Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,488 members, 7,816,154 topics. Date: Friday, 03 May 2024 at 06:46 AM

Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu - Politics (4) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu (39632 Views)

Governor Ikpeazu Receives Obasanjo In Abia As He Arrives For A Burial Ceremony / Jubilation In Aba As Nnamdi Kanu Is Granted Bail (Photos) / Uche Ogah Arraigned For Forgery And Fraud (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by lordkhalifa(m): 7:46am On Jun 28, 2016
dunkem21:

I won't doubt you, bro. Other people have expressed same here. I'll call Aba to confirm.

Okezie recently negotiated for a refinery to be built in Abia. We shouldn't just throw away the baby with the bubbles..

Believe me, we campaigned for Uche.
refinery to be build in Aba This is pure white elephant project, the governor is as confused as yesterday... If u visit Aba u will shed tears, aba is the commercial city of Abia that generate 80% of it internal revenue, but why is the city left to decay like this to the extend the source of income which is trade/commerce is left to crumble, no accessible road from Highway express to aba main town, Ikpeazu were busy destroying demolishing closing businesses belonging to non-indigens merely because they did not endorse/vote for him during last year gubernatorial election, the people of Abia are not asking for industries , government fund or any other thing from government, what they are asking him is to fix the roads atlease if not up to standard but to be motorable, provide security, remove touts from the streets of Aba, warn his brothers to stop harassing people doing there legitimate business in Abia... Ikpeazu is not that idol-governor citizen of Abian clamored for, he lack the firepower the zeal to delivered, before the supreme ruling he is busy demolishing from one end to another, fixing potholes constructing drainage but immediately the supreme pass judgment in his favour all the contractors, the bulldozers caterpillars disappear overnight, from aba main town to express road can take motorist upto 2hours, but before the roads are manageable its not upto 10minutes drive to express highway, business is not moving due to bads roads yet he tax business owner twice what they can get in 2months, every dick tom and harry in Abia are shedding tears, everyday new tax are brought up, he employed his kins as government tax agents harassing people, if u own a television or radio set in your office or shop u must buy emblem before u use it, even primary school children are asked to start paying tax, the bill to start collecting tax from mobile phone users have pass to second reading at state house of Assembles... Ikpeazu and his political master is out to milk gullible citizen of abia state dry... So is good we try another capable hand that will take the state to the greater height
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by NnamdiN: 7:55am On Jun 28, 2016
nwadiuko1:
if you stay in Aba.....get your self a camera, I will transport you round aba today.......your food is on me too........just meet me at crunchies @ bata.........but on the condition that you will publish the pictures here.......if we have a deal Dm me your phone number
lovely offer but I'm not in aba at the moment. Moved to a saner clime (uyo)
dunkem21:

I am particular about the refinery about to commence in Abia. kiss
you actually believe that? grin
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by nwadiuko1(m): 7:59am On Jun 28, 2016
NnamdiN:
lovely offer but I'm not in aba at the moment. Moved to a saner clime (uyo) you actually believe that? grin
if you are not in Aba please stop saying things you don't know about the governor or Aba.........my offer still stands for anybody doubting the fact that the governor is working....
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by john650(m): 8:13am On Jun 28, 2016
olapluto:
This doesnt sound right. A man who never campaigned is handed the governorship. Why not order a rerun?
This one tire me my brother. I don't know what type of judges we have in Nigerian. This one no get common sense or he has been bribed.

How can a man who polled second in a primary be handed the governorship? What about the opposition candidate who campaigned and lost to the governor? Perhaps he should just sit there and lick his wounds.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by lordkhalifa(m): 8:19am On Jun 28, 2016
nwadiuko1:
do you even know what a trillion is?
No I don't please tell me
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by precious1967(m): 8:29am On Jun 28, 2016
this useless and shameless ikpeasu would ve compelled his people to pay their taxes while he paid his three years tax once because of an election. saraki and ekweremadu family.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by nwaoma7(m): 9:09am On Jun 28, 2016
If you are from Abia state and you are not happy over this news, you are a suspect.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by dunkem21(m): 9:13am On Jun 28, 2016
lordkhalifa:
refinery to be build in Aba This is pure white elephant project, the governor is as confused as yesterday... If u visit Aba u will shed tears, aba is the commercial city of Abia that generate 80% of it internal revenue, but why is the city left to decay like this to the extend the source of income which is trade/commerce is left to crumble, no accessible road from Highway express to aba main town, Ikpeazu were busy destroying demolishing closing businesses belonging to non-indigens merely because they did not endorse/vote for him during last year gubernatorial election, the people of Abia are not asking for industries , government fund or any other thing from government, what they are asking him is to fix the roads atlease if not up to standard but to be motorable, provide security, remove touts from the streets of Aba, warn his brothers to stop harassing people doing there legitimate business in Abia... Ikpeazu is not that idol-governor citizen of Abian clamored for, he lack the firepower the zeal to delivered, before the supreme ruling he is busy demolishing from one end to another, fixing potholes constructing drainage but immediately the supreme pass judgment in his favour all the contractors, the bulldozers caterpillars disappear overnight, from aba main town to express road can take motorist upto 2hours, but before the roads are manageable its not upto 10minutes drive to express highway, business is not moving due to bads roads yet he tax business owner twice what they can get in 2months, every dick tom and harry in Abia are shedding tears, everyday new tax are brought up, he employed his kins as government tax agents harassing people, if u own a television or radio set in your office or shop u must buy emblem before u use it, even primary school children are asked to start paying tax, the bill to start collecting tax from mobile phone users have pass to second reading at state house of Assembles... Ikpeazu and his political master is out to milk gullible citizen of abia state dry... So is good we try another capable hand that will take the state to the greater height

I said Refinery in Abia.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by dunkem21(m): 9:16am On Jun 28, 2016
nwadiuko1:
if you are not in Aba please stop saying things you don't know about the governor or Aba.........my offer still stands for anybody doubting the fact that the governor is working....

The thing tire me o..

We have said Uche is sound and competent but doesn't mean Ikpeazu is not working.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by Wiseandtrue(f): 9:26am On Jun 28, 2016
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by NnamdiN: 9:50am On Jun 28, 2016
nwadiuko1:
my last visit hasn't been up to a week, I remember you guys said he was working on opobo road, dredging waterside etc, is any of that true?
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by nwadiuko1(m): 9:53am On Jun 28, 2016
NnamdiN:
my last visit hasn't been up to a week, I remember you guys said he was working on opobo road, dredging waterside etc, is any of that true?
if you want to know if it's true.......take a trip to Aba now.......i l pay for all the expense.......get a camera while coming
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by Nobody: 10:11am On Jun 28, 2016
another 1year wasted in south East again. dis 1 we start his own administration dis year. bolitisiany
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by DLioness(f): 10:29am On Jun 28, 2016
olapluto:
This doesnt sound right. A man who never campaigned is handed the governorship. Why not order a rerun?
Did Amaechi (former govnr of Rivers) participate in electn?
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by DLioness(f): 10:35am On Jun 28, 2016
john650:

This one tire me my brother. I don't know what type of judges we have in Nigerian. This one no get common sense or he has been bribed.

How can a man who polled second in a primary be handed the governorship? What about the opposition candidate who campaigned and lost to the governor? Perhaps he should just sit there and lick his wounds.
wn u voted did u see anybody 's name in ballot papr? U voted pdp hnc their candidate must lead. Ikpeazu is nt competent so his second is presumd to ve won the primaries. That is the interpretation of the law.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by darelar(m): 10:37am On Jun 28, 2016
No one is giving kudos to Buhari now, but if it's against pdp, you would have see different post condemning Buhari led government. Every judgment can't favour you.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by nwadiuko1(m): 10:40am On Jun 28, 2016
DLioness:
are you conversant with the amended electoral laws?
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by DLioness(f): 10:50am On Jun 28, 2016
nwadiuko1:
are you conversant with the amended electoral laws?
Yes
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by nwadiuko1(m): 10:56am On Jun 28, 2016
DLioness:
Yes
if you are conversant with the recently amended electoral law, you should know that after the amechi, omehia brouhaha, a clause was inputed which states " that on no account should a tribunal or any court thereof, cause to be sworn in anybody who did not participate IN ALL THE STAGES of the election process"
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by DLioness(f): 11:10am On Jun 28, 2016
nwadiuko1:
if you are conversant with the recently amended electoral law, you should know that after the amechi, omehia brouhaha, a clause was inputed which states " that on no account should a tribunal or any court thereof, cause to be sworn in anybody who did not participate IN ALL THE STAGES of the election process"
This is subjct to more dn one interpretation. It is nt always dt the literary rule of interpretation is used and sections complement each oda.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by nwadiuko1(m): 11:11am On Jun 28, 2016
DLioness:
This is subjct to more dn interpretation. It is nt always dt the literary rule of interpretation is used and sections complement each oda.
can you elaborate more on this apart from the "literary rule"?
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by obisite: 11:47am On Jun 28, 2016
nwadiuko1:

When did the amended law take place... Just curious about the kogi issue... Did the amended law took place after kogi gov was sworn in...?
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by obisite: 11:53am On Jun 28, 2016
john650:

The verdict is for individual representing the party,(inter party crisis) cases of Individual against individual within the same party, and not party against party herself.. If the case is against the party, then the opposition party will be ask to take over..
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by kahal29: 12:18pm On Jun 28, 2016
nwadiuko1:

That section of the Electoral act has been nullified by both the Federal High Court and Supreme Court judgment on the case BTW jev and Iyortom. The Supreme Court held that a court can declare a candidate winner in a pre election matter and this was the basis of justice Okon Abang judgment yst.

See link of the FHC judgment :

http://www.vanguardngr.com/2011/07/court-rejects-sections-of-2010-electoral-act/

See details of Supreme Court judgment :

Supreme Court Revisits Decision Ordering Fresh Elections in Buruku Federal Constituency:

The instant case exemplifies that often quoted saying that the Supreme Court is final not because it is infallible, but it is infallible because it is final. In the instant case, the Supreme Court revisited its earlier decision, based on section 141 of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended), that fresh elections should be conducted in Buruku Federal Constituency of Benue State. Thus, although section 141 forbids the courts to declare a candidate who did not take part in all the stages of an election as winner, the court held that the section did not apply to the Federal High Court, the Supreme Court, or Pre-election matters to which the instant case fell into, and ordered the immediate swearing in of S.D. Iyortom as a member of the House of Representatives. Facts The fact of this case is an offshoot of the Supreme Court decision delivered on 30 May 2014. That day, the Supreme Court substituted the orders of the lower court (that S.D. Iyortom “the 1st Respondent” be sworn in to represent Buruku Federal Constituency as a member in the Federal House of Representatives), with the order that fresh elections be conducted in which the 1st Respondent’s name will be substituted with that of the 1st Appellant.

A background to the Court of Appeal’s decision can be gleaned from what transpired on the 12th day of January, 2011. That day, the Action Congress of Nigeria (ACN) conducted its primary elections to choose its candidates for the Buruku Federal Constituency in the Federal House of Representatives. Oriker Jev (“the 1st Appellant”), the 1st respondent, and one John Tine contested the primary election which was won by the 1st respondent with 8,030 votes. The 1st appellant scored 1,316 votes, while John Tine got 494 votes. The 3rd respondent, who headed the electoral committee that supervised the primary election, submitted a comprehensive report to the Independent National Electoral Commission (INEC). In the report, the 1st Appellant was named as the winner of the primary election.

This prompted the 1st respondent to institute an action at the Federal High Court in Makurdi. In the action, he claimed that INEC failed in its statutory duties to declare him winner having scored the highest number of votes at the end of the primary election. The High Court gave judgment in his favour and ordered the swearing in of the 1st Respondent to represent Buruku Federal Constituency in the Federal House of Representatives. The Court of Appeal affirmed the judgment. However on a further appeal, the Supreme Court considered the provisions of section 141 of the Electoral Act as amended and ordered fresh elections to be conducted with the 1st Respondent’s name substituted in place of the 1st Appellant.

This case invites the Supreme Court to revisit its order, and order the Independent National Electoral Commission to issue the 1st Respondent with a certificate of return as a member of the Federal House of Representatives representing Buruku constituency. The basis for the 1st Respondents application urging the Supreme Court to vary its order is that after the judgment of 30 May 2014, a judgment of the Federal High Court in LABOUR PARTY v HON. ATTORNEY GENERAL OF THE FEDERATION, delivered on 21 July 2011 by G.O. Kolawole J, was discovered. In the judgment, the provisions of section 141 of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended) were nullified.

Section 141 of the Electoral Act (as amended) provides that an election tribunal shall not declare any person a winner at an election in which he did not participate in all the stages. It is the 1st Respondent’s argument that since the said judgment has not been set aside by a higher court, it is still operative. Thus, the Supreme Court was stated to have mistakenly applied section 141 to his case under the impression that it was still valid. It was argued further that the refusal of the Supreme Court to declare the 1st Respondent as winner of the election was exclusively on the provision of section 141 of the Electoral Act 2010 (as amended). The 1st Respondent urged the Supreme Court to utilize its inherent jurisdiction under section 22 of the Supreme Court Act, Order 8 Rule 16 of the Supreme Court Rules 1999 (as amended), and Section 6(6) of the Nigerian Constitution to set aside its previous order of 30 May 2014.

In reviewing the application submitted by the 1st Respondent, the Supreme Court reiterated the age long principle as encapsulated in section 235 of the Nigerian Constitution that it cannot sit on appeal over its own judgment because they were final. According to the court, “There is no constitutional provision for the review of the judgment of the Supreme Court by itself or any other body”. The Supreme Court however listed deserving cases where it could exercise its inherent powers to set aside its judgment. These included cases where the judgment was obtained by fraud, was a nullity, or the court was misled into giving it thinking that the parties consented to it. Some of the cases referred to in support of the exercise of this inherent jurisdiction included ALAKA v ADEKUNLE, SKENCONSULT LTD. v UKE, AGUNBIADE v OKU-NOGA & CO, amongst others.

Thereafter, the Supreme Court took a closer look at section 141 and observed that the “court” referred to in the section did not include the Supreme Court or the Federal High Court. This was deduced from section 133 (2) of the same act where “tribunal or court” was defined as meaning the Court of Appeal in the case of a presidential election and the election tribunal in the case of any other election under the Electoral Act. The court also observed that the said section 141 did not relate to pre-election matters to which the 1st Respondent’s case fell into.

Having considered its earlier decision in AMAECHI v INEC, ORHENA ADUGU GBILEVE & ANOR v MRS. NGUNAN ADDIGI & ANOR, and JENKINS GIANE DIVINE GWENDE v INEC & 3ORS, the court considered the instant case as one deserving of an order to immediately swear in the successful party without the need for another election. On this note, the court ordered INEC to issue a certificate of return to the 1st Respondent, and ordered his immediate swearing in as the member representing Buruku Federal Constituency of Benue State.

1 Like

Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by giftedben: 12:19pm On Jun 28, 2016
ISpiksDaTroof:

Ahhhh... isn't this all Buhari's fault? Oh, y'all suddenly remember that youve had Governors these past 16 years?

Yes we had Governors for 16years and we gave them money from our personal pockets to build our state...like we just gave Gov. Ikpeazu Billions of naira to work fox road. You see my people don't depend on 9ja federal Government to survive unlike you.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by NICENEDU29: 12:35pm On Jun 28, 2016
DLioness:
My brother I wonder oo. Just help me ask them. As a lawyer I am, I have quoted this comment before and I cited the Amaechi's case decided by the Supreme Court in 2008 as a very good precedent the court must have followed in arriving at its decision in the Abia's case yesterday.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by DLioness(f): 12:37pm On Jun 28, 2016
NICENEDU29:

My brother I wonder oo. Just help me ask them. As a lawyer I am, I have quoted this comment before and I cited the Amaechi's case decided by the Supreme Court in 2008 as a very good precedent the court must have followed in arriving at its decision in the Abia's case yesterday.
ok bt I am female nt male
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by NICENEDU29: 12:42pm On Jun 28, 2016
DLioness:
wn u voted did u see anybody 's name in ballot papr? U voted pdp hnc their candidate must lead. Ikpeazu is nt competent so his second is presumd to ve won the primaries. That is the interpretation of the law.
Gbam! My dear u have said it all. I'm sure u must be my learned colleague. Pls let's join hands to educate the laymen here. Amaechi v. INEC is a very good precedence.

1 Like

Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by NICENEDU29: 12:50pm On Jun 28, 2016
obisite:

When did the amended law took place... Just curious about the kogi issue... Did the amended law took place after kogi gov was sworn in...?
Very good question. I think I love this.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by nwadiuko1(m): 1:11pm On Jun 28, 2016
NICENEDU29:

Very good question. I think I love this.
I think the kogi case is a different issue, elections haven't been concluded before the aspirant died........but be it as it may......justice Gabriel kolawole who gave the judgement you quoted above is still a federal high court judge (lower) and does not have the exclusive jurisdiction to declare a law made my the national assembly as null and void, because his judgement can be appealed at a higher court,

now coming to the ikpeazu issue.......pray tell me how it is possible for a public document, presented by a public authority, and also defended by the same public authority in the docks of a law court to be "false"?
even if there is a minor clerical or typographical error, it is still the duty of the public authority (Tax office here) to clarify issues with the court........it doesn't amount to tendering of false information because the person to whom it was issued (governor) did not prepare it by him self, he merely applied for his tax papers from the right authority like every other law abiding citizen.........so this case is really a no brainer that cannot withstand further judicial scrutiny......
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by NICENEDU29: 1:29pm On Jun 28, 2016
DLioness:
ok bt I am female nt male
Ooh! am so sorry my sister. Thanks for the correction.
Re: Uche Ogah: Jubilation In Abakaliki, Abia As Court Sacks Ikpeazu by DrinkWater10: 1:37pm On Jun 28, 2016
lordkhalifa:
Since you are on the ground, whats your take on the delay of the renovation of Enyimba Stadium.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (Reply)

Stella Oduah Reacts To Her Victory In Supreme Court Today / One Of Four Ogun Teenagers Arrested For Roasting Girlfriend’s Head Released / Crippled Man On A Wheelchair Protesting Against Buhari Led Government (Photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 77
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.