Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,165,327 members, 7,860,800 topics. Date: Friday, 14 June 2024 at 04:32 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (186) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (819960 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by husu(m): 6:54pm On Nov 27, 2007
@wanajo
Oceanic certificates are available now. Send your brokers to pick yours.

Please, is it possible to get the certificates b/4 it gets to my box cause i'm hiding it from someone.gurus  respond.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tommyt(m): 6:55pm On Nov 27, 2007
yodiyokun:

@ All,

Is anyone still sitting on insurance companies? I still have my Law & Union - was tempted to sell today at 31% but changed my mind? - It seems to have lost steam,

my sister am wit u o, am still holding on to srusader, i still dey beleive but hope to bail out by friday or next week friday
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 6:58pm On Nov 27, 2007
I have also been developing a spreadsheet for stock analysis and I don't think there will be much improvement again until new results are announced so I will share it with the house.

For those that have been asking for similar, you can modify it to suit yourself. You now have to continously update the sheet with new results; updated outstanding shares and new projected PAT if necessary.

If you find errors with number of outstanding shares or interim results please let me know. Also, if you have results that I have not included, please share with me too. These are all the current results I have been able to find.

I have had to remove all comments because  of identifiable information. How I arrived at the outstanding shares may have been clearer. Just note that I have made provision for shares to be listed in the future including provision for 25% oversubscription. You can adapt this to your own style.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 6:58pm On Nov 27, 2007
@ yodiyokun

still got some Law Union left , will wait till friday , before making a decision about the trend.Whichever i think it has found its price range.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 7:03pm On Nov 27, 2007
@Pumping 777

nice one ! as per da spreadsheet. U go pump millions , amen . And da whole house too !
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 7:06pm On Nov 27, 2007
pumping,
thx for the spreadsheet
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kevyngbash(m): 7:17pm On Nov 27, 2007
I have been on the sideline for long reading and learning from your posts. As I no get anythingI go contribute na im I just say make i pay respect to all the gurus. You guys have really rekindled my hope in so many ways and , keep doing what you are doing.

We need all the contributions as long as they are made with genuine intentions.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SGN(m): 7:22pm On Nov 27, 2007
@Pumping777

Great!! the spreadsheet is good.  More grease to your palm.

Like you aid individuals need to update it from time to keep it current.

For beginners, the spreadsheet is good, but like easimoni and a host of others have said, indulge in the study and understanding of basics, terminologies and basic interpretation of terms, investopedia.com can help a great deal.  Once this is done, verification of data, source of data and advise on grey arrears will only remain for guys to ask and this will make the thread really refreshing.

l
easimoni, wanaj0, pumping777, Roughcut, yodiyokun, (I laugh each time I pronounce this), Temmie10, FatherOf2, EMMACHILLE
@All
Thanks for keeping this thing going, its really interesting.!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 7:33pm On Nov 27, 2007
I only use the spreadsheet to alert me of the need to further analyze any particular stock at a point in time. So I just want to advice that it will be counter-productive if you decide to pick a stock on the list simply because the PE is low. In particular it helps me to avoid buying expensive stocks except there is news that does not support the numbers.

I had two minds about sharing this spread sheet because it can make folks lazy but I don't believe in re-inventing the wheel. The idea of sharing is to help those that need the raw figures and maybe help with the format. I am sure many folks can come up with something much better.

Happy investing.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by UNLEASHED(m): 7:50pm On Nov 27, 2007
Hello guys! I am a newbie to stocks and shares and everytime I read the business thread, I see the topic "STOCK MARKET TIPS FOR NIGERIANS" The replies were too much that I find it difficult to figure where to start reading because I think it might help me. I started investing in shares last year. To me It's just as if i am depositing money to a fixed account. Please I need gurus here to help love-vendor me up. I will be looking forward to your reply.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 7:54pm On Nov 27, 2007
@pumpiing,
Thanks , for the spreadsheet.

@Fatherof2,
Thanks a lot for asking us to be more open.
I got to this site August this year when i thought it was necessary to find another stream of income and choose the NSE.  However in the last few months there is less teaching and more speculation,

@Wanaj0,
I suppose call u Suru na so so ni suru, Well a big thank you to you too cos when you read Warren Buffet's idea its Fundamentals first. ROI next then invest, He has not really had a finger burnt, BUT am quicj to add for all reading He partnered with Charlie M, ? who said if you can predict conservatively where a coy should be from its published results and history you can then find overvalued stocks and undervalued ones and key in before it comes forth.

Summarily, I say have the following sectors in your portfolio
Banking sector--too many that i cant make suggestions except that Soludo had said 3 of them are on the margin and have asked on this thread which folks think those three are (I have Zenith and am eyeing PhB seriously cos they are favored in govt especially up north)
Manufacturing--
Maritime--Japaul
Insurance--Unic, Law union etc.
C&I-- visited their new office recently they have committed number cruchers and are hitting the major cities slowly but surely with their products,  They are bound to grow.

Last word spend some money and buy literature on investing, Improve yourself, turn your head into an asset.  
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 7:55pm On Nov 27, 2007
pumping, i am really impressed. to think youve been on this thread for such a short time. thanks for the spreadsheet.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 7:56pm On Nov 27, 2007
looks like the market don cool down small, just small.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 7:57pm On Nov 27, 2007
AHHHHHH!
How could I have missed such a juicy altercation. That would have been a time for proverbs and soothsayers.
@ Temmie 10
Which one be say u can tell the content of something by somethings name etc etc. Isnt Guardian newspaper the most obsolete newspaper right now with "current news" dating back to March, and some obscure newspaper "Nigerian Flashlight" is giving me timely and relevant info?/

No make me sign up as "Tommie10" or "Temm1e 10" or "Temmie 11" just now and start offering stock advice, grin grin

Necessity is the mother of invention,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 7:58pm On Nov 27, 2007
looking forward to zenith bank po and also ske banks po as well, expect triple digit growth next fiscal year for skye bank
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Geees: 8:00pm On Nov 27, 2007
UNLEASHED:

Hello guys! I am a newbie to stocks and shares and everytime I read the business thread, I see the topic "STOCK MARKET TIPS FOR NIGERIANS" The replies were too much that I find it difficult to figure where to start reading because I think it might help me. I started investing in shares last year. To me It's just as if i am depositing money to a fixed account. Please I need gurus here to help love-vendor me up. I will be looking forward to your reply.

There are numerous sites to visit and learn what is happening to your money,
www.proshareng.com, www.nigeriansecurities.com, www.nsepro.com, www.meristemng.com, www.ibtc.com.
Proshare offers authentic results compared to some stock broking web pages.
If you pay more attention you can make 50% ROI every year, much better than any fixed deposit in nigeria even with #10,000 especially as u need over 1M to get ~10% in fixed deposits.
Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cutebabe: 8:17pm On Nov 27, 2007
@Pumping, Thanks for the info i.e the xls

@All
Folks please can we be less aggressive and civil in responses on this thread, there is such a thing as respect even over the cyber.

One love
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2007
jehosaphat:

AHHHHHH!
How could I have missed such a juicy altercation. That would have been a time for proverbs and soothsayers.
@ Temmie 10
Which one be say u can tell the content of something by somethings name etc etc. Isnt Guardian newspaper the most obsolete newspaper right now with "current news" dating back to March, and some obscure newspaper "Nigerian Flashlight" is giving me timely and relevant info?/

No make me sign up as "Tommie10" or "Temm1e 10" or "Temmie 11" just now and start offering stock advice, grin grin

Necessity is the mother of invention,
Look at this poultry farmer, i can't forget the chicken and the egg o. stil makes me laugh when i remember
Btw i am havin a change of mind on the egg(bagco), i think it will actually do well.
u hav gone on leave again.
how u dey?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Sweetaura1(f): 8:19pm On Nov 27, 2007
@ Zenith Bank & Zenith Securities Nairalanders,

Kindly explain to me why your Bank must subject shares subscribers to make payment by Bank draft only. I was at your Ogunlana branch this afternoon to pay for my BAGCO shares and I was given a form to fill. I was then told to go make payment to the cashier. I told the lady that from my calculation 25,000 should be worth N97,5000, and NOT N98,733. I asked her if I was suppose to pay commission for subscription when BAGCO will pay the Bank and the issuing house for handling the transaction.

The lady told me the Bank operates by NSE policy which states that ALL transactions on shares MUST be by Bank draft. I told her I'm a big time investor and that I've always paid cash through the Banks even when I've to pay into my Broker's account.

I just see this as an extra income for Zenith Bank and only fools will fall for this. If we must pay by draft, how will the layman or non-account holder subscribe for shares.

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:20pm On Nov 27, 2007
Good results from Lasaco.

LASACO ASSURANCE PLC
UNAUDITED Q-3 RESULTS FOR THE PERIOD ENDED SEPTEMBER 30, 2007
PERIOD 2007 2006 ABSOLUTE CHANGE %CHANGE
TURNOVER (N'b) 2.09 0.54 1.55 288.6%
PBT (N'b) 0.96 0.16 0.81 514.4%
TAXATION (N'b) 0.99 0.12 0.87 739.4%
PAT (N'b) 0.87 0.15 0.72 496.1%
* Means Decrease & * Means Increase
Net Profit Margin 41.51% 27.06%
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jehosaphat: 8:42pm On Nov 27, 2007
My Bros,
I dey o, observing the goings-on from the sidelines. Bagco was a no-brainer for me. Ive already grabbed my "copieS". PHB is next, skpping Zenith due to buoyancy ( tho it might turn out right), Costain and Aiico next. End of purchases for a while,
How do you see this plan?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 8:48pm On Nov 27, 2007
jehosaphat:

My Bros,
I dey o, observing the goings-on from the sidelines. Bagco was a no-brainer for me. Ive already grabbed my "copieS". PHB is next, skpping Zenith due to buoyancy ( tho it might turn out right), Costain and Aiico next. End of purchases for a while,
How do you see this plan?
one word: "money spinning" grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by donilors: 9:00pm On Nov 27, 2007
Guys, i need advice

New into this game , and i am learning a lot from this thread. I bought Nacho @ N34 and NASCON @ 22 a while back, i have been holding on to these for a while now, looking to cut my losses and move on to more profitable stocks, but not sure if NASCOn will come to terms with my purchase price, and NAHCO has been inching up, without fundermentals backing it up. Should i cut and run??

Need advice abeg.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 9:06pm On Nov 27, 2007
donilors:

Guys, i need advice

New into this game , and i am learning a lot from this thread. I bought Nacho @ N34 and NASCON @ 22 a while back, i have been holding on to these for a while now, looking to cut my losses and move on to more profitable stocks, but not sure if NASCOn will come to terms with my purchase price, and NAHCO has been inching up, without fundermentals backing it up. Should i cut and run??

Need advice abeg.
IF I were you, i would actually sell my nahco and move on to another stock. if you do 20% with another sound stock, you have made profit that covers the loss on nahco. just my 2 cents.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by 2gd: 9:14pm On Nov 27, 2007
hmmmm i've been following this thread, it's really amazing the number of pages i have to read everyday.
i'm kinda new iand really wanna learn a lot.
i bought cutix a 9.20.do u think i should sell now? or should i wait a bit
i bought cornerstone at 4 naira and lasaco at 3.36 naira some moths ago.since i bought them they started falling, should i sell now that they are atleast very close to d amounts i boughtthem for, have been waiting for the right moment to exit these insurance stocks.what do u think?

meanwhile what about ap? the way it's been rising is realy amazing.why is it rising like that and how long do u think this will last
SOMEBODY PLS REPLY ME.THANKS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by donilors: 9:18pm On Nov 27, 2007
@Temmie10 ,

IF I were you, i would actually sell my nahco and move on to another stock. if you do 20% with another sound stock, you have made profit that covers the loss on nahco. just my 2 cents.

Whats ur take on NASCON, do u think it would come of age ? embarassed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 9:29pm On Nov 27, 2007
donilors:

@Temmie10 ,

Whats your take on NASCON, do u think it would come of age ? embarassed
i like nascon but at 16 naira or less.
You bought at 22 naira, thats pricey, if u have time on your side and giving that u're still learning, i'll advice you sell the nascon and buy phb po or some good offer that can giv u at least 50%, that helps ease the loss and puts you into the blue (profit)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by 2gd: 9:31pm On Nov 27, 2007
pls, how do i update that spreadsheet thingy
if i want to sell a stock off but also want to collect my dividend, how do i know at what time to sell off (i.e my name will be in d book)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 9:33pm On Nov 27, 2007
2gd
if u have time on your side, u might have to wait on your insurance picks
money has been released and their next results should start showing impact.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 9:35pm On Nov 27, 2007
@ temmie 10,
my guy which stocks are you looking at right now?? im confused and depressed cos i dont seem to be able to see anything now that nigerian german has left the station.
hope work is okay sha
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Kenjo(f): 9:42pm On Nov 27, 2007
@ temmie 10,
my guy which stocks are you looking at right now?? im confused and depressed because i don't seem to be able to see anything now that nigerian german has left the station.
hope work is okay sha

Me too, Please Temmie, tell us what stocks would do well within the next 3 months
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Kenjo(f): 9:44pm On Nov 27, 2007
@Temmie
I am actually thinking of FCMB, and Costain rights issue, when is Costain's PO coming out?

(1) (2) (3) ... (183) (184) (185) (186) (187) (188) (189) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.