Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,830 members, 7,810,196 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 11:05 PM

Dog Chronicles - Pets (7) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Pets / Dog Chronicles (42116 Views)

Dog Chronicles (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 11:43am On Feb 07, 2017
#DogChronicles #Day15

I returned home one fateful day to meet an urgent message from one of my clients. Apparently, said client had sent "his boy" to my house severally while I was away, all in a bid to inform me that there was an emergency with one of his dogs.

I hurried to his house, which thankfully was nearby only to find out that the youngest dog- Bruno (a puppy of about 11 weeks) had suffered a large injury to his head. I was dismayed!

Let me give a little background story here. This client had six other dogs- three of which were Lhasa Apsos, one an Alsatian, another a Caucasian and finally a Alsatian/local mix. His Caucasian was a really big and aggressive male that was frequently used for stud services. My client preferred to be paid with a male puppy (instead of cash) after a successful mating.

It so happened that when Bruno was delivered, it turned out he was NOT at all a Caucasian breed. My client felt ripped off but accepted the dog anyway.

The first time I saw Bruno, he was barely 6 weeks. I noticed he hadn't been properly introduced to the other dogs and as a result he was being bullied and attacked by them. I expressed my concerns to the handlers and the owner but they were still bitter. He wasn't what they expected. "He was a local dog", they said.

Somehow, I believed the other dogs sensed this animosity towards Bruno. It was evident in the way they attacked him; oftentimes, he was left alone in a corner looking sad, while the others could almost always be seen playing together. I felt for little Bruno. He was unloved and he knew it.

Fast forward to that fateful day. I found out that one of the older dogs had attacked him as i had feared. I did the best I could and stitched him up. I also cautioned his handlers to keep him indoors for the time being.

When I went for his follow up treatment the next day, Bruno was dead. His handlers had woken up to find Bruno eviserated. Oh! How I mourned Bruno! My one regret? I should have adopted him.

6 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by ThatIgboBoy: 8:03pm On Feb 07, 2017
So far so gud,you have been discussing mostly on dogs.
Are those the only animals vets in Nigeria attend to? There is this vet that has a programme on Nat-geo wild,Dr Pol and i see him attending to different animals. He delivers cows and horses finding it difficult to deliver. He attends to dogs,cats,just name it.
But it seems most vets in Nigeria just handle dogs and many eventually become dog breeders and sellers
Re: Dog Chronicles by latissimusDorsi: 8:45pm On Feb 07, 2017
ThatIgboBoy:
Are those the only animals vets in Nigeria attend to? There is this vet that has a programme on Nat-geo wild,Dr Pol and i see him attending to different animals. He delivers cows and horses finding it difficult to deliver. He attends to dogs,cats,just name it.
But it seems most vets in Nigeria just handle dogs and many eventually become dog breeders and sellers

Check the title of the thread, it's "Dog chronicles" that why she is writing about dogs but you asked a good question though and it would have been better if you direct your question to her than all the vets in Nigeria

7 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 3:06am On Feb 08, 2017
ThatIgboBoy:

Hi ThatIgboBoy,

Thanks for your question. Just like in medicine there are different specialities in Veterinary Medicine. I'm a companion animal doctor so I treat mainly dogs and cats, occassionally birds and monkeys.

Large animal veterinarians handle horses, cattle etc and there are many such veterinarians in Nigeria. Go to any large animal farm you'll see them. Same goes to the vets that work in the zoos- they are called exotic veterinarians or the ones that work with poultry. Occassionally you have all- purpose veterinarians same way we have general physicians.

Similarly, veterinarians play an active and very important role in public health. We are usually at the abbattoirs to ensure that healthy animals are slaughtered and that you, the populace get safe and wholesome meat fit for consumption. I was privileged to work at an abbattoir while serving our beloved country, Nigeria.

The title of this post is "Dog Chronicles"- so all the stories you read here will be about dogs. It would be weird to see a "Dog Chronicles" title and read about horses or cows, wouldn't it?

Finally, it's worthy of note that most of the vets in the UK and the USA are companion animal doctors. This is based on the simple fact that more people have cats and dogs than they do horses and cattle.

Hope I have been able to enlighten you?

18 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by ThatIgboBoy: 6:21am On Feb 08, 2017
drgbaks:

Hi ThatIgboBoy,

Thanks for your question. Just like in medicine there are different specialities in Veterinary Medicine. I'm a companion animal doctor so I treat mainly dogs and cats, occassionally birds and monkeys.

Large animal veterinarians handle horses, cattle etc and there are many such veterinarians in Nigeria. Go to any large animal farm you'll see them. Same goes to the vets that work in the zoos- they are called exotic veterinarians or the ones that work with poultry. Occassionally you have all- purpose veterinarians same way we have general physicians.

Similarly, veterinarians play an active and very important role in public health. We are usually at the abbattoirs to ensure that healthy animals are slaughtered and that you, the populace get safe and wholesome meat fit for consumption. I was privileged to work at an abbattoir while serving our beloved country, Nigeria.

The title of this post is "Dog Chronicles"- so all the stories you read here will be about dogs. It would be weird to see a "Dog Chronicles" title and read about horses or cows, wouldn't it?

Finally, it's worthy of note that most of the vets in the UK and the USA are companion animal doctors. This is based on the simple fact that more people have cats and dogs than they do horses and cattle.

Hope I have been able to enlighten you?

Yea,u were

3 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by ThatIgboBoy: 6:22am On Feb 08, 2017
latissimusDorsi:

Check the title of the thread, it's "Dog chronicles" that why she is writing about dogs but you asked a good question though and it would have been better if you direct your question to her than all the vets in Nigeria

The few vets i know handle just dog issues.

I just asked based on my own observation

2 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by Abra4real(m): 9:23am On Feb 08, 2017
drgbaks:
#DogChronicles #Day15

I returned home one fateful day to meet an urgent message from one of my clients. Apparently, said client had sent "his boy" to my house severally while I was away, all in a bid to inform me that there was an emergency with one of his dogs.

I hurried to his house, which thankfully was nearby only to find out that the youngest dog- Bruno (a puppy of about 11 weeks) had suffered a large injury to his head. I was dismayed!

Let me give a little background story here. This client had six other dogs- three of which were Lhasa Apsos, one an Alsatian, another a Caucasian and finally a Alsatian/local mix. His Caucasian was a really big and aggressive male that was frequently used for stud services. My client preferred to be paid with a male puppy (instead of cash) after a successful mating.

It so happened that when Bruno was delivered, it turned out he was NOT at all a Caucasian breed. My client felt ripped off but accepted the dog anyway.

The first time I saw Bruno, he was barely 6 weeks. I noticed he hadn't been properly introduced to the other dogs and as a result he was being bullied and attacked by them. I expressed my concerns to the handlers and the owner but they were still bitter. He wasn't what they expected. "He was a local dog", they said.

Somehow, I believed the other dogs sensed this animosity towards Bruno. It was evident in the way they attacked him; oftentimes, he was left alone in a corner looking sad, while the others could almost always be seen playing together. I felt for little Bruno. He was unloved and he knew it.

Fast forward to that fateful day. I found out that one of the older dogs had attacked him as i had feared. I did the best I could and stitched him up. I also cautioned his handlers to keep him indoors for the time being.

When I went for his follow up treatment the next day, Bruno was dead. His handlers had woken up to find Bruno eviserated. Oh! How I mourned Bruno! My one regret? I should have adopted him.

Why do I feel like the owner(s) killed the dog themselves? If they don't love the dog, they could sell him out. I'm really sad to read today's chronicle. Really sad.

And doc, why do you blame yourself for not adopting the dog? You can't adopt every dog, you know. And again, they might not release him to you. Just sayin'.

1 Like

Re: Dog Chronicles by latissimusDorsi: 10:52am On Feb 08, 2017
ThatIgboBoy:

The few vets i know handle just dog issues.

I just asked based on my own observation

I understand. I've got a vet close to where I live who handles goats, sheep and chicken; really have I seen a dog taken to the place probably because people around this part of the country are mainly into local dogs.

2 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by Seun(m): 12:55pm On Feb 08, 2017
Has this thread been derailed?
Re: Dog Chronicles by Abra4real(m): 1:32pm On Feb 08, 2017
Seun:
Nope. grin grin grin
Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 1:43pm On Feb 08, 2017
Seun:

Oga Seun, not at all sir grin grin grin
Re: Dog Chronicles by Nobody: 4:56pm On Feb 08, 2017
Hi doc I need a dog, do you have any poodles on your list or Lhasa
Re: Dog Chronicles by DocAdray(f): 7:14pm On Feb 10, 2017
ThatIgboBoy:

Veterinarians in Nigeria are trained to handle virtually all domestic animals and some wild/exotic animals too. Though, many times, practicing veterinarians attend to some particular group of animals based on their interests, location, job description, etc.
When I served Nigeria (NYSC), i worked in an integrated farm where I attended to Food Animals (livestock): cattle, sheep, goat, pigs, poultry, rabbits and fish.
Presently, I practice somewhere in the north and I handle mainly livestock, horses and other pet animals too.

2 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by ThatIgboBoy: 7:38pm On Feb 10, 2017
DocAdray:

Veterinarians in Nigeria are trained to handle virtually all domestic animals and some wild/exotic animals too. Though, many times, practicing veterinarians attend to some particular group of animals based on their interests, location, job description, etc.
When I served Nigeria (NYSC), i worked in an integrated farm where I attended to Food Animals (livestock): cattle, sheep, goat, pigs, poultry, rabbits and fish.
Presently, I practice somewhere in the north and I handle mainly livestock, horses and other pet animals too.

My own doc adray.
Lol

Check my moniker and whatsapp me jare
Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 1:17pm On Feb 21, 2017
mercytripletz:
Dear Doctor, I so much love your write-ups. You are such a great professional..

Can you tell your readers things about yourself? Stuffs like How you came to have passion for animals. like, was it from young-age or
What are your Hobbies? Have you gotten awards yet?(Because you should really have many awards oo.)
You mentioned finishing from UI. how much I love UI,always producing intelligent graduates... have you ever had challenges studying Vet.Med in UI? When did you graduate?

please please tell us so many things

Hi,
Thank you for your appreciation for what I do.
I appreciate that you want to know more about me and my profession and I'm willing to share.

Watch out for my blog coming soon.
I'll be sharing more details about me and the Nigerian Vet School there.

Thanks again.
Cheers!
Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 1:19pm On Feb 21, 2017
nadalion:
I'm just loving the feeling your stories bring. Please if it's not much of a bother, I'll like to see you throw in a few tips once in a while ON ANY SUBJECT regarding did (how to groom, care, etc) for would be owners of dogs.
Good job, keep it up.

Hi dear,
It's no bother at all.
I'll share my blog details soon.
There you'll have tips and so on.
Thank you.

3 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by beautycrush24(f): 2:43pm On Feb 21, 2017
drgbaks:

Hi dear,
It's no bother at all.
Thank you.

@ bolded, it's high time you started monetizing your skills. Nice 1.

1 Like

Re: Dog Chronicles by aywhy93(m): 1:05am On Mar 04, 2017
drgbaks:

Hi dear,
Thank you.

I'm just reading your Thread for the first time, A-Z... It's so interesting and you've really showed how almost perfect you're in your profession And I was like 'Thank God. I've seen the best Vet ooh'... Cuz I stay in Ibadan too and I just got my puppy 2 weeks ago.

I was about to suggest this @bolded straight up and on getting to the last page of the thread, saw you are already working towards it.

I'm a tech blogger/Web developer and I own two top&active blogs in Nigeria. Feel free to ask for help if you need any concerning your blog, small or big, I'll be more than willing to help someone who is voluntarily sharing vital info with others. Cheers..!

7 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 4:19pm On Mar 12, 2017
aywhy93:

I'm just reading your Thread for the first time, A-Z... It's so interesting and you've really showed how almost perfect you're in your profession And I was like 'Thank God. I've seen the best Vet ooh'... Cuz I stay in Ibadan too and I just got my puppy 2 weeks ago.

I was about to suggest this @bolded straight up and on getting to the last page of the thread, saw you are already working towards it.

I'm a tech blogger/Web developer and I own two top&active blogs in Nigeria. Feel free to ask for help if you need any concerning your blog, small or big, I'll be more than willing to help someone who is voluntarily sharing vital info with others. Cheers..!

Thank you so much aywhy93. I appreciate the support and I'll definitely get in touch.

3 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by okikiosibodu(m): 12:58am On Mar 23, 2017
I can't believe I never saw this thread since my stay on Nairaland. I thought the "diary of Shadow the destroyer" was the heights of it. I took my time to read from page one to this point meticulously (took more than an hour of my time, and I don't regret it).
Your thread brings mixed feelings. I created some threads on my experience with some lovely canines (I am a cynophile, but I don't have the financial capacity to cater for any canine companion for now, but I sure will get some at the right time). Before I got my current job, sometimes last year I really wanted to get close to many dogs. This birthed a desire to work in a vertinary clinic or kennel even if it is to be cleaning the kennels and getting some financial appreciation monthly to keep soul and spirit together, but I have considered not reading anything close to vertinary an issue ( I read Geography and Regional Planning). If I had gotten a placement, I would have had sweet experiences (and several bites that would have brought laughter to the lips later) like your.
I so much appreciate our canine friends cos they are always honest. They kind of give you clue to know your status: whether or not you have been accepted into the pack... And once you are accepted into the pack, you remain a pack members cos they are loyal.
I enjoyed your thread, and I must confess, you have an excellent command of diction and excellent choice of words. Kudos to you.
May I know your location in Ibadan?
If you don't mind, here is a link to one of my threads.
https://www.nairaland.com/3289738/diary-last-visit-dogbreath-kennel
That reminds me, what is your opinion -What breed should a first time dog owner like me start with: Boerboel (the brindle been my favourite), a Rott ( cos the black and tan colouring is kind of generic) , not a GSD (the Sable coated GSD been my favourite), and state your reasons... I hope I am no digressing the thread...

4 Likes

Re: Dog Chronicles by JoinMarco: 12:27am On Apr 13, 2017
drgbaks:

Oga Seun, not at all sir grin grin grin
3 ques dear drgbarks;
How regularly should I -
1. Deworm
2. Give antibiotics
3. Give abtirabies
Thanks

1 Like

Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 11:24am On Apr 14, 2017
JoinMarco:

3 ques dear drgbarks;
How regularly should I -
1. Deworm
2. Give antibiotics
3. Give abtirabies
Thanks

Hi JoinMarco,

Thanks for your questions.

1. Deworming regimen depends on your dog's age.
Puppies should first be dewormed at 2 weeks of age because puppies can get worms from their mother via the placenta. Then every 2 weeks till they are 3 months old.
From 3-6 months, they should be dewormed every month.
7-12 months- every other month.
1 year and older- every 3 months.

2. You shouldn't give your dog's antibiotics. That is your vet's job.
Antibiotics is only administered when there is a bacterial or viral infection (if needed) and should not be abused to prevent antibiotic resistance.

3. Antirabies is given at 3 months of age and every year thereafter.
Re: Dog Chronicles by festaclanre: 11:34am On Apr 14, 2017
drgbaks:

Hi JoinMarco,

Puppies should first be dewormed at 2 weeks of age because puppies can get worms from their mother via the placenta. Then every 2 weeks till they are 3 months old.

Antibiotics is only administered when there is a bacterial or viral infection (if needed) and should not be abused to prevent antibiotic resistance.

missing your write madam.

1 Like

Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 11:49am On Apr 14, 2017
okikiosibodu:
I can't believe I never saw this thread since my stay on Nairaland. I thought the "diary of Shadow the destroyer" was the heights of it. I took my time to read from page one to this point meticulously (took more than an hour of my time, and I don't regret it).
Your thread brings mixed feelings. I created some threads on my experience with some lovely canines (I am a cynophile, but I don't have the financial capacity to cater for any canine companion for now, but I sure will get some at the right time). Before I got my current job, sometimes last year I really wanted to get close to many dogs. This birthed a desire to work in a vertinary clinic or kennel even if it is to be cleaning the kennels and getting some financial appreciation monthly to keep soul and spirit together, but I have considered not reading anything close to vertinary an issue ( I read Geography and Regional Planning). If I had gotten a placement, I would have had sweet experiences (and several bites that would have brought laughter to the lips later) like your.
I so much appreciate our canine friends cos they are always honest. They kind of give you clue to know your status: whether or not you have been accepted into the pack... And once you are accepted into the pack, you remain a pack members cos they are loyal.
I enjoyed your thread, and I must confess, you have an excellent command of diction and excellent choice of words. Kudos to you.
May I know your location in Ibadan?
If you don't mind, here is a link to one of my threads.
https://www.nairaland.com/3289738/diary-last-visit-dogbreath-kennel
That reminds me, what is your opinion -What breed should a first time dog owner like me start with: Boerboel (the brindle been my favourite), a Rott ( cos the black and tan colouring is kind of generic) , not a GSD (the Sable coated GSD been my favourite), and state your reasons... I hope I am no digressing the thread...

Hello Okikiosibodu,

Thank you for taking out time to read the thread. I'm glad you enjoyed it.
I'll endeavour to go through our thread when I can. I'm sure it will be great. smiley

As regards your question,
The choice of a dog for a first-time owner depends on a number of factors:

1. Maintenance - Some dogs are low while others are high maintenance dogs. What this means is that some dogs require less/more attention and probably cost less/more to maintain. This could be due to their coats, colour; specific breed needs etc.

2. Popularity - Some dogs are more popular in a region then others. The more common a breed is the better the adaptability to that region.

3. Children - Some dogs are more suited to children than others. Friendly etc.

4. Aggression - Some dog breeds exhibit more aggression than others.

All these factors and more should be put into consideration when choosing a dog as a first timer.

I'll recommend the GSD- because they fit the bill ever so nicely.
They are relatively low maintenance, are a popular breed in Nigeria, good with children (of you have any) and typically not so aggressive.

Hope this helps?

1 Like

Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 11:52am On Apr 14, 2017
festaclanre:
missing your write madam.

Awww...
Thanks sir.

Something is cooking... wink cheesy grin

1 Like

Re: Dog Chronicles by festaclanre: 1:49pm On Apr 14, 2017
drgbaks:

Awww... Thanks sir.
Something is cooking... wink cheesy grin
I lost your contact
Re: Dog Chronicles by sunny15: 6:24pm On Apr 14, 2017
N ice thread. Following keenly

1 Like

Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 7:25pm On Apr 14, 2017
sunny15:
N
ice thread. Following keenly

Thank you smiley
Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 7:26pm On Apr 14, 2017
festaclanre:
I lost your contact

I can be contacted via email:

drgbaksthevet@gmail.com
Re: Dog Chronicles by JoinMarco: 11:24am On Apr 17, 2017
drgbaks:

Hi JoinMarco,

Ya... Thanks
It's true what you said abt d antibiotics
Re: Dog Chronicles by kelsmic: 11:45am On Apr 18, 2017
OK... and Orion was here again... I still see you Dr... nice job MA!

1 Like

Re: Dog Chronicles by drgbaks(f): 2:52am On Apr 20, 2017
kelsmic:
OK... and Orion was here again... I still see you Dr... nice job MA!

Thank you Kelsmic grin

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Remember My Caucasian Pup. Well He's A Man Now / Guys, My Ekuke Gave Birth (Tomorrow Is The Naming) / Help! See The Funny State Of My Dog's Ear (photos)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 76
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.