Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,161,258 members, 7,846,183 topics. Date: Friday, 31 May 2024 at 11:47 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (31) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (817923 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tyademolu(m): 12:28am On May 19, 2007
The thing is, we mostly hear about the good performance of a stock after it has appreciated. is there anyway you study the trends before it starts moving? because if you buy based on current analysis, you might actually be buying when the market is overbought.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 12:46am On May 19, 2007
@ty_ademolu
Just keep your ears to the ground. Read articles on newspapers. Buy stockswatch magazine and stick to nairaland and other websites such as proshareng.com and stockmarketnigeria.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 1:43am On May 19, 2007
@ty ademolu,

you would have to do some technical analysis. The goal of TA is to profit from trends when they recur. You need to focus on the stocks price and the daily volumes and note the rate at which volumes reacts to the going price. You can identify a trend by watching these indices . I used this in the case of Fidelity bank and the uptrend has lasted for about 4 months and still going,except for some pauses .However if the trend is very steep, i mean the price is accelerating rapidly, there is most likely going to be a sharp reversal at some point ,moreso if the uptrend is not easily explanable. The longer the trend the stronger it becomes.Your investment or trading goal, timeframe will determine you entry and exit points. I have made the mistake of entring an uptrend at reversal point but my investing goal is fairly long term so i think i will be ok . I must add that trendwatching is not easy but you can sure get better by limiting your mistakes .Thats what i do as a beginner .Goodluck
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by tyademolu(m): 1:10pm On May 19, 2007
Could anyone give me a link on how P/E and EPS are calculated? and how they are applied to project price movement.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by enurayce: 7:58pm On May 19, 2007
@Cheezy,the insurance firm is LASACO
Pls what do u all think about lasaco

@Frank,cud you pls help with some of the insurance firms that have links with banks like the eg.of wapic u mentioned
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jesuseun1(m): 7:03am On May 20, 2007
HAS ANY one recieve the share certificate of Dunlop and Trancorp public Share offer sold around january,i am yet to recieve mine.

what is happening to Diamond bank,d price has been at 10.70 for the past 2mths,can anyone explain d cause?

when is obajana cement share offer coming out?

has any one benefited from first bank u-first share loan,if yes,i need more info on it?

lastly,can anyone suggest a good stock to buy now that will yield a good ROI,will afroil,wema,SCOA,IPWA AND wtn be a good buy?I need advise from u guys.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:17am On May 20, 2007
what do you guys think about zenith?
also whats a CSC ,
Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 1:07pm On May 21, 2007
adewaleafolabi:

what do you guys think about zenith?
also whats a CSC ,
Thanks

CSCS is the number allocated to you by the Nigeria Stock Exchange so you can have shares acquired by you electronically associated with this number, it eliminates the need for share certificate.

Gurus am i right.

Zenith shares or Zenith brokers?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by phemmy26(m): 1:16pm On May 21, 2007
can one have more than one cscs number. Does it affect the one you have with your stock broker
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 2:12pm On May 21, 2007
I don't think so, I understand its like having different bank accounts. so you choose where your money/e-cert goes into
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Allcorrect(m): 4:38pm On May 21, 2007
Of course u can have more than one cscs account. I can tell u categorically that i have two accounts with two diff brothers. Nothin spoil.

House please has anione received the bonus certificates from Ecobank since their last year 1 for 1. Wondering cos they just gav anoda 90kobo. Need to know so i can seek out the brokers.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 5:20pm On May 21, 2007
CSCS stands for Central Securities Clearing and Settlement. There is a company named CSCS Ltd that does the cleaing of  securities and the settlement of the payment obligations arising therefrom. The number issued by this company is the CSCS no. You can have a seperate one for each broker that you use.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 5:20pm On May 21, 2007
@ Allcorrect
A friend has received his
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 5:23pm On May 21, 2007
Can someone please help me with where i can check my shares online, ive got my cscs numbers but dont know what to do with them   undecided
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 5:52pm On May 21, 2007
@ ty ademolu

You can learn how to calculate PE and EPS at the website investopedia. Make sure you look at trailing EPS. It is the most rigorous way to calculate EPS & PE. The site aslo has great articles on fundamental and technical analyses.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/e/eps.asp
http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/price-earningsratio.asp

If you ever get confused over any terms used in this forum or any investor report, look it up under the dictionary, acronyms, or tutorials sections of the website. Hope this helps.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:14pm On May 21, 2007
I would enjoin you guys to consider buying SKYE bank. I think it's a hidden gem. The problem is the previous reports show some underwhelming numbers. However, the profit margin (after tax) is a measly 10% vs. 20+% for Banks like GTB, Oceanic, 1st Bank,

There is now an upward trend in SKYE bank's profit margin and if the manage to hit 15% at the end of the full year, an EPS of 70k (PAT of ~N5B) is possible. At current typical PEs of 20, SKYE could be a N14 stock by Dec, double the current price!

THe cat might be out of the bag already as the price is climbing steeply. See my analysis in the attached spreadsheet.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ijogbon(m): 6:28pm On May 21, 2007
Hi House. grin

Hey !!!!!
Anybody watching Diamond bank on the SBA terminal ? I know the price has been on 10.70 since forever but now it is saying 7.35 !!! Anybody else notice?

Also, guys who are not in Naij how do you monitor your share prices, I think SBA is not reliable. Please hand in options for as near as possible to real time.

Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 6:39pm On May 21, 2007
@ ijogbon

the best source for near real-time stock updates is the Stock exchange website. See link below. Type in the name of the company, e.g "diamond" and then press "go" do not hit "enter". Choose from the list that comes up. I hear it is real time info.

http://www.nigerianstockexchange.com/quoted_companies.jsp

If you want a complete summary report, the quickest website I know of to post today's results is Zenith Securities'. My friends and I have searched tons of websites and this is the quickest to provide a complete pricelist as soon as the market closes. It should be user-friendly.

http://www.zenithsecuritiesng.com/marketanalysis.php

Enjoy.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ijogbon(m): 6:45pm On May 21, 2007
@easimoni
Spasiba

I owe yer one. grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 7:51pm On May 21, 2007
and http://www.cashcraft.com/pricelistprint.asp

Dis Guy:

Can someone please help me with where i can check my shares online, ive got my cscs numbers but don't know what to do with them undecided

any takers?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mishoo(m): 8:00pm On May 21, 2007
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mishoo(m): 8:02pm On May 21, 2007
Has anyone recieved transcorp's certificate?? I feel like selling mine ASAP.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by adewaleafolabi(m): 8:56pm On May 21, 2007
i meant zenith shares
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cheexy: 11:42pm On May 21, 2007
mishoo:

Has anyone recieved transcorp's certificate?? I feel like selling mine ASAP.

I don't know of anyone that has received. Any one who doesn't know the basics should just go to stockmarketnigeria.com ,register get the free ebook and read.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 12:03am On May 22, 2007
Dis Guy:

Can someone please help me with where i can check my shares online, ive got my cscs numbers but don't know what to do with them undecided
@Disguy try

http://www.cscsnigeria.com/modules.php?name=Content&pa=showpage&pid=15

Not sure the online facility is working.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 12:12am On May 22, 2007
Thanks thats what im looking for; you're a life saver wink
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 10:57am On May 22, 2007
Dis Guy:

Thanks thats what im looking for; you're a life saver wink
U're welcome
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jesuseun1(m): 3:20pm On May 22, 2007
HAS ANY one recieve the share certificate of Dunlop and Trancorp public Share offer sold around january,i am yet to recieve mine.

what is happening to Diamond bank,d price has been at 10.70 for the past 2mths,can anyone explain d cause?

when is obajana cement share offer coming out?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 4:35pm On May 22, 2007
I think obajana will be coming out later on this year towards the end maybe december

Oceanic bank? ?
I think nigeria companies should find a way to start giving out share certificates faster
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pamit(m): 8:58pm On May 22, 2007
I wonder if anyone has read the CSL research report on proshare: http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_articles.php?id=1055
that Zenith is presently overvalued at N50. I find it difficult to agree with their explanation, because I believe it's worth is even going to increase based on speculations of bonus and scrip issue. My stockbroker also advised me against selling, but I wonder if I am being sentimental. What's your take on this?

Also read that Access offer will be 4.7 billion ordinary shares at N14.90. That depends on NSE approval though.

@windywendy, pls how much is it to open with FSDH?.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:34pm On May 22, 2007
I wonder if anyone has read the CSL research report on proshare: http://www.proshareng.com/myproshare/portal_articles.php?id=1055
that Zenith is presently overvalued at N50. I find it difficult to agree with their explanation, because I believe it's worth is even going to increase based on speculations of bonus and scrip issue. My stockbroker also advised me against selling, but I wonder if I am being sentimental. What's your take on this?

Zenith is overvalued with respect to the rest of the opportunities in the Stock market. You won't lose money holding on to your shares for long, but you stand to makes less than if you bought, say, GTB, Wema or Skye. Or any of the other stocks recommended on proshare (which I think, by the way, offers the best buy/sell advice for naija stocks). Zenith has a high PE and a low ROE, both reasons for the price to decline.

that said, the naija market psyche tends to favor shares with bonus even in the face of bad results. If zenith gives a bonus, the price will climb and the decline steeply once the bonus is issued.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by member67023: 4:58pm On May 23, 2007
@ Stock gurus, is it possible to update my postal address on my CSCS account?
If not, is it possible for me to transfer my stocks from one CSCS account to another of my CSCS account(updated) without selling the stocks.
The reason I want to do this is because I no longer use the postal address on the old account.

(1) (2) (3) ... (28) (29) (30) (31) (32) (33) (34) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 37
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.