Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,693 members, 7,831,148 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 02:29 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (118) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (676000 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by cuspy(m): 12:06pm On Oct 08, 2016
happyday:

As for VO, you enjoy 'somethings' about SUNY. And SUNY happens to be in New York. That's all.

And, have you tried to contact any prof in either school? They use those questions to determine applicant's research potential or achievement. Display either of these, and you're game. Plus you stand a better chance of a prof fighting for your case, if you can see one to rapport with during application.

I really appreciate your response bro.
Getting a prof to rapport with should be my next hustle now.
Thank you.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 12:07pm On Oct 08, 2016
kenniez26:
Walspring please I might be interested in the flight discount please

Noted sir!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 12:07pm On Oct 08, 2016
gentledoj:

Am interested.....

Nigeria to Atlanta (USA)

Roger that sir!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 12:08pm On Oct 08, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Isn't there SAT every month ....so if you missed Nov there is December. Also registration for Nov is still possible but with a late registration fee .

Check your pm
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by happyday: 12:36pm On Oct 08, 2016
cuspy:

I really appreciate your response bro.
Getting a prof to rapport with should be my next hustle now.
Thank you.
Let's thank God.

Send an email to the grad program co-ordinator with your profile, well articulated. S/he should be able to tell you if there are funding positions, or direct you to those who can tell you.

Attach your scores (GRE + transcripts). Talk about his/her research area, and indicate interest (that's if you like it).

And don't mention anything about money or funding.

You want to know if the department is looking in the direction of your research interest(s).

1 Like 1 Share

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by happyday: 12:44pm On Oct 08, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Isn't there SAT every month ....so if you missed Nov there is December. Also registration for Nov is still possible but with a late registration fee .
Abi o, unlike 'JAMB'. Let him start preparing now for a December test date. We have October 1, November 5 and December 3, 2016 test dates. And January 21, 2017 is even there.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by nifjay(f): 2:45pm On Oct 08, 2016
Hello guys/ladies,
I'm quite new on this forum and would need some help. Im currently in the middle of an admission process for a Spring 2017 graduate program at Bowie State University in Maryland. My main challenge now is accommodation. I heard accommodation on campus is very expensive and one won't be allowed to stay there when the school is on break. I would appreciate any assistance / advise. I've never been out of Nigeria before.
PS. I'm a married woman with children, though they won't be coming with me.

Thanks

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 3:41pm On Oct 08, 2016
Congrats bro ThreadsAdeleke
E don tay o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 3:44pm On Oct 08, 2016
nifjay:
Hello guys/ladies,
I'm quite new on this forum and would need some help. Im currently in the middle of an admission process for a Spring 2017 graduate program at Bowie State University in Maryland. My main challenge now is accommodation. I heard accommodation on campus is very expensive and one won't be allowed to stay there when the school is on break. I would appreciate any assistance / advise. I've never been out of Nigeria before.

Thanks
Accommodation shouldn't be a challenge.
Get admission first,try use LinkedIn to search for people in your school especially Nigerians. Your settling down would be super easy

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 3:45pm On Oct 08, 2016
Walspring:

Roger that sir!
You don turn wakanow agent
Abi you buy presidential jetgrin

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 4:11pm On Oct 08, 2016
OluDare01:

You don turn wakanow agent
Abi you buy presidential jetgrin

I be won ask ooo.... hats with many feathers abi folds. Which one Pastor Walspring.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by thacokeboy: 4:20pm On Oct 08, 2016
OluDare01:

Accommodation shouldn't be a challenge.
Get admission first,try use LinkedIn to search for people in your school especially Nigerians. Your settling down would be super easy
. yeah it's true
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by djmakson(m): 4:49pm On Oct 08, 2016
tomisinobbm:
Hello house,
Does the 20 hours weekly employment condition hold on when school is in session?
Can it be more during holidays?

Thank you.

Basically you can work 40 hours on campus during holidays. But then it largely depends on work availability.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 4:57pm On Oct 08, 2016
LagosismyHome:

The problem with helping is that Sat is just the beginning with many other steps even after Visa u still have ticket and others .....so SAT is one of the lowest cost...so even if someone helps for SAT what of the other cost ahead .
LOL, Nairaland is now a platform where anything goes.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by AJANIEmmanuel78(m): 5:00pm On Oct 08, 2016
Travelex, a global foreign exchange dealer, on Friday resumed sale of dollars directly to travellers at N356 to a dollar.
The firm’s office inside the Murtala Muhammed International Airport, Lagos terminal was besieged by hundreds of travellers.
Some Bureaux de change operators within the terminal were also selling from N470 to N472 to a dollar to travellers.
Travelex, which recently got the approval of the Central Bank of Nigeria (CBN) to sell dollar, however, gave stringent conditions for the transaction.
The requirements include presentation of valid international passport, visa to destination, Biometric Verification Number (BVN) card, airline boarding pass and signed copy of transaction.
Naira-Dollar
The firm also directed that cash would only be handed over to the traveller at the boarding gate after security and immigration checks.
According to the firm, these conditions are to ensure that dollar is sold to only genuine travellers, and discourage racketeering.
Consequently, some of the travellers were unable to buy dollars from Travelex because they could not produce their BVN cards.
One of them, Mr Uche Ikediashi, stated that he was hearing about the card for the first time.
“Yesterday I bought dollars from a BDC at N470. Today I was told that Travelex is selling at N356; that is why I came here, but they said I needed to bring my BVN card and I don’t have it,’’ he said.
Another traveller, Mr Samson Uduak, commended the CBN for the initiative which, he said, had created easy access to forex for travellers.
Uduak said: “Buying directly from Travelex is very good but the CBN needs to sensitise Nigerians to go and obtain their BVN cards from

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by akaymotus: 5:30pm On Oct 08, 2016
Dear lagosismyhome, walspring, Oludare1 and other gurus in the house, thanks for the great job you guys are doing on here.

Please I am to resume on the third of January, 2017 ( School is in fort lauderdale, FL).

I intend to leave Nigeria with my wife towards the last week in December , we are presently thinking of booking our flight to JFK then a bus to Fort lauderdale FL. However my friend keep saying the journey will be too long and we might not enjoy it but from our own calculation, we will be saving close to 150k NGN.

Now my questions:

1. Do you think taking a bus is a bad idea?
2. From JFK how do we locate greyhound bus station and how do we get to this location?
3. Is it okay to travel on the 29th of Dec if I'm resuming Jan 3?

Lastly, walspring please I am interested in the discounted flight plan.

Thank you all.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neurosci: 5:35pm On Oct 08, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neurosci: 5:45pm On Oct 08, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 6:03pm On Oct 08, 2016
akaymotus
If you wanna do greyhound, kindly travel a week before resumption. Mehn that your journey no be here o grin.
From New York to Richmond,Virginia. You go come get stopover before you head to Florida na die o. Come to think of it na during winter,I won't advice you to do that.
But if you wan do am,greyhound station go dey your ticket na you should be able to navigate your way through.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 6:05pm On Oct 08, 2016
neurosci:
Guys, I'm new here. I'm going in for undergraduate program next fall but I have a HUGE challenge!!!

My school is asking me to tell my secondary school to send my official transcript to them. However, considering that we don't use high school transcript for Nigeria university admission and it's been many years since I left high school and I attended a local high school that is not vast in foreign admission policies, I'm unable to get my transcript.

So, guys pls what should I do? Can't those US schools just accept WAEC results?
Oga high school transcript is your result from SS1-3, una no dey collect report card
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by midps007(m): 6:08pm On Oct 08, 2016
Hello house, I have plans of travelling to US for my masters degree, pls kindly list universities that admits without toefl.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neurosci: 6:10pm On Oct 08, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 6:20pm On Oct 08, 2016
neurosci:

Yes, boss. I have those paper results. But they are asking for the same results, officially sealed and mailed to them directly from my high school. I no longer know anyone in my high school, and the ones there now seem not to have my time.
They should have your result in their file.
It is your SS1-3 results carefully typed and sent in a sealed envelope from your school.
Talk to your school principal
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neurosci: 6:23pm On Oct 08, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by sofadj(m): 6:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
nifjay:
Hello guys/ladies,

Thanks

Accommodation is not so much of a big deal. Most Nigerians do not stay in school apartments, you can always get a place off-campus.
Your school should provide means of offcampus apartment, but even if they don't, you can get pple to find for you.

Get admission and VISA first then start worrying about where to stay.
I currently stay in Bowie and may be able to help when you get to that stage.
PS: Bowie State University has plenty blacks and Nigerians. You should be fine. Bowie is a relatively cheap city too.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by mrjojo: 6:29pm On Oct 08, 2016
neurosci:

That exactly is the problem. I'm not in tune with the current principal.
bros,you better fine tune ur relationship,with some notes,(the naija way) you will be fine

2 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neurosci: 6:40pm On Oct 08, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Christian129(m): 6:53pm On Oct 08, 2016
Please can you change your program from masters to PhD after getting admitted into the University? Abeg help o
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by happyday: 7:10pm On Oct 08, 2016
neurosci:

True. But how about those who didn't attend secondary school? For example one of my friends dropped out in SSS1, due to illness and took private lessons then wrote WAEC GCE in a special centre. Today, he's a graduate. Assuming he wanted to go to the US nko?

As for your own, you don't need to be 'in tune' with the principal to get what you want. Haven't you needed something badly from a total stranger on the road, and then got it?

Just walk up to the principal's office, introduce yourself, make him feel comfortable, and present your case. Very simple matter. Even if na enemy of progress, you can make his day with some jokes and chilled drinks to step down. Before you know it, his teachers would be running upandan on top your matter. You can later send him something to appreciate later. It's not bribery, it's called appreciation.

Transcript even small? What if the US school wants letters of recommendation from your school? You're telling me you won't get it done?

And as for your friend, if he truly wants to further, I kid you not, he'll find a way, trust me. Guys have done way harder things.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by happyday: 7:12pm On Oct 08, 2016
Christian129:
Please can you change your program from masters to PhD after getting admitted into the University? Abeg help o
You mean even before you start your first semester? The question is why? It would be stressful on the part of the department to do that for you. So you had better be ready to make it worth their while.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Christian129(m): 7:23pm On Oct 08, 2016
happyday:

You mean even before you start your first semester? The question is why? It would be stressful on the part of the department to do that for you. So you had better be ready to make it worth their while.
noooooo, like immediately after you are notified if admission in order to receive funding.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by larmeedeh: 7:24pm On Oct 08, 2016
neurosci:

True. But how about those who didn't attend secondary school? For example one of my friends dropped out in SSS1, due to illness and took private lessons then wrote WAEC GCE in a special centre. Today, he's a graduate. Assuming he wanted to go to the US nko?
go to your school guiding and counselling unit, moreover some schools don't require transcript.
I got mine from my school a public school no stress , just collation of your ss1-3 subjects n scores .

(1) (2) (3) ... (115) (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

Viewing this topic: 1 guest(s)

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 49
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.