Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,994 members, 7,817,946 topics. Date: Saturday, 04 May 2024 at 11:37 PM

Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW - Politics (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW (24096 Views)

Buhari Requests N157.75bn To Hire Additional 350,000 Graduates - Presidency / ICT For Change - Huawei Partners FG For Training And Employment Opportunity / Budget 2016 Slashed From 500bn To 75bn (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by aresa: 5:33pm On Jul 22, 2016
MasterJayJay:
Each state should be given a mandate to generate at least 1,000 megawatts for the next four years.

I'm with you on that one.

This was what Tinubu was trying to do in Lagos state when he constructed the first 271 MW IPP in nigeria, which is still active today, but who sabotaged and killed that concept? The same clueless, corrupt and destructive PDP/OBJ.

Imagine Lagos state today without that single interference and sabotage...

12 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by wristbangle: 5:38pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

What's the difference between what we are spending and what other countries are spending on 1000MW. For 1125 MW, we are actually getting a good deal for our money.

The going rate for 1000MW is $1 billion.

Even the so called 22.500MW $22 billion largest damn you quoted = $1 billion per 1000 MW.

Do a little elementary arithmetic before spewing rubbish and even a little research before spewing ignorance on the internet. Hate and bitterness can not stop us.

God bless u. Intellectual finishing naim u give that guy

10 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by wristbangle: 5:40pm On Jul 22, 2016
MasterJayJay:
Each state should be given a mandate to generate at least 1,000 megawatts for the next four years.

Nice one idea bro but how many states can afford that?

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Idrismusty97(m): 5:46pm On Jul 22, 2016
Wailers be like "Na only North Sun dey? Buhari is a tribalists".

22 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by sukkot: 5:46pm On Jul 22, 2016
its about to get lit outcheaa. literally speaking that is
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by cardoctor(m): 5:46pm On Jul 22, 2016
Money wan enter ground again.
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nairadays: 5:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
Good development for Solar Energy Companies. Profit Time.

But what about generating power from wind? If that's possible, we can add that too to the national grid.

Anyway good development from the government.

1 Like

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by delikay4luv: 5:49pm On Jul 22, 2016
Mr. Rocket science
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Standing5(m): 5:50pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

What's the difference between what we are spending and what other countries are spending on 1000MW. For 1125 MW, we are actually getting a good deal for our money.

Even the so called 22.500MW $22 billion largest damn you quoted = $1 billion per 1000 MW.

Do a little elementary arithmetic before spewing rubbish and even a little research before spewing ignorance on the internet. Hate and bitterness can not stop us.
Are u minding that confused dude. Comparing hydro and solar of diff scale.

5 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Exponental(m): 5:51pm On Jul 22, 2016
This is what individual states should be targeting. Nothing wrong with excess n storage of power.

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 5:54pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:

Nah, not today, not now... I won't insult you, Your ignorance has done that to you already

If you could read effectively maybe you'd have had a better understanding of where am driving at

some countries have the luxury of experimenting with solar powered plants, others like Nigeria don't, we currently have an installed capacity of not more than 7,000MW. Instead of building small plants everywhere, why not build something large to generate what can supply the entire country for about 18 hours daily...

You can say all you want, but i won't stoop to your level of immaturity by trading insults... I'd rather trade opinions with you

Thanks

The reason is pretty obvious. Nigeria at this time cannot afford a single point of risk. In any case, production is not the problem but rather transmission. Modular power structures sidestep the current transmission logjam.

7 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by obailala(m): 5:54pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:

Nah, not today, not now... I won't insult you, Your ignorance has done that to you already

If you could read effectively maybe you'd have had a better understanding of where am driving at

some countries have the luxury of experimenting with solar powered plants, others like Nigeria don't, we currently have an installed capacity of not more than 7,000MW. Instead of building small plants everywhere, why not build something large to generate what can supply the entire country for about 18 hours daily...

You can say all you want, but i won't stoop to your level of immaturity by trading insults... I'd rather trade opinions with you

Thanks
You should underatand that gas fired plants happen to be the cheapest source of power, this is the area Nigeria should concentrate on massively to first of all, achieve uninterrupted power supply before we start experimenting with the expensive renewable options. However, do you need to be reminded of the massive dissadvantage and setbacks of these gas plants in a jungle like Nigeria?

Like you rightly said, Nigeria has up to 7000mw intalled (and functional) capacity, gas constraints occasioned purely by demons blowing up pipelines everyday is the only reason Nigeria is still in darkness with less than 2000mw. A single large diameter pipeline (the escravos -Lagos line) supplies gas to all the largest power plants in the country. Since this year that pipeline has been blown countless times.

Any initiative to diversify power generation, even if it means a thousand 10mw plants is the way to go considering the peculiarities of the Nigerian situation.

17 Likes 3 Shares

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by amazingspiderma: 5:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
I stopped reading when I saw "Solar Power Purchase
Agreements (PPAs) ".
Since solar is abundantly available, they were supposed to sponsor or step up research institutes since the market for this opportunity is endless.

Whenever Nigerian government want to steal funds,the begin to purchases.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
obailala:
You should underatand that gas fired plants happen to be the cheapest source of power, this is the area Nigeria should concentrate on massively to first of all, achieve uninterrupted power supply before we start experimenting with the expensive renewable options. However, do you need to be reminded of the massive dissadvantage and setbacks of these gas plants in a jungle like Nigeria?

Like you rightly said, Nigeria has up to 7000mw intalled (and functional) capacity, gas constraints occasioned purely by demons blowing up pipelines everyday is the only reason Nigeria is still in darkness with less than 2000mw. A single large diameter pipeline (the escravos -Lagos line) supplies gas to all the largest power plants in the country. Since this year that pipeline has been blown countless times.

Any initiative to diversify power generation, even if it means a thousand 10mw plants is the way to go considering the peculiarities of the Nigerian situation.

Spoken.

1 Like

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 5:55pm On Jul 22, 2016
i agree with the thought process behind this project.But let's learn approve 10% first with purely indigenous techonology and skills so our grads can get to learn hands on skills about productivity rather than issue out another blank check to China,it will retain money in the system,provide jobs,provide power and we get to actually start up spometin ourselves

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Izontubo(m): 5:56pm On Jul 22, 2016
Very good....NDA helping this government think outside the box....very good

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by KingRex1(m): 5:58pm On Jul 22, 2016
Damn anything alternative power source is cool investment..

2 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by aresa: 6:00pm On Jul 22, 2016
amazingspiderma:
I stopped reading when I saw "Solar Power Purchase
Agreements (PPAs) ".
Since solar is abundantly available, they were supposed to sponsor or step up research institutes since the market for this opportunity is endless.

Whenever Nigerian government want to steal funds,the begin to purchases.

I don't even see any sense in this pointless post..

14 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Earth2Metahuman: 6:02pm On Jul 22, 2016
MasterJayJay:
with which money? grin

Shey ekiti state or ebonyi state with 80billion naira budget wan build 300billion power plant abi? grin

3 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by omonla555: 6:03pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:
smh...

is it that we lack understanding or the will power to make effective change

For God sakes who builds a 1125 MW plant with $1.75 billion?

You guys may see it as progress, but damn how much do you really know about power generation, its not about the number of stations, rather the capacity. These plants will not be able to deliver up to 45% of their rated capacity to the Grid...

the largest dam in world was built at a cost of $22.5 billion and it generates 22,500 MW of electricity, spare me all the bullshit of littering the whole country with mini-power plants...

build something tangible, power generation is not rocket science all it takes is just some level of responsiveness to the plight of your people

this is how they will keep on taking us for granted, if we just take anything they bring to our table without us questioning them

so much for change...

Mr man, what do you know about Electricity, generation, installation and distribution. If it is so easy, why is any of your family not known in this area? Please stop this your nonsense.

9 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Stanbeto: 6:03pm On Jul 22, 2016
I pray it will work o
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Izontubo(m): 6:04pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:
smh...

is it that we lack understanding or the will power to make effective change

For God sakes who builds a 1125 MW plant with $1.75 billion?

You guys may see it as progress, but damn how much do you really know about power generation, its not about the number of stations, rather the capacity. These plants will not be able to deliver up to 45% of their rated capacity to the Grid...

the largest dam in world was built at a cost of $22.5 billion and it generates 22,500 MW of electricity, spare me all the bullshit of littering the whole country with mini-power plants...

build something tangible, power generation is not rocket science all it takes is just some level of responsiveness to the plight of your people

this is how they will keep on taking us for granted, if we just take anything they bring to our table without us questioning them

so much for change...
just to allow states provide their own power sef na wahala...The whole country would have to wait for one SAN to provide light for us.... grin

Our leaders are absolutely daft...
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 6:05pm On Jul 22, 2016
supersystems:
i agree with the thought process behind this project.But let's learn approve 10% first with purely indigenous techonology and skills so our grads can get to learn hands on skills about productivity rather than issue out another blank check to China,it will retain money in the system,provide jobs,provide power and we get to actually start up spometin ourselves

Have you looked around you recently? The economy doesn't have that time. Graduates can learn maintenance first and production later.

That's a better development curve.

3 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Earth2Metahuman: 6:07pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

I'm with you on that one.

This was what Tinubu was trying to do in Lagos state when he constructed the first 271 MW IPP in nigeria, which is still active today, but who sabotaged and killed that concept? The same clueless, corrupt and destructive PDP/OBJ.

Imagine Lagos state today without that single interference and sabotage...
only Lagos can successfully build 1000mw station in this current Nigeria.

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by nextstep(m): 6:07pm On Jul 22, 2016
"Ouch!"

That was the sound of me falling out of my tree from laughing so hard. $1.75billion, on solar for 1125MW. I'm a *huuuge* fan of solar, but this effort might do us more harm than not. Let me see if I can explain in between stifling my laughter.

First, we know that 1/2 the money will just be eaten, so we're down to $875 million

Second, our minister has not yet learned to successfully manage the hydro and thermal plants we have on ground successfully, but rather than fixing the problem (underperforming plants, woeful grid, and ne'er do well vandals), we're pouring money down the drain on new infrastructure. I know some towns whose transformers have blown for years now.

Third, does this involve huge banks of battery banks or are we only going to see electricity when the sun is shining?

Fourth, solar needs a good amount of maintenance (cleaning the panels regularly, battery replacement) to continue to work. I'm sure there's no money in this budget for maintenance or replacement. How do we dispose of (or recycle) all the used batteries? Are we just going to dump all that lead in our ground, every 2-3 years?

Fifth, show me a government-provided solar installation that worked after six months.

Sixth, have we trained anybody local to install and maintain? Or are we going to see rusted pieces of metal in about 1-2 years time?

Seventh, how are we going to pay for all this? Is it loan, bonds, or existing cash? Will tariffs rise 3x?

Anyways, good job, looking forward to seeing it work, now back up the mango tree I go.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by amazingspiderma: 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

I don't even see any sense in this pointless post..
we should be making solar panel through research,or ask the companies to come and manufacture them here in Nigeria.

makes sense now.
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 6:08pm On Jul 22, 2016
greenpasture:

Have you looked around you recently? The economy doesn't have that time. Graduates can learn maintenance first and production later.

That's a better development curve.

Lol India South Korea closed their borders and learnt the hardway,when we break things down and do some reverse engineering yu'll be suprised we can do anything we wanna.Trust me,North Korea is a prime example.Did they put up bids for peoeple who can build solar panels and they didnt get.

Monocrystallite
Polycrystallite it's not hard.I've been understudying this in a while besides myself i've seen geniuses todoing well in mother land in this field bro

1 Like

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 6:10pm On Jul 22, 2016
I keep watching until when Nigerians stops disrespecting the ability of billions of naira. 1.75 billion? in dollars for that matter, for just such merger amount of MWatt?

kai fashola, please watch your mouth ooo
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Nobody: 6:12pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:

people come to Nairaland to display their ignorance all the time so please ignore the guy. There is no rigid template for electricity generation costs, they generally fall between a band of $1B-2 or more/1000MW it all depends on the type of plant being constructed, geography and other factors. For instance Nuclear energy has extremely high initial costs (the highest if I recall) but then your operasting costs are lower. Solar and wind have high initial costs because this is relatively new technology (especially solar) but as with new technologies the relative price drops as more and more people adopt. off shore wind farms is going to cost more than land based etc etc So only an ignoramus would take one price and apply it as a basis for comparison to all forms and make judgements.

Personally I was quite shocked it was that price as I expected it to be higher but I suspect and this is something I think people are ignoring....govt has hands offed Power generation so to the best of my knowledge, government is not spending any money....which probably explains why the price is what it is.

I wonder if the Op actually stopped to consider if the Govt is actually putting any money in this project before his rush to condemn? This is a business investing it's own money in a business venture, if they say it costs x, then it costs x because businesses are not in the habit of spending a penny more than they need to!!!!

6 Likes 2 Shares

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by locutas: 6:12pm On Jul 22, 2016
wristbangle:

God bless u. Intellectual finishing naim u give that guy

I beg to differ. "Intellectual finishing" adds no positive value to the Power Sector discussion. The article states (and I quote verbatim)

"The Federal Government on Thursday in Abuja signed a Front-Runner Solar Power Purchase Agreements (PPAs) worth 1.75 billion dollars with 14 companies to build 1125 Megawatts(MW) capacity of renewable power in the country."

The worth of a PPA does not directly translate to the cost of the Power Plant (or Plants in this case). The worth is typically the value of the revenue accruable from the tariff over the life of the PPA (typically 20 years). The article is misleading in my opinion; as is most information in the public space on the Power Sector.

The stated amount cannot be the value of the PPAs signed, and I am equally doubtful that it represents the full development cost of the Solar Plants (CAPEX, etc.).
Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by Ibudus: 6:12pm On Jul 22, 2016
sammydemperor:

Thanks

But the guy didnt say anything bad, but provided you with some facts. You asked, Who build...... With 1.75b USD. But in my view you should understand the direction of the govt. Before jumping. What they are trying to do is diversify...different sources of generation so we dont run into trouble when water run dry for instance. Am sure they are also putting some dams in order, just slow down and let the guys do the job. If they fail, we'll vote em out in 2019.

4 Likes

Re: Fashola. 14 Companies Partners FG On $1.75bn Solar Power Project. 1125MW by ThundrCork(m): 6:14pm On Jul 22, 2016
aresa:
$22.5 billion and it generates 22,500 MW of electricity = $1 Billion/1000 MW

Nigeria building 1125 MW solar plants for $1.75 Billion = $1 Billion/1000 MW

The argument you produced to badmouth Nigeria actually supported Nigeria because regardless how many MWs, we are still spending the same amount per MWs at $1000 Billion per MW.

How do you badmouth the same thing you are actually supporting with your own badmouthing?

Too many no elementary school education and olodo running around the internet ....

Dont mind him. his fingers are itchy to type. the olodo hasn't eaten today

3 Likes

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (Reply)

Abdulrashid Maina Swindled Sani Abacha Family / Update: Fuel Supply Situation Nationwide / Buhari To Participate In Peace Forum In France

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 72
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.