Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,167,288 members, 7,867,761 topics. Date: Friday, 21 June 2024 at 11:55 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (293) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820977 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by foruma(m): 7:14am On Jan 07, 2008
Dear Nairalanders.

Happy new year.

As my contribution to this forum. I have created a folder on Rapidshare which will contain information and stuff on .

Presently I have the following.

Daily stock prices from the NSE. (will be updated today, starting with 2 Jan daily price listing)
Investment books
Investment softwares.
Other misc items.

Note for the daily stock prices (I will update that today_ from 2 Jan 2008 till date),

Right now I have the NSE bonuses and dividends for 2007
Aptistock
Trading for a living
Rich dad poor dad.

This is dedicated to Nairaland. Happy investing in the year 2008.

[url=http://rapidshare.com/users/9OSIZN[/color]]http://rapidshare.com/users/9OSIZN[/url]

You can book mark the web page above as I will update as often as possible.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by harrisoft(m): 8:50am On Jan 07, 2008
@ Fatherof2
pls have you sold you VitaFoam? if no when is your exit date.

@ all
where is Wanaj0? something is missing oooo,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 8:57am On Jan 07, 2008
@ Fatherof2,

@ololufemi
  FCMB will present two opportunities like i wrote on monday.Today would have been good for you to takeout the profit you've made(and also while buyers were available) so you can reinvest the profit next week thursday or friday and get more units. The 9 months is what you await on that stock.

Definitely, person must listen to him papa and me I no dey stubborn. Besides it seems I now have a lot of brothers and sisters both nuclear and extended under the fatherof2 family umbrella.

Sold my Oceanic and some FCMB as stated. Looking for a price drop to move in for the 9 month results.

Also reving up my engine once Bank PHB is lifted off TS.

Ride on Baba.
E ku ise,
E ti poju,
You are too much.
I still dey loyal.
grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

I thank you very much Fatherof2 and Respect to all the gurus, your boy hails una.

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by invisible2(m): 9:38am On Jan 07, 2008
IBTC has done around 20 percent in the last one month alone, shooting its PE too high, i feel the price is too high and can only go down, i am considering a sale. Any contrary opinion?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:43am On Jan 07, 2008
@pumping777

thank u for the answers man. More insight shed as usual. grabdaloot, ur strategy has its merits too and is workable as u have proved with 1000% ROI, but to be clear, it is usable not for investing (which u agreed with) but rather for short term gigs and that is helped by using the PEG as u rightly said. the bottom line is basically if u have found a formula that works for u and helps u meet ur financial goals then by all means stick wth it. u shouldn't change a winning team.

happy investing
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 9:46am On Jan 07, 2008
@invisible

regarding IBTC, its probably best to compare its PE with that of other players in its industry for one, and then try use some other indicators to gain more of an idea of the stock. look at its 52wk high and low, look at its dividend yield and EPS.

hope this helps
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 10:15am On Jan 07, 2008
lets see if i can add a few more ratios before my clinic starts this morning

Price/book ratio:
calculated by dividing the current price of the stock by its book vlue(obviously grin). Now book value of a company in clear terms is just how much a company is worth if it were liquidated completely ie sold off. book value is calculated by dividing the common shareholders equity by the number of outstanding shares. so again price/book ratio is price of stock/(common share holders equity/number of outstanding shares.

ideally u want a number less than i which means that u are paying less for the share than its liquidation value.
BUT if u have a company wth a number greater than 2 don't rule it out completely if the business is earning good money and has a network, good brand name etc. example, coca cola. anyone can have a great formula for making cola but who has the brand name or distribution network of cocacola, see the point.
Use price/book ratio along with other ratios for a fuller picture to help with ur decision making

Price/sales ratio: calculated by dividing total Market capitalization by last 4 quarters of sales revenue. Can also be calculated more easily if u already know the price per share (we get that everyday on the NSE), and the sales per share (calculated by dividing the sales revenue by the number of outstanding shares).
example- our friend company A has 100 outstanding shares. its share price is say N25 and it makes sales in 2007 worth N100,000. its total market cap. is 100*25=2500. its PSR is therefore 2500/100,000=.025. this means u are paying N0.025 for every Naira of the companies sales.

PSR is good to use cuz in many ways it helps alleviate the fears inherent in EPS which is more open to manipulation. PSR is less likely and i dare say impossible to manipulate unless the company is downright fraudulent and lying, because it is basically the revenue the company has made from its sales chikena!

remember though that the EPS AND PSR are not mutually exclusive and therefore both should be used

Next ratio.

ROI Return on equity.
calculated by dividing net income by total shareholders equity(preferred + common euity)* 100
Best that this percentage be nice and big. i think 25% and above (not being greedy cheesy cheesy)

gotta run, work begins.
happy investing
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 10:18am On Jan 07, 2008
@ All,

Points to note:

1   UBA still has a low PE compared to all other stocks in the market.
2   The above suggest it is currently a good buy compared to other stocks
2   UBA was bearish during the crazy bull run
3   A quarter's report is expected from UBA and hints suggest it will swing the price northwards
4   Fatherof2 recommended it which serves as a double/triple check  grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ordered 10,000 units of UBA today.

I also want to state here that if UBA performs as expected to hit N62 to N65, Expect a price rally war from Zenith.

Insurance stocks will be enticing much later in the year.

Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 10:37am On Jan 07, 2008
@aktopgun
thanks for the tutorials.
any chance u can tell where to get the values for the different factors required for the calculations.
the likes of quarter earning, outstanding shares, earning per shares , etc.

if it is all in the prospectus, where can i get it?

I dont think the gurus are bothered about fidelity because no one answers any questions asper FIDELITY.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Princesege(m): 10:38am On Jan 07, 2008
Templer01:

Hello everybody, I'm very grateful to God that i found this site, i've been  a "silent reader" for over a year, all thanks to u all, especially the gurus, i've made outsanding profits on my investments, Na God i take thank una.
Please i've got 55k units of DSR and 24k units of IBTC for sale, anyone interested should mail me knightangel2k@yahoo.com thank u (pardon me if i aint suppose to post this here)
Name your price.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by afamako: 10:51am On Jan 07, 2008
This is serious,  LET THE PARTY BEGIN!!

UBA PLC
1ST QUARTER RESULTS FOR THE PERIOD ENDED 31-12-2007
                        2007          2006    %CHANGE
GROSS EARNINGS          N38.981b      N22.1b    76
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION  N10.649b      N5.307b  101
TAXATION               (N1.483b)     (N805m)    84
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION   N9.166b       N4.502b  104
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 10:59am On Jan 07, 2008
afamako:

This is serious, LET THE PARTY BEGIN!!

UBA PLC
1ST QUARTER RESULTS FOR THE PERIOD ENDED 31-12-2007
2007 2006 %CHANGE
GROSS EARNINGS N38.981b N22.1b 76
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION N10.649b N5.307b 101
TAXATION (N1.483b) (N805m) 84
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION N9.166b N4.502b 104

If this is serious, check out Zenith H2 result below. Remember the twins ibeji factor cool cool cool

ZENITH BANK PLC
HALF YEAR RESULT FOR PERIOD ENDED 31-12-2007
2007 2006 %CHANGE
GROSS EARNINGS N57.589b N47.991b 20
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION N20.142b N12.838b 57
TAXATION (N4.431b) (N3.367b) 32
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION N15.711b N9.471b 66
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by noshaking2(m): 11:06am On Jan 07, 2008
ololufemi:

@ All,

Points to note:

1 UBA still has a low PE compared to all other stocks in the market.
2 The above suggest it is currently a good buy compared to other stocks
2 UBA was bearish during the crazy bull run
3 A quarter's report is expected from UBA and hints suggest it will swing the price northwards
4 Fatherof2 recommended it which serves as a double/triple check grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

Ordered 10,000 units of UBA today.

I also want to state here that if UBA performs as expected to hit N62 to N65, Expect a price rally war from Zenith.

Insurance stocks will be enticing much later in the year.

Thanks.

Rightly said re ibeji factor Zenith vs UBA. Check out the results of the 2 said companies above.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by afamako: 11:10am On Jan 07, 2008
If this is serious, check out Zenith H2 result below. Remember the twins ibeji factor   

ZENITH BANK PLC
                                                            2007        2006     %CHANGE
GROSS EARNINGS                            N57.589b    N47.991b   20
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION              N20.142b    N12.838b   57
TAXATION                                       (N4.431b)   (N3.367b)   32
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION                 N15.711b    N9.471b    66

Didn't see the Zenith,  Conclusion Double celebration  smiley smiley smiley smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by upward(m): 11:15am On Jan 07, 2008
Hello all, HAPPY 2008 to us all, wish you all teh best in this new year and the most profits in your investments.

Considering the results posted above on GTB and Zenith, this is really serious. I expect the bull run to be massive following Zenith TS, I'm holding on this one.

@ Fatherof2.
It's amazing the extent of expertise and talent in studying and understanding the NSE you ahve exhibited. Like Ololufemi said, your disciples are really increasing on this thread and I want to say I'm already one of them. I hail you Baba, and you can be sure I'll be noting all your posts. The questions will come later, but let's see how the market will be this week.

@Ololufemi,
My brother I salute you. I see you are making the best of the NSE. God's grace.

Where is Oga wanajo??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 11:16am On Jan 07, 2008
sellas,
found this .
might waunt to archive it

http://www.intercontinentalbankplc.com/admin/otherimg/THINGS%20TO%20LOOK%20FOR%20IN%20AN%20INVESTMENT.pdf
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 11:26am On Jan 07, 2008
anyone got outstanding shares for UBA?
i have 114986000000, i think this isnt accurate or am i wrong?

if PAT is 9.166B, i am getting an eps of 0.797 and a PE of 62.!!! I KNOW I'M WRONG.

Anyone got anything different?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by afamako: 11:28am On Jan 07, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
If this is serious, check out Zenith H2 result below. Remember the twins ibeji factor    

ZENITH BANK PLC
                                                           2007        2006     %CHANGE
GROSS EARNINGS                            N57.589b    N47.991b   20
PROFIT BEFORE TAXATION              N20.142b    N12.838b   57
TAXATION                                       (N4.431b)   (N3.367b)   32
PROFIT AFTER TAXATION                 N15.711b    N9.471b    66

Didn't see the Zenith,  Conclusion Double celebration    

Actually I think UBA has better potentials in the near/medium term considering no of outstanding shares. UBA is 11+billion while Zenith will be close to 15billion post offer.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by afamako: 11:31am On Jan 07, 2008
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------
anyone got outstanding shares for UBA?
i have 114986000000, i think this isnt accurate or am i wrong?

if PAT is 9.166B, i am getting an eps of 0.797 and a PE of 62.!!! I KNOW I'M WRONG.

Anyone got anything different?

If you annualise the UBA PAT, you should be getting an EPS of N3.18 and PE of 15.3x
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 11:34am On Jan 07, 2008
@afamako

bros u are true to ur name. i figured it out many thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 11:54am On Jan 07, 2008
@ aktopgun,

My PE is hovering around 17to 20. This is lower than Zenit which is about 24 on my radar sheet.

Zenith blinks red though mild while UBA is on yellow.

I just pray they bought
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by teto: 12:06pm On Jan 07, 2008
pls friends can you enlighten me why i should buy into dsr now my stock broker asked to do so but ineed your help.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 12:50pm On Jan 07, 2008
pumping777:

Just browsing the thread to pick out names of stocks others have picked without doing any analysis yourself, is one sure way of learning absolutely nothing.

A lil belated input but the significance cant be undersetimated

Pumping , once again you put into words.More grease 2 ur elbows.

@newbies and not -so new , please read it over and over.The real question is what you can do without this thread .Remember CHANGE is a costant. goodluck .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 12:56pm On Jan 07, 2008
@ Upward

@Ololufemi,
My brother I salute you. I see you are making the best of the NSE. God's grace.

Thanks my brother and all praise be to GOD Almighty, the provider of resources to invest and the multiplier of all our investment.
With him, I dey strong.

Willing to share info on this thread and help us all move to the hundreds of millions club

Amen

@ Fatherof2,

Baba, e ku ise oh. I am sure you can see your handiwork and that your student is not doing badly.

E se pupo.

More gbosa for baba ke.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by upward(m): 1:00pm On Jan 07, 2008
@ Ololufemi,
I didn't know you will be posting anything that has a "light-red" for Zenith on this thread, because you've been a strong advocate for them even long before the PO. Anyway that makes a lot of sense, sentiments should not blind us from comparative truth about companies.

Thanks for your post, I was about saying you didn't notice I was saying hello.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 1:16pm On Jan 07, 2008
@ Upward,

I dey hail you upward my brother.

Zenith has a light red but its PE on my radar for 23 is still better when compared to some averaging about 35 to 40 in the industry.

Zenith is a twin brother to UBA and you how twins are when they compete.

If UBA reaches N100 (just an example but if it reach, I no go mind, grin grin grin grin grin) Zenith will give it a hot chase.

If UBA goes to the moon, Zenith must follow it.

If UBA goes to the bathroom, Zenith is waiting at the door.

The PE and sentiments still favour Zenith.

I own some, will take up my rights, buy on the floor and also purchase the PO.

This year na my yearof bountiful harvest,

Sorry our year of a bountiful harvest.

Amen
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by upward(m): 1:21pm On Jan 07, 2008
@ Ololufemi,
Very well-said, it's good to go for fundamentally sound stock, but to also know WHEN to BUY and SELL. I own a little of Zenith, yet to get my order on UBA executed(just hope the train hasn't left me behind). Looks like I've missed the Diamond Train.

God is the giver of wealth(teaches us to make wealth) so we must acknowledge Him in all we do. Let's wait for the market to close then some more stock analysis will begin.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 1:57pm On Jan 07, 2008
I beg o. Is this UBA result for real
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 2:02pm On Jan 07, 2008
@all
y is UBA price still going down?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by upward(m): 2:08pm On Jan 07, 2008
http://www.nigeriansecurities.com/dailyposition.php

Looks like the bears have not gone too far. Most stocks lost today, almost all the insurance stocks lost some amounts today, just for a few. What can one say to NSE??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by barge(m): 2:16pm On Jan 07, 2008
upward:

http://www.nigeriansecurities.com/dailyposition.php

Looks like the bears have not gone too far. Most stocks lost today, almost all the insurance stocks lost some amounts today, just for a few. What can one say to NSE??

no suprise here , the profit takers were bound to descend .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TeeHay(m): 2:18pm On Jan 07, 2008
People,
This year is already looking very intretsing!!!!, Check out Oceanic's 1st Quarter:

2007                       2006         Change
Gross Income             31.114                    12.943           +140.39%
PBT (=N=Bill)              10.922                    4.200             +160.05%
PAT (NB)                      8.847                     3.499              +152.84%

Those with Oceanic PO Certificates, this looks interesting, can this earnings absolve all the prsent shares + PO Shares and remain with projected EPS above 2??

By the way what is happening to WAPCO anyone got some gist??, lost N4.12 today,

(1) (2) (3) ... (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) (296) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 57
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.