Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,152,409 members, 7,815,902 topics. Date: Thursday, 02 May 2024 at 08:34 PM

How Long Was The First Day Of Creation - Religion (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Religion / How Long Was The First Day Of Creation (2909 Views)

Reasons Why The First Day Of The Week, Sunday Is Important To Christians. / African/blackroots Science Religion. Science Of Creation. / Complete Story Of Creation: When did god create hell fire ? (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 6:52pm On Sep 20, 2009

Genesis 1

1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.

2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.

3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.

4 God saw that the light was good, and He separated the light from the darkness.

5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning—the first day

I dont know what your understanding of light is? Huh

Neither am I sure of your comprehension skills?

Doesn't it bother you that in the bible light is created before the stars and the sun ? Doesn't it bother you that in the bible the plants are created before the sun ? Where did the light come from ?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 6:54pm On Sep 20, 2009
Doesn't it bother you that in the bible light is created before the stars and the sun ? Doesn't it bother you that in the bible the plants are created before the sun ? Where did the light come from ?

The light came from yahweh's eyes. . .
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 7:10pm On Sep 20, 2009
@ Atheist

Bear in mind that all living things were created in mature form, including plant life. The 24 hour period had to be literal, or else life on earth would have been affected by extreme cold temperature, since cold is really an absence of heat.

The light energy that was put in place on day one served as energy for plant life even before the sun was put in place.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 7:13pm On Sep 20, 2009
Bear in mind that all living things were created in mature form, including plant life. The 24 hour period had to be literal, or else life on earth would have been affected by extreme cold temperature, since cold is really an absence of heat.

The light energy that was put in place on day one served as energy for plant life even before the sun was put in place.

Who created the creator ?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 7:30pm On Sep 20, 2009
Who created the creator ?

I am not in a position to say. grin

However I believe that the Mormons teach that our present God was created by a much bigger God. They believe in what is called "the evolution of God" because our present God was once a man who evolved into God over time.

Of course that is only a delusion on their part.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by KAG: 10:18pm On Sep 20, 2009
Tudór:

Box, carton or plate e no matter!
Whether literal or not literal no one cares. . . . The main thing is the ridiculous creation story is a MYTH therefore all LIES!

Myths are generally not lies - at least, technically. And they are certainly not all lies.

Bobbyaf:

@ Atheist

Um, I don't think you've thought it all the way through. Short of probably a few bacteria, no living thing on Earth can survive the type of cold caused by the lack of a sun for minutes, let alone twenty four hours. So, no, it doesn't have to be a literal twenty four hours, nor does anything have to be mature as they'd be dead in minutes anyway.

By the way, no, it isn't cold that is an absence of heat, it's heat that is an absence of coldness.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 3:12am On Sep 21, 2009
@ KAG

Um, I don't think you've thought it all the way through. Short of probably a few bacteria, no living thing on Earth can survive the type of cold caused by the lack of a sun for minutes, let alone twenty four hours. So, no, it doesn't have to be a literal twenty four hours, nor does anything have to be mature as they'd be dead in minutes anyway.

Exactly, and that is why I said that the initial light energy that God activated from the first day served to keep life forms before the sun was created on the 4th day.

By the way, no, it isn't cold that is an absence of heat, it's heat that is an absence of coldness.

No its the other way around. Heat energy is that phenomenon that moves back and forth in matter. Our perception of hot and cold is really a measure of the exchange of energy between objects. So in essence its always the absence of heat energy that creates cold conditions.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 4:09am On Sep 21, 2009
Exactly, and that is why I said that the initial light energy that God activated from the first day served to keep life forms before the sun was created on the 4th day.

What can be asserted without evidence can also be dismissed without evidence
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 4:53am On Sep 21, 2009
What can be asserted without evidence can also  be dismissed without evidence

Does the same apply to the Koran as well? I am sure you accept the word of the Koran by faith. Should we dismiss what your understanding of the origins of life is based on the Koran?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 5:03am On Sep 21, 2009
Does the same apply to the Koran as well? I am sure you accept the word of the Koran by faith. Should we dismiss what your understanding of the origins of life is based on the Koran?

It applies to all religions
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 5:59am On Sep 21, 2009
Then again absence of proof doesn't mean proof of absence. Christians may not be able to prove how God created, or to provide empirical evidence of creative acts, but the life forms themselves, and the order in which life operates, even at the cellular level makes one wonders.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 6:36am On Sep 21, 2009
Then again absence of proof doesn't mean proof of absence. Christians may not be able to prove how God created, or to provide empirical evidence of creative acts, but the life forms themselves, and the order in which life operates, even at the cellular level makes one wonders.

So because you can't explain the complexity of life you have to attribute to god ? Typical god of the gaps argument.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 7:09am On Sep 21, 2009
So because you can't explain the complexity of life you have to attribute to god ? Typical god of the gaps argument.

Thats a different story. When I peer into a microscope I can. Each time I reread my biochem text, or keep myself abreast as to the latest research, I am able to understand the intricacies of the basic unit of life called the cell. And you know what I walk away still believing that the creation story sounds much more plausible than the TOE.

I walk away saying to myself that someone with a superior intelligence had to have made life with its orderly and structured systems.

Honestly it requires more faith to grasp the TOE than it does to grasp the creation story.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Atheists: 7:34am On Sep 21, 2009
Thats a different story. When I peer into a microscope I can. Each time I reread my biochem text, or keep myself abreast as to the latest research, I am able to understand the intricacies of the basic unit of life called the cell. And you know what I walk away still believing that the creation story sounds much more plausible than the TOE.

I walk away saying to myself that someone with a superior intelligence had to have made life with its orderly and structured systems.

Honestly it requires more faith to grasp the TOE than it does to grasp the creation story.

Do you believe in evolution ? Do you believe in the big band theory ?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Tudor6(f): 7:35am On Sep 21, 2009
Bobbyaf:

So you basically believe creation by faith no basis whatsoever other than because a dead tribal leader called moses said so?
I guess its also by faith you believe it to be yahweh who created the world instead of zeus or allah right?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 8:37am On Sep 21, 2009
Even if Moses didn't say so logics alone would have forced me to reject the TOE. It just doesn't make any sense at all. I see life the exact way the creation story portrays it. It hasn't changed.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 8:43am On Sep 21, 2009
Do you believe in evolution ? Do you believe in the big band theory ?

grin You really have a heart to ask that of me. By the way that big bang theory has been an embarrassment to the same scientists who believed in it. Or haven't you been aware that it is no longer held as a scientific point of view.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Tudor6(f): 9:19am On Sep 21, 2009
Bobbyaf:

Even if Moses didn't say so logics alone would have forced me to reject the TOE. It just doesn't make any sense at all. I see life the exact way the creation story portrays it. It hasn't changed.
I keep telling you to stop looking at it like it must be either creation or evolution. . .both can be wrong you know. . .
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 9:21am On Sep 21, 2009
Well, what is the new theory then? There has to be an explanation.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Tudor6(f): 9:30am On Sep 21, 2009
Bobbyaf:

grin You really have a heart to ask that of me. By the way that big bang theory has been an embarrassment to the same scientists who believed in it. Or haven't you been aware that it is no longer held as a scientific point of view.

And believing some magician spoke the world into existence then displayed some Ben enwonwu skill and moulded man from clay the blew some heavy breeze like superman and gave him life. . .WTF?
If that isn't embarrassing then i don't know what.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Nobody: 3:41pm On Sep 21, 2009
Atheists:

i hope you're aware there are plants which grow in the absence of sunlight?

Many of you atheists seem to trot out old outdated arguments withuot bothering to look at new discoveries being churned out by the day.

There's plant and animal life in deep sea vents which grow without oxygen or light.

here's the big bang theory model (an artist's impression):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Universe_expansion2.png

and do you see the lights before the individual galaxies and suns?

does it negate Gen 1? Not in my opinion.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Tudor6(f): 3:49pm On Sep 21, 2009
^^
I guess the artist was there when the big bang occurred to accurately depict it, right?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Nobody: 3:59pm On Sep 21, 2009
Tudór:

^^
I guess the artist was there when the big bang occurred to accurately depict it, right?

the big bang theory model
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Tudor6(f): 4:19pm On Sep 21, 2009
How accurate is this "model" painting?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Tudor6(f): 4:21pm On Sep 21, 2009
How accurate is this "model" painting?
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Nobody: 4:41pm On Sep 21, 2009
formation of an infant galaxy- hope you can see plenty of light but no sun yet in this picture

The majority of mass in galaxies is made up of dark matter, a substance which is not directly observable, and does not interact through any means except gravity

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Galaxy_formation

warped galaxy (where's the sun here- still being formed?)

another galaxy:

Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Nobody: 4:49pm On Sep 21, 2009
Crab Nebula (no sun)

A supernova (pl. supernovae) is a stellar explosion. Supernovae are extremely luminous and cause a burst of radiation that often briefly outshines an entire galaxy, before fading from view over several weeks or months. During this short interval, a supernova can radiate as much energy as the Sun could emit over its life span

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Supernova

Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Bobbyaf(m): 4:49pm On Sep 21, 2009
And believing some magician spoke the world into existence then displayed some Ben enwonwu skill and moulded man from clay the blew some heavy breeze like superman and gave him life. . .WTF?
If that isn't embarrassing then i don't know what.

What is your idea then? If you do not have an idea as to how life began then why argue against another's perception.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 4:52pm On Sep 21, 2009
@tpia

Do you understand what you are saying or trying to illustrate? You are just comparing apples to oranges. . . The bible talks about the creation of the earth before the creation of other things in the universe. . .according to the bible god created the earth first before creating any other thing. . .Even the big bang model you are trying to use to buttress your point does NOT agree with this. . .  

Your pictures show that stars are first created before planets. . .the bible says that the earth was first created before the sun and the stars. . .
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by Nobody: 4:53pm On Sep 21, 2009
mazaje:

@tpia

Do you understand what you are saying or trying to illustrate? You are just comparing apples to oranges. . . The bible talks about the creation of the earth before the creation of other things in the universe. . .according to the bible god created the earth first before creating any other thing. . .Even the big bang model you are trying to use to buttress your point does NOT agree with this. . . 

Your pictures show that stars are first created before planets. . .the bible says that the earth was first created before the sun and the stars. . .

kindly reread the posts in question but this time with your eyes open.

We've gone over this before but your pride wont let you reason.
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by mazaje(m): 4:58pm On Sep 21, 2009
tpia.:

kindly reread the posts in question but this time with your eyes open.

We've gone over this before but your pride wont let you reason.

Which pride exactly are you talking about. . .

Gen1:1 In the beginning God created the heavens and the earth.
Gen1:2 Now the earth was formless and empty, darkness was over the surface of the deep, and the Spirit of God was hovering over the waters.
Gen 1:3 And God said, "Let there be light," and there was light.
Gen1:4 God saw that the light was good, and he separated the light from the darkness.
Gen1:5 God called the light "day," and the darkness he called "night." And there was evening, and there was morning--the first day.
Gen1:6 And God said, "Let there be an expanse between the waters to separate water from water."
Gen1:7 So God made the expanse and separated the water under the expanse from the water above it. And it was so. . . . . ,  . . .Gen 1:16 God made two great lights--the greater light to govern the day and the lesser light to govern the night. He also made the stars.
Gen 1:17  God set them in the expanse of the sky to give light on the earth,
Gen 1:18 to govern the day and the night, and to separate light from darkness. And God saw that it was good.
Gen 1:19 And there was evening, and there was morning--the fourth day.

According to the 6 day creation account the earth was already in existence before the biblegod created the stars and the sun on the 4th day. . .why then  are you comparing this account to the big bang. . . I am not saying that the big bang is true but they are NOT the same thing because the two accounts are different. . .The big bang lays more emphasis on the creation of the universe as a whole. . the creation account in genesis talks about the creation of the earth and talks very little about the creation of the stars. . it does not even talk about the creation of other planets and other planetary bodies. . .
Re: How Long Was The First Day Of Creation by huxley(m): 5:11pm On Sep 21, 2009
tpia.:

i hope you're aware there are plants which grow in the absence of sunlight?

Many of you atheists seem to trot out old outdated arguments withuot bothering to look at new discoveries being churned out by the day.

There's plant and animal life in deep sea vents which grow without oxygen or light.

here's the big bang theory model (an artist's impression):

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/File:Universe_expansion2.png

and do you see the lights before the individual galaxies and suns?

does it negate Gen 1? Not in my opinion.

OK, you think the Genesis cosmology is in accord with modern day cosmology?  Let's examine the Genesis narrative:

In Genesis, the Sun was not  created until the 4 day; if this is true then you have to explain the following:

1)   The concept of day/night does NOT make sense except in the light (pun intended) of a source of light which periodically bathes the earth.  If there was no Sun, our source of light, then there would never have been a day nor a night.  So talking of day/night makes no sense in the absense of the sun.

2)   The Sun is not only the source of light, it is also the centre of attraction of all planets in the solar system.  If god created the earth before the sun, this would suggest that the earth was never in an orbit but must have been travelling in a non-orbitary trajectory, or was stationary.  As far as I know, there is no modern cosmological theory that accounts for stationary planets, or for planets forming prior to their stars.  So Genesis violates the most basic of modern cosmology.

For you to attempt to reconcile Genesis with modern cosmology/astronomy without realising these issues is either gross ignorance on your part, or willful ignorance, or sheer dishonesty.

(1) (2) (3) (Reply)

When Will The Jews Accept Jesus? / See How A Pastor's Wife Expose Her Boobs Cheaply [photos] / Was Solomon Saved?

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 82
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.