Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,150,693 members, 7,809,619 topics. Date: Friday, 26 April 2024 at 12:02 PM

African American Traveling To Nigeria - Travel - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / African American Traveling To Nigeria (940 Views)

Nigerian Citizenship For An African American / Traveling To Ireland Dublin For Studies / Traveling To Ghana Via Abc Transport (2) (3) (4)

(1) (Reply) (Go Down)

African American Traveling To Nigeria by Konadub: 8:46pm On Sep 17, 2009
I'm a university student at the end of my studies and has always wanted to travel to West Africa. So, I will do so in the summer of 2010. I will start in Senegal and continue to south along the West African Coast(Skipping some areas of course). I initially considered traveling by Bus, but traveling through so many countries on bus wouldn't be the smartest thing in terms of safety(robbery, 100s of check points) and time wasted. So, I'll probably travel to 2-3 Countries in West Africa via plane and stay about 1 month.

What I came here for is to ask some of you who currently live in Nigerian and outside to offer advice on where to go and visit. My best friend is Nigerian and lives in Abuja at the moment and has given me some advice(which was come stay with me lol). And some of my other Nigerian friends in the states who have not even been to Nigeria have made suggestions.

I wanted a wider range advice on where I should travel(nightlife, slave ports, restaurants, etc)?

Thanks in Advance for the suggestions.
Re: African American Traveling To Nigeria by Gamine(f): 1:15am On Sep 18, 2009
Why dont you go to your friend's and take it from there undecided
Re: African American Traveling To Nigeria by Konadub: 1:24am On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine:

Why dont you go to your friend's and take it from there undecided

I will most likely visit my friend, but don't want to be limited to one area of the country. And I was also getting a wider range of suggestions.
Re: African American Traveling To Nigeria by Gamine(f): 1:53am On Sep 18, 2009
Well, err. .

it depends on how you want to travel.

Night life, the best bet is Lagos
Abuja is safer, not as exciting though.
You can also visit Calabar, the Obudu ranch resort

Slave port? even i, have never been to any slave port
but they are in Badagry, Lagos

Restaurants, plenty plenty. .so many, italian, chinese, indian, Nigerian ofcos.

Check out this blog about living in Nigeria,
from an expat's view

http://newhomeinlagos..com
Re: African American Traveling To Nigeria by Konadub: 2:27am On Sep 18, 2009
Thanks alot, a quick question, I'll probably be revisiting London before and I know a lot of Nigerians reside in london, but are the airfare prices cheaper there or in other European countries?
Re: African American Traveling To Nigeria by Gamine(f): 2:32am On Sep 18, 2009
Airfare to Nigeria?
i thought you wanted to go to Senegal,
Anyway at this time of the year, airfare would be relatively cheap.
Re: African American Traveling To Nigeria by Konadub: 3:19am On Sep 18, 2009
Gamine:

Airfare to Nigeria?
i thought you wanted to go to Senegal,
Anyway at this time of the year, airfare would be relatively cheap.

The itinerary is not written in stone but the destination is,
Re: African American Traveling To Nigeria by Delta007(m): 2:27pm On Sep 18, 2009
Konadub, if you can convince your Nigerian/African friend to go with you, you'd be better off touring those regions with him/her. Just my 2 cents!
Re: African American Traveling To Nigeria by Konadub: 3:40pm On Sep 18, 2009
Delta007:

Konadub, if you can convince your Nigerian/African friend to go with you, you'd be better off touring those regions with him/her. Just my 2 cents!

Yeah, that is definitely a possibility, but why you suggest that?
Re: African American Traveling To Nigeria by Gamine(f): 3:44pm On Sep 18, 2009
I dont really think that needs an explanation undecided undecided undecided
Re: African American Traveling To Nigeria by Delta007(m): 4:17pm On Sep 18, 2009
Konadub:

Yeah, that is definitely a possibility, but why you suggest that?
Travelling around most parts of Africa is not exactly same as travelling around Europe or America. The "terrains" are different; and if you want the best out of your trip, take someone that is familiar with the "terrain".

(1) (Reply)

Travelling To Sweden / Eating Of Blacks In Thailand / Finding Work In Norway

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 25
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.