Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,324 members, 7,815,631 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 03:38 PM

 7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos - Travel (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel /  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos (85863 Views)

I Drank My Own Pee To Survive - Abandoned Woman Survived 10 Days In Desert / Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) / #lagoslessons - Nigerians Give Important Tips On How To Survive Living In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Alipanks(m): 6:42am On Jul 01, 2016
How about the pronunciation cry
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by yoged(m): 7:00am On Jul 01, 2016
sade1994:

grin grin she o ti ku ni?
grin don't mind me jare

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Perfectionist11: 7:02am On Jul 01, 2016
CACAWA:
More importantly.

[size=18pt]

Wè rè- you must be mentally challenged

Íyà e - your mom, as in, like seriously, your mom..okay? Ooorgh

Dúró náà, Àbí ayé e fé bà jé? - just a minute pls, is your endeavour interested in a nose dive or what?

Kósì ló jòó. - please get out of here and take your stupidity along with you...durrh

[/size]

Kosi lo joo-please gerara here and take ur broke ass ..
along with ya..

Osi ain't stupidity..itz being broke..

Na person whey get ridiculously low IQ dem they call stupid..I think.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by hotwax: 7:13am On Jul 01, 2016
semitunde:

You've used one even in this your post. Surviving without it eh?

Then stay in your village...simple
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by bqlekan(m): 8:35am On Jul 01, 2016
NovusHomo:

It is Yoruba for "Give me more", or "Add more for me"

'E ba mi fisi' or 'e fun mi ni fisi' is the correct Yoruba, no that one up there... cheesy
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by teebell999(m): 9:00am On Jul 01, 2016
ma goohh.. as in no dulling
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by yomz1e(m): 9:28am On Jul 01, 2016
to elevate it, add this to it.... o ba iya iya e
Whatever insult you can imagine goes to your mother mother dat is... your grandma'

my old man use to say it a lot...but he never meant it grin grin grin grin grin grin RIP dad..much lov

NovusHomo:

"Yo ba iya e"
"Whatever insult you can imagine goes to your mother'.

Please, please, please, don't ever say that to a Yoruba person you are really not very,very,very familiar with.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by bless2tom(m): 10:12am On Jul 01, 2016
o dabo (bye)
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by antispexish(m): 11:19am On Jul 01, 2016
gbosaa:

That language would be spoken where there would be too much heat with the smell of sulphur. The landlord there love incantations and Yoruba language sound like one.

Exotic language like Igbo is the language of heaven.

Angel Gabriel and Saint Peter would be like..."nwanna irutego?, kee ka imelu? Ngwa bata, Eze enigwe edozigolu gi ebe iga ebi"... I would shake his hand and grab my keys..

At the other side with lots of smoke and fumes, the landlord and his area boys would be swearing and cursing at you for not prostrating on the hot char coals.

continu!, or ma to tee!

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by antispexish(m): 11:29am On Jul 01, 2016
histemple:

So Bèè kò is no longer "not like that" ?
I was thinking that "Oti o" is NO.
it's even more confusing when you add "rara"
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by jesuspikinjp(m): 12:13pm On Jul 01, 2016
jhasper:
se oya rere ni
if conductor no give u change

which one be rere again ? do u mean se oya were ni ?
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by jesuspikinjp(m): 12:25pm On Jul 01, 2016
notoriousbabe:
How about if person wan fok?how person go talk am?

mo fe do e
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by notoriousbabe: 12:28pm On Jul 01, 2016
jesuspikinjp:

mo fe do e
how do you say remove your pant,lie down on the mat and spread your legs?
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by jesuspikinjp(m): 12:35pm On Jul 01, 2016
notoriousbabe:
how do you say remove your pant,lie down on the mat and spread your legs?

do you wear pant ? just pull your skirt up he is ready to go
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by notoriousbabe: 1:09pm On Jul 01, 2016
jesuspikinjp:

do you wear pant ? just pull your skirt up he is ready to go
abeg help me answer the question
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 2:20pm On Jul 01, 2016
Iefosa:
Op you nor add '' Ewa go in''... Hunger don finish you for Lagos be that na

Ewa agonyin (Egun beans)
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 2:39pm On Jul 01, 2016
diva90:

Wat is o wa in English? Does it mean stop?

"There is"
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 2:40pm On Jul 01, 2016
diva90:

This is the same in other languages too. You have one word that is spelt same but have different meanings however though spelling is same, the pronunciation and intonation differs

Eg. In Igbo language
Ákwá - cloth
Ákwà - cry
Ákwa - egg

Thanks for that bit of information. I speak only Yoruba, English, French, and poco Spanish. I wish I could learn Igbo and Hausa languages too.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by histemple: 3:08pm On Jul 01, 2016
antispexish:

it's even more confusing when you add "rara"

"Rara" is just to emphasize your disagreement in stronger terms.
For example; Bèè kò = Not so.
Bèè kò rara = Not so at all.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Nobody: 5:23pm On Jul 01, 2016
NovusHomo:

Ewa agonyin (Egun beans)

Danke schön... wink
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by ladyF(f): 5:31pm On Jul 01, 2016
NovusHomo:

"Ode"!...
Now, you won't like this..........

"slowpoke"

But you be olodo sha, dem say yoruba words, u no sabi read ni... Weyrey too is another example grin
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 9:28pm On Jul 01, 2016
ladyF:

But you be olodo sha, dem say yoruba words, u no sabi read ni... Weyrey too is another example grin

Mo fi e le Olorun l'owo. Wa'ko tie n'iwaju. grin
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by tayo200(m): 11:03pm On Jul 01, 2016
warriz dis
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Jexbabs: 11:21am On Jul 06, 2016
NovusHomo:

You must be quite gifted, or you just learn the basics. Most people find it so difficult to learn. Consider the following:

Oko-Husband
Oko: farmland/village
Oko: stone
Oko: Di*k
O koo: He/She meets/met him/her
Okoo: Twenty.

Now, you know what I mean.

lol.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by csbrown(m): 2:46pm On Apr 25, 2022
��
God bless you nwanne
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by csbrown(m): 2:51pm On Apr 25, 2022
ajepako:
Add:

o ya were ni?

won sepe fun e ni?

lyalaya e..

ori e buru..

omo ale jatijati

oloshi...

ati be be lo...

Proudly yoruba jare whatever... grin grin grin

won sepe fun yin no abeg translate�
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by ajepako(f): 2:56pm On Apr 25, 2022
csbrown:

won sepe fun yin no abeg translate�

Meaning : shey dem swear for you ? grin grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Four Nigerian Women Who Own Private Jets You Should Know / World's Largest Plane With A Wingspan Longer Than A FOOTBALL FIELD(Pic) / Toll Gates In Dubai: See What Can Be Achieved With Technology (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.