Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,832 members, 7,820,915 topics. Date: Wednesday, 08 May 2024 at 02:31 AM

Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? (9388 Views)

Poll: True or false: is drinking alcohol a sin?

True: 22% (21 votes)
False: 77% (73 votes)
This poll has ended

Is It Sinful To Deny Christ Under Threat Of Death? / Is Kissing And Hugging Sinful In Christian Courtship? / Is It Sinful To Wear Trousers As A Christian Lady? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by olabowale(m): 1:28pm On Sep 07, 2009
Abuzola am sure is happy that he is called a keferi because he refuses to worship human, three gods, eat pork, etc and reject Muhammad (AS), and deny other prophets of old, etc. Heck, am keferi like Abuzola, too.

But muslims say that the Christians are keferi because they take 3 gods, one of them a man from a mother, sing and dance and clap hands and call it worship, etc.

Keferi, from Kufr, kafir, kafara: Purely an arabic word present in the Quran to describe the disbelievers and their disbeliefs!

When I told a friend that he is actually a keferi to me and Islam, and I to him in by his christian religion was shocked. The expression on his face was priceless. Its almost like when a person who thinks he is a heir was finally told that he his a slave. Christians, expect that from the Creator in the Day of Judgement, your son/heir position is only a bubble, ripe to be busted to nothingness, a group of disobedient slaves.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by obailala(m): 1:36pm On Sep 07, 2009
Drinking wine does not make one a sinner if he/she drinks moderately. After all, the Holy communion wine used in the Anglican and some other churches is alcoholic. The only problem is, How many people can actually drink moderately? This is the reason why it is generally outlawed for true Christians to drink. It is better avoided than fought

Also, I know there's somewhere in the bible that says we should avoid any action that could cause our neighbor to sin. U might be able to control urself, but what about the next man watching u?
"ohh. . . if Mr Righteous can drink UDEME, who am i not to drink it?" If this man falls, u are responsible for misleading him.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by sleekymag(m): 1:36pm On Sep 07, 2009
(KJV) Prov31:4-7 talks about wine and strong drink as King Lemuel's mother taught him (or brought him up with).

(v 4) It is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink

(v 5) Lest they drink and forget the law, and pervert the judgment of any of the afflicted.

(v 6) Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts.

(v 7) Let him drink and forget his poverty, and remember his misery no more.

When you look at yourself as a king, one in whom lies a great destiny, you'll see that taking these alcoholic substance is not really necessary! Not that it is a sin in itself; but for the sake of maintaining a level-headness, and as a leader in the making, you shouldn't be given to it.

1 Tim 3:3 says Bishops shouldn't be given to wine, (Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre, but patient, not a brawler, not covetoussmiley

On the other hand, 1 Tim 3:8 says Deacons shouldn't be given to much wine, (Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucrewink

This distinction by Paul concerning Bishops and Deacons show that Christians taking wine (not strong drink) is probably not a sin, if taken moderately and with wisdom. However, for leaders who people would look up to (e.g. Pastors, Bishops, etc.), it would be out of place to even find wine in such person's mouth.

Personally i do take alcohol like one who doesn't even take it; as in like once in a big while (averagely 1 bottle of beer in 2 months or so), but its not really my thing, therefore i go with the moderation stuff.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by agathamari(f): 1:48pm On Sep 07, 2009
hello, blesse sacriment anyone? take this bread for it is my body, take this wine for it is my blood.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Redman44(m): 3:04pm On Sep 07, 2009
Well, I don't really see anything wrong in taking alcohol. I can count the number of times I have taken alcohol on my fingertips. This does not however lead to me castigating others who drink regularly. The beer taken in Europe and the United States is light in alcoholic content, compared to the head spinning beer that is produced in Nigeria. What I don't like is excessive drinking which can lead to bad behaviour. Yeah, Alcohol can lead to death, but we shall all die of one thing or the other anyway. If you want to drink, drink responsibly. Cheers.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by osazu: 3:09pm On Sep 07, 2009
[b]Le 10:9 Do not drink wine nor strong drink, thou, nor thy sons with thee, when ye go into the tabernacle of the congregation, lest ye die: it shall be a statute for ever throughout your generations:

Nu 6:3 He shall separate himself from wine and strong drink, and shall drink no vinegar of wine, or vinegar of strong drink, neither shall he drink any liquor of grapes, nor eat moist grapes, or dried.
Jg 13:4 Now therefore beware, I pray thee, and drink not wine nor strong drink, and eat not any unclean thing:
Jg 13:14 She may not eat of any thing that cometh of the vine, neither let her drink wine or strong drink, nor eat any unclean thing: all that I commanded her let her observe.
Pr 23:31 Look not thou upon the wine when it is red, when it giveth his colour in the cup, when it moveth itself aright.
Pr 31:4 It is not for kings, O Lemuel, it is not for kings to drink wine; nor for princes strong drink:
Pr 31:6 Give strong drink unto him that is ready to perish, and wine unto those that be of heavy hearts. {of, : Heb. bitter of soul}
Lu 1:15 For he shall be great in the sight of the Lord, and shall drink neither wine nor strong drink; and he shall be filled with the Holy Ghost, even from his mother's womb.
Eph 5:18 And be not drunk with wine, wherein is excess; but be filled with the Spirit;
1Ti 3:3 Not given to wine, no striker, not greedy of filthy lucre; but patient, not a brawler, not covetous; {given, : or, ready to quarrel, and offer wrong, as one in wine}
1Ti 3:8 ¶ Likewise must the deacons be grave, not doubletongued, not given to much wine, not greedy of filthy lucre;[/b]

From all the scriptures above it is clear that God constantly forbide his children, especially those that were meant for special service, to drink wine.
Reading through the old testament you found that there is distinction between ordinary wine and alcoholic wine which is forbidden to God's People.

Please as for you the poster preach the full gospel to the new convert.A true christian has no dealing with unrighteousness.Drinking and selling of strong wine is wickedness in the sight of God.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Nobody: 3:48pm On Sep 07, 2009
@egaxton
Of all people to quote from, the professional bible twister and very shallow person in the mould of Mr chris oyakhilome. Are you saying the final authurity Jesus himself was sinning on the several occassions the bible recorded he took wine? Phew what a bunch of daft hypocrites.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by rasputinn(m): 3:55pm On Sep 07, 2009
NO,it's not.Just don't be led astray by it lest you be unwise.
On the one hand,in any case there're some alcoholic beverages that have some health benefits,so taking them once in a while is okay,but if you cannot stay without them,that is when it's sinful

On the other hand,there're other alcoholic beverages that have no proven health benefits,rather they do damage to internal organs of the consumers apart from beclouding their sense of judgement,so I wouldn't subscribe to touching this class of alcoholic drinks,not even with a long pole
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Ben13: 5:05pm On Sep 07, 2009
A man filled with the spirit of God would know that Alcohol like furnication makes him canal cos these things are of the flesh. It doesn't add to one's spiritual life instead it makes one canal.

Acohol is not good both Godly (even little is not good) and naturally (little is ok). . . The bible says, give strong wine to those who are ready to perish.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by oge4real(f): 5:18pm On Sep 07, 2009
Taking alcohol is no sin, but getting drunk is.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by PAININASS: 5:26pm On Sep 07, 2009
oge4real:

Taking alcohol is no sin, but getting drunk is.
Simple answer, 100/100 cool
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by zmurda(m): 5:35pm On Sep 07, 2009
mystikal:

These are by no means my thougts, just quoting John Milton. i find it a bit comical, yet quite deep.

"Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord!"

lovely, Devils's advocate is just class!
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by rickie4us(m): 5:49pm On Sep 07, 2009
mystikal:

These are by no means my thougts, just quoting John Milton. i find it a bit comical, yet quite deep.

"Let me give you a little inside information about God. God likes to watch. He's a prankster. Think about it. He gives man instincts. He gives you this extraordinary gift, and then what does He do, I swear for His own amusement, his own private, cosmic gag reel, He sets the rules in opposition. It's the goof of all time. Look but don't touch. Touch, but don't taste. Taste, don't swallow. Ahaha. And while you're jumpin' from one foot to the next, what is he doing? He's laughin' His sick, fuckin' ass off! He's a tight-ass! He's a SADIST! He's an absentee landlord!"

what kind of comment if this?
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Roughlen(m): 6:32pm On Sep 07, 2009
Jesus said it is not what goes into a man that defiles him but what comes out of him. In essence, it is not the taking of the alcohol that is a sin but what you do after taking it.

I drink beer, go home and eat dinner, make love to my wife and go to sleep. I've never felt like a sinner cos as far as i'm concerned i've committed no sin.

Those of you that are saying it is difficult to drink in moderation hence the need to abstain completely should as well stop all forms of interaction with the opposite sex cos of the fear of committing fornication.

Drink if you want to but drink responsibly. cool
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Abuzola(m): 6:51pm On Sep 07, 2009
Jesus drank alcohol in his last supper. Wine/alcohol. His first miracle is to turn water into wine. What a disgusting palava.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by oneluvb55(f): 7:43pm On Sep 07, 2009
drink but dont drink too much
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by luc26(f): 8:28pm On Sep 07, 2009
d bible neva condemned alcohol intake expect wen its taken in excess.y d confused arns by dose who claim 2 be born again christains?plz go read ur bible over and over again b4 putting down a comment on dis issue.i ll lyk 2 knw if d water jesus turned into wine @ canaan was alcoholic or not.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by zmurda(m): 9:01pm On Sep 07, 2009
Abuzola:

Jesus drank alcohol in his last supper. Wine/alcohol. His first miracle is to turn water into wine. What a disgusting palava.

What's disgusting in alcohol?

I think it ranks amongst the best discoveries of mankind, alongside the wheels!
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Oba234: 10:00pm On Sep 07, 2009
I agree with people here that have said that the bible never implies that drinking Alcohol is a sin. Everything in the bible is about moderation. Anything can be a sin. Food can become a sin. Eating too much caused a problem. Wearing extravangant clothes can be a sin. Anything that takes the place of God in your heart is a sin. I am sure drinking a glass of red wine or regular wine is no big deal. You wouldn't even feel it, but anything beyond a glass or two is excess.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by 3kay945(m): 11:04pm On Sep 07, 2009
what concern GOD if u take little alcohol or much,.he as made hmself cleared! the day he said 'let there be light', so, whatever u sow wit ur free will, so shall u reap. grin
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Theblessed(f): 12:48am On Sep 08, 2009
[b]No, there is nothing wrong in drinking alcohol in itself rather over doing it.  Drinking in moderation is what matters, not over-doing it to the point where it becomes a habit and you could not control yourself anymore.  Where excessive alcohol consumption leads you into crime, battering your wife/girlfriend, falling into gutters and stealing and many other evils - Naaaaaaaaaaaa, that's not right is it  Besides, the Bible did not say one  should not drink else why did Jesus Christ miraculously made water into wine at a wedding in Canaan when the Groom ran out of wine for his guests?  Why and who drank those wines?  Were they not the guests??

The problem is not drinking alcohol rather self restraint/control - knowing your limits and when to say enough and stick with it. That's how intelligent people do it, ok!  So, becareful when you drink!
And for spiritual people i.e. the Holy men/women of God, alcohol is a no, no because of the nature of their CALL.  The Holy Spirit will not manifest in such situations - God will not talk to them regarding important and serious things under the influence of alcohol and no one would, would you??  For one, instructions won't make any sense to someone under the influence so, why bother?
[/b]
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by cesc4(m): 1:53am On Sep 08, 2009
according to the dictionary wine is anytin dat has alcohol and the bible neva said we should not take alcohol.though takin too much may be bad because we all knw that too much of everytin is not good including money and since the sayin goes thus that money is the root of all evil we as xtians cant say we wont send money because it is the root of all evil so as alcohol we av no right to say takin alcohol is a sin.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Nobody: 5:14am On Sep 08, 2009
Are you serious at all?

What a daft question.

So during the Last Supper when Jesus was busy eating bread and DRINKING WINE what did you think was happening? Magic?
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Nobody: 5:20am On Sep 08, 2009
sugabelly:

Are you serious at all?

What a daft question.

So during the Last Supper when Jesus was busy eating bread and DRINKING WINE what did you think was happening? Magic?

who told you that wine was alchoholic? the excuses we come up with to sin is amazing and i'm not even excluding myself.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Nobody: 7:29am On Sep 08, 2009
@david
Did anyone tell you the wine was non alcoholic? Gosh! The way people manipulate scripture to assert their delusions. David I actually thought you were one of the enlightened few on nairaland, I am not so sure anymore now.
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by mbulela: 7:57am On Sep 08, 2009
David, i often find your posts enlightening but not on this occasion.
all forms of non alcoholic wine are abnormalities.
a product created in recent times to meet a market need.
there is no way any one can argue for alcohol being a sin.
the issue is drunkenness and excess intake.
the problem is how many people are willing and able to stop at one or two bottles?
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Abuzola(m): 8:30am On Sep 08, 2009
Folds hands staring
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by stunatic(m): 10:01am On Sep 08, 2009
How mexicans smuggle drugs into yankee on this blog http://naijaverse..com/
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by utotomixxx(m): 12:13pm On Sep 08, 2009
as long as you dont overdo it or get drunk
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by Sanni2: 12:35pm On Sep 08, 2009
The words by John Milton are to say the least Obscene and Irreverent, I Dont think u should be posting it if it does not represent ur views,

The Bible in no place expressly says that we should not take alcohol, But it says we should not get DRUNK, If we must drink we should do it in moderation.

But we should be able to let some things go if it does not foster the gospel,

Paul says that "All things are lawful unto me, but not all things are beneficial, & I wont be put under the power of any thing"

If it hinders our effectiveness as witnesses of Christ then we should let it go,

Some other people might follow our stance on drinking only in moderation and in the process destroy their own life,

Let not ur good be evil spoken of,
Re: Is It Really Sinful To Take Alcohol? by KunleOshob(m): 12:44pm On Sep 08, 2009
This was also written by apostle Paul.

1 Timothy 5:23:

23Drink no longer water, but use a little wine for thy stomach's sake and thine often infirmities.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (Reply)

When Last Did Your Pastor Preach About Eternity? / Obedience Is Better Than Sacrifice / How I Embraced Christ

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.