Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,627 members, 7,820,215 topics. Date: Tuesday, 07 May 2024 at 11:34 AM

Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? - Religion (8) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? (9383 Views)

Poll: True or false: is drinking alcohol a sin?

True: 22% (21 votes)
False: 77% (73 votes)
This poll has ended

Is It Sinful To Deny Christ Under Threat Of Death? / Is Kissing And Hugging Sinful In Christian Courtship? / Is It Sinful To Wear Trousers As A Christian Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 2:02pm On Oct 11, 2009
Image123:

The OT says kings should not drink wine,it also says priests should not drink wine. It says wine should not be brought into the temple for drinking. How does that apply to us as NT believers. We're today's priests and kings,so says the Bible. It is not for kings to drink wine, leave it for the people who are ready to perish. We are the temple of God,wine shouldn't come into that temple for recreation purposes. (N.B the above wines refer to fermented wine not non.alcoholic wine)
Proverbs 14v15 says the simple/foolish believe everything,but the prudent looks well to his going. Proverbs 22v3 says the prudent man foresees the evil(AT LAST) and hides himself. The simple continues and are punished.

Is this the new twist to the issue your pastor taught you in church today i laugh in spiritual tongues grin did you remember to ask him why Jesus was accused of getting drunk from drinking grape juice? grin
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by rabzy: 12:53am On Oct 13, 2009
Image123:

And you did praise the corinthians. For heaven's sake,you said the corinthians were CLEAR EXAMPLES.(What is praise? To admire,complement).

Well, i have shared my thoughts on this topic and anyone who read thru my posts would know i was not encouraging drunkeness in anyway. From the onset we have repeatedly said that drunkenness, alcoholism, tarrying a long time with wine are sins the Bible condemned. the issue we have been flogging is and which is the question raised is that whther taking alcohol in whatever form is a sin. I still say NO.

Image123, this is my post about the corinthians below:

1 Corinthians 11:20-22 (English Standard Version)
20When you come together, it is not the Lord’s supper that you eat. 21For in eating, each one goes ahead with his own meal. One goes hungry,(A) another gets drunk. 22What! Do you not have houses to eat and drink in? Or do you despise(B) the church of God and(C) humiliate those who have nothing? What shall I say to you? Shall I commend you in this? No, I will not.

why did paul say this if people were not getting drink at the passover, he said they have houses were they can indulge in eating and drinking if they want, why defile the house of God. This is clear example that the wine used for passover can intoxicate, paul did not condemn the wine or the type of wine but the attitude, the action the gluttony and drunkeness.

Image123, how you can read the above post and conclude that i am praising, encouraging, complementing the corinthians is still very strange to me, maybe you can just give it to someone else to read and ask for an opinion. It was not an example of Good behavior, rmember i quoted the scripture in full to where paul condemned them, i only said it was a clear example of that the wine used by the christians (be it erroneously or not) was not an intoxicating wine, how on earth does that show that am praising them, i was only talking about the nature of the wine used.

Yes, millions of people drink everyday and they dont get drunk evrytime to take alcohol, and many never do get drunk, some take it they dont like the taste and they stop, others take it rarely only on occasions and moderately. These are facts, just ask anybody.That Noah took it and got drunk or that Lots daughters got him drunk does not mean nobody else cant, or were the only Good people that took wine in the Bible.
And the 15 yrs i mentioned was in reference to me and not to billions of people (those are the subtle ways you twist my words, what is ur motive of doing this? show me an example of where i did same to you, you were 'suppose' to be the good christian here sebi).

This twisting of what i write and blatantly imputing wrong motives into my posts is what makes me say you are being mischievious, and that was in reaction to a post that from you that was insulting and which i said was uncalled for, before the post from you, i never used such terms.

And saying that i called you a pharisee,mischievous,condemner,sarcastic,demonizer is wrong. If i say let us not demonize those who drinks moderately, or i say your post was sarcastic or being mischievous (which you started first), that does not mean i label you that. I was only referring to how you sounded like in the post, i did not say it was your way of life or that it defines your personality.

while we are strictly talking about the issue, you are always asking why do we want to stumble weak people, and saying we are using negative scriptures, we are accusing Jesus, and also claiming Jesus for urself as if we are not a part of him. Read ur posts and see how you have been sounding, as if i was a tax collector that needed deliverance. All you need to do is quote scriptures, references, make expanations etc, not inferring badness in others.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by ttalks(m): 8:10am On Oct 13, 2009
rabzy,

Do not bother urself with image123. he is clearly being mischevious in the way he twists the meanings of things u say.
That is common among people who want and feel that their belief about something ;no matter how impossible or irrational, must always be.

The honest truth which Image123 has not yet admitted is that the bible never condemned the taking of alcoholic drinks as has been shown repeatedly with scripture. All the bible shows or declares is that irresponsible use or abuse or excess intake of alcoholic drinks is not encouraged and is regarded as sinful.

no matter how one feels about this issue, that is the honest truth. There is no where in the bible that alcohol intake was condemned.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 8:34am On Oct 13, 2009
@Image123
Colossians 2:16:

16 So don’t let anyone condemn you for what you eat or drink, or for not celebrating certain holy days or new moon ceremonies or Sabbaths.

Colossians 2:21-22:
21 “Don’t handle! Don’t taste! Don’t touch!”? 22 Such rules are mere human teachings about things that deteriorate as we use them.

So please stop disturbing us with your man made rules angry
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by OLAADEGBU(m): 10:31am On Oct 13, 2009
A new convert confessed of his hesitancy in taking wine.  He said, "The wine goes straight to me head."

He then became nervous about taking the Holy Communion because even a sip of wine would make him see double.

At the end of the service, he was heard telling the pastor that his fears had been unfounded.

The pastor enquired what had happened, the new convert replied, "This time it went straight to my heart."  cry
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by rabzy: 3:08pm On Oct 16, 2009
Ttalks,

Thanks is good to know there are others following this discussion with an open mind.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 3:34pm On Oct 16, 2009
OLAADEGBU:

A new convert confessed of his hesitancy in taking wine. He said, "The wine goes straight to me head."

He then became nervous about taking the Holy Communion because even a sip of wine would make him see double.

At the end of the service, he was heard telling the pastor that his fears had been unfounded.

The pastor enquired what had happened, the new convert replied, "This time it went straight to my heart." cry

Tales by moon light!!! grin
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Nobody: 1:29am On Nov 11, 2010
Anything that is not chemically altered is ok in moderation, by that I mean everything BUT cocain, heroin, meth; etc. Some alcohol is better than others in terms of its affect on the human body. Any type of overuse, abuse or binging is a sin. Eating too much is a sin. Sexing too much is a sin. Lying too much is a sin; etc. Anything that is addicting to a person is to be avoided if they cannot control themselves as it means they are not focused on the Creator if they choose not to. I honestly believe one can serve God and drink alcohol so long as they know their limits. If at anytime you feel drinking beer will "heal you" from feeling bad rather than prayer then that is when the issue begins. Again it's like sex, if having sex makes you feel "loved" then you are missing something much more important. It is just like weed. My beef with a weedie is if they do it FOR the high. There are weed smokers who use it to meditate, and to me that is not a problem. But to each his own and so opinions are no exception. God gave us all a brain and therefore our own rights to decide which paths we want to take.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by LagosShia: 3:53pm On Sep 30, 2011
Alcohol:

Proverbs 23:31-32
Do not gaze at wine when it is red,when it sparkles in the cup,when it goes down smoothly!32 In the end it bites like a snake and poisons like a viper.

Luke 1:15
15 For he will be great in the sight of the Lord; and he will drink no wine or liquor, and he will be filled with the Holy Spirit [a]while yet in his mother’s womb.

Leviticus 10:8-10
Then the LORD said to Aaron, “You and your sons are not to drink wine or other fermented drink whenever you go into the tent of meeting, or you will die. This is a lasting ordinance for the generations to come, so that you can distinguish between the holy and the common, between the unclean and the clean, 11 and so you can teach the Israelites all the decrees the LORD has given them through Moses.”

Judges 13:4
Now see to it that you drink no wine or other fermented drink and that you do not eat anything unclean

Proverbs 20:1
Wine is a mocker and beer a brawler; whoever is led astray by them is not wise.

Deuteronomy 29:6
You ate no bread and drank no wine or other fermented drink. I did this so that you might know that I am the LORD your God.”

Isaiah 5:11
Woe to those who rise early in the morning to run after their drinks, who stay up late at night till they are inflamed with wine.

Isaiah 5:22
Woe to those who are heroes at drinking wine and champions at mixing drinks,

Romans 14:21
It is good neither to eat flesh, nor to drink wine, nor any thing whereby thy brother stumbleth, or is offended, or is made weak.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Nobody: 7:34pm On Sep 30, 2011
Op, no, a child of God, holy spirit filled should not be found without an it, let alone drinking it, if not for anything, we are the light and salt of the earth, so we must live our lives with caution cos people are watching us.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Image123(m): 9:24pm On Sep 30, 2011
reminiscence
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by OLAADEGBU(m): 2:24pm On Oct 01, 2011
"Wine is a mocker, strong drink is raging: and whosoever is deceived thereby is not wise" (Proverbs 20:1).

When a person is in-toxic-ated, he is 'poisoned'.  Anyone who gives themselves to bacchus becomes a servant to its addictive properties.  Alcohol eventually mocks and brings reproach to them as it takes over their will.  They can fight for their right to continue to drink because it has its hold on them.  Millions who are deceived by it are not wise.

(1) (2) (3) ... (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? / How Do You Personally Hear From God? / Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.