Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,057 members, 7,859,804 topics. Date: Thursday, 13 June 2024 at 07:12 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (144) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (819772 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:10pm On Nov 14, 2007
easimoni:

HMMMMMMMM. undecided Off to crunch some numbers!
It might be cheaper if you want to go down that route interest rates are low compared to Nigeria and you probably request it for a fixed period of time (fixed-term)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:14pm On Nov 14, 2007
Chellarams still holding forth. waiting for Nigerian German to start another rally. Facing resistance at the 19.00 mark.

RoughCut:

It might be cheaper if you want to go down that route interest rates are low compared to Nigeria and you probably request it for a fixed period of time (fixed-term)

Yes interest rates are much lower. But when you use a loan/margin, your emotions tend to get more into your reasoning. have many around me now passing through 'counselling' for using short term loans (one year) for long term investment (capital market)

For you to do that successfully, you must be a technical trader. I'm sure you know that technical traders tend to take on much more risks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:20pm On Nov 14, 2007
wanaj0:

Chellarams still holding forth. waiting for Nigerian German to start another rally. Facing resistance at the 19.00 mark.

Yes interest rates are much lower. But when you use a loan/margin, your emotions tend to get more into your reasoning. have many around me now passing through 'counselling' for using short term loans (one year) for long term investment (capital market)

For you to do that successfully, you must be a technical trader. I'm sure you know that technical traders tend to take on much more risks.

You hedge your risks by making sure you will not need to 'sell' to repay the loan

Do you have any updates regarding the zenith/ETB 'arrangement' or is it a far-fetched speculation?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:22pm On Nov 14, 2007
wanaj0:

Lot's of my colleagues going thru the same as well. That's why I hesitate to leverage. You just never know.
krisbobo:

@Easimoni
Bro, you don forget me? i mailed you since yesterday and I never see your response o!
Abeg reply sir.
I've replied.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 5:26pm On Nov 14, 2007
easimoni:

Lot's of my colleagues going through the same as well. That's why I hesitate to leverage. You just never know.I've replied.

You have already sold your WEMA! so which one be I'm not selling my WEMA cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 5:45pm On Nov 14, 2007
well fellas looks like those of us still holding on to our wema are still smiling

i hope it continues for a little while longer

viv la wema!!!

anyone got info on intercontinental, AIICO?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:48pm On Nov 14, 2007
RoughCut:

You have already sold your WEMA! so which one be I'm not selling my WEMA cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy cheesy

I've sold 75% of it. I'm still thinking up a new signature. How bout "Buy Crusader"?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 5:51pm On Nov 14, 2007
I DEFINITELY WOULD ENDORSE SUCH A SIGNATURE MY MAN!

FOR 2008, BE ON THE READY FOR CRUSADER, CILEASING AND TURNAROUND DUNLOP
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 5:55pm On Nov 14, 2007
@ Wanajo,Roughcut

u could get a low interest loan in the uk or U.S(less sure of U.S as i dont know what their interest rates look like)
just be sure u keep ur day job and are able to afford the payments
short term i.e 1-3yrs probably best, nothing more

do it ONLY IF ITS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY i would say
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mutu1(m): 5:56pm On Nov 14, 2007
Hi Pumping 777,
Can you email the PHB prospectus to me mutu001(at)gmail.com. I will send you an email too.
As time to position for 2008 is right now and one has to figure whether this PHB is worth breaking the no PO rule!

The link isn't working.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 5:58pm On Nov 14, 2007
RoughCut:

You hedge your risks by making sure you will not need to 'sell' to repay the loan

Do you have any updates regarding the zenith/ETB 'arrangement' or is it a far-fetched speculation?

One major issue with investment is managing your emotions. It becomes more difficult when you have borrowed money involved. Most often your emotions take over the decision making process. You will be surprised at the kind of decisions people make once borrowed money is involved. Panic becomes the key word!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:03pm On Nov 14, 2007
aktopgun:

@ Wanajo,Roughcut

u could get a low interest loan in the uk or US(less sure of US as i don't know what their interest rates look like)
just be sure u keep your day job and are able to afford the payments
short term i.e 1-3yrs probably best, nothing more

do it ONLY IF ITS ABSOLUTELY NECESSARY i would say

The problem is not whether it can be done but how you would react if things go in the opposite direction.

I have friends who collected loans to buy WAPCo etc. Once it is a 'loan' people just react differently. That to me is teh problem. Except you are able to keep your emotions under check, then don't venture near it. Just like forex trading, you need discipline. Unfortunately, most people lose that once borrowed funds is involved.

Not for or againt. But be sure your 'nature' can accommodate it or else you get your fingers burnt big time.

BTW, with the continual fall of the US$, that may be the money to borrow.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by krisbobo(m): 6:05pm On Nov 14, 2007
@Easimoni

Thanks. I appreciate your assistance.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 6:06pm On Nov 14, 2007
quite right
its not for the faint hearted at all and it is quite individualistic

as i said it requires a lot of thought and a definite plan
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 6:23pm On Nov 14, 2007
@ all

thanx for keeping the thread flowing.

As per leverage , i use it real good and it works ,however it is very ADDICTIVE .The important thing is to use it with restraint ,but i certain scenarios its a win-win . My idea is always to divide the capital into tranches .I use some for short term trading , some for mdeium-long term .Though we are all geniuses after the fact , whoever borrowed to enter Dangote sugar should be smiling right now. There may not be other DSR out there , but certainly there are good candidates for leveraged position.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aquita(m): 6:27pm On Nov 14, 2007
to all the gurus (i.e wanajO, RoughCut,easimoni and pumping777). kindly recommend any good book(s) on investment in the stock market. thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 6:31pm On Nov 14, 2007
dont mean to usurp the gurus but heare are some u might consider

one up on wall street
learn to earn
the intelligen investor (hard reading though and requires the patience of an angel but worth it)
stock investing for dummies (honest, thats the name of the book)  cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:40pm On Nov 14, 2007
aquita:

to all the gurus (i.e wanajO, RoughCut,easimoni and pumping777). kindly recommend any good book(s) on investment in the stock market. thanks

I always tell people that DOING is the best book. You need to get involved. Many things you will not learn/understand until your money is involved.

Read the various actions taken by people on WEMA. It is a function of who they are not necessarily any 'book' recommnedations.

www.cobeco.net
www.investorpedia.com are very good sites to use to understand the jargon.

Now the NIGERIAN market is however different OOOOOOOOOO. No text book go teach you about the NSE. As you start, you will gather experience.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 6:41pm On Nov 14, 2007
TECHNICAL SUSPENSION
The share price of AIICO INSURANCE PLC was today frozen on receipt of application for a Public Offer
of 2.5 billion Ordinary Shares @ N2.20k per share.

NEW LISTING
Red Star Express Nigeria Plc was today listed amongst the Daily Official List (DOL) of the Nigerian Stock
Exchange (NSE). The trading symbol is REDSTAREX.

Does anyone know if Red Star traded today?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 6:48pm On Nov 14, 2007
I think all the guru's on this thread (I don't have to mention names) should come together and publish a book on NSE.

The book should talk extensively on the act of trading in stock especially the cut and nail aspects of trading on the floor of the NSE(short term investment).

This idea may sound funny but I think it's possible.

tonyjon.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 6:54pm On Nov 14, 2007
Ok, now I see Red Star Express was traded. 2.396M units. Opened and closed at N4.20. A 5% gain already over the expected listing price of N4.00.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 6:57pm On Nov 14, 2007
pumping could u pls tell me where u viewed this info
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:04pm On Nov 14, 2007
aktopgun:

pumping could u please tell me where u viewed this info

http://www.meristem.com.ng/pricelist.php
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 7:08pm On Nov 14, 2007
many thanks

hope philly is doing alright today

many thanks again
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 7:17pm On Nov 14, 2007
Does anyone have any useful information on Air services and Logistics Plc?.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 7:17pm On Nov 14, 2007
@aquita

its good to know the basics of stock trading and investing and you will do well with the resources already suggested .Like Wanaj0 posted, that is all theory there is nothing like practising what you have learnt .Bottomline , you have to start mix theory with practice ,And be prepared for surprises because those books and websites didnt consider Naija's peculiarities .I HAVE A BOOK FOR YOU AND YOU DONT HAVE TO PAY FOR IT. IT CONTAINS THE EXPERIENCE , FACTS, OPINIONS of people KNOWLEDGEABLE and not so ,  Its got 145 pages and still going .You cant find a better book anywhere on the NSE. The authors are all over the world and they are generous people. You guessed right , read this thread from page 1. Goodluck !
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:18pm On Nov 14, 2007
tonyjon:

Does anyone have any useful information on Air services and Logistics Plc?.

Depends on what you are looking for. I have some numbers. Based on Q-3 results, the projected PE is around 26 sad
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:19pm On Nov 14, 2007
@aktopgun  - Not really. It's a rainy day and chilly. I'm off on vacation tomorrow till end of next week and I'm heading south for some heat  grin

Please, can anyone crunch the numbers for NEIMETH INTERNATIONAL PHARM? I have a projected PE of around 14.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 7:23pm On Nov 14, 2007
pumping777:

Please, can anyone crunch the numbers for NEIMETH INTERNATIONAL PHARM? I have a projected PE of around 14.

With today's price = 3.99, a 6 month PAT = 90.8M and 1.54B shares (thanks to Futureview), I have a forward PE of 34
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:31pm On Nov 14, 2007
easimoni:

With today's price = 3.99, a 6 month PAT = 90.8M and 1.54B shares (thanks to Futureview), I have a forward PE of 34

Thanks. I was off on the outstanding shares grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 7:32pm On Nov 14, 2007
many thanks emmaachile
got ur e-mail
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollarmani: 8:26pm On Nov 14, 2007
Hi Guys,

does any one know if FBN has started or when they will start to return the monies of people who were not allotted any shares. The market needs the money.

(1) (2) (3) ... (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) (146) (147) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 41
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.