Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,151,601 members, 7,812,969 topics. Date: Tuesday, 30 April 2024 at 12:17 AM

Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy - Politics (6) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Politics / Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy (41538 Views)

Northern Governors Blame Southeast Politicians For Zone’s Backwardness / Biafra Agitation Affecting Southeast’s Economy, Says Kalu / New Alignments Threaten Apga’s Role In Southeast (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by cheruv: 12:20pm On Aug 26, 2016
MrTour:
Please tell IPob, TwoPob, ThreePob, FourPob and Re-Ipob they are on their own. We don't need disunity, we need solid reforms and transformation.
And you gave you the right on behalf of Igbos to speak about IPOB?

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Nobody: 12:21pm On Aug 26, 2016
MadCow1:

Enugu... That's where I would place a tourism.
the guy wanted to balance it up...if Enugu becomes centre of tourism what portfolio will be given to Owerri?

1 Like

Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by mandarin: 12:22pm On Aug 26, 2016
Wonderful event. I however think Nigeria will be better off having Federal and States of which STATES will represent the fusion of current states into bigger regions to form mega states e.g. Alaigbo state comprising all igbo people and willing kinsmen, so also will be Oduduwa, Arewa, Izon etc into like 14 states seven in the north and seven in the south and the FCT.
Each of these states will have autonomy, be it internal security, economic and resource management, tax and business laws, have their own constitutions , courts up to supreme courts.
States will be responsible to all their citizens and residents, education, minerals and all infrastructural developments.
Means of national income for Nigeria will be through various taxes from VAT, the same across Nigeria at 5% shared 50-50 with states based on income generated from each state, mineral exploration taxes etc will follow the same trend.
There will be no need for agitations under this system as every ethnic group within a state can form a local district, kingdom, principality, region , emirate, or whatever they want to be known e.g. The Urhobo in say a Bendel state will be an autonomous region in the state so also Etsako, Ishan, Bini, Isoko etc
Such political structure across ethnic, tribal and religious lines will give various groups their own cocoons within the larger Federal Nigeria.
Local taxes will differ, although the same education system but approaches, systems and funding will differ e.g. Yoruba may become a compulsory subject/ courses across Oduduwa.
This I believe will not only answer the Biafran/Alaigbo question but also preserve the rights of minorities and usher in serious developments
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Frankmac(m): 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2016
[quote author=LoveMachine post=48805841]http://guardian.ng/news/igbo-move-to-boost-southeast-economy/

Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu

A move is underway by leaders of the southeast geopolitical zone to forge economic integration and reposition the region for development.The initiative will have five governors and an array of prominent Igbo leaders from religious, economic, educational and political platforms rubbing minds together to tackle decrepit infrastructure and leadership void in the region.

Under the aegis of South East Leadership and Development Initiative (SELDI), the move stems from “a near state of hopeless that has befallen the southeast since the end of the Civil War and in particular, since 1999, when the present democratic experience took off.”

The leaders, it was learnt, reviewed the state of the zone in the past 17 years and concluded: “The present democratic dispensation has not helped the area.”Besides governors of the region, the initiative is also being driven by the Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu; former Commonwealth Secretary General, Emeka Anayoku; former Ministers Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Prof. Charles Soludo, and Prof. Barth Nnaji.

Other include Dr Idika Kalu Idika, Mr. Tony Elumelu, Prof. Pat Utomi, Dr Oby Ezekwesili, Prof. Pita Ejiofor, Prof. Elo Amucheazi, Rear Admiral Ebitu Ukiwe (rtd), Chief Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), former Governor Peter Obi, Dr Orji Kalu, Chukwuemeka Ezeife, Prof. Philip Emeagwali, and author, Chimamanda Adichie.

A source told The Guardian: “The assumption that the Federal Government should play a leading role in reactivating the moribund infrastructure that stares the zone in the face is the greatest undoing of the region.”

If you look at it, critically, you will know that over 80 per cent of our active youths have remained without jobs, thus wasting their productive age. If we have the quantum of investments that have remained moribund working, we won’t have the level of unemployment existing in the southeast.”

A document obtained exclusively by The Guardi fostering the development of Nigeria, especially the southeast region, focusing on leadership development in order to change the fortunes of the people, and giving hope to present and future generations. SELDI is the response to the developmental gaps and challenges that confronted the southeast after theGood move
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by uckennety(m): 12:26pm On Aug 26, 2016
Kingzy4pep:
Funny enough, you are the one showing the attitude of a kid here since you were unable to make a point without insulting yourself and your generation.

I'm above exchanging abusive words with people on a faceless forum..

The fact that some parts of Delta and Rivers state speaks Ibo doesn't make them Igbos. What do you wanna argue.
Don't quote me again.

I won't quote you but i'll........

5 Likes

Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by shamecurls(m): 12:29pm On Aug 26, 2016
ImperialYoruba:
This move is 47yrs old ad still nothing to show for it.

grin grin grin

They have always been boosting since 200BC
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by chrisxxx(m): 12:30pm On Aug 26, 2016
cheruv:

I didn't even say the whole SS Igbo...just the areas that was stolen from the East central state in 1976 and yet you're panicking shocked
Bro, you don't have to be sentimental about this... Lemme ask you Are you not tired of the purported attachment of SE to SS I myself am tired of it but still can't help it bkos 40% of Igboland is in the SS.
Some of your SSners claim that there are no Igbos in the SS...and my aim is to make that claim true by removing the remaining 40% of Igboland still found in the SS.
When this is achieved, no SE would attach to you anymore cool
Thank you for revealing the communique of your meeting to us. BTW where exactly was taken from u?
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by shamecurls(m): 12:31pm On Aug 26, 2016
shaibu123:
Is well overdue,link up the five states with good road network and rail system.Encourage our people to invest back home.Why the fighting over swampy lands in Ladipo,Alaba,Aja,lekki etc.All this can be done in the East in the presence of people who appreciate them and not those that want you to die in lagoon.Five years only the region will change for good.Our graduates need not to travel to lagos or Abuja in search of jobs.Ethiopia Air just landed the first cargo plane in Enugu,we don't need to go as far as lagos to export some items.This will as well create jobs,let attract more foreign Airlines to do same and open up south east for the world..

You re very funny

You will make a good comedian!
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by HomeOfMe(f): 12:33pm On Aug 26, 2016
This should have come first before Agitating for B.iafra! Now let the Igbos develop the south-east to the level that would make her strong and 100% self reliant.
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by uckennety(m): 12:40pm On Aug 26, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

please which part of east central state was annexed to cross river

Ndoki and legbo e.t.c
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by uckennety(m): 12:40pm On Aug 26, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

please which part of east central state was annexed to cross river

Ndoki and legbo e.t.c

Use google 4 clearer view
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by TipsyDC: 12:50pm On Aug 26, 2016
good morning to my igbo brodas, na now day break for una eye.

1 Like

Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by P0intBlank(m): 12:56pm On Aug 26, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

the guy wanted to balance it up...if Enugu becomes centre of tourism what portfolio will be given to Owerri?

Owerri could be the citadel of learning. With the number of tertiary institutions located there, it somewhat is. The facilities just need to pimped up
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Michel2013: 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2016
i can see the excitements that follow this development as if we have gotten our Biafra Independence, this shows that Igbos are really tired of nigera state as it were.the enjoy of any an average Igbo man is to be freed from the enclavement we find ourselves in ngieria.govts over the world gulvanise their investors to grow strong in their territories but in nigeria Igbos investing in other regions are hated,maligned and denigrated while our federal govt keep wasting our money gallivanting across the globe in the name of wooing foreign investors,OBJ did that alot and this cluessless Bubu is still on it right now. then i ask myself who is an investor? must an investor come from outside nigeria to be appreciated? while are they wasting our money seek foreign investors while the local investors of Igbo extraction are not appreciated and efforts are made to pull them down?

so when i came across this Igbo global economy development initiative i was very happy.really i just wish that it becomes a huge success.i pray that participants would go beyond personal grudges and party affiliations.let us for once be sincere to commit to developments that can uplift and transform our region and our people. honest i am tired of hausa/fulani barbarism and yoruba tantrums and jealousy. this had made me and all my friends not set up any investments not even a structure outside Igboland. please the participants must to see this move as the last hope for us all to develop our region without hoping on nigeria govt. let us in embark on PPP schemes for all infrastructures in SE such as sea port,railway,power generation. we are ready to pay for cost as tolls. yes we can do it.Anambra state has started it and Anambra people are coming home to invest heavily but we need enabling infrastructures like i mentioned above. we have people we just need direction. enough of this shit.Igbo kwenu!

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Splashme: 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2016
ificatchmodeh:
Long over due..
Please quick action..no time..
Ndi igbo..mma ma nu!
Ogadiriri alaigbo na mma..
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Nobody: 1:09pm On Aug 26, 2016
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by MadCow1: 1:10pm On Aug 26, 2016
blues20:

My friend nye efe.... why are obsess with the guy? Abi the guy nyash your girl before? You don't comment without popping his name. Mind you, I'm not his fan, but this is my observation, and ain't good for you man. undecided undecided

Uncle you haven't observed anything Biko. I only mention Kanu when the topic is about him. My mentioning him on this thread is a one off.. Go check my posts and see how far back you will search to find the last time I mentioned him.

Uncle election Observer. grin
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by MadCow1: 1:11pm On Aug 26, 2016
P0intBlank:

Owerri could be the citadel of learning. With the number of tertiary institutions located there, it somewhat is. The facilities just need to pimped up

PointB, Na you be this? grin

But I agree with you on Imo being the citadel of education as they have quite a number of higher learning institutions there.
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Nobody: 1:22pm On Aug 26, 2016
P0intBlank:

Enugu too has so much institutions as owerri to qualify for citadel of learning..as Enugu can completely replace anything u mention of Owerri..

to me i think Owerri should be rather administrative block while Enugu becomes the tourist zone/citadel of learning
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Nobody: 1:24pm On Aug 26, 2016
MadCow1:

PointB, Na you be this? grin

But I agree with you on Imo being the citadel of education as they have quite a number of higher learning institutions there.
Enugu has much more higher institutions than owerri
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Maski87: 1:26pm On Aug 26, 2016
cstr15:
We are talking about brilliant people and the devt of SE, you are talking about buhari and his clownish administration which nobody gives a fucck about.
Who in that list is in buhari's pathetic level? Is it prof.Nnaji,Prof Emeagwali, Emeka Anyaoku, prof Utomi,Tony elumelu or NOI or even chimamanda?
Well other than Ms. Adichie, all these names and so called intellectuals have been representing ibos even before you were born, and the South east has been in a pathetic state because the have only lined there pockets under the impression that the represent ibos , go to there hometowns and see them mansions in the middle of abject poverty
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Nobody: 1:31pm On Aug 26, 2016
braden107:
All igbos should be deported from the akwa cross region. A wall needs to be built to clearly define the borders . The Akwa cross people would prefer to lead a progressive conservative society devoid of dealings with igbo region. The Akwa cross region wishes the igbo region goodluck in their endeavours.
This mumu don come again. cheesy cheesy cheesy

10 Likes

Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by anigold(m): 1:42pm On Aug 26, 2016
LoveMachine:
http://guardian.ng/news/igbo-move-to-boost-southeast-economy/

Deputy Senate President, Senator Ike Ekweremadu

A move is underway by leaders of the southeast geopolitical zone to forge economic integration and reposition the region for development.The initiative will have five governors and an array of prominent Igbo leaders from religious, economic, educational and political platforms rubbing minds together to tackle decrepit infrastructure and leadership void in the region.

Under the aegis of South East Leadership and Development Initiative (SELDI), the move stems from “a near state of hopeless that has befallen the southeast since the end of the Civil War and in particular, since 1999, when the present democratic experience took off.”

The leaders, it was learnt, reviewed the state of the zone in the past 17 years and concluded: “The present democratic dispensation has not helped the area.”Besides governors of the region, the initiative is also being driven by the Deputy President of the Senate, Ike Ekweremadu; former Commonwealth Secretary General, Emeka Anayoku; former Ministers Ngozi Okonjo Iweala, Prof. Charles Soludo, and Prof. Barth Nnaji.

Other include Dr Idika Kalu Idika, Mr. Tony Elumelu, Prof. Pat Utomi, Dr Oby Ezekwesili, Prof. Pita Ejiofor, Prof. Elo Amucheazi, Rear Admiral Ebitu Ukiwe (rtd), Chief Olisa Agbakoba (SAN), former Governor Peter Obi, Dr Orji Kalu, Chukwuemeka Ezeife, Prof. Philip Emeagwali, and author, Chimamanda Adichie.

A source told The Guardian: “The assumption that the Federal Government should play a leading role in reactivating the moribund infrastructure that stares the zone in the face is the greatest undoing of the region.”

If you look at it, critically, you will know that over 80 per cent of our active youths have remained without jobs, thus wasting their productive age. If we have the quantum of investments that have remained moribund working, we won’t have the level of unemployment existing in the southeast.”

A document obtained exclusively by The Guardian said SELDI “is dedicated to transforming and fostering the development of Nigeria, especially the southeast region, focusing on leadership development in order to change the fortunes of the people, and giving hope to present and future generations. SELDI is the response to the developmental gaps and challenges that confronted the southeast after the Civil War, which devastated the region.”

its high time Nigerians wake up and stop depending on the FG )who cant even solve her problems)..
America is great because there are many great cities in the US.. Go home and contribute your quota to the development of: your village,of your state ,of your people and even your enemies..
The problem is not most of us are just self-centered..

its a good development regions should copy that..
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Triple333: 1:48pm On Aug 26, 2016
cheruv:
They should also strategize on how to recover territories of the old East central state that were annexed to Rivers and Cross River States together with the modalities that'd see the creation of Anioma as either the 6th SE state or 7th SS state of Nigeria.
This has been long overdue though undecided
Tank u Nwana. But if you ask me I ll go for state merger instead of creating new state. State creation has divided us a lot.
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Triple333: 1:50pm On Aug 26, 2016
Jayceo:
It is high time Intelligent,Patriotic Youths with the interest of Nigerias growth at heart start getting involved. We can't leave the state of Nigeria in the hands of this same criminals we keep recycling.Lets join together and take back our country. Imagine 100,000 youths contribute 50,000 that's already 5 billion naira enough for campaign among other things. We can either assemble a strong force or Join a notable party with the interest of the Nation screened by us. Enough of the Nairaland compalaining and social media rants. Lets get to work youths of Nigeria. The power is in our hands.Lets Restructure the Fiscal federalism of this Nation and Make it great.

Note:- By youths I don't mean small minded,corrupt, tribalistic, visionless youths

To gain more insight on this please go through this thread https://www.nairaland.com/3274457/calling-all-nigerian-youths

The Northern youths may not understand and follow up. So is... I don’t know!
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Triple333: 1:51pm On Aug 26, 2016
Nwachukwu! Umuchukwu. Udo diri unu!
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by chrysso83(m): 1:57pm On Aug 26, 2016
The only thing am not comfortable with in this is dat its been spear headed by the governors and politicians. I would ve preffered big time industrialists spear heading it

1 Like

Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by RickyTan: 2:12pm On Aug 26, 2016
Chigold101:
i dont believe this story.

Madam Ngozi Okonjo-Iwela, Prof Pat Utomi & Tony Elumelu are not from the South East region. Three of them are Deltans so...

I doubt this story

They are full Igbos So all good
Ohaneze and Igbos know our people whether from geographic Ss/se no matter. Igbo is Igbo.
So next time read the title- " Igbos move to boost...."

2 Likes

Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by MadCow1: 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2016
Enuguboy4nsk:

Enugu has much more higher institutions than owerri

Namely?

I know Imo State has;

FUTO

IMSU

ALVAN IKOKU FCE

College of Nursing and Health Sciences Amaigbo

FEDERAL POLYTHECNIC NEKEDE

IMO STATE POLYTECHNIC UMUAGWO

IMO STATE TECHNICAL SKILLS ACQUISITION INSTITUTION ORLU

NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY..
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Nely77(m): 2:22pm On Aug 26, 2016
This is a good move with the category of people whose names are on the list, especially Prof. Phillip Emeagwali. He is an inspiration to many serious-minded students from the region, myself inclusive. I think it is a good thing if he should get involved and bring his wealth of knowledge home than wasting in America. We need him here and now.
Re: Igbo Move To Boost Southeast Economy by Nely77(m): 2:25pm On Aug 26, 2016
MadCow1:

Namely?

I know Imo State has;

FUTO

IMSU

ALVAN IKOKU FCE

College of Nursing and Health Sciences Amaigbo

FEDERAL POLYTHECNIC NEKEDE

IMO STATE POLYTECHNIC UMUAGWO

IMO STATE TECHNICAL SKILLS ACQUISITION INSTITUTION ORLU

NATIONAL OPEN UNIVERSITY..

I am sure you did not mention all. There is another one at Egbu Road Owerri, and the ones I cannot remember now

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (Reply)

Jonathan, Northern Governors In Closed-door Meeting At Obasanjo’s Residence / Osinbajo Visits Rivers State Today (Photos) / Opposition Is Not Madness— Reno Tells Man Who Said He Heard Buhari Is Dead

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 66
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.