Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,162,432 members, 7,850,521 topics. Date: Wednesday, 05 June 2024 at 12:14 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (498) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (818524 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 11:11am On Feb 18, 2008
upward:

@All,

Got this from ZSL. The fear of TS is the beginning of NSE wisdom; well that's not totally true, depends on your investment (or CICO) style.

the Nigerian Stock Exchange has today added 6.25 billion shares to the shares outstanding in favour of IBTC-Chartered Plc following their merger with Stanbic Bank Nigeria Plc.

The Nigerian Stock Exchange has today placed Crusader Insurance Plc. on technical suspension following the receipt of their application for Offer of Subcription, Rights Issue and Debenture Stock.

The share price of Vitafoam Nigeria Plc. has today been adjusted for a dividend payment of N0.25k per share. The ex-div price is N10.05.

yodiyokun hit the nail on the head when she said the insurance sector is a mine field right now. This will only put more pressure on a PO-Free insurance stock like Aiico.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 11:12am On Feb 18, 2008
Naijadr:

wow this Transcorp mess, biggest disaster to hit the NSE!! I was appalled at some folks who were using them for CICO, na wa o

The mere fact there has been very heavy trading in this stock in this last couple of weeks would suggest that some peeps still know what was in the offing which obviously is not transparent to the innocent peeps who have been unwittingly caught up in this quagmire.

I think it would take more than a board reorganisation  and going on and coming off TSlost count how many times that has happened now to sort out this monstrous albatross that keeps following the NSE like a bad smell!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oshkosh(m): 11:14am On Feb 18, 2008
If Transcorp was not placed on TS it would have reached 20

I doubt this was the reason for the TS.  More likely to avoid the inevitable run on the stock. The share price would have crashed to < N2 in weeks.

This populist and gallery singing goverment of ours are unlikely to rescind that decision that easily, hence this may drag on for a while. In the mind of most investors, this is a major setback.

I bought Trascorp @ N3 during the PP and pulled out at N3.50 months ago. Not going back (unless I can buy for N2.00!) until there is light at the end of this very dark tunnel.

The mere fact there has been very heavy trading in this stock in this last couple of weeks

I think this had more to do with the imminent announcement by Transcorp of a strategic / technical partner with deep pocket. The goverment pulled the carpet under their feet!

This Umooru goverment sef and their desperate, pupulist agenda !
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 11:16am On Feb 18, 2008
AKT, My man, what is the Candle saying about TRANSCORP??

Bullish, nawoooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooooo. Invited for a FUNERAL. STATE BURIAL, I HEARD??
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by promotion(m): 11:20am On Feb 18, 2008
TS on Transcorp at N4.20 (AIT money show)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by WASKYWAJA: 11:24am On Feb 18, 2008
Wanaj0 thanks you. Don't you feel that Fidelity is good for a long haul at N12.06?

What do you think of first bank at that current price? should i load it? end of FYE is march. you think it will come down?

is Zenith a buy now?

pumping777 thanks for your correction.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cmi(m): 11:34am On Feb 18, 2008
@Mr. Risky, u still dey look candle for Transcorp? Bros na cele candles you go need to take pray make d company no die o.

Na dat one dem dey call - Monkey go dey chop, no matter what - and Baboon go dey look, but d more e look, d more e go think say e dey see!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 11:39am On Feb 18, 2008
cmi:

@Mr. Risky, u still dey look candle for Transcorp? Bros na cele candles you go need to take pray make d company no die o.

Na that one them dey call - Monkey go dey chop, no matter what - and Baboon go dey look, but d more e look, d more e go think say e dey see!
that cele candle na wah o grin grin
my own take is that companies with dodgy corporate governence seem never to be able to come out of it.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by MrRisky: 11:42am On Feb 18, 2008
This is TRANSNATIONAL COUP DE TA!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Placed not on Technical Suspension, but on TECHNOCRAT SUSPENSION. Bullish after TS.

The undertakers, I just heard, are busy now for the FINAL RITES grin grin grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cmi(m): 11:46am On Feb 18, 2008
I'm sure people like Napoleon go don bail out LONG TIME or not even bought into the sham called Transcorp. I wonder how "investors" buy into a company without historical/financial data. Oh well, we have cowboys controlling corporate entities and the sheep following without direction.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 11:46am On Feb 18, 2008
oshkosh:

I doubt this was the reason for the TS.  More likely to avoid the inevitable run on the stock. The share price would have crashed to < N2 in weeks.

This will be plausible in the circumstance.

Assuming there had been a run on the February 6excuse the pun stocks of the companies  accused of share-price manipulation would they have been placed on TS?

I suppose madam Ndidi can place Transcorp on TS at her whims and caprices because she's DG NSE and one of the directors of Transcorp in order to prevent panic-selling of the stock but this fore-sightedness does not extend to other stocks under selling pressure

All is well!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by oshkosh(m): 11:58am On Feb 18, 2008
Has anyone here received their Oceanic Share certs from last PO? Anyone know the tel # for Oceanic Registrars? Make I call them sharp sharp b/4 tory enter.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:01pm On Feb 18, 2008
Has anyone got Diamond Bank GDR credited as ordinary shares?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 12:02pm On Feb 18, 2008
Roughcut,
That is Nigeria for you.
Please can someone help me with CSCS contact details.I have been trying the numbers on their website for the past 2 hours.What is the use of a trade alert if you cannot contact CSCS to halt a sale?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 12:04pm On Feb 18, 2008
Case and While Law & stockbroking firms are handling Diamond Bank GDR on the LSE.
I contacted them and it appears the problem is from Diamond Bank in Nigeria.They don't seem to know what is happening themselves.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 12:05pm On Feb 18, 2008
WASKY-WAJA:

Wanaj0 thanks you. Don't you feel that Fidelity is good for a long haul at N12.06?

What do you think of first bank at that current price? should i load it? end of FYE is march. you think it will come down?

is Zenith a buy now?

pumping777 thanks for your correction.

I will not BUY First Bank at current price. By my reckoning, there are better options.

Fidelity, don't see anything special. Does not fit my consideration for long haul
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 12:06pm On Feb 18, 2008
blueband:

Roughcut,
That is Nigeria for you.
Please can someone help me with CSCS contact details.I have been trying the numbers on their website for the past 2 hours.What is the use of a trade alert if you cannot contact CSCS to halt a sale?

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought you can only halt your trade by giving your brokers the appropriate instructions. CSCS trade  alert is to inform you what transactions have taken place on your stock-brokerage account in real-time.

You need to get in touch with your stock-brokers sharpish!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lawalidowu(m): 12:06pm On Feb 18, 2008
Transcorp TS!!!!!!!!1

No one saw this coming?
@pumping; do know the reason why transcorp is on TS?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Naijadr: 12:07pm On Feb 18, 2008
RoughCut:

The mere fact there has been very heavy trading in this stock in this last couple of weeks would suggest that some peeps still know what was in the offing which obviously is not transparent to the innocent peeps who have been unwittingly caught up in this quagmire.

I think it would take more than a board reorganisation and going on and coming off TSlost count how many times that has happened now to sort out this monstrous albatross that keeps following the NSE like a bad smell!

Shey there are levels and there are levels! The powers that be wanted a few days to sell off, and voila u have it
RIP Transcorp, hope folks no put retirement money there o, get ready for a govt wrestle that could last most of 2008 as things are sorted out, sigh
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:08pm On Feb 18, 2008
RoughCut:

Correct me if i'm wrong but i thought you can only halt your trade by giving your brokers the appropriate instructions. CSCS trade  alert is to inform you what transactions has taken place on your stock-brokerage account in real-time.

You need to get in touch with your stock-brokers sharpish!

There is a free service which is just for information purposes.

There is also the paid service for about N3,600/Year for private investors which allows you to reverse a sale once you get the alert.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:12pm On Feb 18, 2008
lawalidowu:

Transcorp TS!!!!!!!!1

No one saw this coming?
@pumping; do know the reason why transcorp is on TS?

Not sure why Transcorp was placed on TS. I guess it will be connected to the Nitel/Mtel sale.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 12:16pm On Feb 18, 2008
[/quote][quote author=Naijadr link=topic=31554.msg1967747#msg1967747 date=1203332858]
Shey there are levels and there are levels! The powers that be wanted a few days to sell off, and voila u have it
RIP Transcorp, hope folks no put retirement money there o, get ready for a govt wrestle that could last most of 2008 as things are sorted out, sigh

Come to think of it the the WEMA soap-opera is nothing compared with the macabre dance of death we seem to witnessing with Transcorp i still have 25KG of my luggage trapped in WEMA left-luggage
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 12:25pm On Feb 18, 2008
shebi we dey talk am for this thread over this weekend for here say transcorp is a disaster waiting to happen and people begin throw analysis and info based on wishes . the candles down blow out for transcorp o!  cheesy  cheesy

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST.

If u are not a big time player(and by that i mean u if u are not ndidi, obj or other directors) it would be investment suicide to put ur hard earned dosh into a compnay like transcorp. Just my opinion. The biggest boys have it to spare(mostly embezzled of course  wink  wink) and this TS shows they play games to which other investors don't know the rules. wasa reason given for the TS? were the papers filed last week abi when, wey nobody hear? Naija sha! this na executive fiat on NSE's (or should i say ndidi's part)
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by ololufemi: 12:28pm On Feb 18, 2008
@ All,

Just my take but I think I may take some loose cash that wont budge and purchase Springbank. Does anyone know what price it closed last.

@ Fatherof2,

baba, wetin be your advise as per this move.
It is like jumping from the tracks unto a moving train.

@ Wanaj0, Pumping777, Yodiyokun, aktopgun, Easimoni,

Whats your feel on this move.

My belle  dey turn me on that stock and I get one funny dream about am
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumping777(m): 12:31pm On Feb 18, 2008
ololufemi:

@ All,

Just my take but I think I may take some loose cash that wont budge and purchase Springbank. Does anyone know what price it closed last.

@ Fatherof2,

My belle dey turn me on that stock and I get one funny dream about am

Spring Bank closed last at N5.59 but I don't think the stock is being traded. Did you get an offer for it?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by wanaj0: 12:33pm On Feb 18, 2008
aktopgun:

shebi we dey talk am for this thread over this weekend for here say transcorp is a disaster waiting to happen and people begin throw analysis and info based on wishes . the candles down blow out for transcorp o!  cheesy  cheesy

ANOTHER ONE BITES THE DUST.

If u are not a big time player(and by that i mean u if u are not ndidi, obj or other directors) it would be investment suicide to put your hard earned dosh into a compnay like transcorp. Just my opinion. The biggest boys have it to spare(mostly embezzled of course  wink  wink) and this TS shows they play games to which other investors don't know the rules. wasa reason given for the TS? were the papers filed last week abi when, wey nobody hear? Naija sha! this na executive fiat on NSE's (or should i say ndidi's part)

While not holding brief for Ndidi, a stock can be placed on TS for various reasons. NAMPAK and Cadbury are typical examples. When news that is unproven and uncertain is put in the public domain, NSE can place the stock on TS pending when there is more clarification on the info.

Loss of NITEL by Transcorp may be a blessing in disguise if they know what they are doing. Firstly they over paid for Nitel. Secondly how will they get FG to bring their own part of funding for NITEL?

NITEl should collect the money paid back and move to something else. I however expect the issue to end in court
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 12:38pm On Feb 18, 2008
ololufemi:

@ All,

@ Fatherof2,

My belle  dey turn me on that stock and I get one funny dream about am

The stock is on full-suspension and not TS!. So you can't even trade that stock! Or do you know something we don't?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Inglewood: 12:45pm On Feb 18, 2008
Hi Everyone,

I'm new on d block, thanks for the loadz n loadz of tips !!!

Please can someone tell me if there's an online resource where I can access some naija companys financials (5-10 yrs back) like NBC and NBplc ?

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 12:55pm On Feb 18, 2008
wanaj0:

Loss of NITEL by Transcorp may be a blessing in disguise if they know what they are doing. Firstly they over paid for Nitel. Secondly how will they get FG to bring their own part of funding for NITEL?

NITEl should collect the money paid back and move to something else. I however expect the issue to end in court

An expensive and proctracted court case that will no doubt line the pockets of the lawyers!

Even if the money Transcorp paid for 51% of the federal government's holding in NITEL/M-Tel is refunded then what have they got left? Nicon-Noga that is still haemorrhaging like a punctured blood vessel

They will have to service the huge debt they took on to finance the deal so there goes all the money and if i'm right servicing the debts alone is costing Transcorp billions of Naira and i'm not even talking of the principal loan amount.

Well they still have the N20B from the public and not so public offer

This is just a sad sad situation
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by TeeHay(m): 1:03pm On Feb 18, 2008
@ All,
UNTL: Please don't have the impression that UNTL is no longer producing/or in businesss. They only CLOSED the northern factory since cost of production was escalating. They have factories (one in partnership) in 2 towns in W. Africa. My friend is a top management staff in lagos and they are fully operational. They feed the Nigerian market from their other factories in W.Africa.
For me I see closing kaduna factory as reducing overheads, to ensure they concentrate on areas with beta margins, for some that translates to beta cost management and hence maybe better returns, anyway time would tell. Afterall, Michelin did the same and some her directors greatly applauded the bold step!!

TRANSCORPSE: My ppl, every action on this stock shows it's highly manipulated. Imagime, purchase revocation announcement on Saturday and suspension of trade on stock the next working hour!!, Monday. All I can say is Madam NSE and cohorts can do all she wants but recall what happened after the wayo suspension, @ 9.71, when they go tired it didn't stop a freefall to 3.17 (Dec 3rd 07). I still wish my dear friends with kgs of transitional-corpse the hopeful best!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by dollyp1cute(f): 1:08pm On Feb 18, 2008
loma:

Bull Market is a random market movement causing an investor to mistake himself for a financial genius.

Bear Market is a 6 to 18 month period when the kids get no allowance, the wife gets no jewelry and the husband gets no sex.

A long term investment is a short term investment that failed. e.g the Nascon 1-day sale last year

Economics is an extremely useful method of employment for economists.

The market is weird. Every time one guy sells, another one buys, and they both think they're smart.

The best time to buy anything is last year

Technical analysis is the art of drawing a crooked line from an unproved assumption to a foregone conclusion.

A technical analyst is a person who thinks that nine women can produce a child in one month.

Spend at least as much time researching a stock as you would choosing a refrigerator.

Remember the First Law of Technical Analysis: For every analysis, there is an equal and opposite analysis--so for every bullish analysis, there is a bearish one. The Second Law of Technical Analysis: They are both likely to be wrong!

We have two classes of forecasters: Those who don't know--and those who don't know they don't know!

February is one of the peculiarly dangerous months to speculate in stocks. The others are July, January, September, April, November, May, March, June, December, August and October!

A market analyst is an expert who will know tomorrow why the things he predicted yesterday didn't happen today!

Have a bullish week!

grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin grin

THIS IS GUY IS FREAKING HILARIOUS.

PLS DON'T LET THE FOLKS HERE BRAND ME AS KOLO GURL LAUGHING AT HER LAPTOP O

MAY GOD FORGIVE YOU
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 1:09pm On Feb 18, 2008
TeeHay:

@ All,
UNTL:
For me I see closing kaduna factory as reducing overheads, to ensure they concentrate on areas with beta margins, for some that translates to beta cost management and hence maybe better returns, anyway time would tell. Afterall, Michelin did the same and some her directors greatly applauded the bold step!!

TRANSCORPSE: My people, every action on this stock shows it's highly manipulated. Imagime, purchase revocation announcement on Saturday and suspension of trade on stock the next working hour!!, Monday. All I can say is Madam NSE and cohorts can do all she wants but recall what happened after the wayo suspension, @ 9.71, when they go tired it didn't stop a freefall to 3.17 (Dec 3rd 07). I still wish my dear friends with kgs of transitional-corpse the hopeful best!

That would make sense from the cost accountant's point of view but i doubt the thousands who lost their jobs would see it that way!

Did you you actually say Transcorpse or are my eyes deceiving me?

All is well!

(1) (2) (3) ... (495) (496) (497) (498) (499) (500) (501) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 79
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.