Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,297 members, 7,864,446 topics. Date: Tuesday, 18 June 2024 at 06:20 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (59) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820497 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lokia(m): 9:36pm On Aug 12, 2007
hello temmie1 eamoni, mr frank

can you enlighten me on the skyebank shelter fund. i read what is in the previous treads but i am not too clear. i know nothing about shares and stockmarkets o. is the fund like the discovery fund or is a share fund like GTB GDR? pls explain.

thanks in advance
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by drdaniel(m): 11:22pm On Aug 12, 2007
You guys are doing a Good Job here. Hey gurus keep it up.

Learnt that Japaul Oil PO is starting tomorrow.What kind of time did it take for people to get their certificates during their last public offering.How do you compare buying from the PO with buying from the floor considering time lenght that may be involved in the PO.

Also which other stocks especially penny stocks are good at this time.
Some people are saying Livestock,Afprint,Dnmeyer.
What do you guys think.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:58am On Aug 13, 2007
lokia:

hello temmie1 eamoni, mr frank

can you enlighten me on the skyebank shelter fund. i read what is in the previous treads but i am not too clear. i know nothing about shares and stockmarkets o. is the fund like the discovery fund or is a share fund like GTB GDR? please explain.

thanks in advance

It's a fund that invests in real estate and not the stock market. It offers low price growth (25% a yr) but plans to pay a high dividend (prospectus promises N19 dividend on a N100 unit). It's a good idea for beginners and risk-averse investors. Hope this helps.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kingzy(m): 7:50am On Aug 13, 2007
@Temmie 10
Are u saying that dangote flour is not a wonderful buy?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 8:57am On Aug 13, 2007
kingzy:

@Temmie 10
Are u saying that dangote flour is not a wonderful buy?

No i am not saying its not a good buy.
i am saying "all that glitters is not gold".
Lets wait for the prospectus to make an unbiased judgement
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by slaykay07: 9:49am On Aug 13, 2007
Has anyone seen japaul oil prospectus please provide link
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by KnowAll(m): 10:25am On Aug 13, 2007
goldenson:

please can u send me the spreed-sheet so i can better monitor my stocks performance. thanks

there is no forwarding e-mail address on your profile, send me your e-mail address.

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by KnowAll(m): 10:32am On Aug 13, 2007
Dangote sugar was my 1st nija stock, i was testing the market, i only bought 1500 shares worth about N27000.00. It trebled within the 1st 4 weeks of trading, that is N57.00, it has since dropped to double price of N37.00. I am begininng to wonder if its better to buy in the secondary market and resell when the price its at
is highest.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 12:42pm On Aug 13, 2007
KnowAll:

Dangote sugar was my 1st nija stock, i was testing the market, i only bought 1500 shares worth about N27000.00. It trebled within the 1st 4 weeks of trading, that is N57.00, it has since dropped to double price of N37.00. I am begininng to wonder if its better to buy in the secondary market and resell when the price its at
is highest.

From the look of things, secondary market is better if you want to trade. The public offers are managed by these companies such that the certificates are issued in trickles and even verification is released in trickles to manage the price of the stock effectively.
I for one am going straight into secondary market now.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by lokia(m): 1:10pm On Aug 13, 2007

It's a fund that invests in real estate and not the stock market. It offers low price growth (25% a yr) but plans to pay a high dividend (prospectus promises N19 dividend on a N100 unit). It's a good idea for beginners and risk-averse investors. Hope this helps.
@easimoni

thanks for the explanation. what is ur take on it ? do you think they would be able to pay the 19naira dividend? is the offer price of 100naira not too expensive?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by KnowAll(m): 1:14pm On Aug 13, 2007
Yodiyokun :

from the look of things, secondary market is better if you want to trade. The public offers are managed by these companies such that the certificates are issued in trickles and even verification is released in trickles to manage the price of the stock effectively.
I for one am going straight into secondary market now.

Secondary Market is good if u are on the ground in nigeria, or if u have a reliable stock broker, otherwise ipo is good on the long run. Secondary Market is for people with big money, if my total investment gets to say 10 million naira, then I will sell everything in my portfolio, and start buying in the secondary market, thats the big secret of the nigeria stock market. There are people waiting to put N50 million on Access bank the day its IPO Closes, this is a public forum, I am sure a lot of big people out their would not like me revealing the secret behind nija stocks, i noticed with 4 stocks, Oceanic Bank from N20.00 to N31 within 5 days of trading, First Bank from N40.40 to N58.90 within 5 days of trading, UBA from N35 to N58.20 within the 1st 5 days of trading. Somebody is making a killing somewhere.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 3:33pm On Aug 13, 2007
@ KnowAll

You are quite right,  a lot of people are making a kiling on post-po trades and this occurs for very many reasons. here are 2

1. Most public offers are successful, in fact many are oversubscribed. This reflects good sentiment about a company. Hence, one can say that the laws of demand and supply then take full course

2.Many companies tailor their good news around public offers. Access has not paid a dividend for years, suddenly they pay a 40k dividend few weeks before their offer. First bank releases a mouth watering result just days after technical suspension is released.

So there are opportunities which even u can and should take advantage of, However you must realise that not all pos are successful esp in the non-banking sector, this can make the price go lower than po price.
2nd nothing lasts forever, this trend will weaken with time,

@ ALL
I am still trying to get my hands on Japaul Oil prospectus, thats why i havent made any comment about their public offer which commenced today, The news i am getting however suggests that i will really like this po. The company has won a couple of nail-biting contracts from major oil companies.
So anyone who's seen the po, pls make it available

cheers, to making mo money
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 3:50pm On Aug 13, 2007
Anyone know about Mutual Alliance Investment and securities ltd, I have had one good review about them. Anyone has experience with them to share?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 4:01pm On Aug 13, 2007
yodiyokun:

Anyone know about Mutual Alliance Investment and securities ltd, I have had one good review about them. Anyone has experience with them to share?

I've been hoping someone will come up requesting this sort of info. . .  I have very recently had a very fierce battle with their Abuja branch. The Branch manager there was my good friend when i was in Nigeria and he was my broker, i never had reason to worry until very recently when i started requesting my statements, i realised alot of funny shit happening and he thought because i'm in london he can mess around with me.

I had to involve my lawyers immediately, i was shocked when their CEO called me from the head office in Lagos to find out how he can help sort the problem out. He now manages my account directly and he's refunded all that my broker took from me.

It was not easy oh! If you're abroad, i suggest u get your stuff done through your lawyer or something because you don't want to go through what i experienced.

It is good to invest, but some brokers are good and many are bad. If you're refering to another of their branches, it is well, but if you were gonna invest through the abuja branch - have your lawyer there.
I will be happy to give you my current broker's details so you speak to him directly, its the same company, only difference is he has a better communication manner, he replies emails in good time, he places you first and only advises when he feels necessary. He has a nice customer service approach to tensed and emotional situations. I hate to sing him any praise but he is everything my previous broker wasnt - and i aint surprised at why he's the CEO.

I
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 5:23pm On Aug 13, 2007
whitelexi:

I've been hoping someone will come up requesting this sort of info. . . I have very recently had a very fierce battle with their Abuja branch. The Branch manager there was my good friend when i was in Nigeria and he was my broker, i never had reason to worry until very recently when i started requesting my statements, i realised alot of funny shit happening and he thought because i'm in london he can mess around with me.

I had to involve my lawyers immediately, i was shocked when their CEO called me from the head office in Lagos to find out how he can help sort the problem out. He now manages my account directly and he's refunded all that my broker took from me.

It was not easy oh! If you're abroad, i suggest u get your stuff done through your lawyer or something because you don't want to go through what i experienced.

It is good to invest, but some brokers are good and many are bad. If you're refering to another of their branches, it is well, but if you were going to invest through the abuja branch - have your lawyer there.
I will be happy to give you my current broker's details so you speak to him directly, its the same company, only difference is he has a better communication manner, he replies emails in good time, he places you first and only advises when he feels necessary. He has a nice customer service approach to tensed and emotional situations. I hate to sing him any praise but he is everything my previous broker wasnt - and i aint surprised at why he's the CEO.

I

Hmm , this is a serious issue ooo - hen hen so stock brokers can be choping your money? I will probably be dealing with the lagos branch. So you are satisfied with the current service you receive; thats good so its not the comapny that is bad just some of the staff.

If their CEO is ok then he will probably have a tough rein on the lagos branch since its their head office (hopefully)

My brother introduced me to his own account officer - a lady with their lagos branch.

Do you use their online facility to check your portfolio with them? and how fast are they with buy/sell orders?

Thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 7:22pm On Aug 13, 2007
hey guys, i thought japauls po wasnt starting till mid-september according to mr.jegede himself. what happened
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by whitelexi(m): 8:05pm On Aug 13, 2007
yodiyokun:

Hmm , this is a serious issue ooo - hen hen so stock brokers can be choping your money? I will probably be dealing with the lagos branch. So you are satisfied with the current service you receive; thats good so its not the comapny that is bad just some of the staff.

If their CEO is ok then he will probably have a tough rein on the lagos branch since its their head office (hopefully)

My brother introduced me to his own account officer - a lady with their lagos branch.

Do you use their online facility to check your portfolio with them? and how fast are they with buy/sell orders?

Thanks

Sorry about the delay in replying u, i got really busy with work. Their CEO has taken over my account and has been running it for about 2weeks now and his first few actions have impressed me. My previous broker would take between 2 weeks - 6 weeks to reply an email and i'm not exaggerating oh! I discovered that 90% of all shares i'd paid for were purchased up to 6months after i paid for them. . . and all the while i was under the impression that i had shares oh.
I also discovered that the customer service was very bad, especially when i spent my own money to call and ask what was happening with my own money oh. I got answers like. . . "Why are u behaving like this? Do u think this is london? Things take time here" but i'm glad i got behind all that now.

I can tell u that the first assignment the CEO actioned was to make sure my shares were replaced, 24008 units returned immediately and a statement was immediately generated to that effect. I only gave him my 2nd instructions by email last friday and he acknowledged on sunday saying things will be executed from today and proof will be sent to my email. So, on that side i'll wait to see how long it takes for him to carry it out.

About the online facility, i'd been asking for it for ages and he kept resisting, but when he finally agreed and registered me, i then saw my online statement, that was how i got hint of the fact that things were not going too well with my account. I've complained that the site was last updated on the 30th of may this yr grin
I can go on and on, but the online thing doesnt give u any detailed info, you're better off using spreadsheets like that one on www.investordelight.com

I really wish u good luck, i just know that many brokers are corrupt, i was lucky, my elder sister is my next of kin. . . and she is also my lawyer grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by KnowAll(m): 8:10pm On Aug 13, 2007
2nd nothing lasts forever, this trend will weaken with time,

Nija bank stocks are still very cheap relatively, i see Zenith, First Bank, Oceanic, Union Bank, UBA, and some other top banks getting to N200.00 per share (Still less than £1.00, and a about $1.80 ). The most expensive Bank stock is Zenith and that is worth 0.25p or 0.50c, damn cheap when compared to other emerging economies. I dont think it will slow down for now, the economy is growing, so will the stock exchange, and all the shares.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Iman3(m): 8:19pm On Aug 13, 2007
KnowAll:

Nigeria bank stocks are still very cheap relatively, i see Zenith, First Bank, Oceanic, Union Bank, UBA, and some other top banks getting to N200.00 per share (Still less than £1.00, and a about $1.80 ). The most expensive Bank stock is Zenith and that is worth 0.25p or 0.50c, damn cheap when compared to other emerging economies. I don't think it will slow down for now, the economy is growing, so will the stock exchange, and all the shares.

No be how to evaluate stocks o!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by KnowAll(m): 8:36pm On Aug 13, 2007
in a growing economy, things grow, i am not saying the top bank stocks will be N200.00 in a year's time , it might take time, but its bound to grow with the stock exchange. With our president saying he wants Nigeria to be among the big 20 economies of the world, the only way for the stocks is to go up, it might take time between 5 - 8 years for this kind of growth, but is bound to happen. Trust me when it comes to blue chips there is only one way and thats up.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by honeric01(m): 8:41pm On Aug 13, 2007
uhm nice
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 8:47pm On Aug 13, 2007
KnowAll:

Nigeria bank stocks are still very cheap relatively, i see Zenith, First Bank, Oceanic, Union Bank, UBA, and some other top banks getting to N200.00 per share (Still less than £1.00, and a about $1.80 ). The most expensive Bank stock is Zenith and that is worth 0.25p or 0.50c, damn cheap when compared to other emerging economies. I don't think it will slow down for now, the economy is growing, so will the stock exchange, and all the shares.

My guy, the price of a stock has very little to do with how cheap or expensive it is. There are N80 stocks that are cheap (Oando) and N4 stocks that are quite expensive (e.g Crusader Ins). Theprice of 1 share must be compared to the eearnings dividends of that share to make a judgement Go to iinvestopedia.com and read up on PE, EPS, DPS and look for the stock market tutorial. Good luck.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Pelican(m): 9:15pm On Aug 13, 2007
easimoni, if you had N2 million today and you were to invest it in stocks for a 3 months investment, what will you go for. Please this will help my decisiion presently. Thanks broda!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by KnowAll(m): 9:16pm On Aug 13, 2007
[quote:easimoni]My guy, the price of a stock has very little to do with how cheap or expensive it is. There are N80 stocks that are cheap (Oando) and N4 stocks that are quite expensive (e.g Crusader Ins). Theprice of 1 share must be compared to the eearnings dividends of that share to make a judgement Go to iinvestopedia.com and read up on PE, EPS, DPS and look for the stock market tutorial. Good luck.[quote][/quote]

the bottom line is, the blue chip stocks will grow, and nothing is goning to stop them from growing as the economy expands. Do you think blue chip stocks like Zenith  will ever be £11.00,  i wait for that day.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by KnowAll(m): 9:19pm On Aug 13, 2007
[quote: KnowAll -Zenith  will ever be £11.00][quote][/quote]

point of correction N11.00
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:41pm On Aug 13, 2007
Pelican:

easimoni, if you had N2 million today and you were to invest it in stocks for a 3 months investment, what will you go for. Please this will help my decisiion presently. Thanks brother!

Never invest for 3 months. In spite of the get-rich-quick stories you hear, that's not what a stock market is meant for. Personally, I'm up 1% on the stocks I've bought in the last 3 months. That's probably a reasonable expectation.

But sinnce you asked, I like Oando, C&I leasing and Julius Berger in that order.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by BIGBOYLARY(m): 9:41pm On Aug 13, 2007
@ ALL,

What an interesting and explosive discussions ummh! the much awaited and rebirth of                                      
JAPAUL OIL AND MARITIME SERVICES. CLOSE ALL YOUR EYES AND PUT I MILLION ON IT ITS A SURE BET, cool cool
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by DisGuy: 9:45pm On Aug 13, 2007
have you seen the prospectus? come tell us where exactly did you get this your crystal ball? the boot sale? grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by honeric01(m): 9:50pm On Aug 13, 2007
great schooling
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by KnowAll(m): 9:55pm On Aug 13, 2007
what is the gist behind japaul, never really consider buying it, if you know something that we dont know, come on spill the beans brother.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by crazyT(m): 11:59pm On Aug 13, 2007
Hey guys, at last the IPO of Japaul is out , though the released date on the form is Monday 18th of August, but I heard it has been prosponed till September.

Here is the link to the IPO

http://www.japaulplc.com/japaul_application.pdf

or 
http://www.japaulplc.com
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 12:02am On Aug 14, 2007
KnowAll:

the bottom line is, the blue chip stocks will grow, and nothing is goning to stop them from growing as the economy expands. Do you think blue chip stocks like Zenith  will ever be £11.00,  i wait for that day.

WHile u have a point about inherent growth in good companies, you have to be very careful. FBN and Zenith and most of the Nigerian Stock exchange is growing many times faster than the economy and are not in any way growing at par with the economy.

That itself should send you warning signs. On FBN and Zenith reaching 200, it will NEVER happen!!!, at least not in the next forseeable future,
WHY?
Because Naija companies are fond of bonuses, public offers, stock splits and all practices that dilute and prevent share prices from hitting the ceiling, the reasoning is that the prices will remain attractive especialy to people who only consider the share price just like the case you have given in your examples (Hence even when FBN reached 77, it was split into 32 on a bonus of 1 for 1)

For example do you know that in theory, First Bank's Share price as of today is easily more 200 naira if there had not been huge stock splits and bonuses over the past 5 years?

Easimoni has given you a very good short answer. Anybody who is knowledgable about stocks will tell you that the share price is of very little use as an indicator to whether a company is cheap or not. Think about fundamentals, potential for growth, eps, pe,

If not, keep waiting for 200 o, Jesus will probably come earlier

(1) (2) (3) ... (56) (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.