Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,991 members, 7,821,456 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 01:13 PM

Stock Market Tips For Nigerians - Investment (701) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Investment / Stock Market Tips For Nigerians (814753 Views)

Nigeria: Stock Market Rides On Elections Success, Gains N178 Billion / Stock Market: Questions And Answers / Nigerian Banks, Stockbrokers, And Services For Nigerians Abroad (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) ... (793) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 1:44pm On Mar 21, 2008
aktopgun:

interesting. but u see, its not always a good idea to draw trendlines that touch the price when they(the prices that touch the trendline) are too close together.

u be winch sha because i was doing the same thing on the NEM last night but had to draw 3 trendlines to get acceptable touches on the line. that resistance is a worry in this season but short term CICO (ie ultra-short CICO)may have to be the adopted strategy.

if u draw a trendline from a more recent price bottom then the convergence becomes more obvious

i concur to that as well. Pumice, when i saw your line, that was my first disagreement, if we are using trend, then NEM don go into sell zone.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 1:47pm On Mar 21, 2008
aktopgun:

omo savvy, u too much.

nice pictorial as well. where did u get this picture abeg, make i check it out. the trendline bounce is yet another confirmation. thanks

This one na Aptistock o, i told you b4, i get more control when i dey use am pass Nigerian Securities, so i only use Nigsec for quick checks,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 1:50pm On Mar 21, 2008
wanaj0:

@Savvy, you still dey regret selling your UBN? Why now?

I just wan take style collect school fees from you grin grin grin
However, i still dey offload - na gradual offload i wan do, no rushing, I don start with 40%, next na 30%, 20% then 10%, at the right windows.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kayodus(m): 1:51pm On Mar 21, 2008
@scofield

it pays if u read previous pages u know (it's difficult i know).but then u get to understand more if u do so that u can make decisions on your own.
as for your insurance stocks if u're not in a rush, i advise u hold until they pick up.
(some) Insurance stocks r undergoing a recession right now!@?#*
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by FatherOF2: 1:53pm On Mar 21, 2008
aktopgun:

@fof2

good morning sir, happy easter, i hope u have seen my campaign to have u back here full time, is this to say u are back with us fully? please say yes!  

Goodmorning sir, Happy Easter to you too.

Reading is sweeter.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by mecatchcha: 1:53pm On Mar 21, 2008
aktopgun:

@mecatcha

dunlop. As u know caveats apply  grin grin

Oga Ak,

Thanks so much for the light, God bless. I hope make the green light show on Tuesday. I use to love public holidays until I started buying stocks on NSE.  sad Just see as public holiday go keep my stocks stagnant untill Tuesday.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by VIPICO(m): 1:57pm On Mar 21, 2008
Dry bones, sorry MBenefit, will surely rise again sooner than we think. As for Lasaco am not even budging. Topgun abi I lie?
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by sscofield: 1:59pm On Mar 21, 2008
Kayodus -
Thanks for the advice. Really appreciated.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 1:59pm On Mar 21, 2008
FatherOF2:

Goodmorning sir, Happy Easter to you too.

Reading is sweeter.

Fof2&Moi i no gree that one at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all, at all o,

Make you come back o,

Scofield - prison break  grin (Wey risky, i no tell you say i fit do jail break yesterday with those condemned criminal  grin grin)

Scofield - i dey come, make i help you with my own small knowledge, But, i beg go back a bit maybe from Pg50 to read o,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by kayodus(m): 2:03pm On Mar 21, 2008
anytime scofield!

how's Lincoln grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by SavvyLanre: 2:25pm On Mar 21, 2008
@Scofield

Na true, abeg hail Lincoln for me o,

Ok, rule numero uno, do not do any panic sale!!!
Numero 2 - In a bear run, do not panic sale either - except you want to move cover to fundal stocks

And, my comments here - are with caveat emptor. (my 2 cents advice)

The following is my rating on the stocks you hold, without looking at the price you bought any of them,  because i might be biased,  so just looking from a technofundalist point of view on Short (1-3mths); midterm (6-12mths); Long term (1yr and above)

Ratings on a scale of 1-5 (1 - very poor and 5 - very good)

Stock                      Short Term          Mid Term      Long Term
Equity Assurance        1                          3                5
Lasaco                        2                          3                5
Eternaoil                     2                          3                4                   (No Fundals for this rating, based on speculation in sector and technicals)
UnivIns                       1                          2                3                   (No correct fundals for this one either, but Wanaj0 don warn us tire)
Abctrans                     2                          3                5
Transcorp                   3                          3                4                  (This is purely based on Technicals, but i no get liver to touch that stock)

Disclosure - i hold Lasaco and Eternaoil.

The decision is left to you,  and if anyone else wan add their own caveat emptorssssssss,
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by bibiking1(m): 2:28pm On Mar 21, 2008
can any one refer me to a good stockbroker in Warri?
I have not been able to get myself active all these while, but i hope to resume in the coming week

my email address is sylvester.awenlimobor at ebuynigeria dot com

thanks

I have noticed that the some of you are waiting for the bulls! from my little overall market analysis, i think the market will remain bearish up till the middle of the yearat the least.
The market currently sits in an insanely overbought region and the drop is expected to continue for a while
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumice(m): 2:39pm On Mar 21, 2008
eniyanman:

absolutely! one indicator alone doesn't tell the full story. recall, i mentioned the chaikin money flow (CMF) gradient some time ago.When I refer to Chaikin, I mean CMF and its gradient. I use gradient to confirm the CMF.

Uh oh. Now I have to go and read up CMF. Does learning ever stop? smiley
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by carlitos: 2:42pm On Mar 21, 2008
bibiking1:

I have not been able to get myself active all these while, but i hope to resume in the coming week

thanks

I have noticed that the some of you are waiting for the bulls! from my little overall market analysis, i think the market will remain bearish up till the middle of the yearat the least.
The market currently sits in an insanely overbought region and the drop is expected to continue for a while

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by easimoni(m): 3:14pm On Mar 21, 2008
bibiking1:

thanks

Dem never teach me that one yet O! tongue No be say I no believe you but who is predicting the drop to continue and why? Will it affect the entire market and will the drop be attenuated by the upcoming earnings reporting season?

Anyway, I don talk my own; a bounce back by Thursday at the latest and sustained bullish run in April if earnings are above expectation
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by aktopgun(m): 4:00pm On Mar 21, 2008
eniyanman:

absolutely! one indicator alone doesn't tell the full story. recall, i mentioned the chaikin money flow (CMF) gradient some time ago.When I refer to Chaikin, I mean CMF and its gradient. I use gradient to confirm the CMF.

On the surface macd and rsi don't appear to look at the money flow. But implicitly they do. You would agree that when money flows into a stock, it price rises and vice-versa. RSI and MACD focus on the price rises/falls and thus follow the money.

The other problem with MACD and RSI vis-a-viz NSE is the +/-5% daly cap. It distorts the over-all picture. This introduces non-linearity. In other economies where this cap doesn't exist, the MACD and RSI can be used as a pair in helping to decide market entry/exit.

E be like say I don talk too much  wink
Happy investing

TALK TOO MUCH KE! I DEY GBADUN U GAAN cheesy cheesy.

i like the fact that no be only me don think about the effect of that 5% NSE cap but it has a good use as well in that it gives investors time to get out of a particular stock that may have reported bad results or one that is headed south quickly cuz of bad news around it. i have thought about it in the case of the candles as well but because it is inter-day differences that the cap is about it doesnt affect intra-day levels of prices, hence the reason for net bid and net offer positions on a daily basis and therefore doesnt affect the candles much. in english, grin, what i mean is say a stock closed at N20 and there's someone willing to buy it at N100 then it will rise to N21 the next day and be a green marubozu but there will be unfilled bids which in the following days will cause the price to rise

also, case in point, if it were in a market where there were no caps then the stock price of companies like afroil and capoil would have crashed megally on the back of that news from SEC. but cuz of the cap they can only go south by 5% in any one day. hence net offer positions and 4 price doji or red marubozu forming

will like to gist more about the effect of the cap on rsi and macd later with u if u dont mind. gotta run now

thanks
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gonyix: 4:05pm On Mar 21, 2008
@scofield
to concur with what the other peeps have told you, i think u should go back and read as many pages as possible, I know it seems tedious but it will benefit you in the long run. If  i were in your shoes i would not sale anything in ths porfolio in a hurry at this time. but if it isa must that you sale, i will pair down the ins. now and look for some sectors with stocks that have strong fundamentals(fbn uba ) for this bear period at least that way if you don't make alot of money, u will be consoled by the fact that u had capital preservation.
Cavaet emptor.
by the way i own fbn, uba and erterna oil.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by gonyix: 4:11pm On Mar 21, 2008
kayodus:

NSE denies knowledge of Afroil, Capital Oil suspension
By Obinna Chima
Published: Friday, 21 Mar 2008

The Nigerian Stock Exchange has said it is not aware of the indefinite suspension placed on trading in the shares of Afroil Plc and Capital Oil Plc by the Securities and Exchange Commission.

The Principal Manager, Corporate Affairs, NSE, Mr. Shola Oni, said on Thursday that the NSE was yet to receive any information from SEC on the suspension of the shares of the two oil companies.

Oni said, “We read the story on the pages of the newspapers just like every other person and I think that will not be the best for the system. The relationship between the stock exchange and SEC has always been cordial, but there should always be due process.”

SEC had, on Wednesday, announced an indefinite suspension of trading in the shares of Afroil and Capital Oil on the NSE. The commission said the decision was a fallout of an investigation into the activities of six companies, announced on February 15, 2008.

According to the commission, the two companies were involved in insider dealings.

The commission had declared that the basis for the continued trading and rise in the prices of the shares on the exchange, no longer existed, adding that the decision was to protect stock market investors.

Prior to the commencement of the investigation, the Director-General, NSE, Prof. Ndi Okereke-Onyiuke, had flayed SEC for not informing the Exchange about the activity.

Our correspondent gathered that, despite the suspension, there was still trading in the shares of the companies.

Some stock brokers said that the shares of the companies were, largely, in offer on Thursday as investors were apprehensive over the announcement.

The stock brokers, who spoke on the condition of anonymity, berated SEC for not informing the NSE before carrying out any activity on the Exchange.

According to them, the perceived unhealthy relationship between both organisations can create tension in the capital market.

“We all agree that SEC is the regulator of the capital market, but there should be due process in everything. The commission has to understand that the NSE, to an extent, is also a regulatory body.

Without the stock exchange, I don’t think there will be anything for SEC to regulate,” a stockbroker said.

At the end of trading on Thursday, Afroil, which sold at N24.13, traded 4,424,117million shares, valued at N106.754m in 342 deals.

For capital oil, 3.414 million shares worth N55.006m were traded in 144 transactions. It sold at N16.11

Is it just me or are the peeps at NSE and those at SEC on a power tussle
I guess this na naija
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cj2008: 4:19pm On Mar 21, 2008
4RM MY OBSERVATION,GREED TEND 2 BE D GREATEST UNDOING KILLIN INVESTORS.
LAST COUPLE OF WEEKS HV INDEED KILLED A WHOLE LOT OF PEOPLE.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by cj2008: 4:24pm On Mar 21, 2008
LESSON NUMBER 1
WHEN UR STOCK IS GATHERING GAINS EVRYDAY.JST KNW DAT IS WILL STOP SOMEDAY.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 4:39pm On Mar 21, 2008
gonyix:

Is it just me or are the peeps at NSE and those at SEC on a power tussle
I guess this na naija

Like I said earlier on,a policeman does not need to inform a suspected thief's father that he is investigating him.In this situation,NSE should have at least suspended the shares of the affected companies and then clarify issues with SEC.We are seeing a trend where SEC raises issues against a company and the company shares start losing value,yet the NSE pretends SEC does not exist.I guess if this was Transcorp their shares would have been placed on TS.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by pumice(m): 5:24pm On Mar 21, 2008
eniyanman:

@pumice,
you, topgun and roughcut are doing a great job with your chart analysis. i do learn a lot from you guys.
learning, for me, is a life-long process.

Amen to that.

Cheers mate.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by poke(m): 5:28pm On Mar 21, 2008
Father of 2

Happy easter
you are welcome
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by yodiyokun(f): 6:25pm On Mar 21, 2008
@All,

I beg you - please stop flaunting your portfolios and its value on here - Dont you guys know the meaning of a public forum - Haba!!!!.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by blueband(m): 6:35pm On Mar 21, 2008
How many times have we seen people point at mansions and say they own them.Anybody can say whatever he wants to say his portofilio is.`And the end of the day na for him pocket.
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 6:48pm On Mar 21, 2008
On Portfolios

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 6:49pm On Mar 21, 2008
no mind dem ,dey wan make we shiver,  grin,
well it wont work, like a fellow on dis thread has said, afroil still is my number one friend, from last year march to dis year febuary, go figure grin grin grin

AFROIL I HAIL U, though u r facing turbulent times cry,

pls help odas grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 6:51pm On Mar 21, 2008
@loma

nice one for a good friday, make i check my BP oh, abegi
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 6:52pm On Mar 21, 2008
And this

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by loma(m): 7:00pm On Mar 21, 2008
And more

Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by faketan(m): 7:09pm On Mar 21, 2008
Please guys this my portfolio

Firstbank 1000000 units
Zenith 2000000 units
GTB 10, 000000 units
Oando 1 000 000
Chevron 1 000 000
ABC 20 000 000
Japaul 500 000
Transcorpse 50, 000 000
Afro oil 5 000 000
Wema 5 000 000

Wetin una wan make I do. Abeg Yodi and blueband make una help me manage am grin grin grin
Re: Stock Market Tips For Nigerians by nkc(m): 7:14pm On Mar 21, 2008
@faketan

lol, nice one grin

(1) (2) (3) ... (698) (699) (700) (701) (702) (703) (704) ... (793) (Reply)

Mutual Funds / MBA Investors Forum / Crypto Currency Investors Thread

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 52
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.