Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,156,701 members, 7,831,189 topics. Date: Friday, 17 May 2024 at 03:08 PM

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 - Travel (119) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Travel / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 (676015 Views)

General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 13 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 12 / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 11 (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (405) (Go Down)

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by midps007(m): 7:31pm On Oct 08, 2016
midps007:
Hello house, I have plans of travelling to US for my masters degree, pls kindly list universities that admits without toefl.
I need answers urgently pls
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 7:35pm On Oct 08, 2016
happyday:

As for your own, you don't need to be 'in tune' with the principal to get what you want. Haven't you needed something badly from a total stranger on the road, and then got it?

Just walk up to the principal's office, introduce yourself, make him feel comfortable, and present your case. Very simple matter. Even if na enemy of progress, you can make his day with some jokes and chilled drinks to step down. Before you know it, his teachers would be running upandan on top your matter. You can later send him something to appreciate later. It's not bribery, it's called appreciation.

Transcript even small? What if the US school wants letters of recommendation from your school? You're telling me you won't get it done?

And as for your friend, if he truly wants to further, I kid you not, he'll find a way, trust me. Guys have done way harder things.

FAM, tell him.
I paid for every single document I had to collect. 1k flat each, transcript, testimonial, reference letter, etc.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by happyday: 7:43pm On Oct 08, 2016
Christian129:
noooooo, like immediately after you are notified if admission in order to receive funding.
Hmm, they would see through the smoke screen you're trying to pull. And more often than not, PhD slots get filled up quicker for the same reason (money), and they most likely won't accept. Instead of that, you can email or call the grad co-ordinator telling him/her your condition. Copy your proposed advisor too, if you have one already. There's no harm in asking. If you're denied, life goes on.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by sunboy(m): 7:47pm On Oct 08, 2016
neurosci:
@sunboy I need to talk to you. Should I PM you or your whatsapp?

My contact in signature sir!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by happyday: 7:54pm On Oct 08, 2016
midps007:
I need answers urgently pls
In theory, schools will tell you non-native speakers or students from ESL countries must write TOEFL. That's the default. However, if you can prove to them during your application that you've got a good grasp of English language, in the areas of Reading (GRE verbal can cover you for this), Writing (in your email interactions with faculty members), Speaking (during a Skype interview) and Listening (see Speaking), then there's caveat they can use to bail you out.

If you'd like them to waive TOEFL for you, and they feel you're up to par in most those areas I mentioned, they would oblige because, "you've completed a post-secondary education from an institution where English is the primary language of instruction."

But, to be on the safer side, especially for Teaching Assistantship slots, you might need to write it.

So, feel free to apply. If your profile is good all round, they most likely won't deny you cos of TOEFL.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by youngmoney416: 7:57pm On Oct 08, 2016
LagosismyHome:

Isn't there SAT every month ....so if you missed Nov there is December. Also registration for Nov is still possible but with a late registration fee .
Nigeria is excluded in the late registration, am thinking chosing ghana as my exam centre but that increased the fee from $80 to $91. Wallspring was at the verge of paying only to find out I didn't fill all my details including passport photo. He was really patient with me, I must commend him on that. I wasn't meticulous enough and I have really learnt my lessons. My Advice to everyone is to prepare not fail even though there is still hope for me. Thank you all once again for your concern.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by worry359(m): 7:59pm On Oct 08, 2016
Christian129:
noooooo, like immediately after you are notified if admission in order to receive funding.

They may have granted admission for masters, but that is no guarantee of a place for PhD.
They may just refuse admission.

If you want PhD best apply for it.

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by akaymotus: 8:09pm On Oct 08, 2016
OluDare01:
akaymotus
If you wanna do greyhound, kindly travel a week before resumption. Mehn that your journey no be here o grin.
From New York to Richmond,Virginia. You go come get stopover before you head to Florida na die o. Come to think of it na during winter,I won't advice you to do that.
But if you wan do am,greyhound station go dey your ticket na you should be able to navigate your way through.

Thanks Oludare01....thanks for d info.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 8:12pm On Oct 08, 2016
Any one in or has experience with University of Arkansas at Little Rock ?
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neurosci: 8:15pm On Oct 08, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 8:16pm On Oct 08, 2016
akaymotus:

Thanks Oludare01....thanks for d info.
you welcome bro. I did something like that bro. 22hrs from NY to TN to save money.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by SCHOOLBUOY(m): 8:33pm On Oct 08, 2016
PLEASE SIR/MA

I'M PLANNING ON STUDYING IN US....BUT THE PERSON SPONSORING ME IS MY AUNT AND SHE STAYS IN US.......HOPE THIS WONT BE A PROBLEM........

SECONDLY......PLEASE HOW DO I PROVE TO THE CONSULTANT THAT I WILL COME HOME AFTER STUDYING....

PLEASE,IT MIGHT FIRST TIME....NEED YOU ALL HELP TO MAKE IT SUCCESSFUL
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neurosci: 8:33pm On Oct 08, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by happyday: 8:38pm On Oct 08, 2016
neurosci:

Bro, trust me. That your last paragraph is what I need most; I really can't explain what's between that principal and me. It's worse than you think.
What I want you to do is this: assume that I am in the shoes of that my imaginary friend(mine is worse really), what would be your advice for me on the harder thing I could do? Forge?
In that case, the way out is to contact the undergraduate admissions co-ordinator in the school. Prepare to keep sending emails till s/he replies. Cos they get a whole lot of emails.

In short, what you've done is what they call 'Home schooling.' You schooled yourself at home. Give a candid reason why you left school at the time you did. It may be that you felt the education in your school at the time was not up to par. May be the curriculum, the fees, or like you cited here, ill-health. Tell them the level at which you dropped, and show them the results up to that point. And that from there, you gathered materials and studied to stupor!

If anything, it shows you have initiative, took responsibility for your education and that you're mostly self-driven, which counts for something substantial in US undergrad admissions.

You might also want to search for the home school link on the school's website. Or Google "name of school + home school + admissions." You will get enough info on what you need, and you can take it up from there with the co-ordinator.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neurosci: 8:53pm On Oct 08, 2016
happyday:

In that case, the way out is to contact the undergraduate admissions co-ordinator in the school. Prepare to keep sending emails till s/he replies. Cos they get a whole lot of emails.

In short, what you've done is what they call 'Home schooling.' You schooled yourself at home. Give a candid reason why you left school at the time you did. It may be that you felt the education in your school at the time was not up to par. May be the curriculum, the fees, or like you cited here, ill-health. Tell them the level at which you dropped, and show them the results up to that point. And that from there, you gathered materials and studied to stupor!

If anything, it shows you have initiative, took responsibility for your education and that you're mostly self-driven, which counts for something substantial in US undergrad admissions.

You might also want to search for the home school link on the school's website. Or Google "name of school + home school + admissions." You will get enough info on what you need, and you can take it up from there with the co-ordinator.

Thanks so much!
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neurosci: 8:57pm On Oct 08, 2016
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by larmeedeh: 9:16pm On Oct 08, 2016
neurosci:

Thanks, sir. But pls can you kindly give me a list of those schools that don't accept transcript 'cos I've been searching for a long time now.
SAU
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 9:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
OluDare01:

You don turn wakanow agent
Abi you buy presidential jetgrin

Nah both with IATA too and make dem approve am I dey wait for.. gringringrin

LagosismyHome:

I be won ask ooo.... hats with many feathers abi folds. Which one Pastor Walspring.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 9:35pm On Oct 08, 2016
OluDare01:

They should have your result in their file.
It is your SS1-3 results carefully typed and sent in a sealed envelope from your school.
Talk to your school principal

What is the name of your secondary school
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Walspring: 9:35pm On Oct 08, 2016
neurosci:

True. But how about those who didn't attend secondary school? For example one of my friends dropped out in SSS1, due to illness and took private lessons then wrote WAEC GCE in a special centre. Today, he's a graduate. Assuming he wanted to go to the US nko?

In a case and situation like this the university transcript is what the school will ask for..
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by SCHOOLBUOY(m): 9:45pm On Oct 08, 2016
SCHOOLBUOY:
PLEASE SIR/MA

I'M PLANNING ON STUDYING IN US....BUT THE PERSON SPONSORING ME IS MY AUNT AND SHE STAYS IN US.......HOPE THIS WONT BE A PROBLEM........

SECONDLY......PLEASE HOW DO I PROVE TO THE CONSULTANT THAT I WILL COME HOME AFTER STUDYING....

PLEASE,IT MIGHT FIRST TIME....NEED YOU ALL HELP TO MAKE IT SUCCESSFUL
PLEASE I NEED ANSWERS TO MY QUESTION. ..I BEG OF YOU.....
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by neurosci: 9:51pm On Oct 08, 2016
Walspring:

In a case and situation like this the university transcript is what the school will ask for..

He's going for undergraduate, not postgraduate.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 11:22pm On Oct 08, 2016
OluDare01:

you welcome bro. I did something like that bro. 22hrs from NY to TN to save money.
we plenty wey do am. I didnt even feel any stress. I slept like crazy,
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by akaymotus: 11:28pm On Oct 08, 2016
femi321:

I guess I might have to do same, to save some money lol.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 11:30pm On Oct 08, 2016
Walspring:

What is the name of your secondary school
No be me na
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by OluDare01(m): 11:34pm On Oct 08, 2016
femi321:
grin grin
akaymotus:

Sha buy winter wear from Nigeria
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Christian129(m): 11:53pm On Oct 08, 2016
happyday:

Hmm, they would see through the smoke screen you're trying to pull. And more often than not, PhD slots get filled up quicker for the same reason (money), and they most likely won't accept. Instead of that, you can email or call the grad co-ordinator telling him/her your condition. Copy your proposed advisor too, if you have one already. There's no harm in asking. If you're denied, life goes on.
Thank you very much mr/miss/Mrs happy day. I'd do them a mail instead. God bless you. I'd let you know how this pans out.
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 12:12am On Oct 09, 2016
akaymotus:

Dear lagosismyhome, walspring, Oludare1 and other gurus in the house, thanks for the great job you guys are doing on here.

Please I am to resume on the third of January, 2017 ( School is in fort lauderdale, FL).

I intend to leave Nigeria with my wife towards the last week in December , we are presently thinking of booking our flight to JFK then a bus to Fort lauderdale FL. However my friend keep saying the journey will be too long and we might not enjoy it but from our own calculation, we will be saving close to 150k NGN.

Now my questions:

1. Do you think taking a bus is a bad idea?
2. From JFK how do we locate greyhound bus station and how do we get to this location?
3. Is it okay to travel on the 29th of Dec if I'm resuming Jan 3?

Lastly, walspring please I am interested in the discounted flight plan.

Thank you all.

taking a Greyhound depends on your pocket, as for me I took Greyhound from JFK after a 29hrs flight, slept in newyork overnight then took Greyhound to Charlotte in NC about 17hrs...you will get a train from Jfk to 42nd street where the Greyhound bus station is.

Step 1: take the Airtrain from jfk terminal to Jamaica Station. Please listen for the anouncement "Station D: Jamaica Station."

Step 2: at Jamaica Station, purchase a $7 MetroCard from the MetroCard Vending Machine, and exit the Airtrain system into Jamaica Station. Five dollars will be deducted from the MetroCard, when exiting the Airtrain system. The remaining $2 will use for the subway.

Step 3: follow the direction signs to the New sub way. Upon entering the subway, take the Manhattan-bound (westbound) "E" express train (Blue Line on the map) from Sutphin Blvd-JFK/Jamaica Station to 42nd Street-Port Authority Bus Terminal.

Step 4: at the Port Authority Bus Terminal, exit the subway into the bus terminal. The Greyhound ticket counter, is right next door to the subway entrance.

I hope this information is very helpful. its easy, just ask questions.

3 Likes

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by Nobody: 12:14am On Oct 09, 2016
akaymotus:

if you have to, do it to save money. to me it not that bad as people potray it. IMean its not the bad buses in lagos. its conducive with wifi, socket and restroom

1 Like

Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by LagosismyHome(f): 1:33am On Oct 09, 2016
akaymotus:

Dear lagosismyhome, walspring, Oludare1 and other gurus in the house, thanks for the great job you guys are doing on here.

Please I am to resume on the third of January, 2017 ( School is in fort lauderdale, FL).

I intend to leave Nigeria with my wife towards the last week in December , we are presently thinking of booking our flight to JFK then a bus to Fort lauderdale FL. However my friend keep saying the journey will be too long and we might not enjoy it but from our own calculation, we will be saving close to 150k NGN.

Now my questions:

1. Do you think taking a bus is a bad idea?
2. From JFK how do we locate greyhound bus station and how do we get to this location?
3. Is it okay to travel on the 29th of Dec if I'm resuming Jan 3?

Lastly, walspring please I am interested in the discounted flight plan.

Thank you all.

If it was summer then sure ...u just be tired but it is manageable but now its getting cold. I dont know sha.... except u go full prepared. Socks , winter padding and comfortable shoes

Yes its ok to enter 29 if i20 start date is jan 3rd. ...
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by ferdinad: 1:44am On Oct 09, 2016
sarnucey:

I am also fresh bro. To be candid, great minds lie within. Also expecting admission decision from Murray.
To all experts in the house, I salute. Looking forward to answers when my questions pop up.
i

Please any help on this matter
Re: General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 10 by biikeys(m): 2:04am On Oct 09, 2016
Christian129:
Please can you change your program from masters to PhD after getting admitted into the University? Abeg help o

Anything is possible...if you can push for it

(1) (2) (3) ... (116) (117) (118) (119) (120) (121) (122) ... (405)

U.S. Immigration Questions: Ask A U.S. Consular Officer / General U.s.a (student) Visa Enquiries-part 9 / Yankee: through the eyes of a village boy.

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 55
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.