Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,159,269 members, 7,839,348 topics. Date: Friday, 24 May 2024 at 05:24 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (292) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (817081 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:17pm On Jan 06, 2008
koksieboy:

Either Windows Defender and Avast antivirus should do the trick and both are free.

Mcafee, Spyware Doctor and Windows Defender did not detect any Trojan or virus in the downloaded files (after extraction) or during the installation.

Can you confirm the name and extension of the file(s) you detected?

Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 9:21pm On Jan 06, 2008
Mr. Risky:

Kudos for the tutorial. On PE ratios, may I kindly ask: Which is more prudent to use, the TRAILING PE or the PROJECTED PE? For a growth stock like C & I Leasing a friend is even ready to buy at N10- N12 today considering what he believes are the potentials of the company. And yet he is looking at a 24 month from now. Don't you think he will be proved right sometime soon? And also many I see are using 30 as standard PE for the insurance industry considering also the new WIND that is blowing within that sector. What is safe? Trailing PE or Projected PE?
Oya, we are listening. Thanks

Projected PE is more useful. There can be surprises if projections are not met, but that is a different kettle of fish.

If an insurance stock has a Trailing PE of 40 right now, but you can project a PE of 10 in a year's time, then it still makes a good buy. Comparing the trailing PE with the projected PE also gives a picture of the expected growth rate of the company.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 9:25pm On Jan 06, 2008
Princesege:

Hello gurus,
The following stocks are siad to be good buys for this week. Can the gurus in the house come together to analyse the tenecity of the recommendation? Waiting for your contribution.

Company                Basis of Recommendation                                      Remark                                                      

1. Unitybnk                      Relatively stable price   Growth stock                Buy                                                      

Price appreciation        

2.Lasaco                          3Q PAT grew by 496.14%

Turnover in 3Q is 280.62%                                  Buy

EPS is 0.63k                

3.UACN                        Improved 2Q PAT by 43.99%

Expectation of Bonus                                            Buy

4.UBA                           Expectation of 1Q PBT to be N15b

Relatively stable price                                           Buy

5.Wapco                     2Q PAT growth is 12.5%

Price appreciation                                                Buy                                                                  

6.Intercont                 2Q PAT growth is 72.65%

Turnover grew by 82.61% in 2Q                         Buy

Declaration of 35k interim dividend

7.Nem Insurance         Undervalued

3Q PAT grew by 2292.03%                                Buy

3QTurnover growth is 220.873%  

8.Access Bank Plc        1Q growth by 190.566% in PAT

Turnover growth in 1Q is 102.180%                Buy

9.Linkassure                  Undervalued

2Q Turnover grew by 137.95%                       Buy

PAT growth in 2Q is 1017.39%

10.GTBank Plc              Improved 2Q by 54.78%

Turnover growth                                         Buy

11.Cornerstone          Undervalued

Improved 3Q PAT by 853.23% in PAT          Buy                              

Growth stock

12.FCMB Plc                 Improved 2Q PAT by 139.60%

Turnover growth is 101.085%                               Buy

13.Guinea  Insurance   Undervalued

2Q PAT growth is 120.664%                                Buy

Growth stock              

THE END
I NEED AN OBJECTIVE OPINIONS CONECERNING THOSE AFOREMENTIONED STOCKS.                                                                          

Definately all of them are good buys for the next 6months.
My only problem is the word " this week".
The only this week buy stock i see there is UBA.
Its still cheap. Those insurance companies no be this week oh,but maybe long term ok (4,5 and 6months).
Let some of those insurance come down small.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Princesege(m): 9:43pm On Jan 06, 2008
FatherOF2:

Its still cheap. Those insurance companies no be this week oh,but maybe long term ok (4,5 and 6months).

@FatherOF2
Thanks for your opinion.
I have placed a buy order for UBA since last wednesday but no success. Is there anybody on this forum who wants to sell? Pls let me know.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 9:49pm On Jan 06, 2008
Princesege:

@FatherOF2
Thanks for your opinion.
I have placed a  buy order for UBA since last wednesday but no success. Is there anybody on this forum who wants to sell? Please let me know.

Are you sure your broker is reliable? Since I have been using my broker, only once he has failed to execute my order SAME DAY. Even when some thought I couldn't find AG LEVENTIS to buy, he found for me. UBA is not ON BID why has he not bought for you? Ask him and let us know, please.

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Princesege(m): 9:56pm On Jan 06, 2008
FatherOF2:

@FatherOF2
Thanks for your opinion.
I have placed a  buy order for UBA since last wednesday but no success. Is there anybody on this forum who wants to sell? Pls let me know.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Princesege(m): 10:00pm On Jan 06, 2008
Mr. Risky:

@Mr.Risky
Whos is your stock broker?
I use cashcraft. They have been ok until last week after when all my orders have not been executed.
I will still find out why?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ezegold4we: 10:26pm On Jan 06, 2008
i think the stocks to buy are all ok but i want to correct an impression there regarding the eps of lasaco,father of 2,pls their current eps now is 29 and not 63 as u wrote in ur quote incasing u are using the 63 eps as a buy option,thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by koksieboy(m): 10:34pm On Jan 06, 2008
pumping777:

Mcafee, Spyware Doctor and Windows Defender did not detect any Trojan or virus in the downloaded files (after extraction) or during the installation.

Thanks.

I'd suggest u do a thorough complete scan of your machine.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Prince11(m): 10:38pm On Jan 06, 2008
Universal Insurance PP

Before commiting a significant percentage of my portfolio to this PP. I want to ask here if it is good or bad idea. My expectation is no less than 50% return, and I no go fit touch the money until Jan 09.

Please tell me if you know anything about this company.  Thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bigjay01(m): 10:40pm On Jan 06, 2008
pumping777:

Thanks.

Mcafee internet security suite 2007 detected and removed keylogger-Ardamax.dll when i was trying to install, but i couldnt install the program afterwards afterwards
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 11:15pm On Jan 06, 2008
Princesege:

@Mr.Risky
Whos is your stock broker?
I use cashcraft. They have been ok until  last week after when all my orders have not been executed.
I will still find out why?

My Brokers are MBC Securities. You can reach them on Mbcsec.com. So far, they have delivered. What I am not comfortable with is there account opening sum. If recommended by one of their clients they can accept N1m for a start, don't know if they still do that. Otherwise it is N5m as at the time I commenced with them. One thing I enjoy is that before 5pm anyday of transaction, my account is updated. They are nicer than the three others that I use. Contemplating concentrating my portfolio in their dormain this year.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 11:23pm On Jan 06, 2008
ezegold4we:

i think the stocks to buy are all ok but i want to correct an impression there regarding the eps of lasaco,father of 2,please their current eps now is 29 and not 63 as u wrote in your quote incasing u are using the 63 eps as a buy option,thanks

Ah i no do eps quote oh,abeg check well whether na my name dey there oh,which chapter you see that post sir.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jesuseun1(m): 11:24pm On Jan 06, 2008
PLS GUYS,When is d TS on fidelity bank be lifted.i will appreciate your reply soon.

tHANKS
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Achika(f): 11:29pm On Jan 06, 2008
JUST A FEW THINGS I COMPILED WHILE LEARNING THE ROPES, I HOPE IT IS OF USE ESPECIALLY TO BEGINNERS

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 11:30pm On Jan 06, 2008
@AKtopgun

Nice of you to dedicate some time to educate others with your wealth of knowledge but I'd beg to differ on one of your philosophies. The idea that a company's PE ratio should only be compared to companies in that same sector is fast becoming void because when I invest money in the petroleum sector, that money is not different from that invested in the banking sector so if the average PE of the banking sector is 30 and that of the petroleum sector is 15, I'd rather put my money in the petroleum sector.  Remeber the age old saying that the market discounts everything. so eventually the market will move up the firm with a PE of 15 to its right price. Companies have board meetings at the end of every financial year to determine what %age of PAT should be paid out as dividend. Most often that not, that percentage is a constant for most firms and only when there is tremendous growth in value of its stock  will they decide to do a stock split popularly known as bonus in Nigeria and misused by companies that have fallen short in their business to appease investors.  Rather what I feel is that presently the PE ratio of most sectors incorporates the growth rate associated with that sector. That is why most insurance firms have PE's in the 60 and above range. Like wise a whole market and that is why the avg PE of the NSE is now about 35 as agianst the norm of 20 suggested by the gurus of the world market as the avg for most markets. I think the PEG; price earnings growth ratio is what we are currently operating with in Nigeria without knowing it.
Your tots are welcom
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Octupus(f): 11:49pm On Jan 06, 2008
@AKTOPGUN.
I am glad and also impressed to see that you are a Psychiatrist and yet have so much financial education.For long Nigerian Drs have been shortchanged by the system which keeps them so "hopelessly" bound to their humanitarian jobs that they are completely shielded from such knowledge.You must be an inspiration to many other Nigerian Physicians reading this thread,who have wondered for years how and why their contemporaries(many times not necessarily brainier in class)have always done better than them financially.Thankfully,all that is gradually changing.The likes of u will continue to be an inspiration to them.Drs need to take a break and get some financial and biz education.(Their, often times, bewildered wives, will be better off for it!). Perhaps this should be inculcated into their training curricula.

I hope you are spreading the knowledge amongst your colleagues wherever you work.

Keep up the good work and many thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 12:08am On Jan 07, 2008
grabdaloot

i differ a bit, no not a bit, a lot actually.dont lets compare apples and oranges. while they are both fruits, they contain different things.
companies in the same sector are similar in every sense of the word because they do the same business and therefore need the same expertise, infrastructure etc. thats why we are able to compare them. what would a bank and an oil company have in common? the are both companies i guess but thats about it. i'm sure thats why stock exchanges arrange companies into sectors

hope this helps

thanks pumping for answering the question on PE
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 12:13am On Jan 07, 2008
achika,

nice one girl. another weapon in the arsenal
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 12:24am On Jan 07, 2008
Achika:

JUST A FEW THINGS I COMPILED WHILE LEARNING THE ROPES, I HOPE IT IS OF USE ESPECIALLY TO BEGINNERS

Thanks for sharing this, I have saved the doc for myself and for future useage.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ngegy: 12:35am On Jan 07, 2008
Hello good pple,
I need NSE data to use on Amibroker. I`m sure i dont have to compile it from scratch. does anybody know where I can download the quotes?
PLS help
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:48am On Jan 07, 2008
grabdaloot:

@AKtopgun

Nice of you to dedicate some time to educate others with your wealth of knowledge but I'd beg to differ on one of your philosophies. The idea that a company's PE ratio should only be compared to companies in that same sector is fast becoming void because when I invest money in the petroleum sector, that money is not different from that invested in the banking sector so if the average PE of the banking sector is 30 and that of the petroleum sector is 15, I'd rather put my money in the petroleum sector. Remeber the age old saying that the market discounts everything. so eventually the market will move up the firm with a PE of 15 to its right price. Companies have board meetings at the end of every financial year to determine what %age of PAT should be paid out as dividend. Most often that not, that percentage is a constant for most firms and only when there is tremendous growth in value of its stock will they decide to do a stock split popularly known as bonus in Nigeria and misused by companies that have fallen short in their business to appease investors. Rather what I feel is that presently the PE ratio of most sectors incorporates the growth rate associated with that sector. That is why most insurance firms have PE's in the 60 and above range. Like wise a whole market and that is why the avg PE of the NSE is now about 35 as agianst the norm of 20 suggested by the gurus of the world market as the avg for most markets. I think the PEG; price earnings growth ratio is what we are currently operating with in Nigeria without knowing it.
Your tots are welcom

I have to disagree with you here. The reason why you should only compare companies in the same sector is that forward PEs mean nothing if you don't factor in the potential growth rate of the company/industry. It will interest you to know that Dangote Flour and Flour Mills are trading at PEs about half that of the banks. Reason is that the rate of growth of these companies is nowhere near the banks currently.

So you can see the possibility of a PE of 15/17 in the food industry holding around the same value as a PE of 20/25 in the banking industry.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Octupus(f): 2:00am On Jan 07, 2008
Achika:

@Achika,
Thanks for this lovely addendum to aktopgun's tutorials.I guess you must be one of those silently reading gurus on this thread,waiting to explode.Keep it up.We are ever waiting to learn how to fish.

Mnay thanks.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ManJiro(m): 2:23am On Jan 07, 2008
koksieboy:

I'd suggest u do a thorough complete scan of your machine.

@ Pumping777

Use Avasts: its free
The file it detected was: Win32:Ardamax-gen [Tool]
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by grabdaloot(m): 2:25am On Jan 07, 2008
pumping777:

I have to disagree with you here. The reason why you should only compare companies in the same sector is that forward PEs mean nothing if you don't factor in the potential growth rate of the company/industry. It will interest you to know that Dangote Flour and Flour Mills are trading at PEs about half that of the banks. Reason is that the rate of growth of these companies is nowhere near the banks currently.

So you can see the possibility of a PE of 15/17 in the food industry holding around the same value as a PE of 20/25 in the banking industry.

@ pumping and aktopgun

the bottomline I would guess is what is your objective for being in the market if it is investment then you could compare "apples to apples" but for me and now my objective is capital gain. Most of the price movement in 2007 was the market moving up firms to where they should be based on their PE (UPL, LONGMAN, AGLEVENT (now you can see that thier PEs' at the turn of last year were all below 10)  the banks and insurance companies just moved because of their growth potential) . the dividend hunters also favour PE comparison across sectors. Assuming you had 100k to 'invest', would you buy a stock that is N50 whose dividend is N1 or would you buy one that is N3 but dividend is 15k The market reacted to this kind of situation a lot last year and will still do so this year. If you had compared to the PE of the conglomerates amongst themselves which one would you have bought then?  I am not trying to say that PE shouldn't be compared amongst a sector but to me that is purely for long term investors. If you are looking for capital gain (best growth prospect for your money) then you should go across the sector to see which company has the lowest PE. I've used this method for sometime and it hasn't failed me (>1000% ROI in 2006/7). I would have loved to give some examples of stocks to watch out for but since I have not finished taking my position in some of them, I am to scared to mention them here. But in due time I will. By and large I still feel that PEG should be factored when the PE is above 20-25 to know if the stock is still a good buy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Favour08(m): 2:37am On Jan 07, 2008
@Grabdaloot

How do you use PEG to pick stocks. Perhaps you can shed light on companies which you've already taken positions on.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by abocana: 3:56am On Jan 07, 2008
@grabdaloot, can u kindly mention names of those companies? i take god beg u.

I'm serious researching into good companies to invest on this year,prefer IPO.

i wouldn't mind list of up-coming IPO soon.

I will be greatful for information from other reader,nairaland is the main source of information i have cuz.,i don't
reside in nigeria.

Thanks guys.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 4:03am On Jan 07, 2008
grabdaloot:

@ pumping and aktopgun

the bottomline I would guess is what is your objective for being in the market if it is investment then you could compare "apples to apples" but for me and now my objective is capital gain. Most of the price movement in 2007 was the market moving up firms to where they should be based on their PE (UPL, LONGMAN, AGLEVENT (now you can see that their PEs' at the turn of last year were all below 10)  the banks and insurance companies just moved because of their growth potential) . the dividend hunters also favour PE comparison across sectors. Assuming you had 100k to 'invest', would you buy a stock that is N50 whose dividend is N1 or would you buy one that is N3 but dividend is 15k The market reacted to this kind of situation a lot last year and will still do so this year. If you had compared to the PE of the conglomerates amongst themselves which one would you have bought then?  I am not trying to say that PE shouldn't be compared amongst a sector but to me that is purely for long term investors. If you are looking for capital gain (best growth prospect for your money) then you should go across the sector to see which company has the lowest PE. I've used this method for sometime and it hasn't failed me (>1000% ROI in 2006/7). I would have loved to give some examples of stocks to watch out for but since I have not finished taking my position in some of them, I am to scared to mention them here. But in due time I will. By and large I still feel that PEG should be factored when the PE is above 20-25 to know if the stock is still a good buy

Fundamental analysis is not the way for short term trading which I believe is your strategy. The market can be stubborn and takes it's time in raising the price of the stock to it's fair value.

So question.  Do you think it will make a good arguement to say that you are better off buying Ikeja Hotels that is growing at 25% annually at todays's price than to buy CILeasing which is growing at 200% annually because it has a PE that is less than half of CILeasing?

If you want to make the playing field more level across industries, like you suggested, PEG will be very helpful.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Favour08(m): 4:46am On Jan 07, 2008
@PUMPING007
Please explain how you use PEG to value stocks. Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 6:14am On Jan 07, 2008
Favour08:

@PUMPING007
Please explain how you use PEG to value stocks. Thanks

Chei!!! 007 ke. I don become James Bond be that.

See info on PEG ratio here.

http://www.investopedia.com/terms/p/pegratio.asp

hhttp://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/PEG_ratio
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by jdizzy(m): 6:46am On Jan 07, 2008
Unity Bank is trading at a P/E of around 100 (unless my figures are wrong). Why exactly is this stock attractive to anyone?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Templer01: 7:08am On Jan 07, 2008
Hello everybody, I'm very grateful to God that i found this site, i've been a "silent reader" for over a year, all thanks to u all, especially the gurus, i've made outsanding profits on my investments, Na God i take thank una.
Pls i've got 55k units of DSR and 24k units of IBTC for sale, anyone interested should mail me knightangel2k@yahoo.com thank u (pardon me if i aint suppose to post this here)

(1) (2) (3) ... (289) (290) (291) (292) (293) (294) (295) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 87
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.