Welcome, Guest: Register On Nairaland / LOGIN! / Trending / Recent / New
Stats: 3,153,204 members, 7,818,695 topics. Date: Sunday, 05 May 2024 at 10:00 PM

When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. - Business (2) - Nairaland

Nairaland Forum / Nairaland / General / Business / When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. (60586 Views)

Don't just imagine, start! / Paystack Records N1 Billion In Monthly Transactions Value / When Naira Was Naira (2) (3) (4)

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply) (Go Down)

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Nobody: 4:37pm On Sep 02, 2016
jmoore:

Why is Dangote increasing the price of cement? Is he importing it too? This is beyond 'Patronizing made in Nigeria'.
Dangote run his business with foreign loan. He is servicing his debt in dollar.

2 Likes

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Xionez(m): 4:37pm On Sep 02, 2016
7k for wedding...if I hear.
Nigerian currency has lost direction.

1 Like

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by macaranta(m): 4:38pm On Sep 02, 2016
Wow nice
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Qualer: 4:38pm On Sep 02, 2016
ubsilas:
OP do something about your fingernail. it looks terrible
undecided

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 02, 2016
But to work and make 1 naira then, you go hear wheyn
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Nobody: 4:38pm On Sep 02, 2016
The sum total is not even enough to do Airtel subscription nau undecided
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Omotall(m): 4:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
Ok,we don see ham,who to blame now
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by helphelp: 4:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
And then crude oil took over
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by bigiyaro(m): 4:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
I think ur dad was a meticulous n responsible man only such men will quietly sit n plan in detail. I hope you are like him.

2 Likes

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Perfecttouch(m): 4:39pm On Sep 02, 2016
prevail23:
Good afternoon everyone..
So i was going through some of my dad's files and i came accross some lists,items used for his late mum's burial and a house he built...
I was so suprised to see 1COW=#250..5FOWL=#10..
What!!!..
can you please show us the picture of the house?
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by itzmejerry(m): 4:40pm On Sep 02, 2016
hit like if you think its not the ordinary Nigerians faults but the people holding powers

1 Like

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by jmoore(m): 4:41pm On Sep 02, 2016
tuale4u:

Dangote run his business with foreign loan. He is servicing his debt in dollar.

I only used Dangote as a case study. What of producers of Indomie etc?

Almost every local manufacturing company is increasing the price of their goods.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Nobody: 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2016
jmoore:

Almost every local manufacturing company is increasing the price of their goods.

indomie raw materials (flour) are imported. so d price will go up.
Bread flours are imported. so the price will go up.

Tomatoes is fully local. Basket of tomato in delta state is less than 2500 naira now. In the north it is about 1500 naira or less for basket of tomatoes despite naira devaluation. products without dollar component have not change much in price.

If you compare price of tomatoes today and the price by this same time last year, you will discover that the difference is price is little. The slight difference is mainly due to increase cost of transportation (Fuel is imported with dollar)
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Adonis86(m): 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2016
Kai Kai full the list.... Nowadays we look for Brandy,Champagnes, Moet,etc.
Even gunpowder cost in those fays because it was immediately after the civil war
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by 900warriorz: 4:42pm On Sep 02, 2016
The memory of the good old days makes me wanna cry for the future of this nation

Then, all sub-sectors of the nigerian economy were intergrated. An economy were things were made locally and consumed that we evenhad alot to export! Westernization is one of the major factor killing nigeria. Now, no one wants to eat ofada rice or locally made rice, no one wants to wear aba made shoes and clothes, even the guinea, kampala and ankara wearers now use their local attire to sew shirts, trousers and suit(everyone has a right to fashion sense though) but indirectly, people outside won't value our worth again since all we do is copy them....Innoson has now shut down operations for the time being, Dunlop tyres packed their load and left nigeria because their tyres(original) became expensive compared to imported tyres! Nigeria,which way naa?

Miss when i'd use #10 buy the solo bread (onyobutter) they sell for #150 today!when i use 50kobo to buy 5 chewing gum etc..

3 Likes

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by allytinted: 4:43pm On Sep 02, 2016
How Are We Sure You Didn't Just Write This? Just Asking Anyway.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Nobody: 4:46pm On Sep 02, 2016
jmichlins:
as much as I will want to blame the government we as citizens share part of the blame. That was when BATA was the shoe everyone wears, clothes were imported from Aba and not Dubai, there were palm oil in the east, cocoa in the west, ground nuts in the north. Though government needs fiscal policies and huge investment into the power and transport sector to stimulate growth again.

The world is advancing, nothing comes cheap.

2 Likes

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Vomm: 4:46pm On Sep 02, 2016
Ur father can keep records for Nigeria.
LOL
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Shinor(m): 4:50pm On Sep 02, 2016
prevail23:
ur ryt bro..
But do u think it can be like dis again?
Of course it can. Are we not the ones who are requesting for Gucci shoes instead of Made in Nigeria? We had Volkswagen of Nigeria and Peugeot Automobile. Most big men drove 505. Middle class 504 and Beetle. Only a few had Mercedes Benz. Undergraduates were in Nigerian universities so we were not using our foreign reserve to service foreign school fees. Our holidays were spent going to visit our uncles and aunties in other parts of Nigeria. Today you know where people prefer. To stand up and be blaming the present or previous governments shows we still haven't learnt our lesson. It's nobody's fault but the people's. This is the outcome of wrong choices made decades ago.
When I went to school every school child wore Bata or Lennards shoes. Imagine how much those companies were making then? It is not rocket science. If we continue to import toothpick with our foreign reserve and all our politicians are stealing and stashing the loot abroad, this is what will happen.

3 Likes

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Fedayeen02: 4:53pm On Sep 02, 2016
ubsilas:
OP do something about your fingernail. it looks terrible
undecided
you dey find trouble
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by 989900: 4:53pm On Sep 02, 2016
jmoore:

Because, everyone goes back to the same hyper-inflated market.

Increased fuel, increased vehicle prices, increased imported raw materials, and e.t.c. . . . even mobile phone.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by chicoMX(m): 4:53pm On Sep 02, 2016
supervision #1000...who see that one? cheesy
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by jeff1607(m): 4:55pm On Sep 02, 2016
op abeg make I see the cover of that book.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Mockinbird: 4:56pm On Sep 02, 2016
Change is difficult, not changing is fatal.
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by vivaciousvivi(f): 4:56pm On Sep 02, 2016
That note book needs to be in a museum!
Goat N23 and cow N250!.
But then again, that was 1978 - most of us weren't born then.
Kai, our parents enjoyed o. What is even more surprising for me was that OP's dad had a column for Kobo grin

3 Likes

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by cococandy(f): 4:59pm On Sep 02, 2016
In zombies' voices. "GEJ caused it"

2 Likes

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by TonyeBarcanista(m): 5:01pm On Sep 02, 2016
mickyeddi:
The days when petrol was #5/litre, solo cocacola was#10, 35cl was #15, orobo was #20.
That was 1978 not 1998. as at then a bottle of coke would go for 50kobo or arounf #1
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by pippimp(m): 5:01pm On Sep 02, 2016
Shinor:

Of course it can. Are we not the ones who are requesting for Gucci shoes instead of Made in Nigeria? We had Volkswagen of Nigeria and Peugeot Automobile. Most big men drove 505. Middle class 504 and Beetle. Only a few had Mercedes Benz. Undergraduates were in Nigerian universities so we were not using our foreign reserve to service foreign school fees. Our holidays were spent going to visit our uncles and aunties in other parts of Nigeria. Today you know where people prefer. To stand up and be blaming the present or previous governments shows we still haven't learnt our lesson. It's nobody's fault but the people's. This is the outcome of wrong choices made decades ago.
When I went to school every school child wore Bata or Lennards shoes. Imagine how much those companies were making then? It is not rocket science. If we continue to import toothpick with our foreign reserve and all our politicians are stealing and stashing the loot abroad, this is what will happen.

Decades ago? I don't think you fully understand what is going on. Nigerians are still making the same mistakes today.

3 Likes

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by joystickextend1(m): 5:01pm On Sep 02, 2016
Hmm good ol days..
Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by anonimi: 5:04pm On Sep 02, 2016

2 Likes 1 Share

Re: When Naira Still Had Value! Just Imagine.. by Mustapha111888(m): 5:05pm On Sep 02, 2016
prevail23:
Good afternoon everyone..
So i was going through some of my dad's files and i came accross some lists,items used for his late mum's burial and a house he built...
I was so suprised to see 1COW=#250..5FOWL=#10..
What!!!..
U yourself must have tey ooo

(1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (Reply)

The Black Billionaires 2019 - Forbes / Stealing In The UK Vs Stealing In Nigeria / Important Info On Bvn Registration!!!!

(Go Up)

Sections: politics (1) business autos (1) jobs (1) career education (1) romance computers phones travel sports fashion health
religion celebs tv-movies music-radio literature webmasters programming techmarket

Links: (1) (2) (3) (4) (5) (6) (7) (8) (9) (10)

Nairaland - Copyright © 2005 - 2024 Oluwaseun Osewa. All rights reserved. See How To Advertise. 34
Disclaimer: Every Nairaland member is solely responsible for anything that he/she posts or uploads on Nairaland.