Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,085 members, 7,818,250 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 11:13 AM

Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. - Agriculture (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Agriculture / Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. (9724 Views)

Tomato & Cucumber Seedlings From Borno Green House / Tuta Absoluta Destroys Tomatoes In Gombe 3 LGA / Photos Of Tuta Absoluta(tomatoe Ebola) In My Farm (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by hssl(m): 12:58pm On Jul 02, 2016
Keep it up
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by DuduEkun: 4:49pm On Jul 02, 2016
Regarding Tomato Ebola and the evil moth, is there anyone with experience to share about the Pheromones and Tutrack that the Kenyans seems to swear about?
Has it worked in Nigeria?
Is it also available here and if so, at what price per unit?

It sounds like a likely solution for Tuta absoluta in and open field cultivation. What do you guys think?
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Healthilyea: 8:54pm On Jul 02, 2016
DuduEkun:

Thanks for reaching out.

Basically what I read is that I have to import the UV treated Polyethylene cover? I see quotes on Alibaba anybody wan to share their experience on ordering on Alibaba platform?

I sent u a pm
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by DuduEkun: 9:46pm On Jul 02, 2016
Healthilyea:

Hello, I have contacted several sellers on Alibaba. I contacted the lady that owns the 1st bamboo structure in d photo I posted earlier, she was kind enough to introduce me to the contact she bought uv poly and net from, funny enough it was one of the sellers I already contacted before. But I got a cheaper deal from another seller. I intend to pay and ship soon.
I sent u a pm

Hey thanks Healthilyea, please count me in by letting me in on the cost, shipment and all. I am looking to buy about 800sqm's worth of polythene cover and 150 sqm's worth of net.

where did you source your drippers from?

I need to have finished my construction by November? angry Please be kind to give me the contact..
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Healthilyea: 10:08pm On Jul 02, 2016
DuduEkun:

Hey thanks Healthilyea, please count me in by letting me in on the cost, shipment and all. I am looking to buy about 800sqm's worth of polythene cover and 150 sqm's worth of net.

where did you source your drippers from?

I need to have finished my construction by November? angry Please be kind to give me the contact..
I am not using drip tape. Want to DIY

1 Like

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Pavore9: 3:45pm On Jul 03, 2016
DuduEkun:
Regarding Tomato Ebola and the evil moth, is there anyone with experience to share about the Pheromones and Tutrack that the Kenyans seems to swear about?
Has it worked in Nigeria?
Is it also available here and if so, at what price per unit?

It sounds like a likely solution for Tuta absoluta in and open field cultivation. What do you guys think?

Seen it work in Kenya but do not know anything about Nigeria. It sells for about $8 for a complete pack which comprises the trap, lure holder, sticky paper, tutrack sachets which contains the lure. A lure is replaced after 8 weeks. A tutrack sachet on its own sells for $1. 10 traps is recommended for an acre (8 plots)

1 Like

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by seuncyrus(m): 1:16am On Jul 06, 2016
nikaShow:

Wow, this staking is interesting , the twines seem to be vertical rather than horizontal? I am assuming this isn't from the top ?

hi Bro ... pls is it possible for me to check out the greenhouse you posted ... I'll like to get some tips ... I'm in ibadan
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by seuncyrus(m): 1:19am On Jul 06, 2016
Op we're following ... Please keep the thread alive
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Afrika011: 2:11pm On Aug 03, 2016
Is your greenhouse in crisis? Are u intending to set up your greenhouse?

Contact danafrik For questions bothering your mind on Greenhouse Production or u need Advisory services.

Danafrik Agribusiness consulting is the answer to most of your questions.

Danafrik is confident of giving you the best answers that fits your questions and is proud of about 3 years growing experience under greenhouse in Nigeria. Sound Experience in Hydroponics is our selling Point and gives us an edge ahead of others........
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by sshy: 8:02pm On Aug 03, 2016
nikaShow:
Wow !

Jethro , I remain immensely impressed by your dedication.
Looks beautiful bt I have my reservations; first, they use net all over. Adverse weather might cause havoc. Secondly, they seem to have used PVC all through. They would have mixed it with timber. A strong wind, could be catastrophic. Lastly, the laying of the net, doesn't seem firm to the body of the pipes. Water might form on the nets after rain. Looking at it from experience, it will fail the 'drum test'. Please across to them and tell them my concerns.
I also am following a locally made screen house. Made by some brilliant young minds in ibadan, Nigeria....they are also growing tomatoes, they are doing aeropony, I'm watching out to see the fate of the tomatoes, the screen house they built is still expensive, fabricated locally as well, but looks great for the job, but I want to see the crops result.

Pls, keep up the persistent great work, that gold is close !
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 4:22pm On Aug 13, 2016
Vacancy ! Vacancy!! Vacancy!!!

Farm Manager Vacancy are existing at the following location:

1. Ogun State
2. Oyo State
3. Lagos State

Salary Package: Very attractive
On farm accommodation inclusive

Requirements:

1. Candidate must be able to read and write

2.. Successful completion of 3 month intensive agribusiness training from Ago Amodu farm settlement.

3. Passion and dedication to work are utmost priorities.

Contact.
Adesola Yinka
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Arvinkris(m): 8:16pm On Aug 13, 2016
How is the yield of ur tomato from the green house?
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by jethro2: 3:58pm On Sep 21, 2016
The tomato greenhouse

Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by peterbabs(m): 8:12am On Oct 09, 2016
Pavore9:

Seen it work in Kenya but do not know anything about Nigeria. It sells for about $8 for a complete pack which comprises the trap, lure holder, sticky paper, tutrack sachets which contains the lure. A lure is replaced after 8 weeks. A tutrack sachet on its own sells for $1. 10 traps is recommended for an acre (8 plots)

Thanks, Pavore9, for the tip.
Do you know if tutrack is sold in Nigeria?
Can you assist with getting it sent from Kenya?
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Pavore9: 7:06pm On Oct 09, 2016
peterbabs:

Thanks, Pavore9, for the tip.
Do you know if tutrack is sold in Nigeria?
Can you assist with getting it sent from Kenya?

Send a PM.
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by saidu4urp(m): 6:12am On Oct 10, 2016
MrKong:
Isn't this interesting?...donno how well the seeds will do in Nigeria but I'm thinking of giving it a short. Ukrainean supplier embarassed

good morning, pls the pix of the green house tomatoes u post,how can one get the verity of the seedling in nigeria. thanks.
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by MrKong: 6:39am On Oct 10, 2016
saidu4urp:

good morning, pls the pix of the green house tomatoes u post,how can one get the verity of the seedling in nigeria. thanks.
Seedlings?...No
But you can get the seeds on online malls like konga, jumia etc
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by pounds2(m): 6:44am On Dec 01, 2016
Hi Jethro, Using your model, whats the estimate for a 500m square greenhouse?
kindly email us kings_unn@yahoo.com. Thanks
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Healthilyea: 4:40am On Mar 05, 2017
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by NaijaPonics: 12:03pm On Apr 17, 2017
wow... nice works guys. keep it up guys.

I think i can help with problems facing the few hydroponics farmers in the country. I am very much interested in hydroponics myself, but the issues facing this type of system in the country is one of the reason i have not started mine. So i have being studying the art of hydroponics for years now and i have being able to find solutions to many of the challenges. eg.

TEMPERATURE ISSUES (i can now build a low energy evaporative cooling system and gio-cooling system for green house)

NUTRIENT ISSUES (i have a tested hydroponic nutrient formula, and still testing it on tomato and leafy greens, also have have a technique to maintain a constant nutrient temperature all year round)

GREENHOUSE ISSUES (I can now build a greenhouse out of wood and PVC pipes now)

and so many other improvements i have made.
what works abroad can also work here, we just need to study and upgrade it to meet our needs.

i Am NaijaPonics (we solve hydroponics and greenhouse challenges)
call:- 08083737488; 08161243580
these are my opinion and i know they are right
nikaShow:
Wow !

Jethro , I remain immensely impressed by your dedication.

I also am following a locally made screen house. Made by some brilliant young minds in ibadan, Nigeria....they are also growing tomatoes, they are doing aeropony, I'm watching out to see the fate of the tomatoes, the screen house they built is still expensive, fabricated locally as well, but looks great for the job, but I want to see the crops result.

Pls, keep up the persistent great work, that gold is close !
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by DeKen: 4:44am On Nov 06, 2017
pounds2:
Hi Jethro, Using your model, whats the estimate for a 500m square greenhouse?
kindly email us kings_unn@yahoo.com. Thanks
@jethro2 can you please answer this question, I'm also interested. Thanks.
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by Bonn01: 7:03pm On Jun 14, 2018
I need help on how to import the green house cover and the insect net.
Re: Green House Farming: Curbing Tuta Absoluta. The Tomato Headache. by bellville: 12:36pm On Jun 16, 2018
Nice thread.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

Buyers are needed for Dl-methionine, Vitamin C, DCP, 65% and 72% Fish Meal / We Specialize In Supply Of CASTOR SEEDS / Invest In Ekiti State Plantain Village Project

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 32
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.