, 2007
@ omoba
there is a tread titled "what do you know about treasure line? " you would get all the gist there;the tread is under Risky Bussiness
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:15pm On Apr 16, 2007
@topic
As I have said elsewhere, I like the Transcorp idea. I am just not comfortable with how it is being run. As am accountant I have given my take on their financials, which is that any investment in them should be only for the long term. Also I beleive that every investment opportunity has an opportunity cost and in my opinion the cost of sitting on the sidelines on Transcorps is less than the cost of getting in at the ground floor. The stock market is currently on a bullish trend and investors have had over a hundred % gain is sweet stocks like Dangote, Intercontinental bank etc. So I dont see why someone should tie down his money waiting for Transcorp.
Beleive it or not there will be little gain in the price of Transcorp if they dont start releasing good results an positive informatiion soon.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:27pm On Apr 16, 2007
Cheering news for Transcorp investors, PDP (Papa Deceive Pikin) has suceeded in cornering most of the Governorship seats declared so far preparing their way for a 'moon' slide  victory at the presidential polls next week. This means that it will be business as usual for OBj and his business cohorts . Thus Transcorp will definitely benefit.  grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 9:39pm On Apr 16, 2007
Oga Frank ,is that you ? i never seen you in this mode b4 oooh grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 9:44pm On Apr 16, 2007
@ egoldman
Sorry, to disappoint you, I have always been in this mode. I say it as it is .
I dont 'beef' any stock.
Just trying to ensure that people take enlightened decisions.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by alanbolo(m): 10:00pm On Apr 16, 2007
definately, agreed with U on transcorp. With the caliber of investors / board members in Transcorp, I do analized that it's biz as usual with PDP and Transcorp might be worthwhile then. We still have the next election with Atiku cleared to run now
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 10:29pm On Apr 16, 2007
this was sent to me by my stockbroker

Guaranty Trust Bank Plc released its results for year ended February 28, 2007. The bank grew its gross earnings by 46% and Profit after Tax by 59% when compared with the previous year. The bank has declared a final dividend of N0.50 per share and a bonus of 1 for 4. Closure of register will be on May 2, 2007 while payment will be from May 24, 2007. Full details of the released result are in the attached report

looks like its rosier for us again, grin
Tayo is the man grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 10:48pm On Apr 16, 2007
It is true o. Mr frank, is that you? You used to sound extremely formal. What changed? I am feeling the real you.
@Timoni, that is good news. It will surely push the price up. Thanks for sharing, what stockbroker do you use?

(1) (2) (3) ... (13) (14) (15) (16) (17) (18) (19) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.