Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,502 members, 7,819,823 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 01:18 AM

Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? - Romance - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Romance / Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? (4514 Views)

My Libido Is Too High. Help!! / Lady Narrates Her Horrible First-date Experience With A Stingy Guy / She's Stingy, Should I Dump Her? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (Reply) (Go Down)

Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by OnaRegina: 3:42pm On Jun 15, 2016
When my boyfriend and I go out, I make sure to sometimes pay and don't leave him to pay all the time. I think I pay a lot of the time actually. He earns more than me. However, recently, we went out with some friends and when he tried to pay with his card, there was an issue with the POS machine so I had to pay for him and myself. He mentioned that he would give me the cash later for both of us. When we drove to the ATM later, he took out the complete amount (covering both our bills that I had paid). I noticed that he initially counted out the full amount but later only gave me the money he owed for just his own bill. He had told me in front of our friends that he would repay me the amount for both our bills and besides when he attempted to pay using POS at the restaurant, it was for both our bills. So I dont know why he did that.

Also, in the 9 months we've been together, he has never bought me a gift (not even on my birthday or valentines) and at Christmas, he gave me a book he'd just finished reading as my present. To be fair, I didnt give him anything for christmas but I did give him something for his birthday.

When I travelled, I asked him what he wanted and he said nothing as he didnt want to feel obliged to return the kindness. I found that odd. I wasnt trying to buy him something so he could return the favour. Nevertheless, I bought him a small gift anyway.

I spoke to him about it and told him that while I'm not expecting expensive gifts, giving in a relationship is nice. I suggested chocolates or flowers and he said he didnt know etc.

Are my expectations high (based on the brief background I've just given) or is this sounding like a stingy guy to you? I feel a bit resentful but want to be reasonable about the whole thing.

Thanks for your sensible comments/advice.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by DLondonboiy: 3:47pm On Jun 15, 2016
nwanne, your boifriend is taking stinginess to a whole new level...

7 Likes

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by cruzita(f): 3:48pm On Jun 15, 2016
I don't think your expectations are High

I just hope you have a clear picture of your relationship.And I hope he isn't wasting your time

2 Likes

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Nobody: 3:52pm On Jun 15, 2016
°Yer man is stingy.

MrbrownJ what do you have ta say? grin
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by ErnieSmallzz(f): 3:55pm On Jun 15, 2016
wow shocked i always thought i was very stingy but immediately i read this ur post, i found out i am still a learner beside ur boyfriend lipsrsealed

1 Like

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Nobody: 4:08pm On Jun 15, 2016
shockedshocked

1 Like

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Nobody: 4:24pm On Jun 15, 2016
A man that truly loves you will do anything to please you, he will even spend a fortune on you.
I will advise you to stop spending on him, stop showing him you have money or pay his bills cos if you do he will be reluctant to buy you gifts and take care of your financial needs.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Nobody: 4:36pm On Jun 15, 2016
is he from Mbaise?
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by daddyrich: 4:44pm On Jun 15, 2016
Vickyydera:
A man that truly loves you will do anything to please you, he will even spend a fortune on you.
I will advise you to stop spending on him, stop showing him you have money or pay his bills cos if you do he will be reluctant to buy you gifts and take care of your financial needs.

I disagree with you completely. she needs a genuine advise not this...

buying gifts and meeting a woman's financial needs in a relationship is not all there is to prove true. love itself is priceless. though her boyfriend behavior is somehow worrisome but you need to find out why.

I have witnessed a practical case where a guy was showering the girlfriend with gifts and fancy outings in fancy places but he stopped immediately after wedding.

Next... are you sure this guy truly loves you or he's just tolerating you. if yes is answer, then I suggest you give him sometimes. he might be struggling with a past experiences which might have forced him to become too careful.

Besides buying you gifts how can you evaluate his love for you?

1 Like

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Nobody: 4:50pm On Jun 15, 2016
daddyrich:

buying gifts and meeting a woman's financial needs in a relationship is not all there is to prove true. love itself is priceless. though her boyfriend behavior is somehow worrisome but you need to find out why.

I have witnessed a practical case where a guy was showering the girlfriend with gifts and fancy outings in fancy places but he stopped immediately after wedding.

Next... are you sure this guy truly loves you or he's just tolerating you. if yes is answer, then I suggest you give him sometimes. he might be struggling with a past experiences which might have forced him to become too careful.

From the writeup, I denoted that the supposed boyfriend doesn't love her the way she loves him. Love is meant to be reciprocated in a relationship.
He might be spending his dough on another woman.

1 Like

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Nobody: 4:59pm On Jun 15, 2016
this one don pass stingy.. this one na wickedness... ur b.f dey carry akpo 4 u
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by pbs4real(m): 5:15pm On Jun 15, 2016
I dnt tphnk he's stingy, maybe ur bf is saving for u guys wedding. . . Lol
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jun 15, 2016
ErnieSmallzz:
wow shocked i always thought i was very stingy but immediately i read this ur post, i found out i am still a learner beside ur boyfriend lipsrsealed
grin
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by MRBrownJ: 5:27pm On Jun 15, 2016
OnaRegina:
When my boyfriend and I go out, I make sure to sometimes pay and don't leave him to pay all the time. I think I pay a lot of the time actually. He earns more than me. However, recently, we went out with some friends and when he tried to pay with his card, there was an issue with the POS machine so I had to pay for him and myself. He mentioned that he would give me the cash later for both of us. When we drove to the ATM later, he took out the complete amount (covering both our bills that I had paid). I noticed that he initially counted out the full amount but later only gave me the money he owed for just his own bill. He had told me in front of our friends that he would repay me the amount for both our bills and besides when he attempted to pay using POS at the restaurant, it was for both our bills. So I dont know why he did that.

your BF was wrong there and you should have pointed that out then.

Also, in the 9 months we've been together, he has never bought me a gift (not even on my birthday or valentines) and at Christmas, he gave me a book he'd just finished reading as my present. To be fair, I didnt give him anything for christmas but I did give him something for his birthday.

i guess you guys aint that different.... giving isnt an obligation

When I travelled, I asked him what he wanted and he said nothing as he didnt want to feel obliged to return the kindness. I found that odd. I wasnt trying to buy him something so he could return the favour. Nevertheless, I bought him a small gift anyway.

the man was honest enough to say he doesnt like being obligated to hand gifts, but instead you want him to act in ways that he isnt down with

I spoke to him about it and told him that while I'm not expecting expensive gifts, giving in a relationship is nice. I suggested chocolates or flowers and he said he didnt know etc.

giving for no reason whatsoever, or against ones will/wishes is wrong... if you wanna give gifts then by all means do so, and dont expect anything in return

Are my expectations high (based on the brief background I've just given) or is this sounding like a stingy guy to you? I feel a bit resentful but want to be reasonable about the whole thing.

there is nothing like expecting a man to do what YOU desire... let him be himself, and either take it or leave it

1 Like

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Nobody: 5:29pm On Jun 15, 2016
dat nigga cnt mqrry u...cus no love. for him to giv u only d moni for his stf, I jst knew his wasting ur time
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by ErnieSmallzz(f): 5:39pm On Jun 15, 2016
KingCheezyPuff:
grin
grin I am serious cheezy. Do you watch Spongebob? U know the crab in that cartoon? The Op's boyfriend is more stingy than him lipsrsealed
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Nobody: 5:51pm On Jun 15, 2016
ErnieSmallzz:
grin I am serious cheezy. Do you watch Spongebob? U know the crab in that cartoon? The Op's boyfriend is more stingy than him lipsrsealed
.. grin I was actually laughing at you an yer stinginess. Not op's bf.
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by daddyrich: 5:54pm On Jun 15, 2016
Vickyydera:
From the writeup, I denoted that the supposed boyfriend doesn't love her the way she loves him. Love is meant to be reciprocated in a relationship.
He might be spending his dough on another woman.

Exactly my thinking too. I suspect the guy doesn't love this girl. hope she's not trying to force herself on him.... no offense intended please.

their relationship is obviously stiff and dry
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Taiofil(m): 6:08pm On Jun 15, 2016
Like som1 who commented said earlier that he must have had issues in the past to behave/act in that manner. You see relationships is way more than giving and receiving...obviously there are some area you appreciate about him and enjoy than he's not buying gift. Most importantly just discuss the matter with him and listen to his response mostly its not always what you think. The only area that got me was when he withdraw and gave you back is own share. That was quite STINGY!
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by faith551(m): 7:06pm On Jun 15, 2016
Well it's a nice thing you've contributed financially in the relationship,at this point i can easily tell your guy is stingy,but a conversation on the subject matter won't hurt
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by sunnyt1(m): 7:07pm On Jun 15, 2016
I wont say much about the 1st case you narated, its completely illogical and i want to think he had something up his sleeves. Its totally impossible

Im quite bothered about the idea we have about love, reading thru comments here and what iv learnt from people overtime, is giving the only fruit of love? That seem to be the picture. Someone even said a guy who loves u will spend a fortune on u, thats absolutely worrisome. Nah, a guy who wants to use and dump u or who wants to cajole u will do everytin to impress u. Isnt this the reason behind gold-digging and manipulations in relationships lately?

Peoples' past experienece has a lot to do with how they spend in their subsequent relationships.

We need to know what love and stinginess really mean

1 Like

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Qualer: 7:12pm On Jun 15, 2016

Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by UyiIredia(m): 7:34pm On Jun 15, 2016
The way I dey look am e be like say this ya man dey stingy with money o. Pay him back in his own coin and watch how he reacts.
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by funsho75(m): 7:34pm On Jun 15, 2016
I will try to be practical here.. given doesn't mean he love you or not...
most of us don't really understand the word Love, we tend to narrow love to bf and gf.
do you no you love your sister more than your bf, but wen was the last time you got something for your sister or you younger brother or you very close friend that you cant do without.
that your illustrations happen mostly in a no sex relationship.
and why this stuff happen is that most guys in this type if relationship believe investing time and a lot of money in a relationship that might end without out them gaining anything.
so my sister him not given you gift might not mean he does not love you it might just be that you are more that just a girlfriend to him that he need to use gift to make u stay.
he might see u as a mother, as a best friend, as a sister. us can't tell
and it can be the other way round.
my advice is talk with him and don't be selfish in your demands (most girls are)
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by OnaRegina: 3:13pm On Jun 16, 2016
MRBrownJ:

Thanks for your response. I realise that giving isn't an olbigation. However, giving can show thoughtfulness or kindness towards the person you are giving to. Generousity is a positive trait. I am not forcing or expecting him to do anything against his will.

your BF was wrong there and you should have pointed that out then.

i guess you guys aint that different.... giving isnt an obligation

We aren't that different? It's me that was always offering and when I saw that he wasnt about that life, I chilled on it. Am I Jesus?[/b]

the man was honest enough to say he doesnt like being obligated to hand gifts, but instead you want him to act in ways that he isnt down with

[b]Nobody is obligating him. To say that i shouldnt buy you something because you dont want to have to do likewise is just funny. It shows a particular state of mind in my own opinion. Especially as i wasnt giving just so i could receive in return.
[/i]
giving for no reason whatsoever, or against ones will/wishes is wrong... if you wanna give gifts then by all means do so, and dont expect anything in return

I don't expect anything in return, nor do I ask for anything from him. I make no demands or requests. It's even nicer when someone gives ou something you never expected or requested.[i]

there is nothing like expecting a man to do what YOU desire... let him be himself, and either take it or leave it

It isnt just about what I desire though. Relationships are a two-way thing, aren't they? If a man will be stingy, he shouldn't come to my house expecting me to give him any food, abeg. [i][/i]
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by OnaRegina: 3:18pm On Jun 16, 2016
sunnyt1:
I wont say much about the 1st case you narated, its completely illogical and i want to think he had something up his sleeves. Its totally impossible

Im quite bothered about the idea we have about love, reading thru comments here and what iv learnt from people overtime, is giving the only fruit of love? That seem to be the picture. Someone even said a guy who loves u will spend a fortune on u, thats absolutely worrisome. Nah, a guy who wants to use and dump u or who wants to cajole u will do everytin to impress u. Isnt this the reason behind gold-digging and manipulations in relationships lately?

Peoples' past experienece has a lot to do with how they spend in their subsequent relationships.

We need to know what love and stinginess really mean

The first case is the truth.

Anyway, it is not about expecting a guy to proove his love through money, thats not what I'm about. However, if he just never happens give, thats a little odd. Even with your platonic friends, I'm sure you give from time to time however little.
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Quintee(f): 4:50pm On Jun 16, 2016
daddyrich:

I have witnessed a practical case where a guy was showering the girlfriend with gifts
and fancy outings in fancy places but he stopped immediately after wedding.

You have a point though but I think a reasonable guy shouldn't even be comfortable collecting all the time without giving too. It doesn't matter whether the lady asks or not. Same goes for a lady.

@Op, I commend you for not adopting the mentality that only guys should spend on their ladies. It's a good one.
However, you have every reason to feel worried that your guy doesn't seem to appreciate it or even reciprocate. If your boyfriend acts this way all the time even when he isn't broke, I think you have more issues to contend with and as such, you should critically re-examine his character as a person and with regards to your relationship. Try to answer these questions within you:
*Is he honest?
*Is he prudent?
*Does he pay attention to thing that mean so much to you?
*Do you feel like he has you in mind?
*Does he respect you?
*Does he value his integrity/reputation? - You may doubt the relevance of this point to the issue on ground but believe me, you'll realise it in the long run. Some people do not mind whether they come off as criminals as long as they eat, drink, sleep and breathe everyday.
*Does he have a mind of his own?
*Is he loyal?
*How does he present you to others - friends and family?
*Does he show generousity/kindness towards others?
*Does he fulfill promises? If he's unable to fulfill his promise, does he deem it fit to tell you the reason or does he try to evade his promises?
Use your discretion to adjust things if you have positive answers to the questions above or at least a substantial number of them. On the other hand, if you say no to all, you might just be hosting a parasite.
Just my opinion based on personal experience anyway.
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by urahara(m): 5:01pm On Jun 16, 2016
OnaRegina:

Thanks for your sensible comments/advice.

This one no be small thing o
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Youngpo413: 5:13pm On Jun 16, 2016
Stingy.
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by schumastic(m): 5:45pm On Jun 16, 2016
IF LADIES SAY THIS GUY IS STINGY I WON'T DOUBT IT CUS TRULY HE IS STINGY NOT THAT THREAD THAT A GIRL BROUGHT HER TWO FRIENDS ON A DATE MEANT FOR ONE AND CALLING HIM STINGY FOR NOT PAYING THEIR MOVIE TICKET.
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by Nobody: 5:57pm On Jun 16, 2016
OnaRegina:

It isnt just about what I desire though. Relationships are a two-way thing, aren't they? If a man will be stingy, he shouldn't come to my house expecting me to give him any food, abeg. [i][/i]

it's one of two things.

he probably had a bad experience in his previous relationship and has vowed never to spend on girlfriends anymore or,

he just likes the sex. no emotional connection.

whichever way I don't see this leading to anywhere.

guys get heartbroken a million times in one lifetime, shouldn't be an excuse to treat your woman shabbily.

sit him down and tell him your observations and fears. if he keeps being vague in his replies you may need to tell yourself the truth... you don't have a boyfriend yet.
Re: Is My Boyfriend Stingy Or Are My Expectations Too High? by HIGHESTPOPORI(m): 6:46pm On Jun 16, 2016
DLondonboiy:
nwanne, your boifriend is taking stinginess to a whole new level...
I tire for d bf o,some guys are lucky to have a girl that even pay their bills when they go out

(1) (2) (Reply)

Funny Whatsapp Convo Between A Guy And A Runs Girl / Some Crazy Weird Things I Did When I Was Young / Man Caught Wife Pant Down With Her Male Colleague In Their Home (video)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.