Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,166,378 members, 7,864,718 topics. Date: Wednesday, 19 June 2024 at 04:01 AM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (60) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (820579 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Robroy: 4:42am On Aug 14, 2007
Japaul no release prospectus o! How do we know anything else about their offer. Miission statement is "we aim to be the best", is this enough info. to sink ur money into their stock? I heard they got some "nail-biting" contracts but that can easily be rescinded, plus how do we know there is more in the pipeline. Can anyone shed some light on the company?
I like rule no. 9 on the application form , Sounds so harsh, grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 7:03am On Aug 14, 2007
Hello people , I need to be cleared about something here , it could be either i am wrong or my broker is wrong (playing me ?) cry i have bought some Firstbank stocks on the floor in the month of February 2007 .
Now i have read somewhere on the news (www.proshareng.com) that first bank have credited the bonus shares they declared this year to the investors cscs account, i had been thinking that this means i am supposed to be among those those that would receive this bonus, but i called my broker last night and she was telling me that i am not supposed to get the bonus , saying its for those that bought last year , she was also saying something like they will credit the bonus shares to investors cscs account only after their year end , could someone please tell me if i am the one thats wrong here or if its my broker .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bilkisandu: 7:06am On Aug 14, 2007
All Da gurus in the house,

What do you think will be the impact of Naira Re-denomination - on investments??

Especially if you have a margin facility running?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by RoughCut(m): 8:31am On Aug 14, 2007
crazyT:

Hey guys, at last the IPO of Japaul is out , though the released date on the form is Monday 18th of August, but I heard it has been prosponed till September.

Here is the link to the IPO

http://www.japaulplc.com/japaul_application.pdf

or
http://www.japaulplc.com

Yeah you are right the PO is out sometime in September even though the app form is posted on their website-----japualplc.com. I sent out an e-mail and this is exactly the reply i got and i quote We are just waiting to perfect some Statutory regulatory requirements, the offer will open within the month of September
Unquote i must add this is the fastest i got a response from any e-mail i have sent to any organisation in nigeria as i only sent the e-mail just this morning
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 10:55am On Aug 14, 2007
egoldman:

Hello people , I need to be cleared about something here , it could be either i am wrong or my broker is wrong (playing me ?) cry i have bought some Firstbank stocks on the floor in the month of February 2007 .
Now i have read somewhere on the news (www.proshareng.com) that first bank have credited the bonus shares they declared this year to the investors cscs account, i had been thinking that this means i am supposed to be among those those that would receive this bonus, but i called my broker last night and she was telling me that i am not supposed to get the bonus , saying its for those that bought last year , she was also saying something like they will credit the bonus shares to investors cscs account only after their year end , could someone please tell me if i am the one thats wrong here or if its my broker .

@ egoldman, i think your broker is quite right on this one.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by egoldman(m): 11:19am On Aug 14, 2007
Temmie10:

i see , thats why i no halla foram untill i make sure say i know how the damn bonus thing work , thanks a lot .
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by psalm23(m): 11:50am On Aug 14, 2007
can anyone tell me what iz goin on wit afribank, iz it worth investin in2?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by binyelum(f): 12:25pm On Aug 14, 2007
seun, can you tell me more about stock market? i feel i don't have enough money now to invest in it. i really want to trade, pls advice.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:18pm On Aug 14, 2007
@ easimnoi, temmie 10, how una dey, long time grin grin(4 days).
its the first time ive noticed any1 say anything bout c&i leasing like easimoni did. their half year result was very good with a high growth rate and even interim dividend although i was unable to get their current eps as at half year. i think its quite undervalued and should hit 10 bucks by year end.
pls i need to know whats up with this japaul po, in the vanguard, mr.jegede said mid september,why the sudden rush. pls holla.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 1:27pm On Aug 14, 2007
@ easimoni, could u pls provide me with latest eps on c&i. is it up to 0.2
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by flakom(f): 1:51pm On Aug 14, 2007
To all the gurus in the house

What do you guys think about Eco bank, Wema, Fidelity, Fcmb for short term trading.
I have 500k.
Please, i need analysis of each stock
Thanx.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 1:51pm On Aug 14, 2007
@ Shigidi

I am a bit lazy now, not in the mood for any calculation lol grin
So i have chosen the easy way out.
I am uploading 2 reports on ci leasing.
They are from zenith securities, one is a technical analysis, the other is a fundamental analysis
they were done in late may but u will find data for your analysis.

I will go thru again later today and see what i can come up with.
It seems Japaul will only be out in september, the fuss appears tio have been
caused by the applicatn form on their websie

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 2:02pm On Aug 14, 2007
temmie10, thanks for that. do u subscribe to zsl to get these monthly reports?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 2:06pm On Aug 14, 2007
@ shigidi

On second thot, i have looked at it again.
If the company can sustain their results, this will make for a good buy.
Eps is edging towards the forecasted 46k.

no i dun subscribe to zenith monthly reports but i have access to a number of their reports
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 2:33pm On Aug 14, 2007
i know their first quarter eps was 10kobo so it should hit that mark. plus the growth is about 100%, which gives it a very healthy PEG ratio, personally, i thought the report was a bit cautious cos csl stockbrokers had earler valued it abou 9 naira with three months time frame.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:32pm On Aug 14, 2007
@ Temmie10,
I'm currently kicking myself for missing the 3 months results of C&I. If I had seen it, would have bought a ridiculous number of shares. Now, with the 6 mos, the cat is out of the bag and the price is heading to the skies. angryYou need to help a brother out by publishing more of that suff. Please!

Shigidi,
the full year result projects to an EPS of 66k. This is easily a 10-12 stock within the next 6 months. Good to see you using the lingo. Thumbs up!
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 4:40pm On Aug 14, 2007
Anyone see this article in Business Day?

The value of publicly quoted Nigerian banks is insignificant when compared with their peer from other African countries, a study by African Investor (Ai) has shown.
GODFREY OBIOMA
In the study involving 40 companies from the continent, the UK–based magazine used price, price earning ratio, market capitalisation , daily traded volume and shares in issue to assess the companies. Among the banks, Standard Bank of South Africa was the most capitalised at $18.52billion (N2.352trillion) with a price of $13.80 (N1,752.6) per share . Attijariwafa Bank of Morocco has market capitalisation of $7.30 billion (N927.1billion), trading at $364.36 (N46,273.72) per share . Banque Marocaine du Commerce also of Morocco is market capitalised at $5.43billion (689.61billion) with closing price of $342.53 (N43,501.31) per share while Egyptian Financial Group has market capitalisation of $3.05 billion (N381billion) at the price of $7.88 (N1000.76) per share.

Six major Nigerian banks, on the other hand failed to measure up to the banks from South Africa, Egypt and Morocco in terms of share valuation and market capitalisation. For example, Zenith Bank which is the highest priced bank stock at $0.52 (N66) per share, according to African Investor, has market capitalisation of $3.13 billion (N397.51). First Bank, trading at $0.45 (N57.15) per share is capitalized at $4.66 billion (N591.82), UBA is valued at $0.44 (N55.88) per share with market capitalisation of $3.1billion (N396billion). With market capitalisation of $2.13billion (N270.51billion) GT Bank is worth $0.27 (N34.29) per share as Intercontinental Bank has market capitalisation of $2.15 billion (N273.05billion) with price of $0.20 (N25.4) per share. Oceanic Bank, another Nigerian Bank studied by Ai, is valued at $0.21 (N25) per share with market capitalisation of $1.98 billion (N251. 46 billion).

However, some of these Nigerian banks performed better in terms of price earning ratio, which measures the period of time during which an investor recovers his initial investment outlay. Whereas it would take an investor about 26 years to recoup his investment in Attijariwafa Bank, and 53 years in BanqueMarocaine, it would take the same investor about 17 years to recover his initial investment in Oceanic Bank and Intercontinental Bank. It would take an investor about 30 years to recover his investment from Standard Bank, 34 years in Zenith Bank and 32 years in First Bank.

The Ai report did not however cover returns on investment where Nigerian banks have done so well. A report by Capital Assets, a Nigerian stock broking firm in 2006, using capital gain, dividend payment and bonus issues show that First Bank returned 153 percent to investors in 2006; GT Bank 106 percent; Intercontinental Bank 80 percent; UBA 68 percent while Zenith Bank returned 53 percent.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/?c=45&a=15437

It shows that while our banks are comparable in terms of market cap and favourable in terms of returns, we've done so many stock splits (bonuses) that the share prices make them penny stocks in U$D. There's a bank alsmost the same size as FBN (maybe smaller following FBN's offer) with a share price of N43K! Enough of the stock splits, let the price speak for itself.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shigidi(m): 5:06pm On Aug 14, 2007
easimoni, whats really annoying now is the stock is now scarce, and has made full 5% for the past 2 days, hope i can still get in below 6naira. will just hope sad
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 6:31pm On Aug 14, 2007
Temmie10:

Sorry. But Egoldman is right. The bonus was declared for the year ended Mar 2007 and he bought before the year end So I dont see how he would be counted out. I dont know the date that the books were closed but it can not be before year end now. The broker is definitely mistaken.
Egoldman expect your bonus bo
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Normal(m): 6:51pm On Aug 14, 2007
Have you ever wondered where banks and finance houses get the money to build those massive edifices of theirs, buy exotic "tear rubber" cars, pay their staff heavy salaries, and still declare billions of Naira as profit at the end of the year?

Have you wondered why they insist on your having a minimum balance in your account?

Why are several banks struggling to outdo one another in running several promos, giving away gifts, etc, and why is opening an account (instead of buying raffle tickets) the fundamental requirement to participate in these promos?

Men I advise you to know more about this stock stuffs.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by frankiriri(m): 7:18pm On Aug 14, 2007
I cant wait to get the full gist on the proposed currency redenomination.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Allcorrect(m): 7:42pm On Aug 14, 2007
@shigidi
The eps for c&i leasing Q2 is 29k. U cant beat that. Even the thing gor max 5% today. What aches me most is that i bought onli 50,000 units at N1.15 last year p.o. I wish i had really put more into it. My broker tells me the thing now is so scarce. I am holding onto the thing real tite.

@egoldman

Dont let anibodi rip you off. If you bought the stock on the floor, U are veri much entitled to the 1 for 6 bonus and N1 div. The cut off date for the 2007 result is 20th of August. So as long as u bought the stock before the cut off date, u are veri much entitled. If u bought the public offer then U are not. But if its for the last year 1 for 1, Soori O. Nothing for U

U can check it out. All these brokers them wan use u hammer. because its taken to the cscs account, they will sell it behind U. JUst check and knbow what u are expecting
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by afroil: 7:44pm On Aug 14, 2007
@ frankiriri,

i wonder o wen easimoni said d guy's broker was right.under normal circumstances,as egoldman bought d FBN share on feb.2007,the FBN Year end was march 2007,i see no reason why he should nt b qualify for Bonus and even d N1 div dclared dis year.

Even,frankiriri,if it is just dclared FBN 1:6 bonus & N1 div  we are about talkin about,the Register of shareholders is yet to b closed,to b precised it wil close on Mon 20/08/2007(next week Monday).

Egoldman u are more than 100% qualify for d Bonus&Div,stil expect them.If eventually ur cscs a/c is nt credited 4 d bonus,just "iron" it out wit ur Broker.

Cheers
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by afroil: 8:15pm On Aug 14, 2007
@easimoni,
pls and pls pardon me o,i beg,i was refering to Temmie10 and nt u o pls.

@ frankiriri

i wonder o when Temmie10 (and not easimoni as typed in my 1st thread above) said d guy's broker was right.under normal circumstances,as egoldman bought d FBN share on feb.2007,the FBN Year end was march 2007,i see no reason why he should nt b qualify for Bonus and even d N1 div dclared this year.

Even,frankiriri,if it is just dclared FBN 1:6 bonus & N1 div we are about talkin about,the Register of shareholders is yet to b closed,to b precised it wil close on Mon 20/08/2007(next week Monday).

Egoldman u are more than 100% qualify for d Bonus&Div,stil expect them.If eventually your cscs a/c is nt credited 4 d bonus,just "iron" it out wit your Broker.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Dumsky(m): 8:25pm On Aug 14, 2007
I think you're all getting the question wrong. The article that raised the question was a pull out from the proshare website and the bonus was refering to the past bonus and not this recent one. We all know there's no way on earth that bonuses will be credited into accounts before the registrar's book closure date. I appreciate the spirit of helping a brother though.

Good one guys, a very good one indeed.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by AtamMan(m): 8:53pm On Aug 14, 2007
@Frankiriri
I am rather worried about the re-denomination of the Naira. What does it spell for us? Is it going to be good for the general populace or is it another gimmick to help those in who have cornered the Nation's wealth?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:14pm On Aug 14, 2007
afroil:

@easimoni,
please and please pardon me o,i beg,i was refering to Temmie10 and nt u o please.

I was about to "unleash"! grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kingzy(m): 9:16pm On Aug 14, 2007
this should be a new topic
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 9:21pm On Aug 14, 2007
Atam-Man:

@Frankiriri
I am rather worried about the re-denomination of the Naira. What does it spell for us? Is it going to be good for the general populace or is it another gimmick to help those in who have cornered the Nation's wealth?

The article in question can be located here.

http://www.businessdayonline.com/?c=45&a=15436

I'm not qualified to comment! Oya, over to you bankers, economists and CFAs.

And maybe it should be a new topic.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by Temmie10(m): 10:39pm On Aug 14, 2007
@ egoldman

Before you go and fight with your broker. Let me jus try to put things as straight as possible. The bonus shares for the year ended 2007 has not yet been credited o. It will be credited to all those still holding the shares of FBN as at 20/8/2007.

What you read on proshare was the bonus issue for the year ended 2006, i read the report too. you are not entitled to that one and that is why your broker is correct.
If anybody has recieved bonus for FBN 2007, let them speak up,

@ easimoni
i will try to post some more analysis.
How many shares does Oando have in issue? i read that it is 572 million. Can you pls doublecheck that for me.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by shreks(m): 10:55pm On Aug 14, 2007
Hello, i will like to know the lowest amount that brokers accept. Is it possible to get a broker who will accept like #1000 to buy shares for me. I don't have a broker yet. Am not working yet and thats what i can get in two months. Thanks.

(1) (2) (3) ... (57) (58) (59) (60) (61) (62) (63) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 65
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.