Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,154,300 members, 7,822,489 topics. Date: Thursday, 09 May 2024 at 11:48 AM

Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently - Nairaland / General (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently (22127 Views)

Romance Section: Just What Nairaland Needs / Seun Nairaland Needs Spiritual Cleansing / Improving The Sports Section: Nairaland Needs Your Input (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by Ben13: 8:20pm On Sep 11, 2009
I suggest the moderators chosen should know they are also members like others.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by bandely(m): 8:29pm On Sep 11, 2009
Oga Seun, na how much be the pay?
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by Nobody: 8:35pm On Sep 11, 2009
-Spend enough time online every day to keep the desired sub-board clean.---Yes
- Humble and loyal enough to always listen to the admin and not cause trouble.-----Yes
- Know and respects the rules of Nairaland.  Not a rule breaker.  Disciplined.---- I try to be

Hey Seun,

I'd like to assist in the family section, seems interesting and wouldn't get bored there.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by manmustwac(m): 8:39pm On Sep 11, 2009
I hereby nominate myself to moderate the moderators smiley
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by tatsumaru(m): 8:41pm On Sep 11, 2009
Some people are asking for money. This is the largest site in nigeria, and being a moderator of it is good enough. There are many $$$ advantages $$$ of being a moderator, if you know what i mean. This site has over 30,000 views a day most of them being first time visitors. Although if you take advantage of some of those advantages, you will probably be banned and lose your rank as a moderator.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by tunyus(m): 8:47pm On Sep 11, 2009
@SEUN
goodday to u,I am interested in the sport and auto section i believe this are area i can put in my very best if given the opportunity
my contact,
tunyus05@yahoo.com
08038432860, 08054101231
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by didoflex(m): 8:52pm On Sep 11, 2009
Which thread, SPORTS obviously, cos that really the only thread I follow and I always try and be objective with NO bias!
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by Dirac(m): 8:55pm On Sep 11, 2009
Hello Seun. I am interested in the Technology an Programming boards. I am a PHP developer and I have great passion for Technology related Issues, especially as it relates with the web
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by dgreatrock(m): 9:02pm On Sep 11, 2009
i dont really know what it entails, but i ll love to moderate in the 'Christian Religion' and sports thread or anywhere oga Seun like.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by dgreatrock(m): 9:14pm On Sep 11, 2009
Warfy Boy:

i wan take over nairaland

I want to be the site admin, if una no give me this post, i no do anytin

o boy!! na wetin naaaa grin
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by CrazyMan(m): 9:16pm On Sep 11, 2009
@Seun

I really want to moderate, but its so unfortunate that the only place I would have really love to be in charge of is already taken and that is the Romance section.

Those ones you listed are the the most bored forums on Nairaland. I can now understand why they are still vacant.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by ourland(m): 9:21pm On Sep 11, 2009
@Seun
Firstly I register my appreciation for giving
this opportunities to everyone here:
I am interested in CAREER or JOB/VACANCY

I had worked in HR department prior to
my resignation! I also have my blog
that is meant for career.

I have access to the INTERNET 24/7.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by tatsumaru(m): 9:30pm On Sep 11, 2009
A moderator. One of the gods of nairaland. At the rate at which nairaland is growing, a moderator will be like one of the gods of the internet.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by dgreatrock(m): 9:31pm On Sep 11, 2009
@Crazyman are you same as crazykid?
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by whiteroses(f): 9:33pm On Sep 11, 2009
seun please choose me pretty please please please i beg of you smiley i dont mind controlling entertainment i'll be serious i wont allow anyone to bully anybody so can i huh can i?
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by Mitchell49: 9:38pm On Sep 11, 2009
am in really interested in being a moderator.

at 2nd thought, i would make do with the COMPUTER/INTERNET board,

why? i can't shout, today is not prize-giving day, am just a freak when it comes to internet stuffs, geez.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by Redman44(m): 9:39pm On Sep 11, 2009
@ Seun, you've made a good move by throwing the moderator positions open. It shows the good stuff you're made of. I am not really interested in moderating because I have too much projects in my hand. I simply won't have the time, mate. However, I have some advice for Nairalanders who are aspiring to be moderators. Here we go:

@ Aspiring Moderators and Assistants

Moderating on Forums is not a child's play. Apart from all the rules Seun Osewa has laid, you have to be very knowledgeable to keep the threads fresh. It is not just about holding the position, and banning and unbanning posters or contributors. A moderator has to constantly conceive new ways to keep a thread going. He or she must be able to come up with new angles and approaches to the issue being discussed. Good internet and archival research skills should be a virtue of Nairaland Moderators. Moderators should also be able to present their ideas clearly and possess good writing skills. I'm not saying you have to be another Wole Soyinka to be a good Moderator, but you've got to be good with words. A Moderator must also be able to edit posts and urge posters to come up with new angles to the information they provide.

Nairaland is growing in leaps and bounds and there are many foreigners travelling through the site. Seun, you need to get quality Moderators if you want to get solid investors. If you care to know, your site was discussed recently on the Jubilee Line on the London Underground recently.

I feel aspiring moderators should go to www.gumtree.com and check the site's forums. Look at how Bluey and Montezuma are doing their thing as Gumtree forum moderators. You can learn a thing or two from them. Have a nice weekend. Cheers.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by JAZES(m): 9:47pm On Sep 11, 2009
@seun,
i can handle the business section very well.
@whitroses,
na wetin mr handel do u
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by bidemi12(m): 9:57pm On Sep 11, 2009
@coolchico very good point. FOR HOW MUCH? anything that requires my time and effort which ultimately boosts the income of anybody also requires my being paid for it. Abi i lie?
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by Chrisbenogor(m): 10:10pm On Sep 11, 2009
Redman44:

@ Seun, you've made a good move by throwing the moderator positions open. It shows the good stuff you're made of. I am not really interested in moderating because I have too much projects in my hand. I simply won't have the time, mate. However, I have some advice for Nairalanders who are aspiring to be moderators. Here we go:

@ Aspiring Moderators and Assistants

Moderating on Forums is not a child's play. Apart from all the rules Seun Osewa has laid, you have to be very knowledgeable to keep the threads fresh. It is not just about holding the position, and banning and unbanning posters or contributors. A moderator has to constantly conceive new ways to keep a thread going. He or she must be able to come up with new angles and approaches to the issue being discussed. Good internet and archival research skills should be a virtue of Nairaland Moderators. Moderators should also be able to present their ideas clearly and possess good writing skills. I'm not saying you have to be another Wole Soyinka to be a good Moderator, but you've got to be good with words. A Moderator must also be able to edit posts and urge posters to come up with new angles to the information they provide.

Nairaland is growing in leaps and bounds and there are many foreigners travelling through the site. Seun, you need to get quality Moderators if you want to get solid investors. If you care to know, your site was discussed recently on the Jubilee Line on the London Underground recently.

I feel aspiring moderators should go to www.gumtree.com and check the site's forums. Look at how Bluey and Montezuma are doing their thing as Gumtree forum moderators. You can learn a thing or two from them. Have a nice weekend. Cheers.
My thoughts exactly we could seriously use one in the religion section, I for nominate myself because I am tired of the way threads go in there, it really needs to be boosted. But I am not totally sure yet of how neutral a moderator should be.
Plus what are the other requirements, how much time etc grin grin grin grin grin
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by Nobody: 10:11pm On Sep 11, 2009
hi
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by eyonigger(m): 10:12pm On Sep 11, 2009
Seun, reply to these people, are u not the one seeking for mods? They are volunteering, so post back and lets see who and who you wanna take.

As for me, I just do not have the time.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by showbobo(m): 10:18pm On Sep 11, 2009
I am interested in the AUTO SECTION. . . smiley
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by etauso(m): 10:37pm On Sep 11, 2009
Just gimme the technology sector cos I was born to do it
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by WackyJ1(m): 10:47pm On Sep 11, 2009
Dear seun

I would like tender my application for the post of moderator of the Technology section. This is because that is by far my favourite section in nairaland, the section where i feel most at home at and where i can make meaning full contributions.
As far as being online always is concerned, i would like you to know that i log into nairaland( and other accounts like facebook and yahoo) once every hour and at most two hours, i know this may sound impossible but i'm an internet freak.
I know what it entails to be a moderator and i assure you i'm the best man for the job. I'm mentally incapable of breaking the rules and humility is what i'm know.
I hope you will consider me for the post.
WACKYJ1
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by WackyJ1(m): 10:48pm On Sep 11, 2009
Dear seun

I would like tender my application for the post of moderator of the Technology section. This is because that is by far my favourite section in nairaland, the section where i feel most at home at and where i can make meaning full contributions.
As far as being online always is concerned, i would like you to know that i log into nairaland( and other accounts like facebook and yahoo) once every hour and at most two hours, i know this may sound impossible but i'm an internet freak.
I know what it entails to be a moderator and i assure you i'm the best man for the job. I'm mentally incapable of breaking the rules and humility is what i'm know.
I hope you will consider me for the post.
WACKYJ1
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by femu(m): 10:53pm On Sep 11, 2009
Seun i am available for moderation on the Programming section.cheers
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by Redman44(m): 10:55pm On Sep 11, 2009
A Moderator should try not to be partisan because he or she holds the membership of the site in trust. However, Moderators have the power to terminate threads that are meaningless and checkmate bullies. Many threads on Nairaland die out because they are not interesting and the Moderators are not doing much to stimulate solid discussions. People should be able to log on to the site and be enlightened on various issues. Nairaland is being used as a benchmark to measure the intelligence of Nigerian youths. Sometimes, the Gutter language that is used on the site pisses me off. The threads should be more interactive. More grease to your elbows, Seun. Cheers.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by lastpage: 11:25pm On Sep 11, 2009
@Seun
Desired qualities of a Nairaland Moderator:
------
- Humble and loyal enough to always listen to the admin and not cause trouble.
- Knows and respects the rules of Nairaland.  Not a rule breaker.  Disciplined.

A short QUIZ:

There was a man who was "given a job to do" by his benefactor.
The Benefactor "laid down the rules and told his employee what to do"
Being a "good man" the employee did his master's bidding.
But his master was "powerful man", and he used his employee to achieve selfish and not so noble purposes!
This employee tried to use his wisdom, to do "a few things" that were right!
People were annoyed and criticized this employee.
They were blaming him for what he was doing (not minding he was "just obeying orders and being loyal" )
This employee was to be convicted for being loyal and obedient but his master was "a free man!

Would anyone have preferred that this employee did not listen to his "Master"?
Would this employee have been a better person, with a better legacy had he been disloyal to his benefactor?

Do we actually consider "unqualified loyalty" as a virtue and asset?
Should we actually be "demanding loyalty and obedience to us" from those who are responsible to us?

Can anybody tell me THE NAME OF THIS EMPLOYEE?
(clue: he was a Nigerian public servant)

Please let me have your guess, thanks in advance.

Now, l came-up with this analogy, in reference to what SEUN listed as one of the requirements to qualify as a MODERATOR. (as highlighted above)

"Loyalty and obedience" is considered a good virtue but we all know that "the heart of man is wicked"! (So says the good book!)

In the above analogy, "the employee" now has to live with the result, negative consequence of his "loyalty and obedience" to his Master.
Some have said 'but he should have not obeyed those vile instructions of his master",,, and be considered disloyal?

For me, l think l am grown-up enough, mature enough and intelligent enough to distinguish between right and wrong, fairness and l have a conscience.

While l like Seun and would like to support "his project", l am too "independently minded" to remain loyal to anyone!
He can bet on my integrity and fairness but there will be times that "SEUN" will, like all humans, including myself, "miss it" and at those times, you dont need a "loyal and obedient" companion, you need someone who is bold enough, to tell you the truth, to "say it as it is".

To do otherwise is to wallow in mediocrity.

Let me ask SEUN, "what are your expectations of a moderator" that you require his/her loyalty and obedience to you?
What if a "politically charged but true post was made" or one against your interest"? would you require a "loyal and obedient moderator" to bring it down?

I cant remember who said it but it was said that " to demand loyalty and obedience from one human to another, is the beginning of dictatorship" (now, this is generally speaking!)
Now, imagine if even my parents demand absolute loyalty and obedience from me, even as a grown up (as opposed to a child)?
Is it that they are never wrong or is it that l dont have a mind of my own or is it that they dont trust my judgment or mental state or is it that they will prefer not to be told the truth when they are in the wrong?

I may be wrong but l think one of the things that would really make a "great site" is its independence and the independence of the posts their-in.
The feeling that "your voice will  be heard unedited, the way you want to say it".

I write on a few forums where my write-ups are not edited
I know the most "important rule" on Nairaland is not to annoy the Admin!(Seun) and l hope l have not, with my reminiscence?

I guess by now, it will be obvious that l can not qualify to be a Moderator grin

All the same, l wish Seun and all the MODS well.
,,,,, and please, easy with the hammer o! shocked

Lastpage

"
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by sugabelle: 11:28pm On Sep 11, 2009
Instead of people applying why can't members just select/nominate those they feel have been relevant and would be capable, in the advertised sections undecided. Judging by the criteria, it would be easy for us to select who suits what best. We all know who is who and who could do what. It's not just by handing in CVs and applications as some have done.
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by trekkie: 11:30pm On Sep 11, 2009
Re: Nairaland Needs Moderators Urgently by Krayola2(m): 11:32pm On Sep 11, 2009
do mods get paid?

I think Chrisbenogor would make a great mod on the religion section.

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10) ... (17) (Reply)

All Elections In Nigeria Were Rigged Since 1960 - Jonathan / #ThingsILongThroatFor Now Trending On Twitter / Car Crash: Akpabio Flown Abroad For Treatment

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 53
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.