Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,584 members, 7,820,110 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 09:55 AM

Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? - Religion (3) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? (9382 Views)

Poll: True or false: is drinking alcohol a sin?

True: 22% (21 votes)
False: 77% (73 votes)
This poll has ended

Is It Sinful To Deny Christ Under Threat Of Death? / Is Kissing And Hugging Sinful In Christian Courtship? / Is It Sinful To Wear Trousers As A Christian Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by allycat: 12:48pm On Sep 08, 2009
One of the most important crops in biblical times was the vine, the tree that produces grapes and its most important product was wine or vino as it is still called in the mediteranian till today. In the cultures of the people from whom Christianity evolved,  wine is an integral part of thier lives. The Israelis, the Italians,the Spaniards and Greek do not consider any meal complete without wine, till this day. I tell you the Christians in those nations are no less Christlike than those of us in Nigeria that are holier than the pope.
Of course there are some people who were asked in the bible to keep off alcohol and consecrate themselves but it was never said to be sinful. If you compare yourselves to the Levites I will advice you to go back read Leviticus and Deuteronomy and make sure you keep to all those rules like never shaving your head or cutting the sides of your beards, never wearing materials made of two fabrics like wool and cotten blends or never having a farm with more than one crop (apply that principle to your business). And least I forget the Levites were not allowed to own any property- Then I will know you are serious.
The problem we have inNija christianity today is we have become like the pharesees , as Jesus told them in Luke 11v46 'And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load peopledown with burdens they can hardly carry and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them'.
 If Jesus were to come today a lot of people would not consider him holy enough.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Elgaxton(m): 1:52pm On Sep 08, 2009
@egaxton
Of all people to quote from, the professional bible twister and very shallow person in the mould of Mr chris oyakhilome. Are you saying the final authurity Jesus himself was sinning on the several occassions the bible recorded he took wine? Phew what a bunch of daft hypocrites.

@Jagoon,

That u don't believe Pastor Chris or other MOGs does not make us like u ok!

If a pastor preaches any thing which routes itself to God's word and do my research

which leads to my response. So guy behave urself and stop calling pple Hypocrites where u don't eve have answers!

I no get time for Penis Swinging Contest at all o, but if u try me u go see o!

Ask pple wey know me 4 here!
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by RiffRaff: 2:15pm On Sep 08, 2009
even jesus turn water into wine. grin
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Theblessed(f): 3:07pm On Sep 08, 2009
cesc4:

according to the dictionary wine is anytin dat has alcohol and the bible neva said we should not take alcohol.though takin too much may be bad because we all knw that too much of everytin is not good including money and since the sayin goes thus that money is the root of all evil we as xtians cant say we wont send money because it is the root of all evil so as alcohol we av no right to say takin alcohol is a sin.

Sorry brother, as a Christian myself, I felt the need to draw to your attention to this error.  I am sure you and other Christians thought this to be a cool way to represent the word 'Christian' as above but it is not.  The shortening of the word 'Christian' to xtian is the product of non-Christians e.g. Moslems would rather represent Christian this way than the correct way due to the fact that they do not believe in Jesus Christ our Lord and Saviour. They feel by cancelling off the word 'Christ' with an X, represents their non-acknowledgement of Jesus Christ so, why join them?  Therefore, be proud of your Faith and represent it fully instead of the IGNORANT AND LAZY way.  Please, encourage others to be proud of their Faith and deviate from such satanic ways and  behaviour.  Don't make it easy for satan and his servants, please!
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by doctorbabs(m): 3:24pm On Sep 08, 2009
Quran totally against drinking of alcohol which i believe bible also con denmed it check Proverb 31. "it said give hard drink to those who want to perish". Bible didn't say that Jesus turned water to alcohol but water to wine. Wine is different from alcholol.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Theblessed(f): 3:40pm On Sep 08, 2009
KunleOshob:

It really pieces me off when people try to force their own opinions into the bible, ther is absolutely NO injunction in the bible which forbids the drinking of alcohol by christians. We were just advised to drink in moderation.There is no point in subtracting from the bible just becos it doesn't favor your argument the bible makes it clear that he drinks in that passage. The emphasis of the passage is not what is the issue here it is the drinking issue which th passage confirms and for emphasis i would reproduce it here:

Luke 7:33-34:

33For John the Baptist came neither eating bread nor drinking wine, and ye say, `He hath a devil.'

34The Son of Man is come eating and drinking, and ye say, `Behold, a gluttonous man and a winebibber, a friend of publicans and sinners!'

May God bless you for enlightening us all with this wisdom of God.  And to support this arguement about Tee total from alcohol as against drinking in moderation, may I ask some fanatical Christians on N/L (who wants to rule us with iron hands - thank God our God is a Liberal God!) whether the LAST SUPPER WAS PRESENTED or SERVED WITH STONE AND WATER IF NOT BREAD AND WINE?? And bread and wine as we all know even till this day, is the symbolism of the body and blood of Christ Jesus. Glory!  I hope these so called scholars of the Bible stop messing with our heads because majority of us are enlightened enough to read and interpret the Bible the best we can and if we can't we know a man who could. In a nutshell, we are allowed to drink but in moderation.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by allycat: 4:36pm On Sep 08, 2009
Luke 11v46 Jesus replied'' And you experts in the law, woe to you, because you load people down with burdens they can hardly carry, and you yourselves will not lift one finger to help them''.
If Jesus Christ were to come back today he may have to repeat these same words to so many Christians. In fact if he came to Nigeria today we may even consider him not holy enough.
We have become like the pharisees, worrying about every law given to the Jews and leaving off the things Jesus asked us to do like caring for the the widows and orphans. Instead our greatest problems are what another person drinks or wears.

To gen2genius
that list you gave was of the side effects of excessive drinking, Medically it has been found that parts of the world like the mediteranian regions like greece and spain where red wine is drunk on a daily basis and japan where sake is also drank daily have the lowest levels of cardiac disease. Excessive food intake causes obesity and a plethora of diseases from diabetes to hypertension to atherosclerosis and the death rate for obesity related illness is higher than that for alcohol related illness and I havent seen you say eating food is a sin.
What the bible advices is moderation and if you know you cannot control yourself avoidance. Dont create extra burdens for people.

I dont take alcohol. not because it is a sin but because I do not see how it profits me. BUT that is my own personal conviction, It would be hypocritic of me to want to force it on others.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by kunleweb: 4:37pm On Sep 08, 2009
What a pity,i see now why people don't get their prayers answered,force your convictions upon yourselves not on God because you drink little alcohol you have bent it to mean that God permits little drinking without getting drunk,was it not alcohol Noah drank and as a result swore to the entire african generations.its a choice,its eden back to eden eat your vine fruits or choose not to,however do not seek validations to illness of your ill desires that alcohol intake is supported by God in anyway,cos whether we like it or not we are containers,carrying within us His spirit and messing up the cleanliness of us inhibits the work of the Spirit shey ti gbo.Alcohol takers, not discrediting you however don't say the Bible never said because of your attitude a fool that admits a fault and is admonished is wiser than a pretended wise one.

out
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by kunleweb: 4:38pm On Sep 08, 2009
Wine and Alcohol is there not a difference?

Wine can be soft drink, Gain Wisdom,wine can be fruit produce not ethanol fermented brain activity malfunctioning drink.tk
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by AndreUweh(m): 7:49pm On Sep 08, 2009
Irrespective of Sharia laws, muslims alcohol intake is higher than their xtian counterparts in Nigeria.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by codelady(f): 11:19pm On Sep 08, 2009
To all those who say God abhors the drinking of alcohol- 1 Tim 1:8 - moderate your drinking, 1 Tim 5:23 - health benefits of wine. Those who self-righteously DISTORT the word of God are no better than liars, who God hates . I laugh at the character who said wine is not alcohol- what is it then? Fruit juice? Open your eyes. Read educative books and journals. Stop imposing your narrow minded views on others, Pastors wannabe. Scripture tells us to moderate our intake. Why did God allow His Son perform the first miracle based on alcohol? Stop twisting God's holy word just because it sounds offensive to you!
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by sodconfirm: 11:40pm On Sep 08, 2009
Hey Don't scare the hell outta me, my people drink pure ogogoro and get older than 100, Oyimbo has scammed you ! So they introduce their's and call it treated. We will all die one day old or young! Nothing can kill when it's not time !!!, Pop anything and shayo anything, If this is your own view because you don't smoke or drink then beware too much of everything is bad !.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by finemocha(f): 11:46pm On Sep 08, 2009
no its not sinful, just aslong as u dont drink and text or drink and drive. its kool grin grin
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by allycat: 12:38am On Sep 09, 2009
Why are my post dissapearing, I definitely was not rude or insultive and my post have been deleted twice on this thread. Meanwhile I keep getting notification of replies to my mail.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Fineone2yk(m): 11:19am On Sep 09, 2009
well i dnt know why u all are saying this again again and again, plsease is not a sin to drink alcohol, drink as much as u can, when ur at home, drink ur self and personal personephices and personeficacations to death if u want but not when ur on duty, drink and be happy every body, it will be a very big sin if ur a doctor and when ur on duty drink, it might make u inject @ abnormal time which may lead to kill,but what im trying na invasize is this, drink if u can, if it gives you joy, if drink is a sin then snurf is also a sin, all this contains what that moves ok, so i said u should drink and get drunk ok,

please why is it that i dnt have friends at all here is it that im not a member or what? or is it bcs im new i just registered? please u people should tell me what to do so i will be a full member here, im from nigeria and i want he that will help me to get to any country were i can be able to play as footballer my dad is late and i ve no other help, please am 23yrs of age a male 4rm nigeria my number 2348036348188, please u people should post my comment so that people in the world will see it and reply to me, please my email adress is fineone2yk@yahoo.com, god fearing one should help me please i can aford a flight ticket to any country i dont have the connection to get a visa and the money here in nigeria to get a visa is very hard and dificult, thanks
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by aristocrat(m): 12:45pm On Sep 09, 2009
@ GENTOGENIUS SE U B MEDICAL PRACTITIONER OR A LAWYER ? U SOUND LIKE A DOCTOR AND U COAT LIKE A LAWYER.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Gamine(f): 2:49pm On Sep 09, 2009
oo.OO

not again.

It is sinful, case closed jare.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Pittbaby(f): 2:56pm On Sep 09, 2009
not contributing to the argument but just wanted to clarify that there is no such thing as not alcoholic wine . There is fruit juice and sparking cider, because you put in a wine bottle and drink it in a wine glass , does not make it wine
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by aristocrat(m): 3:02pm On Sep 09, 2009
shayo na shayo nothing like wine , they all hav alchoholic content
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by springtime(m): 4:54pm On Sep 09, 2009
As a student of toxicology, i Know that all substances are potential poison, only the quantity determines how poisonous and the effect on the body. According to the Bible, gluttony is a sin (overindulgence in food) does that make food or eating a sin?.Alcohol taken in moderation is o.k, but drunkeenes is Bad.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by wolexanda(m): 4:00pm On Sep 10, 2009
it is not a sin since you have not been adicted to it but if you have been adicted to it is sin
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by rabzy: 12:54pm On Sep 11, 2009
@ osazu, i think the following scriptures you listed below has more to tell us than you did on wine.
Le 10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong  thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:

Nu 6:3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
Jg 13:4 Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:
Jg 13:14 She may not eat of any thing that cometh of the vine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, nor eat any unclean thing: all that I commanded her let her observe.
Pr 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Pr 31:4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
Pr 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. {of, : Heb. bitter of soul}
Lu 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; {given, : or, ready to quarrel, and offer wrong, as one in wine}
1Ti 3:8 ¶ Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre

@osazu i appreciate your verseness in the scriptures, but you did not tell us the full context of the scriptures you quoted below: i would like to analyze each verse by verse:

Num 6:2-4 Speak to the sons of Israel and you must say to them, ‘In case a man or a woman takes a special vow to live as a Naz′i·rite to Jehovah, 3 he should keep away from wine and intoxicating liquor. He should not drink the vinegar of wine or the vinegar of intoxicating liquor, nor drink any liquid made from grapes, nor eat grapes either fresh or dried. 4 All the days of his Naziriteship he should not eat anything at all that is made from the wine vine, from the unripe grapes to the skins.

The above scriptures which you did not explain clearly shows that alcohol was forbidden because the person is taking up a speacial vow, note he also has to avoid any drink or liquid made from grapes and he cant even eat the grapes either fresh or dried and he should do this all the days of his naziriteship. The nazirite vow is one you take up either for life or for a given period of time and these rules apply. So if wine is forbidden by this scripture for everyone, so the will the eating of grapes and or any liquid from grapes.

Le 10:9 : 9 “Do not drink wine or intoxicating liquor, you and your sons with you, WHEN you come into the tent of meeting, that you may not die. It is a statute to time indefinite for your generations, 10 both in order to make a distinction between the holy thing and the profane and between the unclean thing and the clean.

This also specifically states that the high priest must not touch wine when he is officiating, not that he cant drink while he is at home or with friends. and for those who say that wine is not alcoholic, that is so naive, apart from the dictionary proof that there is no such thing as non-alcoholic wine, those terms only exist here, go and check it out with archaelogists and Scholars of ancient they would tell you, it is intoxicating wine.

Jud 13:4 In time Jehovah’s angel appeared to the woman and said to her: “Look, now, you are barren and have borne no child. And you will certainly become pregnant and give birth to a son. 4 And now watch yourself, please, and do not drink wine or intoxicating liquor, and do not eat anything unclean. 5 For, look! you will be pregnant, and you will certainly give birth to a son, and no razor should come upon his head, because a Naz′i·rite of God is what the child will become on leaving the belly; and he it is who will take the lead in saving Israel out of the hand of the Phi·lis′tines.”

it is clear that this was another case of a special birth, this child (samuel) is already ordained to be a nazirite, he wont take the vow as an adult, but would be born as a nazirite, so his mother was forbidden to take wine nor any intoxicating liquor. No other mother was asked to refrain froom taking wine, even mary the mother of Jesus, because Jesus was not going to be a nazirite. If the woman was not expressly forbidden and told about the nazirite child, then she would have noreason not to take wine in moderation.

Pr 23:31  Who has woe? Who has uneasiness? Who has contentions? Who has concern? Who has wounds for no reason? Who has dullness of eyes? 30 Those staying a long time with the wine, those coming in to search out mixed wine. 31 Do not look at wine when it exhibits a red color, when it gives off its sparkle in the cup, [when] it goes with a slickness. 32 At its end it bites just like a serpent, and it secretes poison just like a viper. 33 Your own eyes will see strange things, and your own heart will speak perverse things. 34 And you will certainly become like one lying down in the heart of the sea, even like one lying down at the top of a mast. 35 “They have struck me, but I did not become sick; they have smitten me, but I did not know it. When shall I wake up? I shall seek it yet some more.”

This clearly is talking about drinking too much wine (those staying a long time with wine), those who take pleasure in mixing wine and who are fascinated with flavors and mixtures and are enthralled by it, they have a danger of over indulgeness and then messing up themselves. the conditions described in those scriptures are definitely those of a drunken person.

Pr 31:3,4
Do not give your vital energy to women, nor your ways to [what leads to] wiping out kings.4 It is not for kings, O Lem′u·el, it is not for kings to drink wine or for high officials [to say:] “Where is intoxicating liquor?” 5 that one may not drink and forget what is decreed and pervert the cause of any of the sons of affliction. 6 Give intoxicating liquor, YOU people, to the one about to perish and wine to those who are bitter of soul. 7 Let one drink and forget one’s poverty, and let one remember one’s own trouble no more.

Does this verse imply that lemuel should not sleep with any woman, because even if you sleep with one woman you would lose part of your energy, no he was talking about womanizing and the dangers, i.e too much women like what destroyed Solomon. In the same vein, she is asking him to watch from taking wine for he would be in danger of drinking so much that he would forget weightier matters and pervert justice, it is only a chronic drunk and alcoholic that would do this. She was warning him not as forbidden drink but as something that should not be over indulged in.
'Give wine to those about to perish'. thats an interesting statement. Its not saying wine leads to destruction, but its saying those who are heartbroken or are already on a destructive behavioral pattern would be aided further when they indulge in wine.and its true, men lose their job, they turn to the bottle to quench their sorrow, but they find out it turns out worse for them.

Luke 1:15 However, the angel said to him: “Have no fear, Zech·a·ri′ah, because your supplication has been favorably heard, and your wife Elizabeth will become mother to a son to you, and you are to call his name John. 14 And you will have joy and great gladness, and many will rejoice over his birth; 15 for he will be great before Jehovah. But he must drink no wine and strong drink at all, and he will be filled with holy spirit right from his mother’s womb; 16 and many of the sons of Israel will he turn back to Jehovah their God.

this was a case of another special birth, John the Baptist. it does not apply to all Israelites.

Eph 5:18 Also, do not be getting drunk with wine, in which there is debauchery, but keep getting filled with spirit.

This is clear enough, do not get drunk, and not 'do not drink'

the same applies to the last two scriptures osazu quoted 1tim 3:3, 8.

Lastly the mosaic law is quite explicit on sins and their punishment, incest, fornication, theft but there is nothing on drinking wine and that is because it was not forbidden but evryone is to exercise caution just like in food and evrything else. Sex is a gift from God, but it has been most abused than alcohol, this does not make it a sin to have sex in tyhe confines of marriage,

Jesus warns us about the pharisees, who teach commands of men as doctrines, they see only themselves as righteous and all others as sinners because they have turn the law into a burden, adding unnecessary restrictions which God did not forbid. Ecclesiates 3:16 says 'Do not become righteous overmuch, nor show yourself excessively wise'

This condenmation of alcohol by modern day pharisees is just over-righteousness. Lets not go beyond the bounds of the scriptures. People now come up with 'God told me', how do you verify that claim. Well if you are very familiar with the Bible just check it against the scriptures andif it contradicts the word of God, then you can throw back in the 'man of God's face'.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by mcfranc(m): 5:42pm On Sep 11, 2009
rabzy:

@ osazu, i think the following scriptures you listed below has more to tell us than you did on wine.
Le 10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong  thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:

Nu 6:3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
Jg 13:4 Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:
Jg 13:14 She may not eat of any thing that cometh of the vine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, nor eat any unclean thing: all that I commanded her let her observe.
Pr 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Pr 31:4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
Pr 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. {of, : Heb. bitter of soul}
Lu 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; {given, : or, ready to quarrel, and offer wrong, as one in wine}
1Ti 3:8 ¶ Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre

@osazu i appreciate your verseness in the scriptures, but you did not tell us the full context of the scriptures you quoted below: i would like to analyze each verse by verse:

Num 6:2-4 Speak to the sons of Israel and you must say to them, ‘In case a man or a woman takes a special vow to live as a Naz′i·rite to Jehovah, 3 he should keep away from wine and intoxicating liquor. He should not drink the vinegar of wine or the vinegar of intoxicating liquor, nor drink any liquid made from grapes, nor eat grapes either fresh or dried. 4 All the days of his Naziriteship he should not eat anything at all that is made from the wine vine, from the unripe grapes to the skins.

The above scriptures which you did not explain clearly shows that alcohol was forbidden because the person is taking up a speacial vow, note he also has to avoid any drink or liquid made from grapes and he cant even eat the grapes either fresh or dried and he should do this all the days of his naziriteship. The nazirite vow is one you take up either for life or for a given period of time and these rules apply. So if wine is forbidden by this scripture for everyone, so the will the eating of grapes and or any liquid from grapes.

Le 10:9 : 9 “Do not drink wine or intoxicating liquor, you and your sons with you, WHEN you come into the tent of meeting, that you may not die. It is a statute to time indefinite for your generations, 10 both in order to make a distinction between the holy thing and the profane and between the unclean thing and the clean.

This also specifically states that the high priest must not touch wine when he is officiating, not that he cant drink while he is at home or with friends. and for those who say that wine is not alcoholic, that is so naive, apart from the dictionary proof that there is no such thing as non-alcoholic wine, those terms only exist here, go and check it out with archaelogists and Scholars of ancient they would tell you, it is intoxicating wine.

Jud 13:4 In time Jehovah’s angel appeared to the woman and said to her: “Look, now, you are barren and have borne no child. And you will certainly become pregnant and give birth to a son. 4 And now watch yourself, please, and do not drink wine or intoxicating liquor, and do not eat anything unclean. 5 For, look! you will be pregnant, and you will certainly give birth to a son, and no razor should come upon his head, because a Naz′i·rite of God is what the child will become on leaving the belly; and he it is who will take the lead in saving Israel out of the hand of the Phi·lis′tines.”

it is clear that this was another case of a special birth, this child (samuel) is already ordained to be a nazirite, he wont take the vow as an adult, but would be born as a nazirite, so his mother was forbidden to take wine nor any intoxicating liquor. No other mother was asked to refrain froom taking wine, even mary the mother of Jesus, because Jesus was not going to be a nazirite. If the woman was not expressly forbidden and told about the nazirite child, then she would have noreason not to take wine in moderation.

Pr 23:31  Who has woe? Who has uneasiness? Who has contentions? Who has concern? Who has wounds for no reason? Who has dullness of eyes? 30 Those staying a long time with the wine, those coming in to search out mixed wine. 31 Do not look at wine when it exhibits a red color, when it gives off its sparkle in the cup, [when] it goes with a slickness. 32 At its end it bites just like a serpent, and it secretes poison just like a viper. 33 Your own eyes will see strange things, and your own heart will speak perverse things. 34 And you will certainly become like one lying down in the heart of the sea, even like one lying down at the top of a mast. 35 “They have struck me, but I did not become sick; they have smitten me, but I did not know it. When shall I wake up? I shall seek it yet some more.”

This clearly is talking about drinking too much wine (those staying a long time with wine), those who take pleasure in mixing wine and who are fascinated with flavors and mixtures and are enthralled by it, they have a danger of over indulgeness and then messing up themselves. the conditions described in those scriptures are definitely those of a drunken person.

Pr 31:3,4
Do not give your vital energy to women, nor your ways to [what leads to] wiping out kings.4 It is not for kings, O Lem′u·el, it is not for kings to drink wine or for high officials [to say:] “Where is intoxicating liquor?” 5 that one may not drink and forget what is decreed and pervert the cause of any of the sons of affliction. 6 Give intoxicating liquor, YOU people, to the one about to perish and wine to those who are bitter of soul. 7 Let one drink and forget one’s poverty, and let one remember one’s own trouble no more.

Does this verse imply that lemuel should not sleep with any woman, because even if you sleep with one woman you would lose part of your energy, no he was talking about womanizing and the dangers, i.e too much women like what destroyed Solomon. In the same vein, she is asking him to watch from taking wine for he would be in danger of drinking so much that he would forget weightier matters and pervert justice, it is only a chronic drunk and alcoholic that would do this. She was warning him not as forbidden drink but as something that should not be over indulged in.
'Give wine to those about to perish'. thats an interesting statement. Its not saying wine leads to destruction, but its saying those who are heartbroken or are already on a destructive behavioral pattern would be aided further when they indulge in wine.and its true, men lose their job, they turn to the bottle to quench their sorrow, but they find out it turns out worse for them.

Luke 1:15 However, the angel said to him: “Have no fear, Zech·a·ri′ah, because your supplication has been favorably heard, and your wife Elizabeth will become mother to a son to you, and you are to call his name John. 14 And you will have joy and great gladness, and many will rejoice over his birth; 15 for he will be great before Jehovah. But he must drink no wine and strong drink at all, and he will be filled with holy spirit right from his mother’s womb; 16 and many of the sons of Israel will he turn back to Jehovah their God.

this was a case of another special birth, John the Baptist. it does not apply to all Israelites.

Eph 5:18 Also, do not be getting drunk with wine, in which there is debauchery, but keep getting filled with spirit.

This is clear enough, do not get drunk, and not 'do not drink'

the same applies to the last two scriptures osazu quoted 1tim 3:3, 8.

Lastly the mosaic law is quite explicit on sins and their punishment, incest, fornication, theft but there is nothing on drinking wine and that is because it was not forbidden but evryone is to exercise caution just like in food and evrything else. Sex is a gift from God, but it has been most abused than alcohol, this does not make it a sin to have sex in tyhe confines of marriage,

Jesus warns us about the pharisees, who teach commands of men as doctrines, they see only themselves as righteous and all others as sinners because they have turn the law into a burden, adding unnecessary restrictions which God did not forbid. Ecclesiates 3:16 says 'Do not become righteous overmuch, nor show yourself excessively wise'

This condenmation of alcohol by modern day pharisees is just over-righteousness. Lets not go beyond the bounds of the scriptures. People now come up with 'God told me', how do you verify that claim. Well if you are very familiar with the Bible just check it against the scriptures andif it contradicts the word of God, then you can throw back in the 'man of God's face'.

@rabzy

We christians in this dispensation are priest and kings (Revelation 1:6 - And hath made us kings and priests unto God and his Father; to him be glory and dominion for ever and ever. Amen)and as such those scriptures quoted by osazu are still very much relevant and within context. Having said that, what do you have to say about these scripture? "I Cor 6:9-10 - Know ye not that the unrighteous shall not inherit the kingdom of God? Be not deceived: neither fornicators, nor idolaters, nor adulterers, nor effeminate, nor abusers of themselves with mankind,Nor thieves, nor covetous, nor drunkards, nor revilers, nor extortioners, shall inherit the kingdom of God."
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by mcfranc(m): 5:43pm On Sep 11, 2009
Drunkards are in the list of that scripture just qouted.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Nobody: 6:13pm On Sep 11, 2009
@mcfranc
How does the casual taking of alcohol make you a drunkard? Are you so daft and brainwashed not to be able to use the tiny brain you have? Jesus used ti drink alcohol, does that make him a drunkard? I am really sick of you morons who are trying to be holier than Jesus himself by words you speak and NOT deeds
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Theblessed(f): 5:47pm On Sep 12, 2009
This fuss about taking alcohol has been going on far too long.  I don't think, taking alcohol in moderation is sinful but if it is, may I ask again, why was the LAST SUPPER PRESENTED or SERVED WITH BREAD AND WINE?  I need a genuine answer with evidence here, please?
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by yommyuk: 1:43am On Sep 13, 2009
It seems people on this thread are missing the point.  The original question is "Is it really Sinful to take Alcohol"

The bible says it is not what goes through a man's mouth that makes him a sinner, It is what comes from the inside(THE HEART)
Sin is conceived in the heart. However Alcohol taken in excess can stimulate the heart, hence giving Sin an easy access to germinate
and grow. Therefore the real issue is CONTROL. Being able to resist the lust of the flesh. If this can be done, in my opinion this means
NO HARM DONE!

I personally dont drink Alcohol. But on the day I give my daughters away in marriage. A small bottle of Wine or Guiness will do no harm cool
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by ttalks(m): 6:21pm On Sep 14, 2009
People are really funny! grin

Anyone who says that the consumption of alcohol is a sin really has to go back and check out a lot of things.
In what way is alcohol consumption a sin?

The bible establishes one fact about alcohol and that is: the abuse is the issue.
The abuse of alcohol leads to drunkeness which is wrong/sinful.

Alcohol is ok when taken responsibly and in moderation.

Apart from other verses in the bible indicating the undeniable fact that alcohol consumption was a normal practice within the Christian world, the following shows that the apostles and their followers did take wine(Fermented juice (of grapes especially)/alcoholic content) during the sharing of the lord's supper which was a regular practice:

1Co 11:20-21
(20) When you meet together, you don't really celebrate the Lord's Supper.
(21) You even start eating before everyone gets to the meeting, and some of you go hungry, while others get drunk.

Reading that chapter where those above verses come from and getting the point Paul was making, you'll notice that some of the unruly christians got drunk on the wine for the supper.Only stuff with alcoholic content gets people drunk when abused.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by dwonder(m): 2:27am On Sep 15, 2009
Best Advice
If a person finds that his body does not handle alcohol well, then the best advice is to avoid it altogether. If he feels that he cannot control it, he should not even take one drink, as often that paves the way for more.

Some persons who take several drinks a day feel that, since they are not getting drunk, it means they have the matter under control. If you suggest to them that this may constitute the beginning of alcoholism, or that they are already mild alcoholics, they usually reject the thought. They may say that a few drinks a day is not alcoholism and that they can stop at any time they want.

If so, there is a simple test that can help the person to see the direction in which he is going. He should see whether, without its causing mental and emotional turmoil, he can stop drinking altogether for a long period of time, at least a month or two. If he cannot, or if he does but finds he just waits for the day when he will resume drinking, it is a definite indication that he is already trapped by the alcohol habit.
However, some, challenged to do without alcohol for a length of time, say that they have no need to make such a test since they are not alcoholics. But this is often an excuse to keep drinking because they cannot face up to the fact that they may be too far gone already toward some degree of alcoholism.

One thing is clear: when a person does not want to, or feels that he cannot go without drinking for a long period of time, it is a solid indication that he is already in trouble with alcohol. He should face the situation honestly and not continue to delude himself. For if he continues, the likelihood is very strong that he will progress toward a more serious form of alcoholism and see his entire life deteriorate.

Considering Others

What can you do to help other people who may have problems with drinking? There are several things you may consider.

For instance, if you are hosting a gathering and offer refreshments, do you present only alcoholic beverages? Why not offer a nonalcoholic beverage too? This would be considerate of those who may take an alcoholic drink because of social pressure but who may really prefer something else. And if you know that someone already has a problem with alcohol, why serve it at all when he is in the group?
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by rabzy: 12:52pm On Sep 15, 2009
@mcfran, i have a strong feeling you did not read my post properly before replying. No part of the Bible is drunkeness, excessive taking of alcohol or dependance on alcohol (being slave to alcohol) condoned and my post does not in any way support drunkeness or alcoholism, so the scriptures you mentioned is fully explained in my post, yes drunkards or unrepentant drunkards would not inherit God's kingdom.
Wine like food is a gift from God, the Bible mentioned that Gluttons will not inherit God's kingdom, does that mean we must not eat. NO what it implies is that we should eat with moderation.
Also in Galatians 5:19-21 'Now the works of the flesh are manifest, and they are fornication, uncleanness, loose conduct, 20 idolatry, practice of spiritism, enmities, strife, jealousy, fits of anger, contentions, divisions, sects, 21 envies, drunken bouts, revelries, and things like these. As to these things I am forewarning YOU, the same way as I did forewarn YOU, that those who practice such things will not inherit God’s kingdom'.

Did you notice 'Drunken bouts' in that verse, that is drinking competition, who can drink the most. These contests encourage indulgence in alcohol and also easily leads to Drunkeness, so drunkenness is the SIN also OVERINDULGENCE.
in that verse, did you also notice 'revelries' i.e wild parties, would you condemn all parties because the Bible condemns 'wild parties', NO.
So the Bible often times let us know that what is lawful could be sin when it is over indulged in.

The Bible says 'whether you are eating or drinking do all things to God's glory'. if you think that 'drinking' is drinking of water or juice, why would it deserve a special mention, why would we be cautioned about taking water.

Pls we cant be more righteous than God, and no need to be sanctimonious to feel pious. If you choose not to drink, thats a personal decision, its not a law all christians must adhere to. It was not in the mosaic law neither was it in the christian principles.

Wine (there is no non-alcoholic wine, thats a misnomer) has always been a staple in israelite social custom, it was seen as blessing from God, that is why prosperity in israel is always linked to having Vineyards, any study of israelite lifestyle would make you know that wine is part of their daily life, they never looked at it with dishonor.

JESUS turned water to WINE, not some juice, if we are not careful some people would come and start translating that into some Juice.

Mind you after passing thru the digestive tract, our food eventually turns into a form of alcohol before being absolve into the system, so eventually we all take alcohol.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by brotherly: 4:21pm On Sep 15, 2009
This is definitely a contentious topic. One has to be careful not to either misinterpret the bible or to give approval to frivolities.

There is nowhere in the bible where alcohol is expressly stated as a sin . We must however understand that the context of sin is “to him that knoweth to do good and doeth it not to him it is sin” and “all unrighteousness is sin”

For those differentiating wine from alcohol, we have to be truthful here. Wine as depicted in the Bible almost always has some form of alcohol. Noah drank wine from the proceeds of his vineyard and messed up. The cases of John the baptist , any Nazarene and the Rechabites in Jeremiah’s time all clearly depict that wine in bible times had some alcohol. It was always a case of “TAKE NEITHER WINE NOR STRONG DRINK”

However we of the new testament (especially in perilous times like ours ) need to understand the scriptures from the level of Holy spirit’s direction

“as many as are led by the spirit the same are the sons of God”

“ But the hour cometh, and now is, when the true worshipers shall worship the Father in spirit and in truth: for the Father seeketh such to worship him. God is a Spirit: and they that worship him must worship him in spirit and in truth”

The Christian race is not one easy walk, it involves godly wisdom, grace and optimum sobriety. I have sensed that while there is no outright condemnation of alcohol , I have always struggled with God’s spirit to take alcohol. Secondly I am most times at my weakest level spiritually and more prone to sin whenever I take alcohol. Hence while I can not say alcohol to me is a sin , it is however a weight that hinders
“Seeing that we are surrounded by so great a cloud of witnesses let us lay aside every weight and the sin which doth easily beset us, and ………………let us run with patience the race that is set before us.”

The bible is replete with great errors that were fueled by alcohol--- Lot and his daughters, Noah, Ahab etc.

Looking at it from the angle of love in helping other peoples faith and not standing as a hinderance to peoples salvation ,there are a lot of unbelievers that will find it difficult to get saved if they find a matured Christian drinking alcohol, there are a lot of young Christians that have backslid because they heard that they are free to take alcohol without getting drunk but have tried and lost their Christian faith completely.
The overriding factor for everyone therefore should be what paul said
Rom 14:15 If you are hurting others by the foods you eat, you are not guided by love. Don't let your appetite destroy someone Christ died for.
Rom 14:16 Don't let your right to eat bring shame to Christ.
Rom 14:17 God's kingdom isn't about eating and drinking. It is about pleasing God, about living in peace, and about true happiness. All this comes from the Holy Spirit.

AS MUCH AS IT IS WITHIN YOUR POWER, STAY AWAY FROM ALCOHOL

peace
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 4:35pm On Sep 15, 2009
@Brotherly
But Jesus christ never stayed away from alcohol, are you suggesting we should be holier than him?

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? / How Do You Personally Hear From God? / Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 155
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.