Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,160,609 members, 7,843,943 topics. Date: Wednesday, 29 May 2024 at 01:04 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (497) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (817731 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Omoba3(m): 3:38am On Feb 18, 2008
loma:

Bull Market is a random market movement causing an investor to mistake himself for a financial genius.

Bear Market is a 6 to 18 month period when the kids get no allowance, the wife gets no jewelry and the husband gets no sex.

A long term investment is a short term investment that failed. e.g the Nascon 1-day sale last year

Economics is an extremely useful method of employment for economists.

The market is weird. Every time one guy sells, another one buys, and they both think they're smart.

The best time to buy anything is last year

Technical analysis is the art of drawing a crooked line from an unproved assumption to a foregone conclusion.

A technical analyst is a person who thinks that nine women can produce a child in one month.

Spend at least as much time researching a stock as you would choosing a refrigerator.

Remember the First Law of Technical Analysis: For every analysis, there is an equal and opposite analysis--so for every bullish analysis, there is a bearish one. The Second Law of Technical Analysis: They are both likely to be wrong!

We have two classes of forecasters: Those who don't know--and those who don't know they don't know!

February is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and October!

A market analyst is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today!

Have a bullish week!

Loma: Keep it coming cheesy grin smiley You are seriously cracking me up. grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by stanchuks(m): 3:47am On Feb 18, 2008
pumping777:

No vex. I no catch your code. He go be this sleep wey dey catch me
i think what "beginner" was talking about was a coded gist which "father of 2" had with you about some CICO insurance stocks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 3:51am On Feb 18, 2008
jandbaby:

Are you winding me up? angry

I was referring to the fact that some people bought Nascon from Dangote's one day sale last year,planning on short-term, but as it nose-dived, they have been forced to become long-term investors!

No-shaking, we dey Nascon together!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by hbrednic: 3:59am On Feb 18, 2008
NASCON na to kuku add some more kg,beta wey pass beta still dey ahead.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by elemu(m): 4:36am On Feb 18, 2008
I beg una, any news on Fidelity allotment?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 7:32am On Feb 18, 2008
@londoncool

u remeber the candlestick we were talking about last week, querying whether it was a marubozu or not?, well i have been doing some studying and actually, its a type of marubozu, called the opening marubozu cuz it doesnt have a candlewick extending above the opening price. in cases where there is a candle wick extending from the opening price end and none from the closing price end, then it would be a closing marubozu. interesting stuff.

i've been looking closely at the patterns on the NSE viz-a-viz candlestick charting and its quite revealing, its like having a code and being able to decode it because u are able to understand the language its written in. I know most fellas on here are skeptical about TA generally and candlestick charting in particular, which is why i decided to "hold my peace". i no want make person come say na "topgun candle" make am lose im life savings, i no wan die young cheesy cheesy.
i will combine it with my weapons though. u never know when it will be needed. I wonder why i tend to think of investing as a sort of war? maybe cuz its me vs the market. So i need all the weapons i can get really.

Happy investing
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 7:47am On Feb 18, 2008
hello,
pls on skye bank offer, for does not infected by d vaccine(aktopgun,etc,) pls what maximum should u advice on to buy can i succesfully bid for 20000units or shld i split 10k and 10k, whats yur calculations, thanks to all, since my days on d beginning of dis thread, i have learnt so much.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:48am On Feb 18, 2008
Napolean:

cadbury did not care so far as it was still a going concern and those that are bidding for UNTL I hope you know why. Worst case scnenario they have warehouses, machinery and other assets that haven't been liquidated[b][/b].

The going concern status of a company is a key issue for investment analysis. For cadbury their going concern status was never in doubt. They still had a great brand name and the  backing of the parent coy. The  only people that lost in that transaction were those that exited immediately. But who knows some of them may have bought the stock very cheaply and may have made a profit. As for UNTL since they are no longer in operation and their market is non existent the only thing that can make the bid for them reasonable is if the market value of those assets are in excess of the market capitalisation of the company. Otherwise some people are going to be left out in the cold.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:06am On Feb 18, 2008
wanaj0:

Frankiriri, if you read Crazy T's post very well, what you stated above was avoided in the case of CHAMS. His broker took the form to the issuing house who rejected the application because they've already reached the limit.

If the PP thing had followed the proper proceedure then his broker would not have even collected money from him in the first instance. They would have confirmed from the issuing house if there were still shares available that they could place with Crazy T. He has unwittingly made them an interest free loan for the period his money was with them.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 8:26am On Feb 18, 2008
@ loma - I don laugh nearly die!!Thank God you kept this jokes for the weekend. Man for they look for another job by now after distrupting office activities with rib cracking laughter grin grin grin Good one jare.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 8:45am On Feb 18, 2008
TeeHay:

My people even for a CICO, ensure the coy has some fundamentals such that even in the case of bad news (over the weekend!!!) u can still sleep till Monday Morning and wait for the next result cycle!!!, do u notice that coy on FO2 list for CICO still has some fundamental backing
Sincerely wish u guys the best presently on Transcorp CICO reverse jet!!!
Very apt advice. Most people dont know FO2 risk profile or even follow his investment strategy properly. If you dont get in at the same price with him then the risk of the stock cant be the same for both of you. Shine ya eyes

TeeHay:

Sincerely wish u guys the best presently on Transcorp CICO reverse jet!!!
I no fit comment on this one oh. Transcorp for me na no go area. Nothing for them at all. I go prefer to Gamle in Gamble out for kalo kalo than to do that one.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 8:49am On Feb 18, 2008
@ Wanaj0,

what's happening to UNIC now?The ship is sailing in turbulent waters,no be to jettison some kg so?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by debenzd(f): 9:11am On Feb 18, 2008
aktopgun:

@londoncool

u remeber the candlestick we were talking about last week, querying whether it was a marubozu or not?, well i have been doing some studying and actually, its a type of marubozu, called the opening marubozu because it doesnt have a candlewick extending above the opening price. in cases where there is a candle wick extending from the opening price end and none from the closing price end, then it would be a closing marubozu. interesting stuff.

i've been looking closely at the patterns on the NSE viz-a-viz candlestick charting and its quite revealing, its like having a code and being able to decode it because u are able to understand the language its written in. I know most fellas on here are skeptical about TA generally and candlestick charting in particular, which is why i decided to "hold my peace". i no want make person come say na "topgun candle" make am lose im life savings, i no wan die young cheesy cheesy.
i will combine it with my weapons though. u never know when it will be needed. I wonder why i tend to think of investing as a sort of war? maybe because its me vs the market. So i need all the weapons i can get really.

Happy investing

@aKTOPGUN, NO HOLD YOUR PEACE O!. I ENJOY YOUR TA. INFACT I DEY USE AN CLOSELY WITH SOME OTHERS. NIGERIAN SECURITIES NA MY PAL. I AM ACTUALLY GETTING TO UNDERSTAND THEM BETTER THANKS TO YOU.

IF YOU NO WAN POST TO THE FORUM, MY EMAIL ADDRESS NA DEBENZD@YAHOO.COM.

I THINK IT IS IMPORTANT TO LOOK AT ALL THINGS FROM DIFFERENT VIEWS. IF IT IS[b] FUNDAMENTALLY RIGHT,[/b] 85% OF THE TIME, ALL VIEWS ARE THE SAME OR CLOSE TO EACH OTHER.

IT IS THE SAME WAY I WILL ENCOURAGE F0F2 TO KEEP SENDING HIS COMMENTS AND SUGGESTIONS BECAUSE A BROKER ONCE TOLD ME NEVER TO DISCOUNT THE HISTORY OF NSE. IT PALYS A HUGE FACTOR IN HOW THE FUTURE WILL BE ESPECIALLY FOR FUNDAMENTAL STOCKS.

SO KEEP IT COMING BRO AND GURUS!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by rasputinn(m): 9:16am On Feb 18, 2008
What's the latest on the purported investigation of the FEBRUARY 6 (i.e AP,BigTrt,Afroil,Capoil,Faluminium &IPWA;the six firms that SEC said were involved in shady deals)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by damoche07(m): 9:38am On Feb 18, 2008
Transcorp! Transcorp! Transcorp!

NAPOLEAAAAAAAAAAN,WanajoWhere are you please. Hope u got something for your people?we expect you to have better insight than us.Kindly give your take before people start selling the hen that will lay the golden egg.

For me,the upsurge in price in the last few weeks is not just ordinary.Most people thot it was just about the bull run(which Loma says make investors look like a financial genius) of two weeks agobut it has defied that. For me i have learnt not to panic in this NSE.Its a crazy place.Who are the people buying the stock for the past few weeks when the reversal of Mtel sale was imminent?Some people knew what we now know? Why the sudden resignations and board wranglings? Everything looks hazy for now but the koko of the matter is that if Transcorp refuses to bleed heavily today and tommorow,i will hold on to the little i have and if possible plunge in the more.Its crazy but my gut feeling is telling me it wont turn out bad.

I hope i wont need aktopgun and Blueband.I wont.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 9:49am On Feb 18, 2008
rasputinn:

@ Wanaj0,

what's happening to UNIC now?The ship is sailing in turbulent waters,no be to jettison some kg so?

My brother, me and UNIC have come a long way so for me no shaking. I mean some years back, I collected bonus 3 for 1 from UNIC so we will ride the turbulence together
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by WASKYWAJA: 10:01am On Feb 18, 2008
Wanajo Good morning how are u today?

what do you think about the stocks below? i intends to enter them.
1. FCMB AT 20.23

2.FIDELITY BANK

3. SCOA N5.55

4. NEIMETH PHAMACEUICAL

5. DIAMOND BANK

6. LINKAGE ASSURE

7. UNION HOMES AT 8.95

8. BANK PHB.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 10:04am On Feb 18, 2008
damoche07:

Transcorp! Transcorp! Transcorp!

NAPOLEAAAAAAAAAAN,WanajoWhere are you please. Hope u got something for your people?we expect you to have better insight than us.Kindly give your take before people start selling the hen that will lay the golden egg.

For me,the upsurge in price in the last few weeks is not just ordinary.Most people thot it was just about the bull run(which Loma says make investors look like a financial genius) of two weeks agobut it has defied that. For me i have learnt not to panic in this NSE.Its a crazy place.Who are the people buying the stock for the past few weeks when the reversal of Mtel sale was imminent?Some people knew what we now know? Why the sudden resignations and board wranglings? Everything looks hazy for now but the koko of the matter is that if Transcorp refuses to bleed heavily today and tommorow,i will hold on to the little i have and if possible plunge in the more.Its crazy but my gut feeling is telling me it wont turn out bad.

I hope i wont need aktopgun and Blueband.I wont.

Don't have any insider information on transcorp. Somethings are however very clear. From the prospectus for the IPO, it was a no no.

The shareholding does not add up. Many people did not pay for the shares. Check out Nicholas Okoye's own

Those that were said to have 100m units did not. Divestment was going on as against the initial agreement. Check out the holdings of Festus and Ndidi. Less than 100m units. What happened?

Again, the IPO was rushed just to edge against the political risk. It was really uncalled for as at that time.

Will advice people to stay away from Transcorp for now. For those who bought @ <3.00, sell and take profit NOW!!!. For others watch developments for another few days. You've experienced worse things!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 10:07am On Feb 18, 2008
WASKY-WAJA:

1. FCMB AT 20.23

2.FIDELITY BANK

3. SCOA N5.55

4. NEIMETH PHAMACEUICAL

5. DIAMOND BANK

6. LINKAGE ASSURE

7. UNION HOMES AT 8.95

8. BANK PHB.

Not sure our investment objectives are the same. On that list, the onely one attractive to me is Diamond and maybe FCMB. SCOA for me is a bit late. Not sure I am impressed with the fundamentals also. Linkage, will avoid insurance stocks. Union Homes, never liked them. Neimeth, will prefer May and Baker (long haul). Fidelity and Bank PHB, the PO's were better.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 10:23am On Feb 18, 2008
Does anyone know the right CSCS telephone contact number?
I have been trying since I woke up.I need to reverse the sale of some of my shares.
I am trying the numbers on their website and they are all ringing out.No one is picking.I sent them emails and they all bounced!
Is there any other way I can contact them?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 10:28am On Feb 18, 2008
@ Oga Napoleon,

I dey try decode you as Fatherof2 don talk am and I think I am getting closer as the days roll on .

Have a lovely week

Hint!

I must apologise for my verbose rants[/color][color=#990000][color=#990000][/color]. Chatting away into my laptop I don't notice the lines flying.

I should not like the sound of my own voice. So shorter more concise contributions are in order.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 10:30am On Feb 18, 2008
WASKY-WAJA:

1. FCMB AT 20.23

2.FIDELITY BANK

3. SCOA N5.55

4. NEIMETH PHAMACEUICAL

5. DIAMOND BANK

6. LINKAGE ASSURE

7. UNION HOMES AT 8.95

8. BANK PHB.

SCOA closed at N7.78 on Friday.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 10:33am On Feb 18, 2008
ololufemi:

@ Oga Napoleon,

I dey try decode you as Fatherof2 don talk am and I think I am getting closer as the days roll on .

Have a lovely week

Hint!

All this one wey una dey talk in parables i no understand o. If there's anything we need to know i beg make una tell us that's what we are all about on this forum!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by upward(m): 10:47am On Feb 18, 2008
@All,

Got this from ZSL. The fear of TS is the beginning of NSE wisdom; well that's not totally true, depends on your investment (or CICO) style.

the Nigerian Stock Exchange has today added 6.25 billion shares to the shares outstanding in favour of IBTC-Chartered Plc following their merger with Stanbic Bank Nigeria Plc.

The Nigerian Stock Exchange has today placed Crusader Insurance Plc. on technical suspension following the receipt of their application for Offer of Subcription, Rights Issue and Debenture Stock.

The share price of Vitafoam Nigeria Plc. has today been adjusted for a dividend payment of N0.25k per share. The ex-div price is N10.05.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by U1(m): 10:53am On Feb 18, 2008
The Simpson's invited their new neighbors the Parkers over to dinner. During dinner Mr Simpson asked Mr Parker what he did for a living.
4 year old Billy Parker jumped in and said

" Daddy is a fisherman!"

To which Mrs Parker replied" Billy why do say that? Your daddy is a stock broker not a fisherman."

"No Mom. Everytime we visit dad at work and he hangs up the phone he laughs, rubs his hands together and says I just caught another fish."

Two women were walking through the woods when a frog called out to them and said: "Help me, ladies! I am a stockbroker who, through an evil witch's curse, has been transformed into a frog. If one of you will kiss me, I'll be returned to my former state!"
One woman took out her purse, grabbed the frog, and stuffed it inside her handbag. The other woman, aghast, screamed, "Didn't you hear him? If you kiss him, he'll turn into a stockbroker!"

The second woman replied, "Sure, but these days a talking frog is worth more than a stockbroker!"

grin grin grin grin cheesy
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by promotion(m): 10:55am On Feb 18, 2008
Crusader on TS for Rights ISSUE
Transcorp on TS for ? (just imagine)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by samstone4(m): 10:55am On Feb 18, 2008
@Nairalanders

Transcorp placed on technical suspension.

What a surprise!

Promotion beat me to it by 32 seconds!!

Samstone4 cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 10:59am On Feb 18, 2008
wow this Transcorp mess, biggest disaster to hit the NSE!! I was appalled at some folks who were using them for CICO, na wa o
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oshkosh(m): 11:00am On Feb 18, 2008
I'm interested in buying Transcorp shares @ N2.00, any takers?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 11:00am On Feb 18, 2008
I said TRANSCORP IS DEAD
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 11:04am On Feb 18, 2008
If Transcorp was not placed on TS it would have reached 20 naira and obviously that would have justified SECs position that dirty deals are going on on the NSE.SEC needs to be on top of their game or else sooner than later we no get any NSE again.Can you imagine Madam Onyuike saying SEC should have contacted them first,re-AFROIL,AP et al.A man goes to steal money and when police catch am,the thief papa dey vex say why police no contact am before going public.
I tire.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 11:08am On Feb 18, 2008
RoughCut:

All this one wey una dey talk in parables i no understand o. If there's anything we need to know i beg make una tell us that's what we are all about on this forum!

Thank you my broda.

Abeg make we talk na. No need to fear anyone for this thread. Talk am yakata.

(1) (2) (3) ... (494) (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.