Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,044 members, 7,814,569 topics. Date: Wednesday, 01 May 2024 at 03:16 PM

I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice - Travel (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice (30389 Views)

Relocating To Ghana: Kumasi Or Accra Please Advice / Skills To Acquire Before Relocating To The US. / 7 Attitudes You Should Have On Lagos Roads If You Are Relocating To Lagos. (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by ATERI(m): 1:47pm On Jun 10, 2016
No information on the age-range of your children, no information on what your wife thinks about this idea and no information on whether you and your family have dual nationality. In the absence of these, I will advise you to take what the lady that asked you whether you or your wife is going to stay with them in Nigeria seriously. Youngest85 has given you the practical problems that can happen when husband and wife live apart.

I must say it`s no more fashionable to be talking of going back home until you have become well-established in a developed country. Start to see both Continents as homes for different reasons. Now, the children are the issue and Nigeria is the best place to bring them up- you and I agree on that
Llet your wife be the one to decide who goes back with the children and who stays back in Europe. Please be aware that your wife is not a wood so you will need to be going to her regularly after that relocation. It means you would need to do away with the big cars and other luxury for the sake of your family.

You don`t need my tutorial on why you need to bring up your children in Nigeria, you know the facts; just go ahead with your plans. Once your children have to look for an interpreter before they can understand your native language, or before your own mum can understand what language they are speaking, it means you have failed those children. The light that goes off when they are about to start their revision/home-work, the car they couldn`t use due to lack of fuel, the erratic water supply that force them to walk 1km to collect drinkable water, the neighbours that are constantly telling them that the only relationship that is valid is the one between man and woman or that in Nigeria the final say belongs to those that are older than you, means you have fulfilled an important parental role, something they would thank you for, if they have to come back to Europe as adults. Disregard my advice if you and your family have no dual nationality. Good luck

1 Like

Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Caleycash(m): 1:48pm On Jun 10, 2016
drnairalov:
I am reading this and i am really scared to come back and settle in nigeria...it wasnt this bad...or are you guys exagerrating? Help
Give it a try if you hate ur life with passion... mtcheeww
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Adminisher: 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2016
Vickyydera:
Please keep them there. Nigeria is not getting any better. Most of us here are planning on how to leave this country for good and you are there planning on how to come home.

This is a VERY STUPID reply. Obviously you have not travelled before, worked extensively or understand anything at all.
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by boyesola: 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2016
Due to moral reason, bring down your children and put them in a religious boarding school, while you stay over there to continue running for their upkeep. sincerely, i wish to come to where you are now but whenever i think about western moral, i choose Nigeria.

2 Likes

Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Sleekdude4u(m): 1:55pm On Jun 10, 2016
aloziedaya:
Yes I know how difficult things are in Nigeria right now. Everyday I read and hear from the media news and articles about Nigeria that trouble the heart.
Life in Europe is better in terms of basic needs as humans, but socially it has decayed beyond imagination. The future of our children is at stake here socially and morally. The western culture is eating deep in our children.
So I'm considering bringing my family down to Nigeria to train them in our own culture.
Do you think I'm making a mistake?
Please your candid advice.
No u are not ma brada, u are heartly welcom, our culture is far beta dan d Europians, so u are welcom bak home, in little or no time Nigerai will becom d great Nigeria. Buhari is working Nigerians wil b happy
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Amajerry83(m): 1:56pm On Jun 10, 2016
Most people commenting here have never been out of Nigeria before. I have lived 8 years outside Nigeria before coming back with my family finally. It all depends on what you want to be doing here. The area you want to live matters a lot too. Just go for the best in whatever you are dojo g here and I bet you will live to enjoy Nigeria even under the present economy instability.
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Amajerry83(m): 1:58pm On Jun 10, 2016
Most people commenting here have never been out of Nigeria before. I have lived 8 years outside Nigeria before coming back with my family finally. It all depends on what you want to be doing here. The area you want to live matters a lot too. Just go for the best in whatever you are doing here and I bet you will live to enjoy Nigeria even under the present economy instability.

1 Like

Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by youngest85(m): 1:59pm On Jun 10, 2016
ATERI:

No information on the age-range of your children, no information on what your wife thinks about this idea and no information on whether you and your family have dual nationality. In the absence of these, I will advise you to take what the lady that asked you whether you or your wife is going to stay with them in Nigeria seriously. Youngest85 has given you the practical problems that can happen when husband and wife live apart.

I must say it`s no more fashionable to be talking of going back home until you have become well-established in a developed country. Start to see both Continents as homes for different reasons. Now, the children are the issue and Nigeria is the best place to bring them up- you and I agree on that
Llet your wife be the one to decide who goes back with the children and who stays back in Europe. Please be aware that your wife is not a wood so you will need to be going to her regularly after that relocation. It means you would need to do away with the big cars and other luxury for the sake of your family.

You don`t need my tutorial on why you need to bring up your children in Nigeria, you know the facts; just go ahead with your plans. Once your children have to look for an interpreter before they can understand your native language, or before your own mum can understand what language they are speaking, it means you have failed those children. The light that goes off when they are about to start their revision/home-work, the car they couldn`t use due to lack of fuel, the erratic water supply that force them to walk 1km to collect drinkable water, the neighbours that are constantly telling them that the only relationship that is valid is the one between man and woman or that in Nigeria the final say belongs to those that are older than you, means you have fulfilled an important parental role, something they would thank you for, if they have to come back to Europe as adults. Disregard my advice if you and your family have no dual nationality. Good luck
mr article.....kudos
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Nobody: 2:00pm On Jun 10, 2016
Dear Alozie, I am not going to tell you what to do because you are the one that knows where it hurts most. The one thing I will advise is you have to be financially prepared before taking this leap. It is not something you wake up one day and decide to implement right away. It takes great planning, because Nigeria is very unpredictable.

I have taken the leap for about one year now, but I tell you, I am not regretting it one bit, even though I left my job in California that pays extremely well. My kids are happier, because my wife and I do a lot more things with them during their holidays, like play tennis, go swimming, etc. My wife and I have never been happier, as we spend more time together. It could be because I have learnt that chasing and having money doesn't actually result in healthy quality of life.

Yes it has not been all roses, especially from the business perspective. This is why you have to be financially prepared. If you are relocating the whole family (which I advocate), you have to assume no income for the next two years.

If you are the kind that think 10 to 15 years in advance, you will appreciate that this sacrifice you might be making now is a great investment for your kids' future. You will hear a lot noise from people trying to dissuade you. You should listen to your spouse (if there is one, as you must act as one on this issue.) and your inner voice. Good luck.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Nobody: 2:02pm On Jun 10, 2016
Guy I understand your situation. I remember going to the store with my little cousin, he saw two guys passionately kissing and romancing on the street, I noticed how his eyes was fixated on them, I asked him to turn away, instead he said, " but mum said men don't kiss men" I had to lunch into all kinds of preaching known to man, in fact I ended by telling him that those guy are simply sick, they should be in the hospital soon, that he seem to understand a little.

A lot of people won't understand what you mean, but I heard a naija boy born abroad telling his parents "I will take you to the nursing home when you are old " I was depressed to hear that.

But that don't mean you should just pack your things and return to Nigeria like that, if I can advice you, I will say go home first, get yourself established then run back and bring your family. Moving to Nigeria after staying abroad is more difficult than moving abroad for the first time.

I moved since 2012 am just now beginning to recover both financially and otherwise, it was difficult even though am a single young man let alone a married guy with kids.

3 Likes

Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Caleycash(m): 2:08pm On Jun 10, 2016
EgunMogaji:

Im sending my child down there to start primary school. She can go back to the us for her higher education if she wishes at any time.
You don't see any rich folk leaving Nigeria, but u er in d US...una dey make me vex die, hypocrites!!!, if u like make u ma start primary school afresh with ur pikin 4 naija na una sabi... RUBBISH!!!

1 Like

Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Caleycash(m): 2:11pm On Jun 10, 2016
Vickyydera:
Rich folks are even the ones with dual citizenship let me tell you.
Don't mind the bonafide hypocrite...na there way, enemies of progress

1 Like

Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Ugosample(m): 2:12pm On Jun 10, 2016
qleap2all:

You are no where near Europe
What makes you think so? Just curious
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by AuroraB(f): 2:16pm On Jun 10, 2016
kenkenny55:
My dear its never a mistake. Rather its good to train ur children on ur own culture my dear.its a good option. Its rare to hear that people wants to bring their familes home from another mans land knowing how difficult the economy is now. Its a very wise decision
No make me vex angry lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by ochobaba(m): 2:21pm On Jun 10, 2016
aloziedaya:
Yes I know how difficult things are in Nigeria right now. Everyday I read and hear from the media news and articles about Nigeria that trouble the heart.
Life in Europe is better in terms of basic needs as humans, but socially it has decayed beyond imagination. The future of our children is at stake here socially and morally. The western culture is eating deep in our children.
So I'm considering bringing my family down to Nigeria to train them in our own culture.
morally u can bring them home but economically no just reason am
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by babajeje123(m): 2:54pm On Jun 10, 2016
I know of a parent with a similar issue. What he did was to bring the only child he had to a boarding school in Nigeria. In fact, I was the boy's hostel Master. During hols, the boy goes to stay with relatives. So, I will suggest you bring the kids only to Nigeria and put them in a godly school where they will be morally rehabilitated

1 Like

Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by viktor556(m): 2:59pm On Jun 10, 2016
Only thing I'll tell you is.........

No tomatoes here.
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Euckybaby(f): 3:00pm On Jun 10, 2016
People like me are planning to leave Nigeria to the UK and you are planning to bring your family back.. please think well
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by mjoje: 3:05pm On Jun 10, 2016
I absolutely understands your situation because I live in California with my family, the best solution would be spending couple of years in Nigeria and relocating back to Europe after two to three years. I salute your courage.
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by quickly: 3:18pm On Jun 10, 2016
Where do footballers live after playing in europe? Most of them come back to naija why because a foreigner will always be a foreigner
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by tuna4servi(m): 3:27pm On Jun 10, 2016
OYO , on your own
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Nobody: 3:29pm On Jun 10, 2016
Caleycash:
You don't see any rich folk leaving Nigeria, but u er in d US...una dey make me vex die, hypocrites!!!, if u like make u ma start primary school afresh with ur pikin 4 naija na una sabi... RUBBISH!!!

I stand by my comment and which you haven't been able to dispute.

Like OP I'm moving my family back to Nigeria in the short term. I won't be asking a group of disgruntled kindergarteners for their opinion on my serious family decision. So you don't get to have a say on that.

You can call me a hypocrite but I hope you don't mind if I call you a discombobulated schpinter orifice.
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by fayidomicheal(m): 3:43pm On Jun 10, 2016
[quote author=aloziedaya post=46438400]Yes I know how difficult things are in Nigeria right now. Everyday I read and hear from the media news and articles about Nigeria that trouble the heart.
Please your candid advice. [/quote
You are doing the right thing in asmuch they have papers to go back later when they of full age .
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by bezimo(m): 3:44pm On Jun 10, 2016
If its not God directing you to relocate, then the timing of coming back might be wrong, which means NOT Now.
If you want your children to develop morals send them to school in Nigeria especially those christian schools that instills discipline.
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by bayulll011(m): 3:55pm On Jun 10, 2016
aloziedaya:

laudable dispositions so funny when many are trying to remove their children from this accursed land,but i will advice you,you dont need to bring them here before they know our way,i will advise you make sure you always send them home for holly-days,nigerian kids has their own shortcoming when we talk ABOUT whats going on in the nigeria systems now.all you need to do send them home regularly,let them know how to fech water,sleep in darkness and let few mosquitoes bites them,with this they will understand the moral value of life,but relocating them to nigeria that is inhuman
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Sirmuel1(m): 4:19pm On Jun 10, 2016
EgunMogaji:

He went for medical checkup and relaxation.
He didn't migrate to London.
Dangote, Dantata, Otedola, are they not in Nigeria?

They have houses abroad also.
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by Inova(m): 4:48pm On Jun 10, 2016
I wonder why you hv come here to seek the opinions of kids that hv access to internet.
Nairaland has been invaded by toddlers that do not hv any interest in constructive discussion.
As for my opinion, Nigeria is a great place to be. Its just undergoing some restructuring which naturally causes few harsh conditions. This will fade away soon though.
You can come home to spend some time bonding with family.
Career oportunities are also great here especially for those with experience both in and out of the country like you I presume.
There are good schools where yiur kids can go to like Atlantic Hall, Chrisland etc. If your kids need to be in a tetiary institute, I will also advise you send them to a private instituion like Covenant univ, Babcok Univ etc
Though power is still epileptic thanks to our brother in SS bombinng the gas facilities and thus poluting thir environs, you can still get youself an aparrment in an estate that will be responsible for provision of power like Osborne forshore estate in Ikoyi.
This is not exhaustive but I believe it can help you in making an informed decision.
I wish you well

Inova
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by koolaid87: 5:09pm On Jun 10, 2016
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by ttmacoy: 5:30pm On Jun 10, 2016
I appreciate toe balanced view but disagree that bringing up kids in Nigeria means you will have more time for them.

Depends on what you do in Nigeria. I know many people who due to traffic will leave home 6am and not return till 9pm. How will they have more time for the kids. Many kids brought ok in Nigeria soend more time with househelps than parents.

Pedagogue:
NL is very diverse. There are many school drop outs and foreign countries- hunters on NL.Also, there are people that politicise or economise every thread! So, sieve all comments very well.

Below is my advice:

1.Nothing compares to the future of your children.
2.It is now extremely difficult to bring up children in many western countries where gangsterism, gays, n different forms of sexual perversion pervades.
3.Living in societies where cases of children beating their parents is no longer news can affect the psyche of the best trained children.
4. According to researchers, the environment a child grows in has the biggest influence on a child.

That said, Op must consider that Bringing up a child in Nig has many downsides too. There's a v high level of immorality, cultism and Many other things you can think of!

So you see, it's neither here nor there. However, the advantages of living in Nigeria are:1.You will have more time to train your children.It's diff for Nigerians living abroad to have time for their kids, as they spend more time away from home. The husband and wife, that is! 2. Your children will be more exposed to your religion!

Therefore, pls consider the pros and cons. It's a difficult decision. If you decide to return, ensure u are financially buoyant. It's easier to bring up your children when they school and live in lekki...than say for instance, Ajegunle!
Re: I'm Relocating My Family From Europe To Nigeria, Please Advice by nellyelitz(m): 5:41pm On Jun 10, 2016
Where ur brain dey

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

Fire At Utako Motor Park In Abuja; Passengers, Drivers Scamper For Safety / Sosoliso Plane Crash 15 Years After: Woman Pays Touching Tribute To Her Sister / Photos: Car Accident In Wuse II, Abuja.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 75
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.