Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,383 members, 7,815,811 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 06:45 PM

 7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos - Travel (5) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel /  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos (85868 Views)

I Drank My Own Pee To Survive - Abandoned Woman Survived 10 Days In Desert / Tips On How To Survive Abuja For Freshers (personal Experience) / #lagoslessons - Nigerians Give Important Tips On How To Survive Living In Lagos (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:00am On Jul 01, 2016
theEYe21:
Ele o

I believe you mean "E nle o" or "E pele o"

Meaning:"Greetings"

2 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:02am On Jul 01, 2016
bqlekan:
Pls, which language is 'e fun mi fisi?' sounds alien to me

It is Yoruba for "Give me more", or "Add more for me"

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:05am On Jul 01, 2016
mrtayesynchro:

Thou shall not live by bread alone but by every word that cometh out from thy mouth.

So sayeth the Lord. Amen
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:06am On Jul 01, 2016
gbosaa:

That language would be spoken where there would be too much heat with the smell of sulphur. The landlord there love incantations and Yoruba language sound like one.

Exotic language like Igbo is the language of heaven.

Angel Gabriel and Saint Peter would be like..."nwanna irutego?, kee ka imelu? Ngwa bata, Eze enigwe edozigolu gi ebe iga ebi"... I would shake his hand and grab my keys..

At the other side with lots of smoke and fumes, the landlord and his area boys would be swearing and cursing at you for not prostrating on the hot char coals.

And I would simply respond: "Ewu Paradise"
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:10am On Jul 01, 2016
Umarlulu:
Chaii yoruba language no be easy oo

Now you know what the whole world already knows.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:16am On Jul 01, 2016
Grundig:
Gotta learn a few yoruba curse words.

It is of utmost importance. These curse words/phrases are prolly all you need to get a stamp of approval when dealing with a cross section of lagosians. Drivers/conductors, road side mechanic, lastma officials, some police officers to name but a few understand these words/phrases and they know not to to take umbrage whenever they are said. They are;

Oloshi
Oloriburuku
Ko ni da fu e
Aye e
Iya e

True enough, but be careful where you use those.

Do not ever say to the following:
Ambode: Oloriburuku
Police Officer: Oloshi
A Judge: Iya e
Your teacher: Aye e.

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:18am On Jul 01, 2016
Loveebelejona:
Young man Dr,Ebele Jonathan is too precious for this your stupid thread,you should have used Buhari the certificateless man and not a philosophical Dr

No wonder, Dr. GEJ is still the president of the Federal Republic of Nigeria. grin

2 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:21am On Jul 01, 2016
saintdennis:
The way igbos dey speak yoruba ehn!

If they ever have a country yoruba would be their 2nd official language.

It just might be the first; at this rate, who knows?

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:23am On Jul 01, 2016
BahdXitixenn:
obo

Vaginawhatchamacallit! Oko nko?
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:25am On Jul 01, 2016
drololaaof:
You try for the education but E joo have no (r), is like you are talking other language

Abi na Brigadier-General David Ejoor ni?
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:26am On Jul 01, 2016
gbosaa:

Says who?? They speak some bits of Yoruba when they want to make you part with that money you've been saving.

Once you've paid your tithe and dues, they go back to their "nwanna olee way".

419ners?! grin
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:27am On Jul 01, 2016
teebillz:
Not a thing on how to woo a woman. OP, you must be very silly.

So, give us some words.

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:28am On Jul 01, 2016
ThatIgboBoy:
owoda abi na Owo-da

"Wey money?"
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:32am On Jul 01, 2016
Alal:
see,it's the President that is afraid for nothing,do you know the meaning of forming another country??. You dont know,all what you have in Lagos,Kaduna, will be confiscated,are you sure all other easterners will follow you guys. Most of you ran from your family in your village,you will go back to them. Go and stop bragging.

Can we just enjoy this thread without your stupidities?

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:38am On Jul 01, 2016
GogobiriLalas:
Whenever you meet a fine Yoruba girl always say ma do e...it means how are you grin

Liar! Werey! It means I will f*ck you!
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:45am On Jul 01, 2016
Jexbabs:
Easy to learn.
Easy to write.
I'm not from any state that speaks the language but i'll always tag it as the best language in #Africa

You must be quite gifted, or you just learn the basics. Most people find it so difficult to learn. Consider the following:

Oko-Husband
Oko: farmland/village
Oko: stone
Oko: Di*k
O koo: He/She meets/met him/her
Okoo: Twenty.

Now, you know what I mean.

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by NovusHomo(m): 3:55am On Jul 01, 2016
histemple:

So Bèè kò is no longer "not like that" ?

I was thinking that "Oti o" is NO.

"Bee ko" is a phrase. A complete sentence would be like "Bee ko ni oro yen se lo"( The story does not go like that)

"Oti" literally means "not so". You see the similarity?

That is the problem with the Yoruba language; every word has at least four interpretations depending on how it is pronounced and the context in which it is used.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by diva90: 4:38am On Jul 01, 2016
Yoruba is a sweet language.... Everytime I watch Yoruba movies, I wish I could speak and understand it without having to read every single translation

3 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by diva90: 4:39am On Jul 01, 2016
badassProdigy:
2. O wa
In a Lagos bus and the bus conductor calls your bus stop? Your response should be “O wa”. Else, the bus will drive past and you can’t do anything.

Wat is o wa in English? Does it mean stop?
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by diva90: 4:43am On Jul 01, 2016
NovusHomo:

You must be quite gifted, or you just learn the basics. Most people find it so difficult to learn. Consider the following:

Oko-Husband
Oko: farmland/village
Oko: stone
Oko: Di*k
O koo: He/She meets/met him/her
Okoo: Twenty.

Now, you know what I mean.

This is the same in other languages too. You have one word that is spelt same but have different meanings however though spelling is same, the pronunciation and intonation differs

Eg. In Igbo language
Ákwá - cloth
Ákwà - cry
Ákwa - egg

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Thobiy(m): 4:46am On Jul 01, 2016
cheesy
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Immacula8(m): 5:12am On Jul 01, 2016
badassProdigy:
2. O wa
In a Lagos bus and the bus conductor calls your bus stop? Your response should be “O wa”. Else, the bus will drive past and you can’t do anything.

Lol. Actually you can do one of 2 things

1. You either disembark at the next bus stop OR
2. Last bus stop
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Myde4naija(m): 5:25am On Jul 01, 2016
iaamxavier:
who Yoruba word epp na? I Dont use any buhh I survive in Lagos! infact I'm doing well! than the owners seff for fvck this words jaee' its for the mgbati mgbati people so let them use it
you need an anti hatred drug

2 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by guiddoti: 5:50am On Jul 01, 2016
simple4generall:
fumi ni changi mi
hahaha when you mingle rice n beans
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by tunde1200(m): 5:53am On Jul 01, 2016
CACAWA:
More importantly.

[size=18pt]

Wè rè- you must be mentally challenged

Íyà e - your mom, as in, like seriously, your mom..okay? Ooorgh

Dúró náà, Àbí ayé e fé bà jé? - just a minute pls, is your endeavour interested in a nose dive or what?

Kósì ló jòó. - please get out of here and take your stupidity along with you...durrh

[/size]

These words are not good words to use.
They are heavy languages.

1 Like

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by tunde1200(m): 5:56am On Jul 01, 2016
OP Weldon...
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by evaonuegbu90(m): 6:01am On Jul 01, 2016
Yoruba language sounds stoutish to me.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Elebiju: 6:15am On Jul 01, 2016
sade1994:

grin grin sheo ti ku ni?
se o ti ku ni?

2 Likes

Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Elebiju: 6:16am On Jul 01, 2016
diva90:

Wat is o wa in English? Does it mean stop?
owa literally means it is available but in the transit context it means I'm here.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Elebiju: 6:21am On Jul 01, 2016
histemple:

So Bèè kò is no longer "not like that" ?

I was thinking that "Oti o" is NO.
You're right, bè ko is "not like that" but it can be used when talking to elders because they may feel offended when you use Oti o or rara or iro.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by Elebiju: 6:25am On Jul 01, 2016
Loveebelejona:
Young man Dr,Ebele Jonathan is too precious for this your stupid thread,you should have used Buhari the certificateless man and not a philosophical Dr
The young Dr may as well be the most corrupt elected president Nigeria ever had so what is the essence of the certificates moreover the Doctorate is honorary.
Re:  7 Yoruba Words You’ll Need To Survive In Lagos by kloser(m): 6:40am On Jul 01, 2016
sade1994:

grin grin she o ti ku ni?
se koi ku ni? grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Four Nigerian Women Who Own Private Jets You Should Know / World's Largest Plane With A Wingspan Longer Than A FOOTBALL FIELD(Pic) / Toll Gates In Dubai: See What Can Be Achieved With Technology (PHOTOS)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 36
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.