Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,253 members, 7,815,379 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 11:27 AM

 7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos - Travel (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel /  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos (85859 Views)

I Drank My Own Pee To Survive - Abandoned Woman Survived 10 Days In Desert / Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) / #lagoslessons - Nigerians Give Important Tips On How To Survive Living In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by ladyF(f): 9:07pm On Jun 30, 2016
Ode!

When someone is not behaving right, just use this word. Don't ask me how I know grin

3 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Yinkatolu: 9:07pm On Jun 30, 2016
wa n bi

2 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Adekorya: 9:07pm On Jun 30, 2016
K
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by yomz1e(m): 9:07pm On Jun 30, 2016
you way off track! to survive you need words like ... IYA eeee! with five fingers gesture

2 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by elopee3000(m): 9:07pm On Jun 30, 2016
i hate busstop touts that allways shout owo mi da like they gave u money to keep for them angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry angry

2 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by jhasper(m): 9:08pm On Jun 30, 2016
se oya rere ni . . if conductor no give u change
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Lincoln275(m): 9:09pm On Jun 30, 2016
Hmmmmmm! Dey said dey don't need dz and dey r here in Lagos. No wahala, ojo mbo loluwa wi

4 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by heryurh(m): 9:09pm On Jun 30, 2016
You'd see a useful word after the guy below me
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by kanbilism: 9:10pm On Jun 30, 2016
Check Oxford dictionary,you will see that Yoruba is the real speaking language in Nigeria.we leads others follow.

3 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by heryurh(m): 9:10pm On Jun 30, 2016
Wèrè

It means "madman" incase you want to insult a conductor for refusing to give you change undecided
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by theEYe21(f): 9:12pm On Jun 30, 2016
Ele o
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by bqlekan(m): 9:13pm On Jun 30, 2016
Pls, which language is 'e fun mi fisi?' sounds alien to me
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by mrtayesynchro(m): 9:14pm On Jun 30, 2016
badassProdigy:
3. E fun mi fisi
You know how you walk into a local buka and you’re not satisfied with the amount of food they’ve given you? “E fun mi fisi” is the magic word. Say it and keep a smile and small portions will be added to your plate.

Thou shall not live by bread alone but by every word that cometh out from thy mouth.

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by smallJagaban: 9:14pm On Jun 30, 2016
and some flatty claimed that Lagos is no man's land..

any artiste that did not sing with yoruba language(at least 80-90%) will not hit the lime light..

8 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Nickymezor(f): 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2016
Nice! .... O dabo OP smiley
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Nobody: 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2016
Histrings08:
Yoruba language!!! The language that God will use on judgement day... Learn it now before tz too late

That language would be spoken where there would be too much heat with the smell of sulphur. The landlord there love incantations and Yoruba language sound like one.

Exotic language like Igbo is the language of heaven.

Angel Gabriel and Saint Peter would be like..."nwanna irutego?, kee ka imelu? Ngwa bata, Eze enigwe edozigolu gi ebe iga ebi"... I would shake his hand and grab my keys..

At the other side with lots of smoke and fumes, the landlord and his area boys would be swearing and cursing at you for not prostrating on the hot char coals.

2 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by theEYe21(f): 9:15pm On Jun 30, 2016
Iranu abasha grin
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Nobody: 9:17pm On Jun 30, 2016
smallJagaban:
and some flatty claimed that Lagos is no man's land..

any artiste that did not sing with yoruba language(at least 80-90%) will not hit the lime light..

Try that stuff at Alaba or idumota ka guys rie gi gwo gwo.

3 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Taeewo(m): 9:17pm On Jun 30, 2016
U mean we r met for cleaner post
badassProdigy:
1. E kàárọ̀/E kaasán
E kàárọ̀ is the Yoruba word for ‘Good Morning’ while E kaasán is for ‘Good afternoon’. Throw that in when you’re at the office with the cleaner instead of the regular ‘Good Morning’
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by saintdennis(m): 9:18pm On Jun 30, 2016
EMMYLBANKS:
mtcheew...no need am nt planning to visit any yoruba state again till biafra gain independence from buhari our colonial master

So once u get the biafra n the passport abeg go Ghana, cameroun etc o

Cos if we catch u trying to open shop here!!!

Well lets just say ohaneze will graduate from shouting tribalism to shouting xenophobia from across the Niger

6 Likes 1 Share

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Umarlulu: 9:19pm On Jun 30, 2016
Chaii yoruba language no be easy oo
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Ododoeye0020(m): 9:19pm On Jun 30, 2016
EMMYLBANKS:
mtcheew...no need am nt planning to visit any yoruba state again till biafra gain independence from buhari our colonial master

Mtchew Biafra
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Nobody: 9:20pm On Jun 30, 2016
gbosaa:

Try that stuff at Alaba or idumota ka guys rie gi gwo gwo.

No leave am
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by muller101(m): 9:20pm On Jun 30, 2016
Histrings08:
Yoruba language!!! The language that God will use on judgement day... Learn it now before tz too late
start posting all ur comments in yoruba.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by iamDiabolic(m): 9:21pm On Jun 30, 2016
Am waiting for the owner of lagos nd the ones who brough allhe sand in llagos nd fetch all the water in lagos from wherever they fetch it nd brought all the sand to start mentioning there language u have to know to survive lasgidi

Before una bite me I no mention name oh or tribe nd I no describe with head shape oh

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by saintdennis(m): 9:21pm On Jun 30, 2016
The way igbos dey speak yoruba ehn!

If they ever have a country yoruba would be their 2nd official language.

16 Likes 1 Share

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Grundig: 9:22pm On Jun 30, 2016
Gotta learn a few yoruba curse words.

It is of utmost importance. These curse words/phrases are prolly all you need to get a stamp of approval when dealing with a cross section of lagosians. Drivers/conductors, road side mechanic, lastma officials, some police officers to name but a few understand these words/phrases and they know not to to take umbrage whenever they are said. They are;

Oloshi
Oloriburuku
Ko ni da fu e
Aye e
Iya e

3 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Fedponek(m): 9:23pm On Jun 30, 2016
Thanks so much for the info
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by semitunde: 9:23pm On Jun 30, 2016
iaamxavier:
who Yoruba word epp na? I Dont use any buhh I survive in Lagos! infact I'm doing well! than the owners seff for fvck this words jaee' its for the mgbati mgbati people so let them use it

You've used one even in this your post. Surviving without it eh?

11 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by yoged(m): 9:26pm On Jun 30, 2016
EMMYLBANKS:
we no even want you Mr okoro werey. O digba o doju ala. O darinnako

10 Likes 1 Share

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by smallJagaban: 9:31pm On Jun 30, 2016
gbosaa:

That language would be spoken where there would be too much heat with the smell of sulphur. The landlord there love incantations and Yoruba language sound like one.

Exotic language like Igbo is the language of heaven.

Angel Gabriel and Saint Peter would be like..."nwanna irutego?, kee ka imelu? Ngwa bata, Eze enigwe edozigolu gi ebe iga ebi"... I would shake his hand and grab my keys..

At the other side with lots of smoke and fumes, the landlord and his area boys would be swearing and cursing at you for not prostrating on the hot char coals.

FORGET , IGBO LANGUAGE IS GOING INTO EXTINCTION.. YORUBA LANGUAGE IS THE MOST SPOKEN AND EASIEST LANGUAGE IN NIGERIA

GO ASK YOUR IGBO ARTISTES

5 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Four Nigerian Women Who Own Private Jets You Should Know / World's Largest Plane With A Wingspan Longer Than A FOOTBALL FIELD(Pic) / Toll Gates In Dubai: See What Can Be Achieved With Technology (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.