Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,158,176 members, 7,835,926 topics. Date: Tuesday, 21 May 2024 at 05:38 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (142) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (816655 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:40pm On Nov 13, 2007
Red Star Express - Looking Good

http://www.nigerians-abroad.com/news/headlines/red-star-express-declares-dividend/

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20071017059053
"
------------------------------------
The Board of Directors of Red Star Express PLC, a leading indigenous courier and cargo company, has declared dividend of N113.19million to the shareholders at the Company's 14th Annual General Meeting (AGM) held at the Lagoon Restaurant, Lagos. The dividend translates to 22 Kobo per share and would be paid to shareholders whose names were on the Company's Register as at March 31, this year, after deducting withholding tax.

Speaking at the event, the Red Star Express Board Chairman, Dr. Muhammad Koguna said, "We have recorded a tremendous and stable growth in our business transactions. We have fulfilled all the requirements for the listing and conversion of our company to public limited company (PLC). We have also increased authorized share capital, private placement of 75 Million shares to increase the number of shareholders."

He explained that apart from listing the shares of the company in the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) the organization has recorded a remarkable turnover increase of 26 per cent and moved from N2.249 billion to N2.836 billion this year.

Speaking at the event, the Red Star Express Board Chairman, Dr. Muhammad Koguna said, "We have recorded a tremendous and stable growth in our business transactions. We have fulfilled all the requirements for the listing and conversion of our company to public limited company (PLC). We have also increased authorized share capital, private placement of 75 Million shares to increase the number of shareholders."

He explained that apart from listing the shares of the company in the Nigerian Stock Exchange (NSE) the organization has recorded a remarkable turnover increase of 26 per cent and moved from N2.249 billion to N2.836 billion this year.
"

A DPS of 22k per share will could mean a trailing EPS of at least 30k per share and we could be looking at a trailing PE below 13.

Does anyone have the prospectus for the private placement? Fedex seems to have a direct interest here.

http://www.execdigital.com/NewsArticle.aspx?articleid=3565
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 8:46pm On Nov 13, 2007
chaj:

Hi all, especially d gurus in da house- u know yourselves grin

I've been following, or is it STALKING this thread daily, since page 89.

How do u explain UNTL's price gain- in spite of what has befallen them i.e liquidation?

Secondly how does capital appreciation of a stock impact on the profitability or liquidity of a company. someone tried explaining it a few days back, but it didn't jell. For instance, FCMB appreciated by 329% so how did/does that put money into their pocket?

Thanks

In additon to Easimoni's note, Money comes into the shareholders pocket as the shareholder is entitled to dividends, whever the coy decides to do so, bonus share etc. when the coy decides to do so.  Daily prices rise and fall according to demand for the shares on the stock exchange.  That is supposed to be backed by strong fundamentals.  The share holder can also make money if he buys i.e. when the price is low then sell when the price appreciates.
Some folks buy a into a coy and dont sell just continue accumulating shares and use the dividends.  Others dont want any dividend they just buy and sell.
UNTL buyers either are misinformed or they have some hidden information about the resurrection of the coy and are mopping up the shares.
Hope this helps
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:08pm On Nov 13, 2007
when companies are going on TS is it on the day they are going that it's announced?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:23pm On Nov 13, 2007
The company is placed on TS and we are informed after the fact  grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hispy99(m): 9:25pm On Nov 13, 2007
pumping777:

Red Star Express - Looking Good

http://www.nigerians-abroad.com/news/headlines/red-star-express-declares-dividend/

http://www.punchng.com/Articl.aspx?theartic=Art20071017059053
"
The Board of Directors of Red Star Express PLC, a leading indigenous courier and cargo company, has declared dividend of N113.19million to the shareholders at the Company's 14th Annual General Meeting (AGM) held at the Lagoon Restaurant, Lagos. The dividend translates to 22 Kobo per share and would be paid to shareholders whose names were on the Company's Register as at March 31, this year, after deducting withholding tax.

"

A DPS of 22k per share will could mean a trailing EPS of at least 30k per share and we could be looking at a trailing PE below 13.

Does anyone have the prospectus for the private placement? Fedex seems to have a direct interest here.

http://www.execdigital.com/NewsArticle.aspx?articleid=3565

Pumping, thx a lot. I don't understand how a company will want to list its shares and the financials will not be available for public consumption, only in Nigeria, and maybe Chad grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:30pm On Nov 13, 2007
40 most capitalized firms in Nigeria

I don't know where this came from. It was posted today but I don't agree with the rankings at least for today.

http://proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_news.php?id=3180
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kingzy(m): 9:51pm On Nov 13, 2007
@gurus,
plz when a a coy decleared bonus, will it's price be marked down a day before, on or after the closing date?
what is happening to DSR and GTB. what are their likely prices 12months frm 2day
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tonyjon(m): 10:10pm On Nov 13, 2007
Hi Pumping, Easimoni,RoughCut, Wanaj0 e.t.c.

A friend of mine just of recent changed his broker. Through his new broker, he has already applied for a new CSCS# but the number is not yet ready and he want to buy some shares from fidelity bank (IPO/PO)

This is the question:Can he use his  old CSCS # that he was using when he was with his former broker and use  the name of the new broker as his Stockbroker on his Ipo/po application forms?. What will be the implication of this action?.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Peace.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Talktrue(m): 10:15pm On Nov 13, 2007
@all
Anyone with the outstanding shares of crusader.

Was their IPO fully subscribed.

I have 984,467,113 share before IPO and additional listing of 3,437,160,619 shares from the IPO.
can someone validate this figures.
What they have on Nigerian securities website is quite different from the figures below.

I can seem to lay my hands on their 9months result can anyone share please.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:27pm On Nov 13, 2007
Talktrue:

@all

I have 984,467,113 share before IPO and additional listing of 3,437,160,619 shares from the IPO.
What they have on Nigerian securities website is quite different from the figures below.

The figure I have is 3.437B.

Crusaders' Q-3 result is not out as far as I know.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 10:35pm On Nov 13, 2007
Re: Red Star Express

The 22K DPS reflects the # of shares BEFORE the private placement. Adjusted DPS is 19K. To support a price of N4, I'd like to see an EPS of 25-30k. If they paid a dividend = 60% of PAT (as the avg coy does) then it's a good deal (esp. as the 19k DPS is trailing not forward) as that'll indicate the trailing EPS should be ~30k.

I'd love to see the real numbers and I've googled to no avail. At the very least, if trailing DPS = trailing EPS = 19k, trailing PE = 21. That makes it cheaper than 1/2 of the NSE stocks (most of which have updated earnings).

Bottom line is I'd rate it a buy at face value only.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 10:36pm On Nov 13, 2007
Talktrue:

@all

Pumping is right about Crusader's outstanding shares (3.437B). Nigerian Sec seem to have Law Union and Crusader mixed up.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:41pm On Nov 13, 2007
tonyjon:

Hi Pumping, Easimoni,RoughCut, Wanaj0 e.t.c.

A friend of mine just of recent changed his broker. Through his new broker, he has already applied for a new CSCS# but the number is not yet ready and he want to buy some shares from fidelity bank (IPO/PO)

This is the question:Can he use his  old CSCS # that he was using when he was with his former broker and use  the name of the new broker as his Stockbroker on his Ipo/po application forms?. What will be the implication of this action?.

Hope to hear from you guys soon.

Peace.

This is what I think will work but I am not quite sure.

The new broker should open a new CSCS number but retain the same CHN number used by the old broker. So your new CSCS number is now linked to your existing CHN number.

In this case, your friend can use the same CHN number on the PO form but with the name of the new broker.

If the new broker opens a new CHN number instead, then then the new CSCS number will linked to the old CHN and your friend will need the old broker to execute orders on the stocks when listed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by krisbobo(m): 10:52pm On Nov 13, 2007
@Easimoni

Easi pls did you get my mail? Pls kindly respond when you have a little free time.

Thanks.

@others

Pls i ask for the name of a stockbroking firm where i could open an account with 250k and i would be able to monitor my stocks online and get quick service in terms of buy and sale orders. Pls this info will be well appreciated.

thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ben0524(m): 10:55pm On Nov 13, 2007
To all Financial guru's,

What is the meaning of CSCS statement and what does it look like?

How do you know if a stock is expensive judging by the E.P.S, P.E and current mkt price?

Is it right and possible to have more than one Broker?,  if yes, how can one go about it because im not impressed about the service my stock broker is rendering to me. if i ask her to get a particular stock for she will not get it on time till the price get higher than the amount i ve budgeted.

All GURU's in the house.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 11:14pm On Nov 13, 2007
Tonyjon,
Please let your friend exercise patience or even forget the fidelity stuff. The brokers would have transferred the accounts as you changed if it was that easy. However because I hear it is not that easy (records in different places) they have to open a new cscs account and trade afresh.
So the suggestion by Pumping777 might not be very smooth. Also the stock brokers usually have a week to close their IPO accounts and send it to the issuing house which effectively gives your friend a weeks grace to wait for the new cscs.

Ben0524,
Cscs stands for Central Securities Clearing System I think it is the body that stores your stock/share particulars such that there are no sharp practices by the brokers etc. For the rest, you just have to visit investopia and do some research.

EPS earnings per share
Is the total earnings divided by number of outstanding shares of a coy
A high EPS indicates good earnings and a growing coy making profit especially if it is better than the previous year, and the number of share has not been diluted by additional shares. Folks in this thread talk about it alot
Yes one can have another broker but a new cscs account may have to be opened for you. I suggest you get to the office and complain or ask for a change of the account officer most broking firms are improving their services.
Price may also go low in your favor so don't complain too much,

Krisbobo,
Try APT securities and funds ltd. their minimum opening balance is 250k.
Once you get a hang of the system and open the online account orders are carried out on time.
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by krisbobo(m): 12:04am On Nov 14, 2007
@Gees

thanks a great deal. will look them up.

Easimoni, abeg idey wait o.

thanks all.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by NBA(m): 12:41am On Nov 14, 2007
krisbobo:

@others
Please i ask for the name of a stockbroking firm where i could open an account with 250k and i would be able to monitor my stocks online and get quick service in terms of buy and sale orders. Please this info will be well appreciated.
thanks.

@kriskobo
Cashcraft - not the best customer service but great online package and will open an account for 100K
http://cashcraft.com/
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:13am On Nov 14, 2007
Platinum prospectus.

Error. The file is too large.

Summary. 2008 PE ~ 20, 2009 PE ~12. Most projects for the raised funds are medium term - 12 - 18 months.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 5:01am On Nov 14, 2007
Pumping
you too much! where did u get the prospectus from please?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 5:03am On Nov 14, 2007
and based on the offer details is it a strong buy or not? Bearing in mind that the PE will shrink in 09 and beyond, and the xtra mouths to feed from the offer?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by youngdoc: 6:44am On Nov 14, 2007
Yes indeed Pumping has his ear close to the ground. Pray thee, do tell wink

@ Easimoni,
What did you decide about using leveraging to invest?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 6:49am On Nov 14, 2007
AS at the tme of the private placement of Red Star Express, it was a STRONG BUY. Unfortunately, IBTC rationed the thing! Can't lay my hand on the prospectus right now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aquita(m): 7:20am On Nov 14, 2007
I wish to thank pumping777,wanajO and easimoni for their contribution on Redstar Express. Kindly inform nairalanders as soon as you have any gist on their IPO. More grease to your elbow.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 7:43am On Nov 14, 2007
pumping777:

This is what I think will work but I am not quite sure.

The new broker should open a new CSCS number but retain the same CHN number used by the old broker. So your new CSCS number is now linked to your existing CHN number.

In this case, your friend can use the same CHN number on the PO form but with the name of the new broker.

If the new broker opens a new CHN number instead, then then the new CSCS number will linked to the old CHN and your friend will need the old broker to execute orders on the stocks when listed.

The CHN is the clearing house number assigned to every stockbroker registered as dealing or non-dealing member of the NSE by CSCS so it is unique for every stockbroker this is what the CSCS uses to identify the stockbroker

So your friend should use the CHN of the new stockbroker and the name on the form and whenever the new stockbroker gets the CSCS number that will be your personal stock account identification number to the CSCS and if you fill in this number (assuming you get it before the offer closes) on your PO/IPO form then the company doing the PO/IPO through the registrar to the offer will credit your purchase (if successful) to CSCS or in the case of Oceanic do an e-allotment(credit your CSCS online automatically) and if you have have an online account with CSCS(cost N2500 and link doesnt work most times) you can see what your broker has purchased or sold on your behalf or in the case of PO/IPO if e-allotment was done

In effect your new CSCS number should be linked to your new broker's CHN(this is what identifies the stock broker to the CSCS)The CSCS is responsible for clearing (settling) i.e transfer stock to the new owner and ensure the buyer pays for the stock purchased on the NSE that is why its called a clearing house

Since it is virtually impossible to transfer accounts between the conventional wisdom is to stop putting money into your old stockbroking account and systematically liquidate all your holding(dont do this at a loss though)by issuing a SELL and not a BUY order and that way you will be shot of your old broker and then make sure you close the account so your old account is not used for something else!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:00am On Nov 14, 2007
aquita:

I wish to thank pumping777,wanajO and easimoni for their contribution on Redstar Express. Kindly inform nairalanders as soon as you have any gist on their IPO. More grease to your elbow.
They are not doing an IPO per se they did a private placement so they could satisfy the requirements for listing on the NSE. Once they are listed it means they are now a PLC (public liability company) meaning they are subject to the rules and regulations of the NSE and the SEC and therefore are compelled by law to make public their financial results within a given period of time. Also when they are listed it means you and i can buy and sell shares in the company on the NSE through stockbrokers.

Until it is listed on the NSE they are a private company and those that bought into PP(the lucky ones ) can do what they like within reason

Sometime in the future they may want to float an IPO(open to everyone) or rights issue(open only to existing shareholders) or both  if they feel they need to raise more capital in which case you will be able to apply to be a shareholder even if you have never heard of the company before

The purpose of the PP(its not PO or IPO because the NSE will not be directly involved in supervising the subscription and they don't need NSE approval) was to increase their share capital(capital raised by selling equity or shares in the company) and also in order to satisfy requirements for listing(25% of the company must be owned by members of the investing public) that is why Dangote has offered 25% of  his holding in Dangote Flour Mills(owned by him thru Dangote Industries Ltd and he happens to be the largest share holder) to qualify for listing on the NSE and also 25% of his holdings in Dangote Sugar(guess who the the controlling shareholder is? ) and he owns the remaining 75% so if Dangote sugar declares a dividend of  N10B today he will be paid N7.5B and the rest goes to the other shareholders(including you and me if you own the stock that is) not bad for the man at all so it is in his own interest to declare dividends(subject to profit) so he gets paid that way and we are also happy because we are getting something back for our investment and that does not hurt the share price one bit infact that's why the share price is where it is today! so a win-win situation i would say
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:30am On Nov 14, 2007
Rob-roy:

and based on the offer details is it a strong buy or not? Bearing in mind that the PE will shrink in 09 and beyond, and the xtra mouths to feed from the offer?

The offfer will be made public on Nov 19 and the prospectus will be made available then so we can start doing the number crunching if you are interested
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:56am On Nov 14, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by uchedus: 9:04am On Nov 14, 2007
uchedus:

Hello all, I am new in stock business. At the moment, I am interested in Mutual Benefit Assurrance stock. I will like to be advised. Thank you all

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MyPeace(f): 9:29am On Nov 14, 2007
Re: Red Star Express

Since they are listed as Red Star Express, does it mean FEDEX revenue/profit will be excluded from the total revenue/profit of the year?

l know Fedex the international partner has alot influence on the performance of Red Star Express.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 9:55am On Nov 14, 2007
pumping777:

Platinum Prospectus. I have uploaded it here. I hope it works.

http://us.f13.yahoofs.com/bc/4642fd5emb4d0c819/bc/Shares/PHB+Full+prospectus1.pdf?bfV4qOHBM97eOumb

@pumping777. Link not okay.Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DDOTS1(m): 10:57am On Nov 14, 2007
To all the Gurus,

I throway salute. You guys are simply amazing!!!!

Could you please advise which site has info on nigerian stocks where I can utilise Technical Analysis indicators like MACD, Fast/
Slow Stochastics etc. as this would complement the very sound fundamental analysis we get from this site. I have tried nigeriansecurities but there is no provision yet for applying any form of indicators to their charts/graphs. Could any Technical analyst please advise how I can use charting softwares like Telechart on nigerian stocks. How can I extract the info from nigeriansecurities.com or indeed any other site unto an excel spreadsheet and then feed into Telechart. Please advise

(1) (2) (3) ... (139) (140) (141) (142) (143) (144) (145) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 74
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.