Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,155,409 members, 7,826,581 topics. Date: Monday, 13 May 2024 at 04:36 PM

Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. - Business (10) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. (24875 Views)

Rich Nigerians: Why Are You Not Patronizing Tinapa? / Is Tinapa Failing? / Harrods, Wal-mart, Mc Donald´s And Others Head For Tinapa City In Nigeria (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by Kobojunkie: 3:51am On Sep 20, 2009
@Xanadu, I say we go with the dictionary meaning of the words here.

[size=14pt]rec·rea·tion [/size] (rek′rē ā′s̸hən)

noun

refreshment in body or mind, as after work, by some form of play, amusement, or relaxation
any form of play, amusement, or relaxation used for this purpose, as games, sports, or hobbies

[size=14pt]tour·ism (trzm)[/size]
n.
1. The practice of traveling for pleasure.
2. The business of providing tours and services for tourists.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by xanadu: 7:16am On Sep 20, 2009
Thank you, @kobojunkie. I agree with your definition, we can work with that.

So going by your dictionary definition of recreation - "by some form of play, amusement, or relaxation, any form of play, amusement or relaxation"
Tourism - taking the first definition: "the practice of traveling for pleasure". This word - pleasure - means play, amusement, etc. Is that agreeable with you? 
The second definition - the business of providing tours - is still slightly ambiguous, as the word TOURS is used there, which is one of the things we are trying to define. I am sure you will agree with this as well.

So in essence - while recreation is some form of play, or amusement etc, tourism is GOING TO A PLACE OTHER THAN ONE'S NORMAL RESIDENTIAL REGION to seek the same thing - pleasure, amusement, relaxation. What do you think?

Is it really possible to go on a tour without seeking relaxation, or some form of amusement, or means of pleasure? What is the essence of going on a tour in the first place?

Take a look at this:
Tourism and Recreation Common Ground
At a 1984 conference on tourism in Knoxville, Tennessee, participants discovered, among other things, that many recreation and tourism professionals considered TOURISM and RECREATION as two entirely different subjects. Parks and recreation professionals at this meeting called their promotional activities "RECREATION", while the tourism professionals identified the same activities as "TOURISM". At the conclusion of the conference, both professional groups readily agreed there was no large difference between tourism and recreation; precisely, the two are interrelated. Tourism cannot exist without recreation - it's the whole reason why people travel in the first place!
Source here: [url]http://www.ask.com/bar?q=difference+between+tourism+and+recreation&page=1&qsrc=0&ab=5&u=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.lib.niu.edu%2F1989%2Fip890736.html[/url] (fourth paragraph)

So - what's my point? I think too much hair is being split over whether Tinapa is a tourism area or a recreational area, especially by @fegflu, with due respect. While I have no stake whatsoever in the enterprise, my understanding is that there are places there for amusement, relaxation, shopping.

Additionally, the owners have not said that it is for the generality of the people - or have they? I am very much aware that many residents of Orlando, Florida have not visited the Disneyland Resort there. Neither is it reasonably possible that all residents of Paris have visited Disneyland Paris.(By the way, are these tourist attractions, or amusement parks? @fegflu, have you seen them listed in your search for holidays with Thomas Cook or Virgin Holidays? So are they amusement parks or tourist attractions?).

The poster published, shared perhaps is the right word, photos of Tinapa that he/she thought were nice, and is obviously proud of. I am not sure if the post warrants a lot of the sort of comments one has seen here.

But of course, this is Nairaland - I stand to be 'CORRECTED'.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by Nobody: 7:23am On Sep 20, 2009
Something like Tinapa should be built close to lagos, imo.

The rest of you should stay on one side and continue your arguments there.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by SapeleGuy: 11:57am On Sep 20, 2009
CBN Clears C-River Govt of Debt On Tinapa Project

8 September 2009

Calabar — Governor of the Central Bank of Nigeria, Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi, has said that the Cross River State government paid back the first and second loans it took towards the building of the Tinapa Leisure Resort in Calabar.

He spoke at the unveiling of the new Carnival logo and the re-branding of the annual Carnival which took place at Studio Tinapa in Calabar, Cross River State.

According to the CBN boss and guest of honour on the occasion, when he was at the UBA the first application for a loan from the Cross River State government came to his desk during the administration of the former governor of Cross River State, Mr. Donald Duke.

He said he granted the request and when he, Sanusi, moved to First Bank, the application for the second loan from the same government also came to his desk and he also granted the request.

"In case there are journalists present here, I want to say that both loans were fully paid back," he said to a rousing applause.

In his address on the occasion, which featured the unveiling of the new carnival logo, dances, drama presentations and singing with Weired MC, KC PRESH and Sunny Eneji among others, the chief host, Governor Liyel Imoke gave credit to the former governor, Mr. Donald Duke, who was also present, as "the creator of the Carnival" and called on partners to join hands with the state government to move the Carnival forward.

Describing the Carnival as "a quintessential vehicle for driving mutually beneficial partnership", he called on corporate organisazions to partner with Cross River on the Carnival and tourism in the state, saying the Carnival was "a product to reach vast audiences all over the world."

The governor subsequently explained why his administration decided to re-brand the festival from Christmas Festival to Calabar Festival and finally disclosed that henceforth the carnival will be known and addressed as Calabar Festival and Mallam Sanusi Lamido Sanusi then unveiled the new Carnival logo.

The colourful occasion saw a live performance of Festival theme song, a parade of bands, the unveiling musical drama performance, a testimony of an existing sponsor and a call to sponsorship by Michael Williams and Elenda Osima Dokubo.

Wife of the state governor, Mrs. Obioma Liyel Imoke also noted that the annual festival has grown in leaps and bounds and there was no going back, adding that "I daresay that if we attempt to stop this yearly carnival, we will have a riot on our hands."

The annual Calabar Festival has been described as "a celebration of music, culture and friendship" and it is a month-long celebration for Cross River state residents to "rest and recuperate from the year's exertions and welcome visitors to sample their culture and seasonal festivities."

It kicks of every year with a tree lighting ceremony on the 30th November and ends on January 1 of the following year.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by EPOMA(m): 2:14pm On Sep 20, 2009
@Tpia
You last post was funny . LOL

@SapeleGuy
Please not to be respectful, I have seen your last post.

CBN Clears C-River Govt of Debt On Tinapa Project
Nigeria as a country will continue to have problem because of our stupidness or silly things like this. As a state ,a loan was collected from a group of different banks to fund this project.What has CBN got to do with clearing Cross river state because they paid back the money they Borrowed. Oh , I did not know that you have to be cleared CBN or Sanusi when you take a loan ,also you have invited Sanusi to a function to announce that you have been cleared. I will make some few point below.

1. As of 2 years ago cross River was left with a Debt of 70 Billion naira by Donald Duke In the name of Tinapa while he Duke hanged on to all the paperwork of Tinapa as he left office.

2. Cross river State struggles with annual income of about 50 Billion naira which is not even Enough to run the state, With my little knowledge of maths, how did they repay this 70billion in 2 year or is Sanusi talking about the money that was collect from UBA and First bank as he mentioned becos it was about 5 banks that were involved in this project.

This is the same way minister of Jutice AndoKa came out and said that Ibori was clear by EFCC and only the following day, EFCC denied clearing Ibori. we as Nigeria have to challenge all this Thieves who pays hungry journalist to clear them on our papers.They should go to court and be cleared.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by SapeleGuy: 2:59pm On Sep 20, 2009
Epoma - No offence taken. To say that I am not a fan of Sanusi will be a massive understatement. However, that does not change the fact that they may have paid back the loans.

With respect, you have made some sweeping generalisations - Please show us proof that Duke took the said papers away. What you have offered here is conjecture and it may well be correct but until you show us proof to the contrary, it will be difficult for your allegations to stick.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by AjaraEwuro: 3:03pm On Sep 20, 2009
Epoma

You simply can not reason much more than a fish does.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by EPOMA(m): 5:06pm On Sep 20, 2009
@ SapeleGuy
Thanks for your post, This are facts that i Know, I like Sanusi as well , I just used an intance.Liyel Imoke keeps Crying over the debt left by duke,. Also my main point is that this project did not even cost up to half the money claimed by the past Government

@AjaraEwuro
I still will not get rude with you, all I will tell you is to try get exposed. All your mouth running will not get you anywhere
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by fegflu: 8:15pm On Sep 20, 2009
@ SapeleGuy
Thanks for your post, This are facts that i Know, I like Sanusi as well , I just used an intance.Liyel Imoke keeps Crying over the debt left by duke,. Also my main point is that this project did not even cost up to half the money claimed by the past Government

@AjaraEwuro
I still will not get rude with you, all I will tell you is to try get exposed. All your mouth running will not get you anywhere,

I have said it b4- these people are criminals. everytin they do is to enrich their pocket. No matter how well intentioned they may appear to be. EVEN FASHOLA - AS GOOD AS HE MAY APPEAR 2DAY -IS NOT FAR FROM THE ABOVE. ONLY TIME WILL TELL,
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by fegflu: 10:07pm On Sep 20, 2009
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by AjaraEwuro: 8:23am On Sep 21, 2009
So Epoma s the same as Fegflu- may that flu catch you until your brains dries up and gets replaced by your wettery shit.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by akym(m): 2:19pm On Sep 21, 2009
I do agree with you But for future references, lets correct the way we do things in Nigeria and it will be better
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by fegflu: 6:35pm On Sep 21, 2009
Ajara Ewuro,

Wat do u mean.
Fegflu is different from epoma.ok
Its just my id name. It has no connection wit the widely know flu virus , ok.

the first name is feng and the last name is lui.
It was automatically generated to fegflu 4 me ok.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by Kobojunkie: 6:59pm On Sep 21, 2009
@Xanadu, I will be upfront with you. I have not really been into Tinapa to see it. Only seen it from afar and read up on news of the project from first announcement to completion. So, whether the final project works for tourism or for recreation, I am not in the best place to judge, but I can definitely say that the pictures(at the start of this thread) show a park for recreation and that park is not tourism.

I did mention somewhere that we build our tourism industry and I mean that considering, Nigeria used to be a huge tourist destination back in the 80’s at least. I remember my school took us on trips to places like Olumo rock, rubber farms in Abeokuta, Obasanjo’s farm, National arts theatre in iganmu, Eyo, and so many other places back then. Many of these structures were unique because they were Nigerian in so many ways. They were not replicas of foreign monuments we went to see; we went to see Nigerian history, art and culture.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by mustafar1: 8:00pm On Sep 21, 2009
The pictures show that part of tinapa as being for recreation and not tourism. You ask why this bros dey dribble backwards? People go on tours to see things that are unique to the places where they are present. Tourist travel to NY not to go watch the latest hollywood junk but to watch live shows on broadway(nothing like it), they visit st peters cathedral not because there aren't older ones in italy but because of the length of time its been there and how its been preserved. tourists visit LA to walk around hollywood blvd in search for their favorite actors Star and lil stuff like that. Building tinapa adding in replica of stuff from around the world and neglecting including the local cultural heritage isn't.

But what about Vegas?
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by xanadu: 8:32pm On Sep 21, 2009
Of course, @kobojunkie - I agree with you: why not put Nigeria's history, culture on display as well as provide means for visitors (tourists) to amuse themselves?  Like yourself, I have never been to Tinapa. You are right, the photos do not show any historical/natural/cultural landmarks. That is something I guess the management will need to do, if indeed such DO NOT ALREADY EXIST there.

One of the key elements in a business plan is demographic,s or market segmentation: who exactly are you offering your product/market to? In this regard, I remember clearly reading at the completion of the 'first' phase of the Tinapa project, an interview with former governor Duke where he mentioned that a major target was the set of Nigerians who frequently travel out of NIgeria for shopping and for holidays - the aim being to as much as possible provide a fitting alternative within Nigeria.

Whether or not the Tinapa project has met this objective, I do not know - but I think it is worth keeping in mind.

[And I do not remember what interview, what magazine or what date Governor Duke said this, unfortunately - so pls I cannot provide 'source']
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by Kobojunkie: 8:38pm On Sep 21, 2009
xanadu:

Of course, @kobojunkie - I agree with you: why not put Nigeria's history, culture on display as well as provide means for visitors (tourists) to amuse themselves? Like yourself, I have never been to Tinapa. You are right, the photos do not show any historical/natural/cultural landmarks. That is something I guess the management will need to do, if indeed such DO NOT ALREADY EXIST there.

One of the key elements in a business plan is demographic,s or market segmentation: who exactly are you offering your product/market to? In this regard, I remember clearly reading at the completion of the 'first' phase of the Tinapa project, an interview with former governor Duke where he mentioned that a major target was the set of Nigerians who frequently travel out of NIgeria for shopping and for holidays - the aim being to as much as possible provide a fitting alternative within Nigeria.

Whether or not the Tinapa project has met this objective, I do not know - but I think it is worth keeping in mind.

[And I do not remember what interview, what magazine or what date Governor Duke said this, unfortunately - so pls I cannot provide 'source']

I think must_a_far has given much talk on the problem with Nigerian tourism. Even the North has seriously great potential in that area, but we continue to miss the mark while countries around us continue to reap heavily from our failures.

I will be the first to tell you that I had seriously high hopes for Tinapa project. I thought back, about 5 years ago, when I first read of the idea, that it was a great one, believing that with serious focus on improving tourism, we would finally be on the map. I have seen a couple of videos of the final project and I have to say it is so not like the plans and definitely not close to what I expected.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by xanadu: 8:53pm On Sep 21, 2009
Ah @kobojunkie - what can one say? Carrying on with this will only take us further away from the issue at hand - which is appreciating those photos, or not, as the case may be - and more into the issues of the perennial problems we have as a nation.

At least we agree that the original plan was a good one - I guess we have to hope (does any Nigerian still have this for the country?) that the deviation from the plan is arrested, and corrected - in this and all the other projects that have started off on a sound footing/plan.

These perennial problems?
1. Lack of continuty - each successive government wants to 'make their mark' - at new costs, to the detriment of the original plan
2. Nepotism - it does not matter that the post of Marketing manager, for example, requires a qualified person - just put my brother who dropped out of primary 4 there
3. Of course outright 'it is my turn' corruption - afterall, it is the 'national cake', is it not?

I am sure many of you out there can add to the list.

Sorry, @poster, my intention is not to hijack your post. It is just that the post has opened up interesting debates here.
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by Kobojunkie: 9:00pm On Sep 21, 2009
I am telling you, I had seriously high hopes for the Tinapa project. I was particular moved by the monorail project and the plan to not only bring in international bodies but to bring them into an environment that would motivate job creation and help build skill right there in our own country. For once, somethng that would maybe inspire some change but,  . .
Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by olenime(m): 12:55pm On May 09, 2020
I need a managing company in Lagos Nigeria who can manage a resort in Lagos.

Re: Lovely Pictures Of Tinapa Water Park. by olenime(m): 12:56pm On May 09, 2020
Kobojunkie:
I am telling you, I had seriously high hopes for the Tinapa project. I was particular moved by the monorail project and the plan to not only bring in international bodies but to bring them into an environment that would motivate job creation and help build skill right there in our own country. For once, somethng that would maybe inspire some change but,  . .

I need a managing company in Lagos Nigeria who can manage a resort in Lagos.

(1) (2) (3) ... (7) (8) (9) (10) (Reply)

Pos: Fuel Stations To Charge N50 On Product Sales From Dec 1 / Should I Buy Keke Or A Car For Uber In Benin? / Court Restrains Dangote, Police From Interfering With BUA Mining Sites

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 71
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.