Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,202 members, 7,829,298 topics. Date: Thursday, 16 May 2024 at 12:54 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (30) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (815823 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 10:17am On May 17, 2007
I personally don't feel confortable with Wema bank. They release their results very late and their customer service is appalling. I have not seen so many people that have accounts with them and i even the closed the small savings account i had with them because i just don't feel the bank. If anybody has concrete info on why we should invest in such a company, pls share.

@windywendy
You are funny o. The Nitel phone in my house and father's office are dead too. Nobody even remembers that they exist cos of the PTOs in town. Yesterday, I read an article in one of the dalies that a company(not sure of the name now) is planning to pay the existing shareholders and acquire the mtel part of nitel. If they succeed, then you should start seeing new MTEL lines. That is if they succeed. lipsrsealed
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pamit(m): 10:34am On May 17, 2007
Access Bank Plc joins the race

Shareholders of Access Bank Plc on Tuesday unanimously endorsed the proposed N100bn public offer of ordinary shares of the bank.

http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_articles.php?id=1073
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by feelgood(m): 1:03pm On May 17, 2007
Any s/b in the house? I bought Fidelity at 3.95 and now it is going for 8.70, Do I sell?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by odiye(m): 1:54pm On May 17, 2007
Hi guys,

I'm new to the forum and would like to find out when Access bank will be sending out their Bank certificates to people that invested in Capital bank shares?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 4:19pm On May 17, 2007
i bought a sustantial amount of acess bank at an average of N10.70 and as at yesterday, it closed at about N18 making me over bout a mill or so.

do you think i should sell it off and buy it at the reduced rate during the public offfer or still stick with it

if no, what price do u think it will rise to?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 5:43pm On May 17, 2007
@ Tmoni
You should.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 6:44pm On May 17, 2007
@ mr frank,

i should sell or i should wait n see?

thanks alot
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 7:09pm On May 17, 2007
@frank and other
Pls what is your take on the insurance sector and growth in some of the low priced stocks.Some recommendation will be appreciated.Is it ok 4 my broker to charge 1.25% 4 cert verification
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by naijafresh: 8:19pm On May 17, 2007
@Investors

Asking a "whether to buy or to sell" question is not  an easy one to answer because no one knows your strategy or general aims

If your strategy is capital gains you can not sit on your stock, you have to sell to realise your profit and buy or move onto the next stock. you should even looking at moving the money elsewhere ie capital market
You have to decide how much profit you want to go for realistically before cashing in this is difficult as your stock may not meet your target or may shoot past it making you greedy

Remember till you have sold and collected your cash, you are in possession of paper money which can disappear overnight

If you just want to park your money in safe stocks, stick to blue chip stocks as found in the banking sector giants, relax and collect your yearly dividends

Bottomline: Plan your strategy, don't get too greedy

Ciao
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enolase(m): 9:01pm On May 17, 2007
feelgood:

Any s/b in the house? I bought Fidelity at 3.95 and now it is going for 8.70, Do I sell?

Do not sell your Fidelity Bank shares. There is still room for appreciation.

Besides, they will have a share reconstruction that will double the price, followed by a stock split.

Look at Bank PHB and learn some lessons.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 10:39pm On May 17, 2007
naijafresh:

@Investors

Asking a "whether to buy or to sell" question is not an easy one to answer because no one knows your strategy or general aims

If your strategy is capital gains you can not sit on your stock, you have to sell to realise your profit and buy or move onto the next stock. you should even looking at moving the money elsewhere ie capital market
You have to decide how much profit you want to go for realistically before cashing in this is difficult as your stock may not meet your target or may shoot past it making you greedy

Remember till you have sold and collected your cash, you are in possession of paper money which can disappear overnight

If you just want to park your money in safe stocks, stick to blue chip stocks as found in the banking sector giants, relax and collect your yearly dividends

Bottomline: Plan your strategy, don't get too greedy

Ciao

Very well put.
@ Tmoni. you cant eat your cake and have it. If you think the stock has appreciated enough for you then you can sell.The major reason why I cartegorically said sell is because you were, inadvertently applying the principle of arbitrage which I had canvassed in one of my earlier posts. Its the only way you can maintain your position in the stock and yet take advantage of some of the profit .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 10:47pm On May 17, 2007
@naijafresh
welcome back.

Can you mail me the package you use for your club. You can send it to frankiriri@yahoo.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by feelgood(m): 11:08pm On May 17, 2007
Enolase, any idea when their share reconstruction is coming on?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ijogbon(m): 11:29pm On May 17, 2007
@Tmoni

This is something I have tried and it does work wonders.

You said you bought for an average price of N10.70? If the price it is currently selling for is N18 and you have made N1 million that means you have 136987 shares or there aboutz? Fine, that means you spent about N1,465,754 in total acquiring these shares? At the urrent price that would be equal to about 81431 shares.
What I would do is take back my position in the bank to my initial investment - N1.4 million which is now 81431 shares, and take N1 million from the market. That way if there is more upwards movement you can still reap considerably but if there is downwards movement you can either buy or watch.

The gurus, how does that sound for an amateur? undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:10am On May 18, 2007
ijogbon:

@Tmoni

You said you bought for an average price of N10.70? If the price it is currently selling for is N18 and you have made N1 million that means you have 136987 shares or there aboutz? Fine, that means you spent about N1,465,754 in total acquiring these shares? At the urrent price that would be equal to about 81431 shares.
What I would do is take back my position in the bank to my initial investment - N1.4 million which is now 81431 shares, and take N1 million from the market. That way if there is more upwards movement you can still reap considerably but if there is downwards movement you can either buy or watch.

Behold, a new guru is born grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:17am On May 18, 2007
enurayce:

@frank and other
Please what is your take on the insurance sector and growth in some of the low priced stocks.Some recommendation will be appreciated.Is it ok 4 my broker to charge 1.25% 4 cert verification
With the conclusion of the consolidation in that sector they are set for more business as they can now undertake big ticket insurance. However I would prefer to concentrate my effort on WAPIC and other bank related insurance firms as I beleive that the insurance companies will experience their own round of pro active recapitalisation.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tyademolu(m): 7:43am On May 18, 2007
I believe the best way to buy new shares when you have an existing portfolio is by adjusting, you could part of your old stocks which have made profit, then use it in acquiring new stocks. back then I bought about 50,000 units of Zenith bank, all I had to do was just sell 15,000 to get my initial investment back, and used it in getting oceanic bank. Basic Portfolio Readjustment. BPR! smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 9:52am On May 18, 2007
@ijogbon, thanks alot for the advice, ur calculations were spot on
i will go ahead with your reccommendation,
let me see how today ends then i will give my broker an order for monday,

congratulations ijogbon, as u do the guru lap of honour,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ijogbon(m): 10:19am On May 18, 2007
@Frankiriri and Tmoni

Ad Astra per aspera, Ad Augusta per angusta. In difficulty, striving for the stars. Through narrow paths, aiming for the heights.

Youz are far too kind. taking a bow and selfishly hugging the limelight.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 1:50pm On May 18, 2007
@ijogbon,
That is the best strategy especially if you are in it for capital gains. Who said you can't eat your cake and have it? cool

ijogbon:

@Tmoni

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 2:06pm On May 18, 2007
enurayce:

@frank and other
Please what is your take on the insurance sector and growth in some of the low priced stocks.Some recommendation will be appreciated.Is it ok 4 my broker to charge 1.25% 4 cert verification

@enurayce,
Insurance is looking good. About the certificate verification, i don't think it is right for stock brokers to charge by percentage. Some do it for free and the highest i have seen so far is 1000 naira for each certificate. Does this mean that if you have shares worth 30 million, 375000 naira automatically becomes theirs? You will feel the effect when you buy shares in bulk and personally, it doesn't make sense to me. Can you tell us the name of the stock broking firm?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ijogbon(m): 2:18pm On May 18, 2007
@Cheexy
Thank you. Na my small sense grin

Please people see the link below, Its my thread and my take on the issues therein -

https://www.nairaland.com/nigeria/topic-54328.0.html

Please contribute O !!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Ribaman(m): 3:50pm On May 18, 2007
@ Gurus,
Tmoni is not the only one with the problem of sell or hold. I am holding on to my FLOUR MILL & ASHAKACEM, is it wise to continue to do so? I bought Ashaka @36.32naira and Flourmill @ 19.26naira, should I sell or should I hold on hoping that one of them would give a good bonus/dividend? Please help your brother. Kind thanks for any ideas proffered!!!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:16pm On May 18, 2007
@ riba-man
the advise given to Tmoni applies to you also
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:36pm On May 18, 2007
@ everyone
The investment club that I run is having an inaugural meeting at the upper lounge Tantalisers 22 Road Festac Town tommorow at 5pm prompt. Admission is free.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by igbonla(m): 7:47pm On May 18, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Tmoni(m): 7:48pm On May 18, 2007
access closed at N19 today,
are they creating artificial scarcity by themselves to shore up the price?

will most-def sell on monday, made bout 2mill grin grin,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 11:09pm On May 18, 2007
@Tmoni,
Good for you grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 11:37pm On May 18, 2007
cheexy:

@ijogbon,
That is the best strategy especially if you are in it for capital gains. Who said you can't eat your cake and have it? cool

I do. This strategy is eating half your cake
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 11:44pm On May 18, 2007
ijogbon:

@Frankiriri and Tmoni

Ad Astra per aspera, Ad Augusta per angusta. In difficulty, striving for the stars. Through narrow paths, aiming for the heights.

Youz are far too kind. taking a bow and selfishly hugging the limelight.
lol grin
You are welcome. cheesy wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 11:50pm On May 18, 2007
igbonla:

All,
For those yet to know, Nigerian Wire and Cable is being liquidated. People have been buying the shares for whatever reasons; the price went up for this reason.

WEMA bank will do well with the divestment of Oodua, I asked this question sometime ago but got no follow up comment. They may not have been doing well till now but gradually coming up. I have been checking out with some brokers and haven't heard any "don't buy" advice. Just my 2 cents!
Did any broker warn investors that Nigerian Cable is under lock and key. The same brokers touted Transcorp as a juicy stock suitable for the meduim term
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 12:18am On May 19, 2007
frankiriri:

I do. This strategy is eating half your cake

Yup, thats more like it.

(1) (2) (3) ... (27) (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 47
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.